The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 January 2023, 01:23 AM   #1
TheBluechip
"TRF" Member

The Last of Us watch, a Lum-Tec

So the new Sunday night drama from HBO, the Last of Us, features a watch pretty heavily. As apparently did the video game on which the show is based. While they removed all the badges from the watch on the show, it is pretty clearly a Lum-Tec Super Combat B2 (or a clone of that watch). I believe Sony did years ago also sell a quartz version of the game watch, but the Actual Lum-Tec is a mechanical watch. Anyone know anything about the brand?

Edit: i bring this up, mostly because I find it interesting that a watch so prominently featured in a show from a less known (at least to me) brand.
TheBluechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 01:46 AM   #2
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

I bought a couple for my wife (then girlfriend) and I many many years ago when I was in the US. They were a sponsor on a Porsche forum I used to frequent so I thought it'd be nice to support them a bit. All I can remember is that they were an US based company and the watches were relatively cheap and decent.

The ones I got were made from tungsten carbide (I think), but I have no idea what happened to them or where they are now
ButtButt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 08:01 AM   #3
TheBluechip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
I bought one about 12 years ago. Not an expensive watch but I still feel I over paid. I had problems with the movement and the dial had an obvious blemish on it that was clear as day. I sent it back to get the movement fixed and they did nothing about the dial and the movement started having the same problem again within weeks. I threw it in a drawer and never wore it again.
Well the show does start with the watch not working and sitting in a drawer.
TheBluechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 03:46 PM   #4
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
It might be based on the Lume Tec, but the watch being repaired is clearly a quartz watch when the guy has the back off of it, with a tiny movement and a massive plastic spacer around it.
The printed numbers are smaller, less prominent and, the bezel isn't as wide....Maybe it's actually one of the Sony ones you mentioned ?
Old 6 February 2023, 07:45 PM   #5
johncarbon1991
"TRF" Member

Might anyone here have a lead or know of anyone that might still be selling the lum tec super combat b2? I understand from comments it's not a very good watch, but I still like the aesthetics.
johncarbon1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 09:21 PM   #6
Abs121
"TRF" Member

They are actually really nice watches. The Supercombat B2 was first released in 2012. They only made 999 of them.

Titanium case measuring 45mm
Decorated ETA Unitas 6498-1 movement with a large display back
They also shipped with two NATO straps (black and green one) and a leather strap.

It might be hard to track one down now with only 999 made, but they do pop up every now and then on Chrono24, I think I paid $1500 Australian for mine.

Some of the Lume-Tec’s are cheap, this one was not. Probably owing to the movement and limited edition.
Abs121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 09:47 PM   #7
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Several years agoI bought a Lumtec combat B23, automatic w a carbon case - fun watch, nice lume of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2023, 05:56 AM   #8
DougFNJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 41 Date
Lum-Tec is still around and going strong. They are based out of Ohio, I know the owner Chris, he is a great guy.

They have newer versions of the B2 since then in Quartz and Automatic. He is sourcing the movements he used on the original B2 and is looking to do a limited re-release.

Do a YouTube search for Combat B52, I just reviewed it. Solid piece!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2023, 11:00 PM   #9
marzubus
"TRF" Member

Lüm Tec are making 50 sc b2. ordering just opened up on there websites.
marzubus is offline   Reply With Quote