The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 June 2019, 09:53 AM   #31
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Yes there are more Rolex than seiko. A facepalm could not be big enough to describe the original thought.
Anyone that understands production volumes knows that there are clearly less Rolexes than regular Seikos in the world- the face palm should be mine here. The point i am trying to make is that Rolex is becoming so mainstream and accessible to the point where some folks like myself are moving away especially from the more common basic models. It’s a collector preference.

Yes - you wear watches you like- I do, you do. But when it becomes SOOO common, it becomes commoditized especially since many of the Rolexes look alike. Seeing it literally everywhere detracts from my personal enjoyment. I am sure I am not alone.

Second I was also referencing my grand Seiko snowflake which I haven’t seen yet even at Seiko stores this year.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 09:57 AM   #32
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazadams View Post
I am confused about the nature of this post.....this is a mass produced watch. Not too unlike driving a mass produced luxury car. Why would you not expect to see these on others people's wrists?
I am not saying I want Rolex to be exclusive to the point i don’t see it around. I am making a comment that it is becoming so mainstream that it loses some of the desirability that it once held for me. I’ve owned Rolex for years and this is the first time i’ve felt this way.
Old 22 June 2019, 09:57 AM   #33
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
If Rolex makes 1 million watches per year, how many Subs a year? 100,000? So in my lifetime, they may make 8 million Subs?

There are 8 billion people on earth. Which means statistically, almost no one will ever own a Sub.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 09:59 AM   #34
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandWatch View Post
Does it matter if you like it? I really couldn’t care less which watches other people wear, just as I don’t care what cars they drive, what jeans they buy etc!
What if every room you walked into there was someone dressed in the exact same clothes as you? Perhaps you might be ok but for me it kinda commoditizes the clothing
Old 22 June 2019, 10:07 AM   #35
Mwilsey103
Banned

Watch: DJ41/BB58
Don’t really care if everyone is wearing a Sub. I love mine and that is all that matters.
Mwilsey103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 10:08 AM   #36
M45
Banned

All sorts of luxury stuff is common in Cali. Especially Socal where people show off their wealth. Rich people dress like bums here in Norcal.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 10:10 AM   #37
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
All sorts of luxury stuff is common in Cali. Especially Socal where people show off their wealth. Rich people dress like bums here in Norcal.
I have seen my fair share of Subs in Cali - perhaps it is the population density in Japan/Asia that makes the commonness of Rolex subs more apparent
Old 22 June 2019, 10:10 AM   #38
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior_ View Post
If Rolex makes 1 million watches per year, how many Subs a year? 100,000? So in my lifetime, they may make 8 million Subs?

There are 8 billion people on earth. Which means statistically, almost no one will ever own a Sub.
Yeah but also take into account how many Subs will have multiple owners over the course.. I guess previous owners no longer are owners though. *disregard. I had a few too many earlier.. yesterday.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 10:20 AM   #39
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

I was INCREDIBLY happy to spot this 1680 meters first on the wrist of a “amulet” street vendor at a Japanese shrine yesterday. I have a 1680 red myself and it’s nice to see someone with the same watch SOMETIMES

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 June 2019, 10:23 AM   #40
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
amulet street vendors...
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 10:24 AM   #41
leong33
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 14060M
In my country, the local pawnshops advertised that they take mostly or perhaps only Gold, Jewellery, and Rolex. Thats the ranking of Rolex here
leong33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 10:28 AM   #42
jiffy
"TRF" Member

It's called synchronicity, where you see only blue cars or a certain car that you like, and you see it everywhere.
jiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 10:28 AM   #43
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
What if every room you walked into there was someone dressed in the exact same clothes as you? Perhaps you might be ok but for me it kinda commoditizes the clothing
I'm glad you expanded on your thoughts. When I initially read your post my reaction was similar to many others that are commenting to wear what you want, yada yada. But I hear you now. If my BMW was as common as a Ford Fusion I wouldn't have bought it.

But watches might be a bit of an exception because I don't think people notice watches as much as "we" do.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 10:29 AM   #44
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
I wear what I want for me not for anyone else .

What others wear does not dictate my collection or

taste/preference regarding my watches ...

All this means is that more people have good taste .

Agree. I would love if everyone had a Rolex, then they would know how awesome they are!

Exclusivity means very little to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 10:32 AM   #45
Thanos
"TRF" Member

Rolex Submariner biggest strength is biggest weakness. Everywhere.

I never wear a Rolex Sub to a resort. Thats like everyone wearing a black golf shirt at night for the shows etc.

Rolex is the champ but the champ is everywhere.
Thanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 10:41 AM   #46
Late
"TRF" Member

Watch: space too short
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
I'd say in LA by far the most common luxury watch I see on other men is a Sub. Not saying I see them everywhere, but it's the most common among the luxury watches I take notice to.
I wonder how many are really Subs. I worked downtown Manhattan (as one of my offices) up until about 14 months ago; I saw quite a few DateJust - which few other watches look like - and a lot of Sub-inspired watches and some Subs.

Once I started paying attention, I was surprised how few such watches were actually Rolex. Even the Parnis, which is south of $50, is a decent copy from a distance. It's more similar than the Tudor Black Bay, which is very Sub-ish if you don't get a good look at the hands. For a while, Invicta made a clone except quartz (seconds-tick.) You'd be amazed how people will brag about their watch being "just as good but a better value" while pulling hair off their arms and turning their skin green. I can't recall a single conversation where the non-Rolex-owner was offended of me asking about their watch. (And yeah, I'm the guy who can talk to anyone, so I do.)

But not much else looks like a Rolesor or PM DJ. (i.e. sharp flutes on the bezel, Jubilee bracelet.)
Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 10:45 AM   #47
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late View Post
I wonder how many are really Subs. I worked downtown Manhattan (as one of my offices) up until about 14 months ago; I saw quite a few DateJust - which few other watches look like - and a lot of Sub-inspired watches and some Subs.

Once I started paying attention, I was surprised how few such watches were actually Rolex. Even the Parnis, which is south of $50, is a decent copy from a distance. It's more similar than the Tudor Black Bay, which is very Sub-ish if you don't get a good look at the hands. For a while, Invicta made a clone except quartz (seconds-tick.) You'd be amazed how people will brag about their watch being "just as good but a better value" while pulling hair off their arms and turning their skin green. I can't recall a single conversation where the non-Rolex-owner was offended of me asking about their watch. (And yeah, I'm the guy who can talk to anyone, so I do.)

But not much else looks like a Rolesor or PM DJ. (i.e. sharp flutes on the bezel, Jubilee bracelet.)
95% sure. I usually can tell the profile from a distance and then tell depending on the differential polish on the bezel whether it is modern (more shiny) or vintange. Also can tell whether it is a ceramic or non ceramic. I then look at the clasp to see if it is fliplock or glidelock. There is maxi case versus non maxi case.

You can say I can be a bit stalkerish lol.
Old 22 June 2019, 10:55 AM   #48
Unclebuck
"TRF" Member

This is silly. Seiko dive watches are iconic. Of course it's nowhere near the construction of a Rolex, or Omega. Or even a modified ETA Breitling for that matter. It's Seiko, totally in house, and a legend. If you don't agree, you just don't care or know much about watches in general. You simply think a watch is a retail price.
Unclebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 10:59 AM   #49
Late
"TRF" Member

Watch: space too short
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmarioce View Post
Rolex sub is the most iconic watch made and has always been relatively inexpensive when compared to other high end Swiss watches.
This is entirely dependent on where you peg "high end Swiss watches."
The artisan watches aren't "high end"; they're (to cop a phrase from '80s audiophiles), "SkyHiFi." Patek Philippe isn't competing with Rolex really, selling a tiny fraction as many watches and tiny fraction as much revenue... and yet is #2 in growth. (See my post a month ago or so on this.)

Most of the remaining "high end Swiss watches" (your words) are the Swatch group (Omega, Longines, Tissot at the lower end), which is less high and less expensive than Rolex, and TAG Heuer (owned by LVHM - which also includes Hublot, Zenith, and Bulgari.)

I suppose I should mention the Richemont brands (IWC, Cartier, Breguet/JLC, Vacheron Constantin and Panerai), but generally those also are below Rolex and often considered closer to fashion watches.

In short, the Rolex Submariner is priced significantly above the obvious competition, but is also growing the fastest. The only > $8K or even > $2K non-smartwatch outperforming the Submariner for sales and prestige is the DateJust, although the "prestige" part is dependent on the audience.

What is your reference for "high-end watch"? (I did not wear my $9800 DJ41 today, wearing my $14 Casio A158WA instead, because both are classics. )
Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 11:01 AM   #50
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
This is silly. Seiko dive watches are iconic. Of course it's nowhere near the construction of a Rolex, or Omega. Or even a modified ETA Breitling for that matter. It's Seiko, totally in house, and a legend. If you don't agree, you just don't care or know much about watches in general. You simply think a watch is a retail price.
Dear Unclebuck,

Both brands are iconic and have their place. Seiko is not Rolex and Rolex is not Seiko. They both hold a special place in my heart just like my Pateks and APs and Swatch Sistem51s.

This is not to bash Seiko but a commentary on the state of Rolex by someone that loves both brands.
Old 22 June 2019, 11:07 AM   #51
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
amulet street vendors...
Seriously :)

Old 22 June 2019, 11:37 AM   #52
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I think this brand screws with a certain personality...maybe it's the "luxury" brand category...I wonder of the OP also feels this way about his car.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 11:40 AM   #53
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
I think this brand screws with a certain personality...maybe it's the "luxury" brand category...I wonder of the OP also feels this way about his car.
I am very proud of my 10 year old Nissan Altima - it just hit 100k miles this year
Old 22 June 2019, 11:40 AM   #54
Rocketman39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,Hulk,GMTII
If anyone thinks seeing some Chinese Tourists wearing a Sub or GMT II like mine will make me not want it, you're sadly mistaken. My watches are for Me. I have worn a Rolex for Fifty three years now. In War and Peace, Hot and Cold, Air and Sea, Thick and Thin,Young and Skinny, and now Old and Fat. They have never let me down. Enjoy Yours as I have mine !
Rocketman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 01:08 PM   #55
stervius
"TRF" Member

It really depends where you live and where you go. If you hiked 4 days to a remote village in the jungle, and found the village chief wearing grass skirt, body paint, and Rolex Sub you'd be rather impressed with the watch and perhaps want one more. In the city, it's quite common and less impressive to see a Sub, so it makes it very meh....it loses the romance. It's all about context.
stervius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 11:22 PM   #56
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbones43 View Post
Why would you let other people wearing a certain watch dictate what you like or desire?
That's the very essence of marketing.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 11:29 PM   #57
MR. STEEL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
I love my Sub. That is all.
MR. STEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 01:04 AM   #58
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Rolex has always been a mainstream product.

During the 1980's, the DateJust was so ubiquitous in my state they called it the "Texas Timex".

If you want to see less of them, maybe you should go to some places not frequented by the wealthy.

If you see a waitress or a teen wearing a Rolex, it is either fake or a gift from their parents. A Submariner still represents a substantial investment for most people.

Rolex is also the most counterfeited watch brand in the world for what it's worth.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 01:35 AM   #59
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
The Submariner is the most copied watch in the world and the copies are made in China. I wonder how many real Submariners you actually saw on your visit, we’ll never know.
Fact is, it’s a very attractive and desirable watch that appeals to everyone.
There is a massive difference between Japan and China. I would bet everything he saw in Tokyo was real. Japan is very, very anti-fakes of anything.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 01:39 AM   #60
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late View Post

Been in Manhattan for 20 years. There are tons of subs, especially amongst the "midtown uniform" types. Walk the trading floor of any bank and you used to see tons of subs. Now you see tons of apple watches. There are more common on the banking side of the house.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote