The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 May 2006, 11:25 PM   #1
Atomic

Check out this Panerai Sale

This is unreal:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/26509...C74%2C98%2C217

They guy is selling about US$170,000 worth of Panerai watches, including some pre-Vendome wrist depth guages and a compass! Even has a Max Biaggi signature Panny!

That is H U G E money to have invested in Panerai! I'm sure Panerai themselves would like to pick up some of these babies for their museum.
Old 5 May 2006, 11:47 PM   #2
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
This is unreal:

They guy is selling about US$170,000 worth of Panerai watches, including some pre-Vendome wrist depth guages and a compass! Even has a Max Biaggi signature Panny!

That is H U G E money to have invested in Panerai! I'm sure Panerai themselves would like to pick up some of these babies for their museum.
Are they buying up watches like Patek does? That is certainly one reason why Patek prices at auction are so strong - Patek has made a point of buying up lots of vintage pieces to keep their resale value high.......of course they deny that this is the reason they buy them.
Old 6 May 2006, 12:24 AM   #3
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Are they buying up watches like Patek does? That is certainly one reason why Patek prices at auction are so strong - Patek has made a point of buying up lots of vintage pieces to keep their resale value high.......of course they deny that this is the reason they buy them.
Don't know if they do for sure, but I know they have mini museums in all their boutiques (i.e., store only sells Panerai) and they also have a touring museum exhibit, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Last year there was a big Panerai auction at Christie's where PAMs from the 30s, 40s and 50s went for US$75,000+. I would imagine the company would want to pick some of these vintage pieces up as they likely didn't keep any in the vault (like the Egyption Navy's 8 day PR diver, for example). Given that between the 1930s and 1997 Panerai only produced about 300-odd watches, it shows how rare these vintage pieces are.
Old 6 May 2006, 12:29 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Its Markus Tschopp from www.smwatches.com a great guy and a very good person to deal with.He sells watches on several forums plus his own site he has some very collectable Panerai for sale there thats for sure.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2006, 12:32 AM   #5
mamas
"TRF" Member

wow.. this guy must have been a serious collector...

omega actually buy pieces from ebay for their museum. I was outbid by omega on one piece that i saw on ebay which was a mint 267 sub second omega from early 1950's. I was rather pi$$ed that i lost out on this piece as i had put a really high bid on it with esnipe.. but this account outbid me!! looking through what it had bought, it had bought 400+ omegas over a year or two.. all mint condition, often way over market value..
this account was also located in switzerland.. so my suspicians were raised as was the use of the account name,which was the ex director of omega museam.. so i emailed seller about my suspicians, and he confirmed thathe had sent watch to omega...
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2006, 02:20 AM   #6
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamas
wow.. this guy must have been a serious collector...

omega actually buy pieces from ebay for their museum. I was outbid by omega on one piece that i saw on ebay which was a mint 267 sub second omega from early 1950's. I was rather pi$$ed that i lost out on this piece as i had put a really high bid on it with esnipe.. but this account outbid me!! looking through what it had bought, it had bought 400+ omegas over a year or two.. all mint condition, often way over market value..
this account was also located in switzerland.. so my suspicians were raised as was the use of the account name,which was the ex director of omega museam.. so i emailed seller about my suspicians, and he confirmed thathe had sent watch to omega...
Wow, quite a bit of detective work there, Mamas!

Kinda sucks when a watch you want on ebay is snapped up by someone with infinetly deeper pockets and willing to pay way over market value for it, athought that's nice for the seller.

But it's also kinda cool that you, Mamas, have exquisite taste in that you're after a piece they want for the museum. At least you know you can visit it in the future.
Old 6 May 2006, 03:23 AM   #7
mamas
"TRF" Member

i suppose its kind of cool that the company actually values its history and buys these old pieces.. its just rather ironic that i bid for an omega gainst.. omega ;D ;D
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2006, 04:31 AM   #8
Manatee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Its Markus Tschopp from www.smwatches.com a great guy and a very good person to deal with.He sells watches on several forums plus his own site he has some very collectable Panerai for sale there thats for sure.
I've purchased watches from Markus. He is a great guy. Compared to his entire inventory, $170,000 really isn't a lot.
Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2006, 05:30 AM   #9
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
This is unreal:

Good show John! Boy, do I like that Marine Militaire! But, look at the price, almost 10 grand
Old 6 May 2006, 05:41 AM   #10
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch
Good show John! Boy, do I like that Marine Militaire! But, look at the price, almost 10 grand
Frans, you can always pick up an RXW Marina Militaire, which is more historically correct than the 'fiddy' now put out by Panerai. The RXW is only around a grand... cheaper on fleabay.
Old 7 May 2006, 08:47 PM   #11
Alan From New York

Watch: And Learn
Some good (and hard to find) stuff, but no real bargains.

Silvermagic is very good to deal with and, you may be able to bargain them down a bit.
Alan From New York is offline   Reply With Quote