The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 17 February 2012, 10:17 AM   #1
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
EXTREMELY upset!!!

My friend has several Rolexes that he takes to a place where they fix watches to get his watches sized and what not. Instead of taking it to the AD that charges 25, yes 25!!! to get sized he told me to take it to his friends watch place who will only charge 3. so I did got it sized (removed 2 links) when I got the watch back on the sides of the links and around the area where the links were removed are scratched up and even have a few nicks in some areas on the side and back of some of the nearby links, even the clasp has a scratch on the side. what kind of half ass job was that?????? I didn't notice till after I got home. Not only that but it seems on one of the link holes they put their own pin in there. I am furious!!! So now the clasp has a small scratch on it, the links on either side of the clasp (the small one connecting it to the main links and the ones that are directly connected to the clasp) have dings and scratches on either side. As for the other links I dont care because I have extra links but that's besides the point! I guess I have to live with it until I take it in for its full service in a few years.
Old 17 February 2012, 10:38 AM   #2
soopies123
"TRF" Member

they don't have a policy where if they scratch up your watch they have to pay for it? most places do...

sorry to hear though..i'd be pretty pissed off too
soopies123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 10:42 AM   #3
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopies123 View Post
they don't have a policy where if they scratch up your watch they have to pay for it? most places do...

sorry to hear though..i'd be pretty pissed off too
I dont want to deal with them anymore!!!
Old 17 February 2012, 10:46 AM   #4
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
take it as a lesson learnt: you pay peanuts you get monkeys

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 10:49 AM   #5
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
take it as a lesson learnt: you pay peanuts you get monkeys
hahaha yes sir, im learning to live with it. Good thing is when I take it to get its full service in 5 years Omega will make the watch like new
Old 17 February 2012, 10:51 AM   #6
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAMD11 View Post
hahaha yes sir, im learning to live with it. Good thing is when I take it to get its full service in 5 years Omega will make the watch like new
exactly. we can live with scrathces but when someone else ( who we trust with the watch) does it, it is very annoying. In 2 weeks you wont even notice them

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 11:13 AM   #7
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
exactly. we can live with scrathces but when someone else ( who we trust with the watch) does it, it is very annoying. In 2 weeks you wont even notice them
Yeah, I know how that is. I have a friend who took his Omega to an AD for a service and the watch came in messed up. he had to ship it to Omega and get it properly taken care of. It is what it is. What made me even more upset is that they had the gull to set the time on it. You see I work at an airline and I have it set on eastern time (since we go off the NYSE time) I live in Mountain time and they set it on mountain time!! when I had it calibrated on eastern time off of my computer time so I can keep track of its time keeping, damn these people!!
Old 17 February 2012, 11:14 AM   #8
lebowski321

Watch: Rolex
In college, I worked at my friends parents pawn shop and I would always size peoples watches (any brand) free of charge. It's all about having the correct tool for the job and taking your time. If we didn't have the correct size tool, I would politely decline to work on the watch..
lebowski321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
That goodness it's only links and not the case that got damaged.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 11:55 AM   #10
jmsrolls
Banned

That's one of the benefits of my dealer. If you give him your wrist measurement, he'll size it for free before he ships.

When you think of the thousands of Omegas he's sized, I guess you could consider him to be an expert.

When I began dealing with him back in 2003, he sized all of my watches. Then as I began picking up a few pre-owned, I bought a tool and did it myself. But the Bond multilink bracelet and the new screw/pin links drive me crazy. Never again will I tackle those myself.

Sorry you had a bad experience but fortunately links are replaceable.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 11:58 AM   #11
Spikedlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to narrow
First Omega I got from Jared the idiot woman tried to install the pins backwards. She kept hammering away, bending one of the pins before realizing the little arrows on the links that show you which way to push the pin in. I will never. Ever. Ever!!! Get a watch from there or sized there ever again.
Spikedlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 11:59 AM   #12
z32turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Varies
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I hope you are able to get it buffed out at a later date.

Instagram @z32turbo
z32turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 06:12 PM   #13
experimentjon
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a bad experience indeed. When I got my like-new Planet Ocean (still had all the plastics and was just two weeks old from the dealer), I resized it myself b/c I'm too cheap and too lazy to go all the way to the mall. Ended up putting a scratch or two on the bracelet. So I was a bit disappointed since it is my most expensive watch, but figured that with a week of wear, it'd be there anyway. So not a huge deal. Of course, that's what I expected since it was a DIY job anyway. If I paid for it, I'd expect better work...but still proportional to the amount I paid.
experimentjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 06:19 PM   #14
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

My AD sized mine for free... I would assume that's quite common.

Would have done it myself but I couldn't find my screwdriver.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I would be pissed.
phillycheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 07:01 PM   #15
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
Sounds like a bad experience indeed. When I got my like-new Planet Ocean (still had all the plastics and was just two weeks old from the dealer), I resized it myself b/c I'm too cheap and too lazy to go all the way to the mall. Ended up putting a scratch or two on the bracelet. So I was a bit disappointed since it is my most expensive watch, but figured that with a week of wear, it'd be there anyway. So not a huge deal. Of course, that's what I expected since it was a DIY job anyway. If I paid for it, I'd expect better work...but still proportional to the amount I paid.
That's the way I see it Jonathan, I got my Seamaster used as well from a trusted TRF member. So I didnt pay MSRP or anywhere near it. When I got it, it had its dings and scratches here and there and I can live with that. It looks new at first glance, but like everything in life once you start to look at it closely you find the flaws. But the fact that I just got a few more scratches and dings just like that gets to me haha. I have only had the watch for about 2 weeks, and like you I was too cheap to go to the AD and get it done haha. This place was recommended by my friend who takes his Rolexes to him and right next to me and it was only 3 bucks compared to 25 from the AD I plan to wear this watch quite often and as time goes on I am going to put my own dings and scratches on it, it's just the way it is. The way I see it, when I take it for the servicing in 5-7 years or so, Omega will make the watch operate and look like new The most important thing is the watch is running perfectly and there were no scratches or dings done to the case itself just the last few links. Which as I mentioned if I wanted to I could take it to the AD and have them replaced with the ones I have spare, but why bother when in 5-7 years they will be replaced when I take it to the servicing!
Old 18 February 2012, 12:09 AM   #16
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Post some pictures, maybe a few minutes with a Scotchbrite pad will take care of the problem
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2012, 02:27 AM   #17
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Sorry to hear about that mate! Scratches add character indeed but I personally prefer to put them on my watches myself than having a jeweler doing it by trying to fix my bracelet!
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2012, 06:17 AM   #18
Dream99
Banned

Please try to console yourself with the fact that Omega will return your beloved watch back to new when you ask them to. Whether you can wait till a service is due is down to your will power. All you can do, as has been said previously is put the whole wretched disaster down to experience and dont go down that road again.
Dream99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2012, 06:30 AM   #19
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Here are some pics. The first pic if you notice the links above the clasp are scratched the half link has a small ding on it, as well as the clasp on the top right. If you also notice on the main link above the clasp there is a round buldge now, looks like her used some sort of tool to hold it. On the other side pretty much the same to a lesser extent. On the second pic you can clearly see the 3 dings on the link below the clasp. On the right you see the link below the clasp is a little scratched and he used a pin that did NOT come with the watch on the second insert down. its a goldish color. The main link below the half link on the right middle is dinged too second and third link have a scratch too. I really dont know what this guy was even doing. Lesson learned tho.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0080.jpg (114.7 KB, 710 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0081.jpg (111.1 KB, 709 views)
Old 18 February 2012, 06:33 AM   #20
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream99 View Post
Please try to console yourself with the fact that Omega will return your beloved watch back to new when you ask them to. Whether you can wait till a service is due is down to your will power. All you can do, as has been said previously is put the whole wretched disaster down to experience and dont go down that road again.
Yes sir, that is what I am learning to accept. I wont do a servicing until its needed, no need to shell out $$ because of a few scratches, movement runs perfectly and case is 99% in tact. As I mentioned I plan to wear this quite often and it WILL get even more scratches and dings in the years to come. Once I take it in, in about 5-7 years it will look and run like new again
Old 18 February 2012, 07:00 AM   #21
eric23
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear, sounds like a bad deal, I would go back there and ask them for my money back.
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2012, 01:39 PM   #22
sharpq
Banned

Watch: What day is it?
Those 3 dings around the first link hole is from the "jeweler" trying to hammer out the pin w/ a pusher. Looks like he didn't have the pusher directly on the pin hole and hammered on it and made the dings. Total lack of professionalism and taking their time on someone's property!

That's why I read on here how to do it myself (great sticky "making it fit"), then if I make a ding, it's my fault. I can live with that, but not someone else doing it and taking my money, too!!

Good luck ,the watch is still bad azzzzz! :)

Todd
sharpq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2012, 01:57 PM   #23
Kanger
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
I know that feeling. A year and half ago I had a full plastics brand new Milgauss GV and took it to a local watch shop to remove the bracelet and put it on a NATO. I was ready to pay whatever price needed to get it done right. The owner removed the bracelet, and made three gouges in the INNER lugs, on a brand new GV with plastics. I am talking about dings, chunks of metal missing. I was so upset that I never wore the watch once, even though I sent it to Rikki to get it polished out at my own expense. It completely ruined the watch and left a bad taste in my mouth for a long time.

The name of the store was Davidgerald fine timepieces in Chapel Hill. They are no longer at the same location, and judging by the way my GV was treated I can see why.

If you can live with these small scratches then waiting for the next service is the best idea. No need to spend extra money. But I feel what you are feeling man.
Kanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2012, 02:17 PM   #24
sherwin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thats what I told Singapore RSC, of which they said, but its already scratched, no point trying to prevent the inevitable....
Old 18 February 2012, 05:47 PM   #25
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Gotta love the push pin setup.... Nope.

IMO its less than half arse job......
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2012, 05:57 PM   #26
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

There is only one word to describe this so called jeweler, imbecile
Old 18 February 2012, 06:14 PM   #27
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanger View Post
I know that feeling. A year and half ago I had a full plastics brand new Milgauss GV and took it to a local watch shop to remove the bracelet and put it on a NATO. I was ready to pay whatever price needed to get it done right. The owner removed the bracelet, and made three gouges in the INNER lugs, on a brand new GV with plastics. I am talking about dings, chunks of metal missing. I was so upset that I never wore the watch once, even though I sent it to Rikki to get it polished out at my own expense. It completely ruined the watch and left a bad taste in my mouth for a long time.

The name of the store was Davidgerald fine timepieces in Chapel Hill. They are no longer at the same location, and judging by the way my GV was treated I can see why.

If you can live with these small scratches then waiting for the next service is the best idea. No need to spend extra money. But I feel what you are feeling man.
I know exactly what you mean about the whole thing leaving a bad taste in your mouth. I was so upset yesterday that I didn't even care about the watch I even wanted to sell it. I'm still upset of the carelessness of this guy its sickening. I'm going to NYC soon and will visit the boutique I've seen people come in and they do some complimentary stuff to people who walk in with their omegas i hope a few link polishing or replacement is one of them. I refuse to dish out more money for someone else's ineptness.
Old 21 February 2012, 10:44 AM   #28
TheCanadian1
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIC, Sub Hulk
I would be furious. Sorry to hear this happen
TheCanadian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2012, 01:12 AM   #29
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Yup, it's a hack job.....You'll never see them once the watch get some more battle scars, but they should do something for you
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2012, 01:26 AM   #30
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
i like the push pin system ,,, they dont fall out , or need loctite.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote