The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 7 March 2006, 11:52 PM   #1
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
TRFites, I need some serious advice....

I have been offered an unbelievable offer and wanted to get the advice of my friends here. You all know my love for my Yacht-Master, but I have a chance to trade it for a watch that is much more rare and with an equal or better movement.

I have been offered a Panerai 190, with a JLC 8 days movement. This movement is only manufactured for this particular watch so it is very rare. I will have some pics later today, but for the first time since I have owned the YM I am torn.

I really think that I can replace the YM later on, but a deal like this on a 190 does not come up often if at all.

Chime in guys, wht do you think? I am really torn, and don't know what to do.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2006, 11:54 PM   #2
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Daren, knowing how you are not tied to any of your watches - unlike some of us - I would say go for it. This could be a once in a millenium offer. And as you say, the YM is a dime a dozen. You'll be able to pick one up anytime.

The only question is: How long are you going to keep this PAM?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2006, 11:55 PM   #3
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Here are a few pics, the gold hands on this baby are beautiful.
http://www.dream-watch.com/pic/Panerai/PAM190G-1a.jpg
http://www.panerai.com/img/2/prodott...94_vista_2.jpg

Old 7 March 2006, 11:57 PM   #4
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
Daren, knowing how you are not tied to any of your watches - unlike some of us - I would say go for it. This could be a once in a millenium offer. And as you say, the YM is a dime a dozen. You'll be able to pick one up anytime.

The only question is: How long are you going to keep this PAM?
I really can't say how long, but it will fit the bill as the dress watch I don't have. I can justify reasons for and against, that is why I am not sure.

Old 8 March 2006, 12:42 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Yes I would tend to Agree with Ed the Pam 190 is becoming quite a well sort after watch,and IMO will increase in value.You can pick up a Y/M quite easy anywhere,and at any time,there are thousands of those around.And that JLC movement is far Superior in every way, almost all hand built and not mass produced,not like the Y/Ms.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2006, 01:45 AM   #6
----

Daren, you know my answer - go for it!

The YM is a very common watch compared to the Pam, so I would say the Pam should be the new "keeper" on your list. I know you love that YM, but it is only a Rolex after all........
Old 8 March 2006, 01:51 AM   #7
Atomic

Daren, come on.... like you have to ask?

This is 100% a no-brainer. YMs are dime a dozen and easily replaced. The JLC movement is only made for the 190. The classic cushion case, YG hands, sandwich dial, the 8 day movement's history with Panerai... no question.

Remember some of those original 8 day movement watches from the 50s recently went at auction for close to US$100,000. Granted they were original, but who's to say this limited production watch won't see the same exponential growth in the future (assuming you hold on to it for more than a few weeks, LOL).

JUST DO IT!
Old 8 March 2006, 01:58 AM   #8
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Go for the YM Darren, there are lots of them around and you could get parts very easily should you ever need them. Why go for a very rare watch at a discount price? Whilst you are at it buy some shares in the South Sea Bubble Company.

Honestly man, why are you asking the obvious?

Get the Panny!!

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2006, 02:29 AM   #9
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
You know my answer Daren.
A Pair of Pannies. Not even a second thought over here buddy.
BUT, you must wear it when you come to Seattle this fall.
Maybe by then, you might want to flip it ( ala JJ) and I will be there with an empty wrist waiting.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2006, 02:36 AM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
I don't know what to say, Daren....I'm shattered! To see that gorgeous YM go for that Panny which seriously does absolutely nothing for me!

But it's your call and your decision. I won't say anything further. I only hope for one thing....that you sell this 8-Day model some day and make a helluva lot of cash...and then buy back the YM or any other ROLEX of your choice.

Good luck in your moves - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2006, 03:45 AM   #11
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Go for it, Daren. You can always get a YM. You may not get another chance to get this Panny.
Old 8 March 2006, 05:35 AM   #12
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
I say do it. That YM isn't THAT special. Afterall, JJ has one too (who hasn't, these days)
Old 8 March 2006, 06:46 AM   #13
AJC
"TRF" Member

Hey Daren,

If you are taking the Daytona clasp off and refitting the original clasp back on the YM I would say go for it.(Once this has been done she is just an ordinary old YM which can easily be replaced.)

I don't know nothing about this model Panny,or in fact most Pannies but it sounds special and is worthy of doing something.

Aaron
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2006, 06:58 AM   #14
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Daren, How robust is the JLC movement, will it with stand what you have to offer it? Shinny SS for a dress watch?

If your thinking of getting it to flip down the road and need the capital of the YM to get it well, then flip your YM and get the 190 and store it since it's already semi rare. As you say you can get another Rolex YM when you want ie. no supply shortage.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2006, 07:27 AM   #15
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Don't forget, Daren was going to sell the YM earlier because of bad kharma felt around the club house.
So, there is more than one reason he should move to the Panny.
And, he does love the feel & look of his current Pan's.

ps WE WANTS PICS ASAP

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2006, 08:42 AM   #16
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Thanks alot for the replies guys, but I really am torn. This YM is still a special watch to me, I just don't know what to do.

I am almost at the point of flipping a coin.

Earl, the movement is a very nice manual wind, but it is not a tank like the 3135. I think the accuracy should be close to the Rolex, but my YM is almost always spot on.

I am still very stuck in the middle. Any other advice is appreciated.

Old 8 March 2006, 09:59 AM   #17
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Yo Daren. Seeing how this might be a once in a lifetime deal, I say go for it. I love your YM. If I were ever to get another Rolex, that would be the one. I know it has sentimental value to you, but you can always get another. The Panny is beautiful. I like the gold hands and the sandwhich dial. I say do it.

BTW, all kidding aside here, if you're going to sell the YM, can I PLEASE have first dibs on it?
Old 8 March 2006, 11:03 AM   #18
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Thanks alot for the replies guys, but I really am torn. This YM is still a special watch to me, I just don't know what to do.

I am almost at the point of flipping a coin.

Earl, the movement is a very nice manual wind, but it is not a tank like the 3135. I think the accuracy should be close to the Rolex, but my YM is almost always spot on.

I am still very stuck in the middle. Any other advice is appreciated.
Seriously, bro I know you love the Yachtie, but if the Panny is that rare, you're going to kick yourself if you miss out on the only shot you may get at it. If you ever want another YM, they're a dime a dozen, almost every AD has a couple in stock. If the Panny doesn't smile at you the way you thought it would, flip it, make a few bucks and another YM could be had the same day. On the other hand, if you pass up the offer on the Panny, it may not present itself again for a very long time, if ever at all. Good luck
Old 8 March 2006, 11:53 AM   #19
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

The 190 is rare, but I am sure I might be able to find one later if I were to save up the money. I am not sure I could justify having two 7K+ watches in the family though.

What to do, what to do.

Old 8 March 2006, 02:38 PM   #20
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 190 is rare, but I am sure I might be able to find one later if I were to save up the money. I am not sure I could justify having two 7K+ watches in the family though.

What to do, what to do.
If the 190 isn't all that rare and it seems like you can get another one if you want, I don't see why you would flip the yachtie. Ever since I've been here, it's the one mainstay in your stable and the only one you were always absolutely happy with
Old 8 March 2006, 02:45 PM   #21
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
If the 190 isn't all that rare and it seems like you can get another one if you want, I don't see why you would flip the yachtie. Ever since I've been here, it's the one mainstay in your stable and the only one you were always absolutely happy with
That is why I am so torn mate. I love that watch and have kept it through some serious flips, but I also wear it maybe one day a week. I think I need to wear a watch that expensive more than once a week. I just don't know.

Old 8 March 2006, 03:27 PM   #22
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is why I am so torn mate. I love that watch and have kept it through some serious flips, but I also wear it maybe one day a week. I think I need to wear a watch that expensive more than once a week. I just don't know.
I don't think expense has anything to do with it, pal. You wear what smiles at you the most. The yachtie has been with you through many a flip, and even though it only gets wrist time once a week, you know it's there for those occasions.
With the new Panny, rare as it may be, you just don't know if you're going to feel the same way about it as you do your YM. Lets face it, the yachtie has proven itself to be a keeper time and time again. You know it smiles at you. With the Panny, it may just be the thrill of the acquisition. Whereas with the ym, it's still a thrill to know you own it. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by C.J.; 9 March 2006 at 02:43 AM..
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2006, 03:36 PM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Have to agree with CJ on this one, Daren. Also, the big question is how much of a hit are you taking on the YM? Your watch is virtually brand new and if you get rid of it now, you will be hard pressed to buy a new one later on. It's a bloody expensive watch, much more than even a TT Sub....so why lose out on such a beauty.

Want my sincere and friendly advice? Do whatever the hell you like as far as the Panny goes, but don't sell the YM!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 8 March 2006, 11:27 PM   #24
Atomic

Don't listen to Baldie. DO IT, DO IT!

The 190 has far more history and pedigree than a YM. The YM was 'only' introduced about 15 years ago... the 8 day Panny history goes back 50+ years. That, my friend, is pedigree.

Besides, you can always pick up a YM down the road for a good deal and you KNOW you can sell the 190 at a profit because it is SO rare and SO desirable.
Old 9 March 2006, 12:05 AM   #25
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Would have to agree with John on this,you will be kicking yourself if you miss an opportunity to get such a rare watch Daren.The Y/M will never increase in price just to many of them.And you can get them anywhere,with a discount its not one of the best sellers.But the 190 with all its pedigree and heritage make it a truly desirable time piece.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2006, 12:10 AM   #26
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

I'll say get the Panerai.
I have yet to see a dealer that does not have the YM on display. It can always be replaced in a matter of minutes.

Get the Panerai. And... in an earlier thread you said that you wouldn't have a dress watch if you ditch the Rolex... just call me and I'll deliver something that you could wear with a suit to your door. Or Starbucks.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2006, 12:21 AM   #27
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by comatox
I'll say get the Panerai.
I have yet to see a dealer that does not have the YM on display. It can always be replaced in a matter of minutes.

Get the Panerai. And... in an earlier thread you said that you wouldn't have a dress watch if you ditch the Rolex... just call me and I'll deliver something that you could wear with a suit to your door. Or Starbucks.
How's that for the brotherhood of TRF??

BTW, do you deliver to Canada, too?
Old 9 March 2006, 12:27 AM   #28
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
How's that for the brotherhood of TRF??

BTW, do you deliver to Canada, too?

If I am ever there... why not?
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2006, 02:36 AM   #29
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Daren,

All I'm saying is that I don't give a rat's ass what you get. Get the Panny, get a friggin' RADO for all I care!! Don't let go of the YM....YOU WILL REGRET IT!!! Please trust me on this one!!

Old 9 March 2006, 02:43 AM   #30
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Daren,

All I'm saying is that I don't give a rat's ass what you get. Get the Panny, get a friggin' RADO for all I care!! Don't let go of the YM....YOU WILL REGRET IT!!! Please trust me on this one!!

JJ, if Daren does the deal, will he regret it the way you regretted selling the GMTII? The three Submariners? The white Explorer II, the Black Explorer II?

What about the regret you had when you sold the keeper of all keepers, the TT blue sub. Will he regret selling the YM the way you regretted parting with that one? What about the regret of selling your DJs?

Hmmmm.... yeah Daren, take JJ's advice. He's still spilling tears over Sub #1 and Sub #2.