The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 December 2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Shelby-villian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18**
AP ROC w/ exhibition back?

Does such a watch exist? If not, is the movement as highly decorated as the exhibition back version found in the regular RO with c. 3120?

Thanks in advance.
Shelby-villian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Yes it does.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2010, 05:33 PM   #3
Shelby-villian
"TRF" Member

Very interesting. Any links to photos?

ROC in RG exhibition back black dial would be The One for me.
Old 18 December 2010, 02:16 AM   #4
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
There was one. The Dubail LE, made for the watch store of the same name in Paris. Limited Edition of 50.
Old 18 December 2010, 04:39 AM   #5
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

AP is sort of hesitant to show off that caliber as it's a piggybacked module movement.
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2010, 04:54 AM   #6
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
AP is sort of hesitant to show off that caliber as it's a piggybacked module movement.
Actually, it's an integrated column wheel chronograph, not modular. And the likely reason they don't show off the movement is for the same reason no company using the FP 1185 does...it's outsourced, used in a sport chronograph, and finished to each company's respective standards.
Old 18 December 2010, 05:48 AM   #7
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
Actually, it's an integrated column wheel chronograph, not modular. And the likely reason they don't show off the movement is for the same reason no company using the FP 1185 does...it's outsourced, used in a sport chronograph, and finished to each company's respective standards.
Excuse my lack of information, but isn't the movement in the ROC the same as in the ROO? I know the ROO uses a module.
Old 18 December 2010, 06:52 AM   #8
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Excuse my lack of information, but isn't the movement in the ROC the same as in the ROO? I know the ROO uses a module.
No worries, Charlie. They have different movements. The ROC has the decades-proven Frederic Piguet 1185 (integrated with column wheel), also used by Vacheron Constantin in the Overseas Chronograph, Blancpain, etc. and finished in this case by AP. Depending upon the model, the current non-tourbillon ROO chronograph has either a 2326 or a 3120 (the AP movement found in the Royal Oak 15300 and Offshore Diver) with a Dubois-Depraz chronograph module. And there are in fact some 3120-based Offshores (known as the 3126 movement) with exhibition backs...the Grand Prix, for example.
Old 18 December 2010, 07:07 AM   #9
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
No worries, Charlie. They have different movements. The ROC has the decades-proven Frederic Piguet 1185 (integrated with column wheel), also used by Vacheron Constantin in the Overseas Chronograph, Blancpain, etc. and finished in this case by AP. Depending upon the model, the current non-tourbillon ROO chronograph has either a 2326 or a 3120 (the AP movement found in the Royal Oak 15300 and Offshore Diver) with a Dubois-Depraz chronograph module. And there are in fact some 3120-based Offshores (known as the 3126 movement) with exhibition backs...the Grand Prix, for example.
Thanks for the info! That actually places the ROC back on my "to buy" list, I was under the impression it was piggbacked before.

Thanks again!
Old 18 December 2010, 07:55 AM   #10
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info! That actually places the ROC back on my "to buy" list, I was under the impression it was piggbacked before.

Thanks again!
You are quite welcome! I've been lusting after this one myself.

Old 18 December 2010, 02:48 PM   #11
Shelby-villian
"TRF" Member

I am also turned off by the ROO movement and, from what I hear, the uncomfortable and therefore, poorly engineered clasp. The ROC at least has a respected movement I can appreciate. Here is a very informative article on the c. 2385 used in the ROC, link courtesy of boa2 via timezone.

http://www.timezone.com/library/horo...72754676986923

I am spending more and more time perusing the TZ AP board as I am being drawn into the brand. Kudos to boa2 for his time.

The ROC is also more of a Rolex kind of guy's watch, not too big, functional.... I love the angular crispness of the ROC on bracelet. It's a shame the clasp is not the most comfortable on a small wrist.
Old 18 December 2010, 02:55 PM   #12
Shelby-villian
"TRF" Member

Here is the Dubail ROC LE. Not a fan of the blacked out rotor but it's better then nothing. The dial and platinum bezel are quite nice though. On the right side of the movement is the column wheel. Overall, the watch is quite a catch... if money was no object. A unique piece in the AP collection.

Old 18 December 2010, 03:00 PM   #13
Shelby-villian
"TRF" Member

From the aforementioned link on the movement:

"For originality of engineering and precision of chronograph function, the Piguet chronographs are without peer. For quality of workmanship, they are among a tiny handful of the very best, including those from Lange, Patek, Vacheron, and Audemars. Although more simply decorated than those of Lange or the Geneva firms, the Piguet finish, including functional finish, is immaculate."
Old 19 December 2010, 02:47 AM   #14
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby-villian View Post
I am also turned off by the ROO movement and, from what I hear, the uncomfortable and therefore, poorly engineered clasp. The ROC at least has a respected movement I can appreciate. Here is a very informative article on the c. 2385 used in the ROC, link courtesy of boa2 via timezone.

http://www.timezone.com/library/horo...72754676986923

I am spending more and more time perusing the TZ AP board as I am being drawn into the brand. Kudos to boa2 for his time.

The ROC is also more of a Rolex kind of guy's watch, not too big, functional.... I love the angular crispness of the ROC on bracelet. It's a shame the clasp is not the most comfortable on a small wrist.
I hesitate to call the ROO clasp 'poorly engineered'. I do think that if someone with a 6 inch wrist wants to wear a fairly thick, 42mm watch on a very stiff hornback strap, they may find it uncomfortable in its stock format...especially at first. They have the option of swapping strap ends, going to a more pliable strap, or changing the deployant for a tang buckle. All of these are workable solutions for a watch that like any, won't fit every wrist right off the shelf, so to speak.

I'm not sure if you've tried the ROC, but it often fits well for people with smaller wrists if their wrists are flatter, as opposed to rounded. I find it to be a very comfortable watch. The clasp is, of course, a bit different than that found on the ROO, which again will feel different depending upon whether you are wearing either watch on a bracelet or a strap. As with any watch (or shoes, car seat, etc.), comfort is governed by personal preferences/physical shape/size/etc. Some prefer a single deployant, others a double, others none at all. Always so many options.

Thank you very much for the kind comments.
Old 19 December 2010, 10:18 AM   #15
Aivas47a

Watch: Love them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby-villian View Post
It's a shame the clasp is not the most comfortable on a small wrist.
I have a not-large wrist (7 1/4) and must say I've never noticed any discomfort from the ROC clasp. The bracelet itself sometimes catches a hair and pinches a bit when taking it on or off, but all in all it's a very comfortable watch to wear. Solid but not too heavy.

As others have said, the ROC movement is basically the F. Piguet 1185, an integrated design with vertical clutch and one of the finest chrono movements ever made.
Aivas47a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2010, 01:26 PM   #16
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aivas47a View Post
I have a not-large wrist (7 1/4) and must say I've never noticed any discomfort from the ROC clasp. The bracelet itself sometimes catches a hair and pinches a bit when taking it on or off, but all in all it's a very comfortable watch to wear. Solid but not too heavy.

As others have said, the ROC movement is basically the F. Piguet 1185, an integrated design with vertical clutch and one of the finest chrono movements ever made.
Jim, I hope everyone allows for a quick diversion for me to say GREAT COLLECTION!!!