The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 January 2020, 06:42 AM   #1
rob020880
"TRF" Member

Funny AD experience today

Stopped in a local Chicagoland AD today. Have been hoping to acquire the GMT Master II Batman Jubilee for my 40th bday in Feb.

I was put on their list last April, checked in during the summer, and again today.

The AD tells me they only received one of these this past year. Fine, I might buy this statement, but seriously doubt it.

But then she tells me that it takes Rolex one year to produce one of these watches. With a straight face and all.

I almost flipped out, as I felt I was being patronized. Decided to restrain all my arguments in case a miracle happens.

If it took them a year to make it would cost over 200k lol. Prices dropping on Chrono, and ebay too.

Interestingly they had a sea dweller in the case.

I cannot wait for this convoluted marketing scheme Rolex is perpetuating to come to an end.
rob020880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 06:46 AM   #2
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Funny AD experience today

Razny?

I had some interesting experiences when we were up there over the holidays. It was pretty comical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 06:46 AM   #3
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob020880 View Post
Stopped in a local Chicagoland AD today. Have been hoping to acquire the GMT Master II Batman Jubilee for my 40th bday in Feb.

I was put on their list last April, checked in during the summer, and again today.

The AD tells me they only received one of these this past year. Fine, I might buy this statement, but seriously doubt it.

But then she tells me that it takes Rolex one year to produce one of these watches. With a straight face and all.

I almost flipped out, as I felt I was being patronized. Decided to restrain all my arguments in case a miracle happens.

If it took them a year to make it would cost over 200k lol. Prices dropping on Chrono, and ebay too.

I cannot wait for this convoluted marketing scheme Rolex is perpetuating to come to an end.
Rolex only has about 6000 employees... if they're producing more than half a million watches a year I don't see how the math adds up. The Rolex movements aren't hand finish like the haute horological brands and they're basic complications that are mass produced. They aren't working with any sort of exotic material is a hard to use. Its just stainless steel and ceramic.... I would've corrected her on the spot being the ass that I am I don't mind someone being honest with me but blatantly lying and not a good lie at that is different.
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 06:49 AM   #4
bumbershoot
Banned

Watch: Sub Date 116610LN
Quote:

I heard start to finish for some watches is a year also. It doesn’t mean they are actually working on the watch each day.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 06:54 AM   #5
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
What a load of BS. If they only got 1 BLNR in a year it’s safe to say they only got one Daytona one Hulk one Pepsi and maybe one Sky Dweller. They’d be out of business.

Think you need to get friendly with another AD.

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 06:57 AM   #6
rob020880
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Razny?

I had some interesting experiences when we were up there over the holidays. It was pretty comical.

No, not Razny. A shop in Berwyn.
Old 18 January 2020, 07:01 AM   #7
ZeGerman11
"TRF" Member

Which AD?

I have been treated extremely well by Razny on Oak St. They are always welcoming when I come in. Popped in one random day last summer because I just happened to be walking by and they pulled a BLNR jubilee out from the back for me to try on.

They said it was for the owner’s daughter so it was not for sale (which was fine, not a watch I’m after anyway).
ZeGerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 07:07 AM   #8
Ttm0tion
"TRF" Member

Watch: JC DeepSea
Isn't the batman on a jubilee a batgirl?
Ttm0tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 07:12 AM   #9
89Sem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
As ridiculous as that sounds it might be what the SA truly believes haha

Some people don’t think for themselves but maybe some others shouldn’t.

I would take my business elsewhere and I agree I can’t wait for the nonsense that a lot of ADs play to stop.
89Sem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 07:12 AM   #10
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
I believe some years back Rolex actually had an ad that claimed it took a year to make a watch.

She may have come by her info honestly.

You really need to be, not seem to be.

El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 07:17 AM   #11
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttm0tion View Post
Don't start...
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 07:18 AM   #12
Generation
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 & BB58
I was told the same thing about a Rolex taking a year to make the first time I visited a Rolex AD in 2018. I foolishly went in thinking I could put my name down on a list for a Hulk or Pepsi. I think the SA thought I wasn't a WIS. Anyway, the SA wasn't lying, though I can see why it sounded patronizing.

