The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 26 May 2011, 05:46 AM   #1
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6 Need feedback re Radiomir GMT models

Hello all,

I think this is my first time here. Am a regular at the Rolex forum. I already own a Pam 88 (i like this watch alot) and other brand GMT watches (Rolex, Omega, B&M).

I'mready for another GMT watch except this time I'd like to have a Panerai Radiomir in 42mm. Which of the three models do you suggest I buy as my next GMT, and why?

Pam 355
Pam 98
Pam 184

No other brands are in consideration; already own a GMT II Coke and a tt GMT IIc.

Do any of you know anyone who also loves GMT watches, particularly Panerai GMTs?

Can you pls share your sources with me (to buy GMT)?

Many thanks in advance.

~JD
aka DCgator
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2011, 07:04 AM   #2
mfer
"TRF" Member

184....sub second hand, JLC movement, but I'd really consider the 242 (45mm version of the 184). 184 just feels the most Panerai to me.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2011, 07:51 AM   #3
VetteBandit
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
184....sub second hand, JLC movement, but I'd really consider the 242 (45mm version of the 184). 184 just feels the most Panerai to me.
Im with Mik on the 242 or 184 if it has to be 42mm. The 355 is also nice, but there is a lot going on dial wise and it has the alarm. I have heard mixed things about the PAM alarms - for me this is a function I would never use.

Good luck in the hunt - try them on and see what you love

Instagram: @30threejosh
VetteBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2011, 01:53 PM   #4
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Many thanks. I will find an AD in the MD, VA, DC area and hope they have the 184.

I already have three bigass watches - Pam 88, Breitling SW titanium, and Deepsea. They get the least wrist time. I know I'll wear the 42mm more if I had one.

Do any of you know and trust a grey seller who specializes in Panerai watches? I'll accept recommendations.
Old 27 May 2011, 08:38 AM   #5
Teofilo

Watch: 14060M,16710 PEPSI
JD, hello to another GMT collector...I have a Pepsi from Rolex, an SMP from Omega and a PAM 98 from Panerai. The 98 is a great watch....doesnt get much attention on this Forum (or any other Forum), but it wears really comfortably and has several unusual features, such as GP movement,double crown,42mm size,central seconds hand. All in all the perfect travel watch, apart from the low depth rating....the alarm is loud enough to wake you up. I've used it several times, usually to remind me of meetings/appointments etc.
Peter.
Teofilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2011, 08:50 AM   #6
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I have the 98, and it is my favourite watch. Full Stop.
Nice size, cool features, dress up or down, alarm is just too cool.

I really like the GMT feature too, as it is a separate window with a 24 hour display of the second time zone, and it is easy to set, easy to read as only one hour hand is moving around the dial.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2011, 08:00 AM   #7
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofilo View Post
JD, hello to another GMT collector...I have a Pepsi from Rolex, an SMP from Omega and a PAM 98 from Panerai. The 98 is a great watch....doesnt get much attention on this Forum (or any other Forum), but it wears really comfortably and has several unusual features, such as GP movement,double crown,42mm size,central seconds hand. All in all the perfect travel watch, apart from the low depth rating....the alarm is loud enough to wake you up. I've used it several times, usually to remind me of meetings/appointments etc.
Peter.
Thanks, Peter. The double crown feature is also very attractive to me. I have an IWC Aquatimer that has a double crown. This feature makes it unusual in the wild, makes the watch uncommon looking, and makes people ask me about the watch. Good to know the 98's movement is by GP.
Old 28 May 2011, 08:03 AM   #8
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
I have the 98, and it is my favourite watch. Full Stop.
Nice size, cool features, dress up or down, alarm is just too cool.

I really like the GMT feature too, as it is a separate window with a 24 hour display of the second time zone, and it is easy to set, easy to read as only one hour hand is moving around the dial.

Hi John!
The alarm feature reminds me of an old Seiko watch I had many moons ago and it had an alarm, which I dig as well.

~JD