The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 August 2015, 12:10 PM   #31
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
RM's are works of art, as many high end watches are. Art work tend to elicit strong emotional response, either a strong liking or disliking.
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2015, 12:39 PM   #32
mikeceee
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Patek,Rolex
Seems to me if someone likes something one needn't go out of their way to point out - in an insulting fashion - how much they dislike it. If one were asking an opinion of people's thoughts - different story (kind of). But this was simply sharing pictures. Which we want to encourage. Not dissuade with negativity. Just my two cents.
Old 20 August 2015, 04:17 AM   #33
RRP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
that looks like a cheap and poorly made toy
I do agree that this particular model does look 'toyish'. But that's the great thing about it. You could wear this watch anywhere, you could walk through the roughest areas of the world and a potential mugger wouldn't even give this $612k watch a second glance. You couldn't do the same with a $2k Air King, let alone a gold sub or presidential. That's what the super wealthy want these days, they want stealth and they also want exclusivity, they want the knowledge that they can travel the world and will not see another one in the wild.

On the technical side of things, rest assured that Richard Mille is as high as it gets. I read somewhere that Richard Mille invest more into the creation of their screws than some really high end swiss brands invest into entire movements. And it's not uncommon to find them using components that are made from space age materials that even NASA struggle to acquire. These components would literally be much cheaper if they were just made from solid 24k gold. Crazy brand, crazy ideas and a massive divide of opinion for alot of people.

But this watch is a great paradox, it looks like a $10 toy, but is on a higher level of watchmaking perfection than a Patek Philippe. And the best thing is, you can wear this 24/7 as a beater. Wear it anywhere. No one will swipe it off your wrist.
RRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2015, 04:55 AM   #34
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRP View Post
I do agree that this particular model does look 'toyish'. But that's the great thing about it. You could wear this watch anywhere, you could walk through the roughest areas of the world and a potential mugger wouldn't even give this $612k watch a second glance. You couldn't do the same with a $2k Air King, let alone a gold sub or presidential. That's what the super wealthy want these days, they want stealth and they also want exclusivity, they want the knowledge that they can travel the world and will not see another one in the wild.

On the technical side of things, rest assured that Richard Mille is as high as it gets. I read somewhere that Richard Mille invest more into the creation of their screws than some really high end swiss brands invest into entire movements. And it's not uncommon to find them using components that are made from space age materials that even NASA struggle to acquire. These components would literally be much cheaper if they were just made from solid 24k gold. Crazy brand, crazy ideas and a massive divide of opinion for alot of people.

But this watch is a great paradox, it looks like a $10 toy, but is on a higher level of watchmaking perfection than a Patek Philippe. And the best thing is, you can wear this 24/7 as a beater. Wear it anywhere. No one will swipe it off your wrist.
This is a great overview, but I'd add that part of its paradoxical nature is that it's chameleon-like. Ok, I suppose that's not a paradox per se, but bear with me. The watch looks how you want it to look. Throw on genes and a t-shirt and it looks casual and sporty. Tuck it under a suit or dress it up with a nice button down and it looks classy and substantial. Best of all, it's so light and easy to wear. With my APs, the first thing I do when I get to work is take them off so I can type, etc. I wear my Mille all day without remembering it's on.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2015, 08:47 AM   #35
RRP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
This is a great overview, but I'd add that part of its paradoxical nature is that it's chameleon-like. Ok, I suppose that's not a paradox per se, but bear with me. The watch looks how you want it to look. Throw on genes and a t-shirt and it looks casual and sporty. Tuck it under a suit or dress it up with a nice button down and it looks classy and substantial. Best of all, it's so light and easy to wear. With my APs, the first thing I do when I get to work is take them off so I can type, etc. I wear my Mille all day without remembering it's on.

Awesome :) What RM do you have?
RRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2015, 08:50 AM   #36
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Scroll up, friend. The RG lotus.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2015, 09:06 AM   #37
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRP View Post