The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 September 2019, 11:49 AM   #31
chriswang0130
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
I actually purchased this one a few days ago and I just received it. A fellow TRFer found a listing on Vintage Rolex Forum and I checked it out. I paid just under $18. The insert is a newer replacement. The dial and hands are pretty close to flawless. It’s been polished but the price reflected it.

So I think you have to decide what’s important. Collectibility, condition, etc. For me I wanted one with a clean dial and hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beautiful !! I love it...Congrats man!

♛ Deepsea JC2 126660
♛ Milgauss Black Dial 116400GV
♛ GMT Master II 126710BLNR
chriswang0130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 11:51 AM   #32
chriswang0130
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
Well I have a MK1 full set and have been offered $40k twice in recent months , this was by a London and then a NY Dealer ,TBH im actually tempted when it gets too $45 but I am not searching for a buyer if one came along and said $45 i would let it go .

When I bought mine five yrs ago it cost me $22,500

I always think you get what you pay for .
Wow! May I see some pics of yours?

♛ Deepsea JC2 126660
Old 7 September 2019, 12:09 PM   #33
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswang0130 View Post
Thanks! Let me know what you’re looking for and your budget and if I see anything interesting I’ll run it by you.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 05:28 PM   #34
oysterquartz17000
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16803
Quote:
Is that a service dial? Its so white
oysterquartz17000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 05:45 PM   #35
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Wow! May I see some pics of yours?
Hi Chris ,

this little gem http://sheartime.com/products/1969-r...ner-ref-1680-2

purchased five years ago from Andrew
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 05:50 PM   #36
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
I agree with buy to keep rather than to invest. I am buying to enjoy myself. But I thought the price for these are going up
Nah. Cash is king at the moment. Market is slow as sellers have too high expectations. I’d sit tight and wait for the right watch.

Best of luck!
Old 7 September 2019, 08:17 PM   #37
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterquartz17000 View Post
Is that a service dial? Its so white
No, it’s a MKIV dial.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2019, 02:55 AM   #38
chriswang0130
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Chris ,

this little gem http://sheartime.com/products/1969-r...ner-ref-1680-2

purchased five years ago from Andrew
Super clean example!

♛ Deepsea JC2 126660
Old 8 September 2019, 03:21 AM   #39
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
You do know peeling dials can be chemically reset and moulded carefully back into place. No? Well there you go. Someone is going to do that, have the movment easily overhauled, replace the seals and plexi and then read all this and laugh at you guys. I wish it was me, but it ended when I was asleep.
Yes, well aware of the restoration options out there, thanks. You make all this sound easy.

Even if that disastrous dial could be saved (no guarantee) it would be an expensive restoration, and even assuming it was done well, you'd be left with a refinished/repaired dial that virtually no vintage Rolex collector/hobbyist wants.

Then you have a rusted, wrecked movement that might not even be salvageable. Who knows what nightmare awaits with that? Throw in the time and headache of dealing with it all, and that $6,714 doesn't look like such a wise purchase, IMHO.

The end result in even the best-case scenario for a complete restoration and repair of that watch just ain't that great, and would be very expensive.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2019, 04:09 AM   #40
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Yes, well aware of the restoration options out there, thanks. You make all this sound easy.
Precisely, Aaron.
OysterQuartz17000, a week ago you didn’t even know a dial could be restored, now you’re making it sound like something any watchmaker can do, and presto, you’ve now got a perfect dial and you’re laughing all the way to the bank.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2019, 04:40 AM   #41
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Prices for red 1680s are so inflated, IMHO. If you want a 1680, I'd suggest putting your money into a better white version and save a ton. Ask yourself this question: Would you rather have a mediocre red 1680 for $25K, or a fabulous white 1680 with boxes/papers for $18K? I know which one I'd choose, and it wouldn't be close.

I've own both versions, a couple of times, and that line of red is nice, but it ain't worth the price difference, IMHO.
You can get a nice red sub for $25k. Personally, I'd rather have a nice red sub for $25k than a nice white sub for $18k and, in the long run, the red sub will increase in value more.

Also, the notion that $25k is a ridiculous amount to spend on a watch, but $18k is reasonable is a little dubious. The vast majority of people think that spending over $1k just for a watch is crazy. We all know that it comes down to desirability, which is typically related to rarity, and that's what drives the values/prices.

