The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 1 March 2012, 03:55 PM   #1
ManUtd
"TRF" Member

PO 8500: SS vs. Ti

After seeing beautiful pictures of the PO 8500 Ti I made a few phone calls to ADs today and found out that nobody has them yet, at least in the SF Bay Area. I haven't tried on a 45.5mm watch (biggest one I have is 42mm) so I went to an AD to see for myself. I love the size! I tried on this PO 8500 SS. Now I'm kinda torn between the two. The blue of the Ti version is simply stunning, at least in the pictures I've seen. On the other hand, the SS version is gorgeous too. For those who have seen both in person, which one do you like more and do you think the Ti version is worth the $2600 premium over the SS?
Old 1 March 2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Dream99
Banned

Hi Eric.
I have seen the Ti, the non chrono version and instantly did not like it. I did not like the colour of the Titanium (grey) it felt way to light almost cheap feeeling to it and the blue looked strange too. Like yourself I was very keen to purchase the Ti with Rubber strap but have moved away from that idea now Ive seen it. The SS version is, IMO far nicer watch and looks great on the wrist. By the way I have only seen the Ti it in the Omega Boutique not in an AD yet
Dream99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2012, 11:50 PM   #3
buddy13
"TRF" Member

Watch: Orient star 300m
Remember there is a large difference in weight (comfort) between the 2 ...
buddy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2012, 03:12 AM   #4
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

One of the Omega boutiques in London received the titanium 8500 (all models) in November because they phoned me up and asked if I was interested. I passed and bought a titanium Panerai instead.
Old 2 March 2012, 04:04 AM   #5
ManUtd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream99 View Post
Hi Eric.
I have seen the Ti, the non chrono version and instantly did not like it. I did not like the colour of the Titanium (grey) it felt way to light almost cheap feeeling to it and the blue looked strange too. Like yourself I was very keen to purchase the Ti with Rubber strap but have moved away from that idea now Ive seen it. The SS version is, IMO far nicer watch and looks great on the wrist. By the way I have only seen the Ti it in the Omega Boutique not in an AD yet
Hey Alan, from what I read and also viewing some pics online, the Ti on this PO is very close in color to the SS unlike the past Ti Omega watches. It's interesting that your observation is different. In your opinion, is the Ti color on this watch about the same as the older Ti Omegas?

About the weight, this is actually one of my concerns. A watch of this size I expect it to be of some considerable weight. For me it would be awkward to have a large watch that is "too light." How much lighter percentage-wise is the Ti over the SS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
Remember there is a large difference in weight (comfort) between the 2 ...
Are you saying that in your experience the SS becomes uncomfortable due to its weight. I ask because all my watches are nowhere this heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
One of the Omega boutiques in London received the titanium 8500 (all models) in November because they phoned me up and asked if I was interested. I passed and bought a titanium Panerai instead.
What made you pass on the PO Ti?
Old 2 March 2012, 04:19 AM   #6
timlaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Coke 16710
guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder = I tried the blue titanium and thought it was a stunning watch in every way. for me it is a bit pricey for an omega at £5300 whereas the stainless is £3700 in the UK.

I thought the weight was far from light and loved the blue.

will be looking for one pre owned in a couple of years.

agreed only in boutiques at the moment

124060 Submariner, 16710 Coke, 16570 Black dial, Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial, Tudor Black Bay GMT, Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue, Tudor Black Bay 58 925, Tudor Prince Date Chronograph (panda dial)
timlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2012, 10:49 AM   #7
mfserge
Banned

Watch: YM40 Rhodium
Doesn't get much better than this one!!

mfserge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2012, 12:12 PM   #8
ManUtd
"TRF" Member

Serge, with those excellent pics I don't think anyone could argue.
Old 2 March 2012, 12:25 PM   #9
TimingIsEverything
Banned

The titanium Omega Planet Ocean IMHO is gorgeous. Love the blue. But IMHO titanium is WAY too light for me... When I spoke to a girl at the Omega boutique she said some of the people she knows have to check to make sure the watch is still on their wrist!
TimingIsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2012, 01:12 PM   #10
mfserge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimingIsEverything View Post
When I spoke to a girl at the Omega boutique she said some of the people she knows have to check to make sure the watch is still on their wrist!
Prime example of how the employees at Boutiques are *$#)@)$*#. Some of you make it sound like a TI watch is weightless and it floats above your wrist in a gravity defying hover. It's not THAT light, sheesh.
Old 2 March 2012, 07:42 PM   #11
buddy13
"TRF" Member

Watch: Orient star 300m
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post

Are you saying that in your experience the SS becomes uncomfortable due to its weight. I ask because all my watches are nowhere this heavy.
Yes the Ti would definitely be more comfortable for day to day wear, especially in hot weather etc...

Do not believe for one second that the Ti is TOO light. It still has some nice weight to it. If prices was no issue I would DEFINITELY prefer the Ti...
buddy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2012, 09:42 PM   #12
LeOnfromtheblock
"TRF" Member

I really like the TI going off pics as I love blue watches but the size (45mm) is just too big for my wrists.. :(
LeOnfromtheblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2012, 12:26 AM   #13
mic6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116718 green
I saw the blue titanium PO today for the first time

Watch too light, dial too dark blue, bracelet almost grey

Didn't like it at all

SS all the way
Old 3 March 2012, 12:32 AM   #14
TimingIsEverything
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfserge View Post
Prime example of how the employees at Boutiques are *$#)@)$*#. Some of you make it sound like a TI watch is weightless and it floats above your wrist in a gravity defying hover. It's not THAT light, sheesh.
Titanium is quite a bit lighter than steel. Everything feels very different from what most people who like watches are used to. It's lighter than steel by basically 45%.

When you pick up a very large, thick watch, with a hefty-looking bracelet (like the 8500 PO Ti) Your mind expects to feel something heavier and more robust. This is why I see it can pose a problem for some people weight-wise.
Old 3 March 2012, 01:06 AM   #15
mfserge
Banned

Quote:
Titanium is quite a bit lighter than steel. Everything feels very different from what most people who like watches are used to. It's lighter than steel by basically 45%.

When you pick up a very large, thick watch, with a hefty-looking bracelet (like the 8500 PO Ti) Your mind expects to feel something heavier and more robust. This is why I see it can pose a problem for some people weight-wise.
I have a SS PO Chrono and the Ti 8500, there isn't a huge weight difference. Yes the Ti is lighter, but not to the point where it feels as if you're not wearing a watch nor does it feel cheap.
Old 3 March 2012, 02:05 AM   #16
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
invicta

Quote:
IMO, if you want heavy, buy Invicta. Heavy and quality are not the same thing. I'm not a big fan of TI because I find SS to be a near perfect watch material and the TI is kind of dark. However, the bigger a watch gets, the more I appreciate the advantages of TI.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2012, 02:56 AM   #17
mfserge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
IMO, if you want heavy, buy Invicta. Heavy and quality are not the same thing. I'm not a big fan of TI because I find SS to be a near perfect watch material and the TI is kind of dark. However, the bigger a watch gets, the more I appreciate the advantages of TI.
Some Ti watches are dark but the Omega Ti is the same finish as the brushed portion of my Rolex GMT watch. What is cool about what Omega has done, is there is a facet of the case where they polished the Ti to a mirror finish. The color of the Omega Ti is not the same as some JLC or Panerai Ti watches; I've owned 3 JLC titanium watches and Omega's finish is in a different league IMO; it looks like brushed SS.
Old 3 March 2012, 03:32 AM   #18
Dream99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic6 View Post
I saw the blue titanium PO today for the first time

Watch too light, dial too dark blue, bracelet almost grey

Didn't like it at all

SS all the way
Thats how I feel too. Hated the lightness and the grey colour. The blue is hardly better. In chrono format it look stupid in my opinion. way way way to tall.
Old 3 March 2012, 03:34 AM   #19
Dream99
Banned

Quote:
Some Ti watches are dark but the Omega Ti is the same finish as the brushed portion of my Rolex GMT watch. What is cool about what Omega has done, is there is a facet of the case where they polished the Ti to a mirror finish. The color of the Omega Ti is not the same as some JLC or Panerai Ti watches; I've owned 3 JLC titanium watches and Omega's finish is in a different league IMO; it looks like brushed SS.
I really dont think it looks like SS at all. it looks like Titanium with a nice polished finish
Old 3 March 2012, 04:59 AM   #20
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post

What made you pass on the PO Ti?
I preferred the Panerai (and I've had bad customer service from Swatch Group)
Old 3 March 2012, 05:20 AM   #21
TimingIsEverything
Banned

Quote:
Yeah I noticed they had it polished too. I was wondering myself if this is something manufacturers usually do with titanium.. I know it's polishable because my driver for golfing is titianium and that has a polished heel and underside.
Old 3 March 2012, 07:31 AM   #22
mfserge
Banned

Quote:
Yeah I noticed they had it polished too. I was wondering myself if this is something manufacturers usually do with titanium.. I know it's polishable because my driver for golfing is titianium and that has a polished heel and underside.
Unfortunately, most manufactures do not use Grade 5 Titanium. For example, Breitling uses grade 2 Titanium in the CA; lower grade Titanium cannot be polished. Grade 5 Ti can be polished but it's a very labor intensive process requiring a lot of lubrication and machining...which is why you don't see if that often. Omega has polished the edges of the case and the sides of the links which look awesome.