The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2019, 05:03 PM   #61
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarer View Post
what? Big no! The new blro doesn't match up to blnr. If i want pepsi, i rather go for 16710.

x2
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 05:09 PM   #62
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
That's a no brainer if this is real.
I agree. The one with the BLRO has no brain.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 09:06 PM   #63
Flying Doctor
"TRF" Member

Interesting but I echo other's comments here. Either the person offering BLRO has no idea what they are doing (they only have to come on here for 10 seconds or go into any decent AD with the watch on and they will soon find out what they have) or its fake or stolen.
If it is all above board and the person still wants to do the deal then trading a BNLR for BLRO is financially the best option. You will make at least £2k on the spot. However, there are 2 stings in this tail that you might wish to consider:
1) BLRO - this is new and the entire world and his wife wants one. Whether this watch will become like an SS Daytona and will end up with 5 year waits at AD's in the long term is too early to say but even to clear the backlog of all those that want one on the various waiting lists will take years........
2) BNLR - there seems to be a growing opinion that if any SS model is getting the chop this year then this will be it. I know, I know, I don't want to start all of the hundreds of threads about this again but out of all the SS sports models this is the one that has had the most consistent press that it is likely to go. That, in my view, will not do much for prices in the short term but all I can say is look at Kermit a few years later. Gone nuts because you cannot get it. So longer term this will go up but there is likely to be a lag and you could get one back of the grey market before that happens....

Just my thoughts....

FD.
Flying Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 09:10 PM   #64
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
The BLNR is real masculiine Rolex, while BLRO with pink and purple looks feminine))
Old 20 January 2019, 09:45 PM   #65
emtee
"TRF" Member

If your friend wants a BLNR why doesn’t he just buy the BLRO at MSRP, sell it and buy a brand new BLNR on the grey market and still have a few grand left over?

This deal makes absolutely no sense as he’s basically giving you a few grand for free? I am highly suspicious to say the least...
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 10:38 PM   #66
georgekart
"TRF" Member

I don't know how that is even possible, but yes absolutely. Worst case scenario you like BLRO less than BLNR, sell it and get a new BLNR with no loss or probably even gain.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:48 AM   #67
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Who would offer you that? The Pepsi is far more valuable at the moment. Its no brainer to trade, unless you love the BLNR.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 01:26 AM   #68
Seaborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Icon10

Personally, not a fan of the pink and magenta color scheme on the BLRO.
Seaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 10:50 PM   #69
r6tanz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Your BLNR has been around for years and years. There are 1000s upon 1000s of them everywhere around the world. IF it is discontinued how much you gonna make? Possibly a few grand maximum? Is that such a significant amount of money its going to change your life? LOL

I dont think so.
Look at the Daytona 116520 - thousands were made during the long run it had. If the BLNR gets discontinued, it’ll have the same run as the Kermit. But you are right.. the few grand won’t change your life lol.
r6tanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 11:10 PM   #70
mosanman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post
The BLNR is real masculiine Rolex, while BLRO with pink and purple looks feminine))
Nothing in this pic looks feminine to me

OP, YES! I'd snap his hands off for it!
mosanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 11:14 PM   #71
Boothy84
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR, DJ
Seriously, why have you even posted this? DO IT!
Boothy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 11:21 PM   #72
JeffK114060
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Do it for sure!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
JeffK114060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 11:23 PM   #73
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
You can trade then sell the Pepsi and buy brand new BLNR and have $5k to spare.
Completely agree.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 11:29 PM   #74
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I owned the BLNR for about 6 months and sold it. Great reference, but for me it just didn't float my boat.

The BLRO is a keeper in my books. The jubilee makes it unique in the sport line, and IMO the colors are perfect (much debate over this I know). You also get the 3285 movement which for me is an added bonus (again for some I understand its irrelevant).

It's currently my favourite Rolex and I'd do the trade without hesitation.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 11:40 PM   #75
GSBC
"TRF" Member

I have a BLNR and like it a lot. But you’ve gotta be nuts to think this value craze will be sustainable even if Rolex were to discontinue the model. They’ve made so many of them.
GSBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:07 AM   #76
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Never understood the hype over the BLNR, prefer the Pepsi anyday.
Old 22 January 2019, 12:58 AM   #77
Flying Doctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBC View Post
I have a BLNR and like it a lot. But you’ve gotta be nuts to think this value craze will be sustainable even if Rolex were to discontinue the model. They’ve made so many of them.
That is what I thought about Kermit. So-called anniversary edition that they produced for 7 years but now it seems to have gone nuts.......

BNLR will go up further but even if they stop production this year probably will take 5 years for any real further effect...

FD.
Flying Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:11 AM   #78
Welshy
"TRF" Member

It's not a deal. His assumption is/was of course there cash, and more than a couple grand - not a well thought out offer, but he hadn't put a lot of thought into it - he knows I've always liked the pepsi, and in his mind he'd be doing me a favor. *I don't want it THAT much, or I would have ordered it.

Maybe you fine folks can set me straight (I'm no "collector" and I've never bought or sold a watch as a commodity) I still don't understand how this even makes sense, even after chatting with him. I'm not going to do it, but it has me feeling like I'm missing something.

Thought exercise, check me: If I have to give up the BLNR, AND cough up 5k for a watch that retails for what I paid, wouldn't selling the blnr for 10k and ordering the BLRO make much more sense, netting me ~1k instead of losing me ~6? Or, if you were going to trade a 6 year old BLNR for a New BLRO, how much cash would you expect to pay with the BLNR?

Maybe I couldn't get 10k for the 6 yr old BLNR or other assumptions about the value of this piece are wrong... Anyway, the scoop is I passed :)
Welshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:12 AM   #79
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Yes yes yes!
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 04:43 AM   #80
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy View Post
It's not a deal. His assumption is/was of course there cash, and more than a couple grand - not a well thought out offer, but he hadn't put a lot of thought into it - he knows I've always liked the pepsi, and in his mind he'd be doing me a favor. *I don't want it THAT much, or I would have ordered it.

Maybe you fine folks can set me straight (I'm no "collector" and I've never bought or sold a watch as a commodity) I still don't understand how this even makes sense, even after chatting with him. I'm not going to do it, but it has me feeling like I'm missing something.

Thought exercise, check me: If I have to give up the BLNR, AND cough up 5k for a watch that retails for what I paid, wouldn't selling the blnr for 10k and ordering the BLRO make much more sense, netting me ~1k instead of losing me ~6? Or, if you were going to trade a 6 year old BLNR for a New BLRO, how much cash would you expect to pay with the BLNR?

Maybe I couldn't get 10k for the 6 yr old BLNR or other assumptions about the value of this piece are wrong... Anyway, the scoop is I passed :)
This proposed deal makes more sense now. Not saying I would add $5K (because I wouldn't) but at least it doesn't sound fishy anymore.

To answer your thought exercise question, yes, selling the BLNR and then buying a BLRO for retail makes the most financial sense, but ordering and receiving a BLRO at retail pricing is no easy task unless you have a great relationship with an AD. You are aware of the wait lists, right? Hence the markup in the secondary market for a BLRO. It sounds like your missing piece in understanding all of this is not being aware how hard it is to buy a BLRO at retail pricing (~$9k). It sells for around 17 or 18k on the grey market.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:28 AM   #81
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Personally, I won't sell my BLNR for a BLRO if it means going to the secondary market and needed to cough up some extra cash for the watch.

Once I get a call for the BLRO I will likely sell my BLNR and buy the BLRO at MSRP. Hopefully that will make for a relatively equal trade. Unfortunately I can't see myself justify having both GMT models in my collection in the near term. So it's one or the other for me.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:08 AM   #82
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy View Post

But your original question to the group was “straight up”, which to everyone means with no added cash by either side.

Now the deal has changed to him asking you for the BLNR + $5k?

I would say no on principle of him wanting to change terms after a straight up offer.

Had the deal been originally proposed that way, the money is about right for today’s current market pricing, but hard pill to swallow unless you really want a Pepsi now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:15 AM   #83
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
My BLNR isn't going anywhere. I doubt I'd live long enough to see the SS BLRO available in my area for MSRP, which is the most I'd spend for one.

Not only that, but I like the BLNR bezel far too much.

Now, I might be tempted to find a good, solid aftermarket Jubilee to spice it up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:22 AM   #84
scottwmitch
"TRF" Member

I've owned both, and in my opinion, the BLRO is far superior; mechanically, comfort-wise, and overall aesthetics (the slight reduction in the lugs has a dramatic impact on it's wrist presence). In the end, both are great watches, but if someone were offering me that trade, I would not wait long enough to post here before doing the deal.
scottwmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:42 AM   #85
Gaeta74
"TRF" Member

BLRO. Better movement, classy bracelet.
Gaeta74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:29 AM   #86
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Suspicious deal. But my answer is still no.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 09:19 AM   #87
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Don’t believe it until I see it
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 09:20 AM   #88
ALF61
"TRF" Member

My comment is: No comment to absurdisms.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 09:32 AM   #89
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

I have yet to see the Pepsi in person but even if I did I’m pretty sure I would not give up my blnr. If I only had oyster bracelets in my collection I would probably want one but since I already have jubilee on my date just and I believe it looks better on a dj than on 6 digit professional model.

The whole deal sounds fishy anyway. Stick with the BLNR.
Old 22 January 2019, 10:52 AM   #90
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I would do that trade.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote