The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 9 April 2018, 06:49 AM   #1
statsman
"TRF" Member

Newb Asking About Fakes

I would like to get my wife a simple SS Cartier Pasha. I was looking at auction sites, and I see plenty at great prices. I was confused though- several on eBay had sellers in the US, but shipped from Japan. Huh. So I googled ”fake Cartier Pasha” and learned that there is evidently an industry around making these.

The “other than Rolex” sales board has, from trusted sellers, Pashas around $2,700 and up. I see them elsewhere for around half. Should I assume any listed for significantly less than here is bogus? Is there a way to verify authenticity- papers, pic of movement?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 08:13 AM   #2
Tysonoxide
Banned

Watch: 116520
I wouldn't worry about buying on ebay, selling high value items on the other hand is risky. They have a zero tolerance policy for fakes, so I doubt high feedback sellers would risk it.
Tysonoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 08:38 AM   #3
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
There are 40 million FAKE Cartier made versus 50 Million GENUINE EVERY year.

Due to basically a white dial with Roman numerals many fake Cartier's are hard to tell.
Post photos here 1st, and we can try to help

In your Ebay search limit search to USA people ONLY
Adam
Old 9 April 2018, 12:07 PM   #4
sourdough
Banned

Watch: 116610LN, 16610LV
how big is the seller? does he have alot of feedbacks?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 05:42 PM   #5
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
Be very careful, follow advice from the good folks here, and remember to buy the seller. I have bought 3 pre owned Rolex watches, and before parting with any money, carried out checks on the sellers, spoke to them, asked loads of questions, satisfied myself that I would be able to contact them if there were problems arising, and got myself three great watches. Due diligence, and you should be OK.
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 02:29 AM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Newb Asking About Fakes

I would like to get my wife a simple SS Cartier Pasha. I was looking at auction sites, and I see plenty at great prices. I was confused though- several on eBay had sellers in the US, but shipped from Japan. Huh. So I googled ”fake Cartier Pasha” and learned that there is evidently an industry around making these.

The “other than Rolex” sales board has, from trusted sellers, Pashas around $2,700 and up. I see them elsewhere for around half. Should I assume any listed for significantly less than here is bogus? Is there a way to verify authenticity- papers, pic of movement?

With all due respect if this is your concern, why are you not buying from an Authorized Cartier dealer?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 03:09 AM   #7
statsman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
With all due respect if this is your concern, why are you not buying from an Authorized Cartier dealer?
Because I am cheap.

Thanks to all for the tips and good advice!
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 03:36 AM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I would like to get my wife a simple SS Cartier Pasha.
Quote:
Because I am cheap.

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 04:45 AM   #9
jackdot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because I am cheap.

Japan is fairly anti counterfeit BTW, although no country is perfect. All the fakes come from China anyways.

Was the Japanese ebay seller elady01? They are fairly well known and reputable as far as I know. Assuming it is them, it is cheaper to buy it from their web store. I have never bought anything from them personally.

Just to reiterate, the Cariter reps can be very difficult to spot, even more so if they have a real Cartier strap on it.
jackdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 04:46 AM   #10
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because I am cheap.

you are going to get exactly what you pay for. Market prices are surprisingly consistent as its a world wide market in this day and age. Too good to be true and it probably is. Even if its being sold at market prices, buy the seller as unless you are an expert you might not even know if its real or not.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 07:58 AM   #11
Rollie808
"TRF" Member

When buying from eBay, always ask the seller to send you addition pictures of goods. And/or a size comparison picture next to a specific item for example. You want to make sure seller has the authentic product on hand. Ask lots of questions too. Buy the seller...
Rollie808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 02:04 PM   #12
cajunron
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Being cheap can cost you big money.