If you prefer a white sub, great. I think preferring a red sub is equally reasonable (or equally unreasonable, depending on your perspective on these things).
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2019, 04:51 AM   #42
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Nah. Cash is king at the moment. Market is slow as sellers have too high expectations. I’d sit tight and wait for the right watch.

Best of luck!

I’ve noticed at least asking prices to be going up. I totally admit that I don’t know the actual selling prices though. I was surprised to see HQ Milton recently listing a Mk IV for $28k...no box or papers. Nice case, dial and insert but still that’s more than I’ve ever seen. https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...red-dial-A2659
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2019, 04:58 AM   #43
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
I’ve noticed at least asking prices to be going up. I totally admit that I don’t know the actual selling prices though. I was surprised to see HQ Milton recently listing a Mk IV for $28k...no box or papers. Nice case, dial and insert but still that’s more than I’ve ever seen. https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...red-dial-A2659
Good for them. I’ve sold two the last year and both been extremely slow. Both nice of course but still hard to get paid.
Old 8 September 2019, 05:10 AM   #44
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Good for them. I’ve sold two the last year and both been extremely slow. Both nice of course but still hard to get paid.

Good to know.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2019, 05:40 AM   #45
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
You can get a nice red sub for $25k. Personally, I'd rather have a nice red sub for $25k than a nice white sub for $18k and, in the long run, the red sub will increase in value more.

Also, the notion that $25k is a ridiculous amount to spend on a watch, but $18k is reasonable is a little dubious. The vast majority of people think that spending over $1k just for a watch is crazy. We all know that it comes down to desirability, which is typically related to rarity, and that's what drives the values/prices.

If you prefer a white sub, great. I think preferring a red sub is equally reasonable (or equally unreasonable, depending on your perspective on these things).
It's about what you're getting for the money, not necessarily the amount of money. My point/question was ... Is that one word in red on the dial worth all that extra money? In my opinion, no, but I fully respect anyone who feels otherwise. It's a personal preference.

I also think it's crazy to spend more money just because a Sub has a certain number listed first for the depth rating, or a line of tiny text is aligned on a "rail dial." I'd much rather have a better-condition watch with a fat case, for example. But maybe that's just me.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2019, 06:34 AM   #46
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post

. I'm sure I'm not the only person on this forum to think that now; there are more phoney dials in Red subs than in any white so why take chances on ridiculous prices when it can end in heartache, not to mention putting your self into a financial loss.
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2019, 06:42 AM   #47
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's about what you're getting for the money, not necessarily the amount of money. My point/question was ... Is that one word in red on the dial worth all that extra money? In my opinion, no, but I fully respect anyone who feels otherwise. It's a personal preference.

I also think it's crazy to spend more money just because a Sub has a certain number listed first for the depth rating, or a line of tiny text is aligned on a "rail dial." I'd much rather have a better-condition watch with a fat case, for example. But maybe that's just me.
x2.
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 04:01 AM   #48
chriswang0130
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the response ! Anyone else has a 1680 Red? Let’s see em!!!!

♛ Deepsea JC2 126660
Old 9 September 2019, 08:27 AM   #49
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes, of course it's worth the extra money! How do I know? Because these watches always sell at a premium over whites. If it wasn't worth it, no one would pay any more for it. You may not personally feel the extra money is justified, but clearly the majority does.

As I'm sure you know, the value of these watches often comes down to minute details. For example, if a dial is a little bit browner than most dials, it's worth a lot more. If a watch has, say, 1-2 millimeter's worth of additional metal on the lugs so the original chamfers are still there, it's worth a lot more. Small details matter!

Furthermore, to say that the extra money is only buying a "red lettering" is also dubious. It's not just that it's got red lettering, it's that it identifies the watch as the original version of the date submariner and it is much more rare. That's the true significance of the red lettering.

If you think this is "crazy," that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. Again, however, you're in the minority as things are worth what people pay for them, and they pay extra for red subs.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 09:03 AM   #50
twnturbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT/1680 MKIV
Picked up mine 2 years ago for $25k minty Mk 4 full set with kissing 40 bezel ,

Sometimes you can save some $ & get one with a later bezel or bracelet,& easily change those up later,but at least your in ,I saw a few on Bobs watches this ones under $20k
https://www.bobswatches.com/vintage-...rk-4-dial.html

TAG Heuer Carrera Chronograph Day Date
Bell & Ross BR03-92
twnturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 02:11 PM   #51
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnturbo View Post
Picked up mine 2 years ago for $25k minty Mk 4 full set with kissing 40 bezel ,

Sometimes you can save some $ & get one with a later bezel or bracelet,& easily change those up later,but at least your in ,I saw a few on Bobs watches this ones under $20k
https://www.bobswatches.com/vintage-...rk-4-dial.html

I’ve got one listed here in the FS section with a beautifully faded to gunmetal mk3 Insert for under $20k if anyone is interested...

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 02:58 PM   #52
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Quote:
Anyone else has a 1680 Red? Let’s see em!!!!
Mine says

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 03:12 PM   #53
oysterquartz17000
Banned

Does anyone wear their 1680's on the original 9315 bracelets?
Old 9 September 2019, 03:43 PM   #54
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Does anyone wear their 1680's on the original 9315 bracelets?
I do .
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 04:29 PM   #55
oysterquartz17000
Banned

Quote:
I do .
The look so much better on a 9315.
Old 9 September 2019, 04:37 PM   #56
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Highish 20s for a decent standard example (e.g., MK IV) without box and papers.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 08:46 PM   #57
roh123
"TRF" Member

This may come out as rude but I am trying to make a point.

Red subs are mostly for newbie collectors wanting to buy something they have heard of and something they think is a great investment. Historically it has been like this and with prices going up to current levels I think we have reached a level where’s theres just not much more room. Around ten, twelve years ago red subs and gilt subs cost just about the same. Gilt subs are/were however more rare. Especially in top, top condition. Newbies often focus on easy things such as box, papers, nice insert etc. As red subs are way more accessable, even with b+p, I think the hype just grew as this is what newbies have been discussing from day one. Gilt models have on the other hand sky rocketed in price but this have been happening in much smaller circles of collectors. Still today few people on this forum understand gilt dialed watches and if not handled in person it is difficult to understand why a great gilt dial cost three, four, five times more than a matte model.

Regarding red subs or white versions such as 1680, matte 5512/13, 1665’s etc I think swish77 has a point. Great example 5512’s and 5513’s probably have much more potential today compared to red subs. Just because they, opposite to red subs, haven’t made their trip. Red subs and Exp II’s 1655 was the hot flavour many years ago and haven’t really moved much if you compare to other things. With Daytonas and gilt models being out of reach for many I think the standard matte sports such as 5512, 5513 and white 1680/1665 still have room.

Each to their own though. And for those that had a great journey with red subs or whatever; congrats. I just wouldn’t expect it to continue forever. It is a very common watch and the premium is, at least not in my world, worth it. I’d much rather have a nice no-date sub than any 1680. Regardless color of the Submariner print.

In the end I hope most people buy what they love.
Old 9 September 2019, 10:05 PM   #58
subx
"TRF" Member

I will say however that my personal experience with vintage rolexes has been 1680 then 5513 then gilt.... but am now circling back to 1680 because I now feel the matt dials and excitement of red , bubble date, silver disc and all is just right.
I am probably in the minority, but one can only suppose that it is 'possible' than the market circles back to those references 1680 and 1655 and re discovers their exciting dials. but yes @roh123 your observation of the current market totally correct
subx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 11:24 PM   #59
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This may come out as rude but I am trying to make a point.
Not rude at all. We're all here to learn and exchange opinions

Quote:
...Red subs and Exp II’s 1655 was the hot flavour many years ago and haven’t really moved much if you compare to other things.
I guess it depends on the time scale you're looking at. I bougt my Red Sub five years ago at around 12 grand. It would now be in the high 20s, which beats any of my other investments. Lucky rather than smart, though.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 11:36 PM   #60
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post

I guess it depends on the time scale you're looking at. I bougt my Red Sub five years ago at around 12 grand. It would now be in the high 20s, which beats any of my other investments. Lucky rather than smart, though.
Well.. Most things are up a lot in 5 years. Happy you’ve done well.

But more importantly; I don’t think it will be the best in years to come.