The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 January 2020, 08:43 AM   #1
danw-rolex
"TRF" Member

Is Buying AP Possible Considering ADs are few and far between in US?

Is it possible to buy an AP 15450 white dial from an AD over the phone? I’m in the SF Bay Area and the closest AD is in Beverly Hills or Vegas. What do you think my chances are of being able to place a deposit over the phone?

I don’t understand APs strategy of only having a handful of ADs throughout the entire country. I would have thought Silicon Valley with all the dot com millionaires would merit an AD. Could someone enlighten me?

Even Rolex, with its shortages, still had ADs around.
danw-rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 08:46 AM   #2
Zaslice
"TRF" Member

Still kicking myself for not getting one of these at 11k from a TS a few years ago
Zaslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 09:06 AM   #3
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danw-rolex View Post
Is it possible to buy an AP 15450 white dial from an AD over the phone? I’m in the SF Bay Area and the closest AD is in Beverly Hills or Vegas. What do you think my chances are of being able to place a deposit over the phone?

I don’t understand APs strategy of only having a handful of ADs throughout the entire country. I would have thought Silicon Valley with all the dot com millionaires would merit an AD. Could someone enlighten me?

The strategy is based on the luxury market's desire for exclusivity.

As the market for their watches heated up, AP actually CLOSED multiple AD doors and added a very select few of their own factory boutiques in choice locations.

AP more than likely saw an AD or boutique in Silicon Valley as too easy. Too disruptive. Too many watches getting put on the market due to all the new and fast income in the area. It's too unstable....that's my guess.

Similar as to why Patek has never had an AD in Orlando, FL. Too many tourists buying Patek out of their home country. Disrupts Patek's marketing plan and pattern of distribution.

Rolex is doing the same, but with AD's or AD owned boutiques.

The jist of it is that in an upmarket, the move is to strongly control distribution by closing stores in bad markets or ones that aren't performing as expected. These are the moves of companies that understand the market and what makes their products desirable.

Other brands would see this as an opportunity to OPEN new stores and "capitalize" on the demand by increasing availability and access. That is a HUGE MISTAKE (cough Hublot...cough Panerai...etc).

The market doesn't crave MORE. It craves LESS. AP gets it and that's why you are experiencing a challenge to obtain one. If was too easy, the market would reject it and not pursue them...ex Hublot.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 09:13 AM   #4
pepsiretail
Banned

Why not try it first before asking the forum?

Also, I would source a mint 15300st instead. Much better watch for the vast majority of people than the 15450, 15400 or 15500 imho.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 09:17 AM   #5
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
I thought silicon valley with all the dot com wealth liked apple watches.

AP is closing down ADs and opening partnership (Westime) boutiques to have greater control with "improving" the customer experience and value retention. The days of picking up a RO at 30%+ discount are over. Got my 15400 NIB shipped from an AD for under $11k....

I've been to Le Brassus and worked with APSC Clearwater many times and its an AMAZING company full of passionate and hard working people but the more recent success has led to some less than par customer service at the BH boutique. I would call and try to get on a list but I've been a few times and after 10 APs I was told to get to the back of the line. Took my buddy there to buy his first couple APs and the answer was you can buy these two to get on the list for a ROC. Good luck! Might be worth going grey...
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 09:25 AM   #6
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
AP is even harder than Rolex from my experience, unless you want a $40k plus Royal Oak chrono on a rubber or leather strap, or weird color Diver. Otherwise any of those 15xxx are just like trying to find a BLRO.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 09:54 AM   #7
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Based on my experience at the AP Boutique in NY, with no purchase history, I don't think you could buy one if you showed-up cash in hand and got the SA and store manager laid while you were there. (Might get you on a 2-3 wait year list, though.) My experience at the AP NY Boutique was hands-down the single worst experience I have ever had in any AD/boutique/retailer of any brand in any country, ever.

That said, all AP ROs wear kind of funny- larger and/or thicker than you might expect from the stated size- & the proportions of the watches & look on the wrist as they go from 39-37mm change dramatically. Be sure you have tried on the one you want to buy before pulling the trigger. I'm not an owner, but have tried on quite a few- was potentially going to be an owner, & was ready & willing when I went to the NY boutique, but...
Dr.Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 10:10 AM   #8
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaslice View Post
Still kicking myself for not getting one of these at 11k from a TS a few years ago

You and me both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 10:33 AM   #9
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Stu View Post
Based on my experience at the AP Boutique in NY, with no purchase history, I don't think you could buy one if you showed-up cash in hand and got the SA and store manager laid while you were there. (Might get you on a 2-3 wait year list, though.) My experience at the AP NY Boutique was hands-down the single worst experience I have ever had in any AD/boutique/retailer of any brand in any country, ever.
You clearly have never visited Patek.

In my experience I've noticed that the people who have similar experiences come in asking for highly desirable pieces and come off as potential flippers, which results in the type of treatment you allude to. The people that come in, show genuine interest, and have a conversation with the salespeople will very quickly get put on a list and invited to events etc.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 10:41 AM   #10
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Quote:

That said, all AP ROs wear kind of funny- larger and/or thicker than you might expect from the stated size- & the proportions of the watches & look on the wrist as they go from 39-37mm change dramatically. Be sure you have tried on the one you want to buy before pulling the trigger. I'm not an owner, but have tried on quite a few- was potentially going to be an owner, & was ready & willing when I went to the NY boutique, but...

What model were you asking for?

Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 10:54 AM   #11
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

15450 seems unusually hard to get. from what i read here 15500 black dial is fairly doable with no history though
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 12:37 PM   #12
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
15450 seems unusually hard to get. from what i read here 15500 black dial is fairly doable with no history though
I thought so too, but that honestly seems to have changed over the past few months. And, I go out of my way to try and actually demonstrate my genuine interest and make it clear it's not for sale.

If anybody is pulling any 15500 without a purchase history I think there are many people on here that would love to hear about it. If anything, it may restore some hope
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 12:43 PM   #13
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
To offer a counter opinion to the NYC boutique experience, last year I got a black dial 15500ST Royal Oak from the NYC boutique with ZERO buying history. Never even set my foot in a AP boutique before that day. I have inquired about a blue dial this year but so far radio silence from my SA.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 06:05 PM   #14
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
You clearly have never visited Patek.

In my experience I've noticed that the people who have similar experiences come in asking for highly desirable pieces and come off as potential flippers, which results in the type of treatment you allude to. The people that come in, show genuine interest, and have a conversation with the salespeople will very quickly get put on a list and invited to events etc.
In general I agree with you. Perhaps I caught the SA on a bad day (no excuse, btw), but as soon as I said I was interested in one of the steel pieces, and the 39mm (15202) wears too big for me, she informed me that the 37mm was really more of a ladies sized watch, & tried to convince me that the YG 39mm was just perfect for me, and that nothing in steel was available. I did try on the YG 15202, mostly just to satisfy her that the watch, b/c of the flare of the bracelet, just wears too big for my wrist, and once I wasn't interested in it, she was done with me. She also informed me that she had 3 steel 15202s coming in and that 2 were going to billionaires & the 3rd to someone who had bought 20+ watches from the boutique. So pretty-much she was telling me F.U.

I am genuinely into watches, try to collect the iconic models of each brand, and am always engaging of the SA's and have had many very pleasant experiences in many boutiques even when nothing was available for me. I've even been called weeks later by a SA in a boutique where I had no buying history b/c a hard to get piece was available and he remembered how enthusiastic I was and wanted to offer it to me (it was a steel/ceramic Daytona).

I don't think that I come off as a flipper & in fact have actually never sold a single one of my watches as I tend to become attached to them after I finally acquire them. At any rate, it was a very negative experience (about 3 yrs ago), so much so that when I was at Crystals in Vegas a couple of months ago I shopped in Rolex (positive experience), Patek (very positive experience), & walked right past the AP boutique.
Old 17 January 2020, 08:33 PM   #15
akilis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116695SATS
Quote:
Originally Posted by danw-rolex View Post

I had one for sale at the moment. 2019 mint
akilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 10:40 PM   #16
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
In general I agree with you. Perhaps I caught the SA on a bad day (no excuse, btw), but as soon as I said I was interested in one of the steel pieces, and the 39mm (15202) wears too big for me, she informed me that the 37mm was really more of a ladies sized watch, & tried to convince me that the YG 39mm was just perfect for me, and that nothing in steel was available. I did try on the YG 15202, mostly just to satisfy her that the watch, b/c of the flare of the bracelet, just wears too big for my wrist, and once I wasn't interested in it, she was done with me. She also informed me that she had 3 steel 15202s coming in and that 2 were going to billionaires & the 3rd to someone who had bought 20+ watches from the boutique. So pretty-much she was telling me F.U.

I am genuinely into watches, try to collect the iconic models of each brand, and am always engaging of the SA's and have had many very pleasant experiences in many boutiques even when nothing was available for me. I've even been called weeks later by a SA in a boutique where I had no buying history b/c a hard to get piece was available and he remembered how enthusiastic I was and wanted to offer it to me (it was a steel/ceramic Daytona).

I don't think that I come off as a flipper & in fact have actually never sold a single one of my watches as I tend to become attached to them after I finally acquire them. At any rate, it was a very negative experience (about 3 yrs ago), so much so that when I was at Crystals in Vegas a couple of months ago I shopped in Rolex (positive experience), Patek (very positive experience), & walked right past the AP boutique.
This is a long shot, but let me guess, you worked with Manuela?
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 06:06 AM   #17
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

No comment.
Old 18 January 2020, 06:33 AM   #18
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
This is a long shot, but let me guess, you worked with Manuela?

Can I ask why you asked this? Would you mind PM’ing me if it’s a sensitive subject please?

Old 18 January 2020, 06:53 AM   #19
usnwfu
"TRF" Member

If I was a billionaire ... there is no way in hell I would wait for a watch. Floyd Mayweather isn't a billionaire and he had people locate a 1 of 2 white Buggatti in 24 hours. I'm sure if you offered Market + 25% a top grey dealer can get you any non-limited watch BNIB in 1 day.

Quote:

usnwfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 07:09 AM   #20
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Quote:
She also informed me that she had 3 steel 15202s coming in and that 2 were going to billionaires & the 3rd to someone who had bought 20+ watches from the boutique. So pretty-much she was telling me F.U.
If you went in to ask for a jumbo, yeah I can see why. Even getting a blue 15500 is hard. The jumbo is even harder than that. For them to just hand it over to you would just be a slap in the face of their other customers.
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote