The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 February 2006, 02:03 PM   #1
paceme2
"TRF" Member

Question on Daytona purchase.

I am very close to purchasing a Daytona from a AD. The few he gets himself with open papers go to individuals who spend a whole lot more than I do. This AD keeps a couple on hand at all times and we are close to a deal on one that is brand new but does not have open papers. My question (that I am going to ask him) but what to hear from you first is---

Does the warranty start when the papers were dated with someone else's name? I can't imagine any other way. My concern is that I won't have a true 2 year warranty.

Also does the F serial numbered Daytona have the fat hands or did that only start with the D serial number?

Last edited by paceme2; 27 February 2006 at 02:04 PM..
paceme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2006, 02:25 PM   #2
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I believe the warranty starts with the date on the papers, regardless of the name.
Not so sure about the fat hands.
JJ or Padi will fill you in pretty quick on that one.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2006, 03:16 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Welcome to TRF, pal. Yes, some Daytonas, especially black dial, did come out with a few "fat" hands in the F-series.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2006, 05:29 PM   #4
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF paceme2 it looks as though you got your answers by John and JJ so I'll just add Good luck with the acquisition and let us know how it turns out
Old 27 February 2006, 07:27 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Welcome to TRF paceme2 your questions have been answered the warranty normally starts from the date stamp when sold by the AD.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2006, 09:58 PM   #6
AJC
"TRF" Member

I thought I heard somewhere that the new warranty was only applicable to the original owner.

This may only apply to certain countries,then again it may be total BS.

Aaron
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2006, 03:01 AM   #7
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
I maybe wrong but, I thought the warranty was valid for the entire year or 2 depending the situation no matter if the watch got flipped by the likes of JJ !!!! roflmao
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2006, 03:05 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

The warranty should be valid from the actual date stamped (or handwritten) on the warranty certificate. See picture below which states that my watch was purchased on the 8th Feb. 2006.

Even if I sell it say a year down the line (which I won't ), the new owner gets the benefit of only the balance of the warranty, i.e. one year only.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 28 February 2006, 04:39 AM   #9
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC
I thought I heard somewhere that the new warranty was only applicable to the original owner.

This may only apply to certain countries,then again it may be total BS.

Aaron
Aaron, I know from personal expierence with a watch that passed through my hands for a week or so that it is only transferable if you can make a cock and bull story like it was a gift, that is why the name is another persons. At least that was the case here in the states.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2006, 04:40 AM   #10
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Sorry, a big welcome to TRF paceme2, glad to have you here and good luck with the deal.

Old 28 February 2006, 05:23 AM   #11
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

I purchased a white SS Daytona from an AD a few months ago (fat hands F series).
If there is a name on the warranty paper, Rolex will only honor the warranty if the original owner sends the watch in.
If there is no name on the warranty papers, just a date, then you are OK.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2006, 05:42 AM   #12
Atomic

I'm in Canada and purchased my Rolex a month after the papers were put into someone else's name (the purchaser made the critical error of not telling his wife, then took a bath on resale).

When I bought the watch from a reseller in Toronto, I immediately took the watch to Rolex Canada, to swap it over into my name, serial number-wise, and while there, they cracked the caseback and gave it a once over.

They never once asked for the papers (even though I told them I just bought it second hand) and did the deal and told me in no uncertain terms that I had the balance of the warranty coverage, which was 23 months.

However, the balanace of a two year warranty on a tough watch like a Rolex is moot. While I have heard of people who have had an issue or two within that time period, it's been a miniscule percentage.

One trick to do, however... just before the warranty runs out, send it in with a cock and bull story about it being off an unacceptable amount per day, and they'll open it, clean it and regulate it, all free of charge (at least, Rolex Canada will do this).

BTW, if you're getting the holy grail of Rolex, I think the least of your concerns is the amount of time left on the warranty. Get it at list and enjoy!
Old 28 February 2006, 12:20 PM   #13
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Let me add my welcome to TRF, paceme2. Glad you could join us. As for the warranty issue, I wouldn't sweat it. As Johnny pointed out, the chances of something going wrong with a tough watch like a Daytona is sufficiently miniscule that the warranty will be practically meaningless. Just go for it and post pics when its on your wrist.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2006, 02:16 AM   #14
dfn8tly

Watch: GMT-II
Careful with the info.

PACEME2, welcome to a wonderful international forum. All of the knowledgable, kind gentlemen (and ladies) here will do everything they can to provide accuarate information and advise.

However, please note that warranties and marketing strategies in the U.S. and Europe are entirely different. In some cases you may as well be talking different planets. This subject has been discussed ad nauseam here and on other forums. I'm not inclined to start all over again.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to share whatever information I have regarding the differences.

One quick thought. If your AD is trying to sell you a BNIB watch with someone else's name on the warranty there is something VERY wrong. Just me personal opinion.
dfn8tly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2006, 04:13 AM   #15
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
"One quick thought. If your AD is trying to sell you a BNIB watch with someone else's name on the warranty there is something VERY wrong. Just me personal opinion.

So true Richard!!!

hmmmm, if there is another persons name on the warranty then can we expect 1.5 - 2.5% discount over and beyond the original 15-25% for every letter in the name? Or is this just wishful thinking ??? ;o)
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2006, 04:16 AM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
"One quick thought. If your AD is trying to sell you a BNIB watch with someone else's name on the warranty there is something VERY wrong. Just me personal opinion.

So true Richard!!!

hmmmm, if there is another persons name on the warranty then can we expect 1.5 - 2.5% discount over and beyond the original 15-25% for every letter in the name? Or is this just wishful thinking ??? ;o)
Actually since he's an AD, I really wouldn't worry too much about it. What must have happened is this: The original owner must have had a change of heart for that watch and wanted another one instead. So he gives it back to the AD, probably loses some money on it, and takes another model instead.

Now the AD is stuck with this one, so he resells it back, making a small profit in the bargain. As long as you're dealing with an AD, I really don't think there's too much to worry about.

JJ

Old 1 March 2006, 04:19 AM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

There are two ADs here in Auckland. BOTH of them have had instances where a person has picked up a watch only to return it a week or so later and trade it in for a completely different make and model.

The dealer then resells this watch as a "Used Rolex" because it already has the date written on the warranty sheet. However, for all practical purposes the watch is still as good as new....and the new buyer might actually benefit from this sale as the dealer can give him a good discount on it....depending on how well (in financial terms) he's traded it in from the other guy.

JJ

Old 1 March 2006, 08:25 AM   #18
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
There are two ADs here in Auckland. BOTH of them have had instances where a person has picked up a watch only to return it a week or so later and trade it in for a completely different make and model.

The dealer then resells this watch as a "Used Rolex" because it already has the date written on the warranty sheet. However, for all practical purposes the watch is still as good as new....and the new buyer might actually benefit from this sale as the dealer can give him a good discount on it....depending on how well (in financial terms) he's traded it in from the other guy.

JJ
That is what I was talking about yesterday with the LV at my dealers shop. If it is worn out of the store, "technically" they have to call it LNIB not BNIB.

Old 1 March 2006, 03:39 PM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
That is what I was talking about yesterday with the LV at my dealers shop. If it is worn out of the store, "technically" they have to call it LNIB not BNIB.
Agreed...100% !!