Quote:
Nevertheless, from starting to shape the parts of the case to testing a completed watch for accuracy, the process takes around one year.
https://www.businessinsider.com/10-t...ld-know-2015-1
Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 07:25 AM   #13
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
When I was doing business with Razny, they said they were getting two SS Daytonas/month. And that was before they opened the store in Chicago. 2 1/2 years later, I got my deposit back when I gave up. While demand for these SS Rolexes has skyrocketed, supply has not lessened over the last several years. I don't believe ANY Chicago-area Rolex AD is getting only one BLNR/year, but that's just my opinion.
Old 18 January 2020, 07:25 AM   #14
Ttm0tion
"TRF" Member

Watch: JC DeepSea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckobros View Post
Don't start...
LOL, I was recently told that by someone. Is it not true?
Ttm0tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 07:32 AM   #15
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:

My AD promised me a special watch for my 40th that was last April. Told me I was first on the list for
The blnr new model didn’t get me one. I gave him bought one from timepiecegentleman. I hate ADs
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 07:36 AM   #16
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Yes, that's true.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 07:37 AM   #17
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

What do they buy in? Jewels? What else? Most of the materials that go into the watch are manufactured and fabricated in house. From the raw materials to arrival at the warehouse, a period of around a year doesn't sound unrealistic.

It might be. But not as unrealistic as the notion that people are actively building and testing it for 365 consecutive days. Fact and marketing claims don't take long to diverge but they are often born from the same technical truth.

I had a discussion with an AD SA a few months ago in which the SA said that Rolex were increasing production by working Saturdays. He also claimed that their most popular and in demand models were OPs and DJs. They didn't sell so many Professional watches because they are a comparatively small niche. He must have thought I was constipated or in some kind of pain, such was the extent to which I screwed my features up to avoid laughing out loud.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 07:39 AM   #18
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Have you purchased from this AD before? Did they make any sort of promises or simply put your name down? And, which AD is it?
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 07:45 AM   #19
matt_Denver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub (no date)
she was being honest - it does take a year, there is a lot of testing and quality assurance before it is shipped to ADs. they could have 100s-1000s of Batgirls made every day that go into testing/quality/etc and then a year later 100s-1000s are avail each day. does that make sense?
Old 18 January 2020, 07:57 AM   #20
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The only thing that is "true" is that the model number for that particular GMT is 126710BLNR. The rest is just opinion.

Now back to the thread...
Old 18 January 2020, 08:05 AM   #21
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Quote:
Yes, you're correct. However, some fragile ego's can't take it for some reason.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 08:10 AM   #22
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktehtank View Post
Yes, you're correct. However, some fragile ego's can't take it for some reason.
Egos aside, it tends to derail topics, I am sure you can understand that?

I too heard about the 1 year / watch from an AD. Her explanation was it wasn't someone having to put the watch together but "gathering" materials to manufacture was figured in. With that being said, if that were factored in I could only imagine how long it would take to make most things.
Old 18 January 2020, 08:15 AM   #23
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
Sounds similar to the "three months ago, the market was *totally* different" story AD's say about how much harder availability is "now" versus back "then"
IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 08:24 AM   #24
rob020880
"TRF" Member

It is the Batgirl. We can call it the Barbie for all I care, still love it and will have it one day.

The AD was James & Williams in Berwyn. Seemed like a great shot. Out of the in Chicagoland, seemingly reputable. I specifically went there first because I build homes in an area near there. Figured I would help out the local guy.

They had a yellow notepad behind the counter with a list of requests. When I was put on the list it was about half the page and only four other requests for the Batgirl.

I have found other AD's being slightly more receptive, or at least willing to engage in conversation. On the "list" at about four others. You can tell right away if its going to happen or not.

Enlisting my wife and cute kid to go with me to the next one this weekend. Wife wants to get this for me.

Can see it going better for her then me. She'll probably give them one of the woman to woman "you have to let me buy this watch for him, hes crazy, I can't stop hearing about it, its his 40th, etc" Nice lady at another AD this might work on.

Haha, this is so stupid.
Old 18 January 2020, 08:26 AM   #25
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
Go to a different AD... can probably get one for you in a few months if you play your cards right
IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 08:27 AM   #26
2024 Pledge Member

Well if they sell 1 million watches a year and it takes 1 year to make a watch.....pretty impressive that they can put a million years worth of work into 1 year. It may take 1 year to make a watch but it also only takes 1 year to make 1 million.
433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 08:34 AM   #27
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think they got more than one. From what I hear BLNR are delivered much more frequently than Pepsis and their declining prices in the aftermarket reflect this. Actually, the discontinued Oyster version is more sought after.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 08:42 AM   #28
Shihan
Banned

Quote:

Hate to break it to you but he has sold probably 3 dozen to his special customers. There are no lists.
Shihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 08:51 AM   #29
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Back in the day one of Rolex’s ad slogans was, takes a year to make a Rolex.
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 09:20 AM   #30
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Seems legit.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote