The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 28 February 2012, 11:13 AM   #1
looking to buy
"TRF" Member

Considering a Planet Ocean..Need a little direction

Hello, to date I have been just a Rolex and old pocket watch kind of guy. But, the Orange Planet Ocean really has my attention. The problem is I cannot figure out what is what. It seems there are two sizes. 42mm and 45.5mm. Then it seems like there is a new in house 8500 movement as opposed to an older 2500 or 2900(?) movement that may be an ETA. When I look on eBay, some of them have many bids and some no bids. On this forum the Planet Oceans seem to sell right away. I called a dealer some 75 miles from where I live and he said he has a new 8500 42mm for $4500. I probably have no interest in a new one. Especially at that price.

So I seem to have done as much research as I can but still really have no clear idea as to what is out there and what I would be buying. Any enlightenment that some of you could give me on what seems a myriad of choices would be welcome.
looking to buy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2012, 11:40 AM   #2
TimingIsEverything
Banned

Well that's a very good price for a 42mm planet ocean with the new 8500 movement...

To answer your questions:

The new 8500 movement is all in house, meaning it was designed and fully manufactures d by Omega.. On these new watches with this movement, they have clear sapphire exhibition casebacks to see the beautiful movement- the older Omega's (2500 movement) do not.

I see you said that you wob't be interested in the new 8500 movement Omega planet ocean at that price... Just to let you know, that the used market for that piece is actually the same price or even higher from what I have researched.

The reason why you might see some sell so fast here is because of the seller's reputation, the condition and price, etc, etc. also the size and combination of straps or bracelets is a big factor when a watch sells- that might answer your question about why eVay auctions have some bids, and some do not... I promise though, every Omega Planet Ocean listed on eBay will sell, it just depends on the combination/seize/condition/warranty/etc- as some
Or more desirable than others-that's all personal preference.

I never heard of the 2900 movement by the way...

Also, if you are looking to buy the older model PO, you can probably find one at BEST for $2000 cheaper than the brand NEW 8500 PO your dealer 75 miles away quoted you... IMHO I would definitely take up on that $4,500 price if you wanted to go that high.
TimingIsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2012, 11:41 AM   #3
gmsmith
"TRF" Member

I have been struggling with the same/similar decision. Honestly for a new PO 8500 at $4500, I would jump on that.

I have been debating the 2500D or the 8500. I am pretty much sold on the 45.5mm. It seems to work better on me. I am going to a local AD in DC tomorrow who has a 2500D in stock and talk to him a bit (my understanding is that he does some discounting).
gmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2012, 12:29 PM   #4
SynMike

The 2500 is based on a ETA ebauche. But Omega does some pretty significant improvements over the ETA. Planet Oceans all used this movement until 2011 when the 8500 models were released. Some 2500 based Planet Oceans are still available new but word has it that production has finished so what you see available new from dealers will dwindle. Most of the models you find used will be the 2500 movement ones. IMO the 2500 is a great movement but everyone pretty much agrees the newer 8500 is even better. The new movement is thicker so the new models are thicker to wear. Newer models have other small changes that are visible.

2500 model on left, 8500 model on right.
SynMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2012, 12:42 AM   #5
looking to buy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the insight guys. I have notice the number 2209.50 quite often. Is this a model number for a watch with a 2500 ETA movement? There is one on eBay now with the above number listed.
Old 29 February 2012, 01:12 AM   #6
Kringkily
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster, Rolex
The only 2500 one I would get would be the LM version. If you do plan on going the 2500 route hopefully you'll end up with the 2500D movement which hopefully resolves all earlier issues.
Kringkily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2012, 01:17 AM   #7
looking to buy
"TRF" Member

Great, but I do not see LM on any of the for sale sites. How would I determine that? And would it be possible to list some of the previous issues with the watch?
Thanks.
Old 29 February 2012, 02:32 AM   #8
dieseldragon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω & ♛
I had an orange 2500C variant. It was a superb watch that I really regret selling. There has been some issues reported with the earlier versions of the movement, I had no problems and as these watches with the earlier movements are starting to "get on a bit", I would have thought that any problems would already have surfaced or the watch may have been serviced.
Although I have not had the pleasure of trying the 8500 PO, I think I would find it too thick, the 2500 is quite thick any way, compared to an SMP.
I would get another in a heart beat, the orange is the best looking in my humble opinion.
I also particularly liked the blue tint in the AR coating. The AR on both sides of the crystal gives it the effect of disappearing at times, showing the dial in all its glory.

Old 29 February 2012, 02:34 AM   #9
dieseldragon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking to buy View Post
Great, but I do not see LM on any of the for sale sites. How would I determine that? And would it be possible to list some of the previous issues with the watch?
Thanks.
LM was a proper limited edition of about 4000 pieces. Fr John has one.
Old 29 February 2012, 02:52 AM   #10
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldragon View Post
LM was a proper limited edition of about 4000 pieces. Fr John has one.
Wasn't it limited to 1947 pieces? To commemorate the year Omega first made a Seamaster?
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2012, 04:10 AM   #11
jmsrolls
Banned

The cal 2500 Liquidmetal Limited Edition was limited to 1948 pieces and production has ended. They are very difficult to come by but some have had success calling around to various Omega Boutiques.

The new 8500 movement is a horological marvel but the thick case required by the movement is a deal killer for me. I'll be keeping my PO LM LE.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2012, 05:11 AM   #12
looking to buy
"TRF" Member

I notice that in the watch picture above, the hands are outlined in a sort of bronze color. But, some of the watches on the internet have the hands all the same color. More of a white. I like the bronze look better. Does anyone have any input on the reason for this?

Thanks
Old 29 February 2012, 06:37 AM   #13
dieseldragon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking to buy View Post
I notice that in the watch picture above, the hands are outlined in a sort of bronze color. But, some of the watches on the internet have the hands all the same color. More of a white. I like the bronze look better. Does anyone have any input on the reason for this?

Thanks
Just the lighting.
Old 29 February 2012, 07:00 AM   #14
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
I had an older PO black bezel with orange number 42mm. There were things I loved about that watch and things I didn't.

The things I didn't like: Whether the slower beat rate or just my particular watch, the second hand was very jerky when it swept. That really bugged me. It did keep excellent time though. The other thing was the matte black dial. In certain lights, the AR coating made it look great. However in others, it was the ugliest flat grey color you have ever seen. Made the watch look really cheap.

The things I liked: Just about everything else... comfort was beyond great, fit and finish - excellent, lume - outstanding (beats the pants off Rolex), bracelet - a thing of beauty, caseback engraving- beautiful...I could go on.

In the end, I opted to sell it and another watch to fund my Sub C and haven't looked back. However with the 8500 movement, screws in the bracelet, display back, glossier dial, and ceramic bezel.... if I didn't own the Sub C already, it would be a hard decision between that and the new PO. However, I probably wouldn't buy the older one again. There are also MANY accounts of problems with the 2500 movement. Many have experienced problems (one of the most common seems to be the movement just stopping out of the blue) and others have had theirs for years without a hiccup. Good luck with your decision!
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2012, 12:12 AM   #15
kmleffler
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SD GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimingIsEverything View Post
Well that's a very good price for a 42mm planet ocean with the new 8500 movement...

To answer your questions:

The new 8500 movement is all in house, meaning it was designed and fully manufactures d by Omega.. On these new watches with this movement, they have clear sapphire exhibition casebacks to see the beautiful movement- the older Omega's (2500 movement) do not.

I see you said that you wob't be interested in the new 8500 movement Omega planet ocean at that price... Just to let you know, that the used market for that piece is actually the same price or even higher from what I have researched.

The reason why you might see some sell so fast here is because of the seller's reputation, the condition and price, etc, etc. also the size and combination of straps or bracelets is a big factor when a watch sells- that might answer your question about why eVay auctions have some bids, and some do not... I promise though, every Omega Planet Ocean listed on eBay will sell, it just depends on the combination/seize/condition/warranty/etc- as some
Or more desirable than others-that's all personal preference.

I never heard of the 2900 movement by the way...

Also, if you are looking to buy the older model PO, you can probably find one at BEST for $2000 cheaper than the brand NEW 8500 PO your dealer 75 miles away quoted you... IMHO I would definitely take up on that $4,500 price if you wanted to go that high.
There are actually four models of the Omega PO with the 8500 movement and black bezel. There is a 42mm and 45.5mm with the ceramic bezel, clear case back, and silicon main spring - the MSRP on these is $6,200. They also have a 42mm and 45.5mm PO 8500 with the non-ceramic bezel, solid case back, and the old style main spring - the MSRP on these models is $4,500. My guess is the quote you got was for the 8500 PO with the non-ceramic bezel.
kmleffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2012, 05:25 AM   #16
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
You have mentioned this before ( or something to that effect) and it is inaccurate.

The PO 8500s ( new models) are the ones that only have the ceramic bezel, silicon mainspring, and clear case back. These are at $6200.

The old POs with the 2500 movement have the aluminum bezel, solid case back, and old main spring. These are at $4500.

Bottom line is that there is NO PO 8500 with a non-ceramic bezel, solid case back, and old style spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmleffler View Post
There are actually four models of the Omega PO with the 8500 movement and black bezel. There is a 42mm and 45.5mm with the ceramic bezel, clear case back, and silicon main spring - the MSRP on these is $6,200. They also have a 42mm and 45.5mm PO 8500 with the non-ceramic bezel, solid case back, and the old style main spring - the MSRP on these models is $4,500. My guess is the quote you got was for the 8500 PO with the non-ceramic bezel.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2012, 06:54 AM   #17
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

I got a buddy that is not only an Omega/Rolex AD owner but also a WIS.
He is really nice guy and he will take good care of you, tax free since out of state.
PM me if you need his info. You won't find a better experience and he actually knows watches.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2012, 07:03 AM   #18
psv
"TRF" Member

I really wouldn't advise to buy a Planet Ocean on eBay - too many fakes and sleeze-ballls around. I'd try to find one here, on timezone.com or WUS from a trusted party if you wanted to buy a used one.

As for the new ceramic PO: the list is $6,200 so if you are getting one for $4,500 I'd say that is a very nice deal. You can pick up the older model for around $2,000 - $2,500, I think which perhaps is more inline on what you want to spend.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote