The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 May 2022, 12:33 PM   #31
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
If you ain’t first, you’re last. That’s certainly the picture Rolex likes to paint for most of their achievements, but when it comes to space watches Omega takes this round.
Well the first human feet on the moon were Neil Armstrong's and yes, he was wearing a Speedmaster.

Buzz Aldrin were the next feet and he wore a Sea Dweller

Michael Collins in the command module wore a TOG.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 12:48 PM   #32
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
Well the first human feet on the moon were Neil Armstrong's and yes, he was wearing a Speedmaster.

Buzz Aldrin were the next feet and he wore a Sea Dweller

Michael Collins in the command module wore a TOG.
Actually Neil Armstrong never wore a watch on the moon.
Buzz was the first.
Armstrong's watch remained in the LM because the Bulova(i think from memory) clock on board the LM was US for some reason.
Lets not forget Collins also wore a Speedy.
They all trained with and were issued with Speedys. Each and every one of them
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 01:01 PM   #33
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you ain’t first, you’re last. That’s certainly the picture Rolex likes to paint for most of their achievements, but when it comes to space watches Omega takes this round.
True enough
After all is said and done, the Speedy beat all contenders at the time by passing the entire suite of tests that were laid down by NASA.
Regardless of the fact that it was a Manual wind and it only had fairly limited water resistance, the lowly old OMEGA Speedy won a resounding victory which has been backed up with literally thousands of hours in space let alone when worn on EVA's
Further to this, it was the preferred watch by the people who were actually using them throughout the space program dating back to Mercury.
It was the same people who were wanting a standard piece of kit to be issued which gave rise to the suite of tests that NASA applied.

I love it when the Rolex fanboys try to re-fight old battles and twist the facts by distorting context
Old 31 May 2022, 01:07 PM   #34
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Actually Neil Armstrong never wore a watch on the moon.
Buzz was the first.
Armstrong's watch remained in the LM because the Bulova(i think from memory) clock on board the LM was US for some reason.
Well that's interesting. Buzz has had such a fascinating full life and still is at it.

It's interesting that these aren't even modern Rolexes we are talking about but watches that made with 60 year old technology. All these posts here about "Can I wear my Rolex to _____________ ?". There is a long list of astronauts who took their personal Rolex into space and to the moon even. Probably didn't think about it all that hard. They trusted the watch to work like it always had and it did.
Old 31 May 2022, 04:07 PM   #35
SuinBruin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
An awful lot of Rolexes went into space and went to moon. Seemed to work just fine. A lot of GMT masters which makes sense since they could easily track Zulu and Houston and either a third time zone or use the bezel for a mission/task timer.

https://www.rolexmagazine.com/search...0Rolex#/page/1

Apologies if this has been posted before or beat to death.
Lots of Rolexes have been to space on the wrists of astronauts safely inside pressurized capsules. How many have been worn on the outside of a spacesuit in the vacuum of space? That is the difference between the Moonwatch and the vast majority of other "space" watches.
SuinBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 04:21 PM   #36
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Not sure what we are trying to achieve with this thread, but the way I see it is as follows:

Omega won the 'space race', but back on earth Rolex won the 'I'm human and I've got too much disposable income race'.

There, settled it
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 04:42 PM   #37
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
Not sure what we are trying to achieve with this thread, but the way I see it is as follows:

Omega won the 'space race', but back on earth Rolex won the 'I'm human and I've got too much disposable income race'.

There, settled it
Brilliant, love the analogy

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 04:54 PM   #38
logo
"TRF" Member

This thread needs photos.

logo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 05:45 PM   #39
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Probably didn't think about it all that hard. They trusted the watch to work like it always had and it did.
Agreed
As do we all, unless one is in it for the money or recognition
Old 31 May 2022, 06:01 PM   #40
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There, settled it
Classic
Old 31 May 2022, 10:12 PM   #41
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
One thing for sure, I doubt Omega would be where they’re at without that NASA certification. Not sure if they would be the marquee brand for the Swatch Group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 10:35 PM   #42
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Now that's what I'm talking about!

Too bad they got rid of these great bracelets and decided to only make bad bracelets

Quote:

amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 12:07 AM   #43
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post

Too bad they got rid of these great bracelets and decided to only make bad bracelets
This bracelet is new, watch is new - comes OEM on the Ed White 321 which was delivered to me new in 2022. You can also get the Apollo 11 50th anniversary flat link (which is similar to the Ed White bracelet) from omega boutiques and mount it to the standard speedmaster professional as well.
logo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 12:29 AM   #44
Ollie1982
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
One thing for sure, I doubt Omega would be where they’re at without that NASA certification. Not sure if they would be the marquee brand for the Swatch Group.

Most successful companies get a lucky break / win a big contract which is their turning point, Omega haven't looked back since winning the 'space race' and good on them. They are riding a 'moon shaped' wave that any company in the same position would too.

Maybe Rolex wouldn't have got to where they have today without Omega making sure Rolex were kept on their toes and had something to aspire to... something to ponder.
Old 1 June 2022, 12:31 AM   #45
Ollie1982
Banned

Quote:

Have you handled the new 3861? The new bracelet blows the old ones out of the water
Old 1 June 2022, 01:10 AM   #46
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Smoking hot Ed White
Quote:

warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 01:22 AM   #47
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have you handled the new 3861? The new bracelet blows the old ones out of the water
It's nice and heavy but I for some reason I don't care for the link pattern. Too much going on.
Old 1 June 2022, 01:25 AM   #48
Ollie1982
Banned

Quote:
It's nice and heavy but I for some reason I don't care for the link pattern. Too much going on.

It’s a vast improvement on the previous versions. Build quality is still not Rolex level but the gap is narrowing.

Old 1 June 2022, 01:52 AM   #49
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There, settled it
I suppose I was trying to achieve a couple of things with this thread. One was to start a thread about Rolex that was not about investment. And since we are all interested in the heritage aspects of the brand, here is some fun information about heritage.
Old 1 June 2022, 02:18 AM   #50
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

I thought the moon landing was a hoax?

omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 04:32 AM   #51
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
FWIW I´ve read that many modern-day astronauts tend to wear various G-Shock models, and there are loads of photos online to prove this! Russian cosmonauts seem to like wearing their Vostoks...
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 05:10 AM   #52
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Lynd View Post
To each his own. Rolex has a lot of merit, it has done great things in the history of watchmaking, but if it doesn't invent them like the first ascent of Everets.
Hillary had a Smiths on her wrist and it is hard to believe that Tenzing Norgay wore a Rolex that was supposedly given to him by the expedition leader, Colonel John Hunt. A lot of coincidence, in which Rolex always comes out on top. We are talking about 1953, and that Tenzing Norgay is a Sherpa. Hardly credible. Besides, Tenzing was not the only Sherpa of the expedition, and Hunt gave the Rolex precisely to Tenzing, and not to the other Sherpas. I don't believe it.
Apologies - I don't want to appear a smart-arse, but just to set the record straight - Sir Edmund Hillary, the first person to conquer Mt Everest, with Sherpa Tenzing, was a MAN not a woman.

Regarding the Omega vs Rolex debate, I own both a 1675 GMT and a Speedy and I just love both of them for what they are - different but excellent.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 05:11 AM   #53
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

https://www.fratellowatches.com/omeg...er-references/

Here you will find some interesting references on when and how

“Speedmaster CK2998
The Speedmaster CK2998 was the second generation of Speedmasters and actually the first watch to be used in space before NASA did their tender. Astronauts Wally Schirra and Gordon Cooper purchased their Speedmaster CK2998 watches privately and used them in space since 1962. The hands and bezel are different from the CK2915, but the (center) case is the same on the first three generations of Speedmaster watches.”
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 05:41 AM   #54
kearez
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster is a great watch in its own right. Not sure why some are bashing it? I’m sure if the daytona had went to space instead Rolex would be pushing it as watch went into space, and NASA flight qualified.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 05:54 AM   #55
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearez View Post
Speedmaster is a great watch in its own right. Not sure why some are bashing it? I’m sure if the daytona had went to space instead Rolex would be pushing it as watch went into space, and NASA flight qualified.
I only bash Omega bracelets and their James Bond marketing. They do make a great watch.
Old 1 June 2022, 06:04 AM   #56
Vesper Lynd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGMT View Post
Apologies - I don't want to appear a smart-arse, but just to set the record straight - Sir Edmund Hillary, the first person to conquer Mt Everest, with Sherpa Tenzing, was a MAN not a woman.

Regarding the Omega vs Rolex debate, I own both a 1675 GMT and a Speedy and I just love both of them for what they are - different but excellent.

Stan.
Who said it was a woman?
Vesper Lynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 06:18 AM   #57
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
Quote:
Who said it was a woman?
From your post - 'Hillary had a Smiths on her wrist' . . . . .

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 03:30 PM   #58
Vesper Lynd
Banned

Hillary is her surname.

English is not my mother tongue anyway.
Vesper Lynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 03:38 PM   #59
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I don't want to appear a smart-arse, but to set the record straight - we have no evidence that Sir Edmund Hillary did not prefer she/her/her as pronouns. Nor do we have evidence that Sir Edmund Hillary did not identify as a woman.

;P

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGMT View Post

Stan.

I think they ended up giving rolexes to the whole expedition sooner or later because there are multiple rolexes engraved by rolex and gifted to diff members.

Quote:
To each his own. Rolex has a lot of merit, it has done great things in the history of watchmaking, but if it doesn't invent them like the first ascent of Everets.
Hillary had a Smiths on her wrist and it is hard to believe that Tenzing Norgay wore a Rolex that was supposedly given to him by the expedition leader, Colonel John Hunt. A lot of coincidence, in which Rolex always comes out on top. We are talking about 1953, and that Tenzing Norgay is a Sherpa. Hardly credible. Besides, Tenzing was not the only Sherpa of the expedition, and Hunt gave the Rolex precisely to Tenzing, and not to the other Sherpas. I don't believe it.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 04:03 PM   #60
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Hillary is her surname.

English is not my mother tongue anyway.
What they are saying is that when the subject is a man (like Edmund Hillary) you should use “his” not “her”.
“Her” is the pronoun for a woman.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote