The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 7 February 2023, 05:12 PM   #3151
*M5
"TRF" Member

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Old 7 February 2023, 05:19 PM   #3152
psm11
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Quote:
Originally Posted by *M5 View Post
MODA watches.....

Just saw a post where the mods are discussing having plenty of issues with the watches being sold within 2-8 months after purchase and they are trying to alter the way business is being done.

All this to say that in my humble opinion, VERY few MODA watches are actually proper and honest watches and they don't and shouldn't reflect market price.

Please note, I am not a dealer, no skin in the game. Just someone observing from the sidelines and looking to purchase.
This is a pretty broad statement. Many of us on here have bought pieces on MODA that have zero issues years later.

The post you are referring to simply revised policy so that if you market a watch on MODA as mint, good condition, etc and something fails on the watch a few weeks or months later, then you will be footing the repair bill if you can’t work it out with the buyer.

The issue they are addressing is dealers trying to pass the buck to other dealers (eg a watch passed through two dealers before going to an end user and the end user has an issue and goes to dealer 2 to address who then blames dealer 1 because that’s who they got the watch from. The mods are eliminating the blame game and making it simpler — if you sold the watch you are on the hook. It’s actually a very good thing for buyers and another reason Moda is a good place to get a watch.)

Also note the post specifically mentions older watches (like older offshores) which makes and is normal since since older pieces would be more likely to have issues.
Old 7 February 2023, 07:00 PM   #3153
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Prices slump by up to 50% for discontinued Rolex watches (Watchpro)

Truth is you don't know for sure what you bought unless it came from an AD.

This applies to any reseller.

Should an issue arise this is where a trusted seller will step in and make it right.
Old 8 February 2023, 01:52 AM   #3154
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
MODA watches.....

Just saw a post where the mods are discussing having plenty of issues with the watches being sold within 2-8 months after purchase and they are trying to alter the way business is being done.

All this to say that in my humble opinion, VERY few MODA watches are actually proper and honest watches and they don't and shouldn't reflect market price.

Please note, I am not a dealer, no skin in the game. Just someone observing from the sidelines and looking to purchase.
You're wrong. I've bought an sold $$$ in watches via moda with almost no issues.

One time I bought a Octo Finissmo that had an issue and seller took it back no problem.

I've been buying/selling stuff on the internet for a decade now and barely had issues. You just have to do your dd..
Old 8 February 2023, 02:12 AM   #3155
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
You're wrong. I've bought an sold $$$ in watches via moda with almost no issues.

One time I bought a Octo Finissmo that had an issue and seller took it back no problem.

I've been buying/selling stuff on the internet for a decade now and barely had issues. You just have to do your dd..
Agreed. It’s abundantly clear and we’ve discussed at great length that MODA is the bellwether for the market.

Royal oaks continue to decline

15400 fullset (great condition) - asking $31k
15500 fullset (great condition) - asking $35k
257030BA with digital archives - asking $33.9k

The BA is particularly crazy, considering it’s a solid gold watch with complications.
Old 8 February 2023, 02:16 AM   #3156
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Agreed. It’s abundantly clear and we’ve discussed at great length that MODA is the bellwether for the market.

The BA is particularly crazy, considering it’s a solid gold watch with complications.
Yeah they are still high prices though, remember when ROs went for below retail? :)

The good days haha.
Old 8 February 2023, 02:19 AM   #3157
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Yeah they are still high prices though, remember when ROs went for below retail? :)

The good days haha.
Haha they are trending that way. Reversion to the mean takes time!

The good old days
Old 8 February 2023, 05:22 AM   #3158
psm11
"TRF" Member

lol now we are back to "buy the dip" comments on MODA
Old 8 February 2023, 06:09 AM   #3159
onyourbikes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psm11 View Post
I'm betting 75% plus of those dealers are new to the game in the last 3 years and are clueless that this was a short blip in a long history of msrp being the high price.
Old 8 February 2023, 06:19 AM   #3160
psm11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyourbikes View Post
I'm betting 75% plus of those dealers are new to the game in the lat 3 years and are clueless that this was a short blip in a long history of msrp being the high price.
So true!
Old 8 February 2023, 06:42 AM   #3161
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bold claims you’re making. Isn’t it weird that one of us gets their flowers in public and the other *claims to get them in private?

Btw, it seems like most people just refute what u say, calling this thread “BS” and the like. Most just quote you and either outright refute what you say, or simply disagree as a point of opinion.

If we’re thinking about the same person, that user was getting over emotional like you, and resorted to cussing people out lol.

Reported for you claiming that I’m using multiple accounts to harass folks. Tasteless and uncalled for.

My point stands - please be a positive contributor or kick rocks.
I didn't say you were responding from multiple accounts. I said people who have messaged me privately think you are. Read properly. The same people are refuting what I say, not different people. Instead of denying how multiple people have privately messaged me thanking me for my contribution. Instead you should ask yourself why you and your gang have made people so uncomfortable that they don't want to message in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachty 1 View Post
No disrespect 911Ap but the proof was shown in the last 6 or so months. Every week a famous you tuber or grey dealer was saying the market has stabilized or its the perfect time to buy. They have been proven wrong. All I can say is this I appreciate this thread if you feel it's false no problem. I will tell you this, and the long time watch collectors understand. Not many people will pull the trigger when you tell them their 30 thousand dollar watch is worth 14. We were there before and might be there again only time will tell. We bought watches because we love them not because it's hot and worth 50 percent more.
Proof of what? Has the market crashed? Of course. Is it still crashing? What evidence is there? Which dealer said the market had stabilized 6 months ago? I watch most of their videos. I haven't seen claims like that. Majority I have seen said it was catching a falling knife to buy any time in the last 6 months. I do believe now though it has somewhat stabilized. I have seen asking prices going up. Now this could be some attempted dealer manipulation or increased confidence. But, I don't go off moda. If you go by moda then ignore everything I say.

I'm still waiting for anyone who talks about moda to post a picture of the actual listing. As I said, we have had maybe 4-5 actual posts of listings from Moda and they were busted watches.
Old 8 February 2023, 06:44 AM   #3162
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You and 2-3 other followers you have are the only people who think it's the bellwether for the market. No one else believes that. None of the major dealers who actually do transactions in the tens of millions do not believe that.
Old 8 February 2023, 07:02 AM   #3163
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

BTFD! Or BTFKD
Old 8 February 2023, 07:11 AM   #3164
psm11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post
You and 2-3 other followers you have are the only people who think it's the bellwether for the market. No one else believes that. None of the major dealers who actually do transactions in the tens of millions do not believe that.
This forum is obviously geared toward those of us who think Moda is a good indicator of the market.

If you don't think that, that is your prerogative. I am always happy to hear all side but if this thread eats at you and members that are too afraid to post then why bother with it (note that I do appreciate your perspective on all this)?

We are all adults and can make our own decisions about the watch market. Referring to posters in this thread as some kind of gang out to silence folks who disagree is unfair and out of line.
Old 8 February 2023, 08:39 AM   #3165
whiterabbit66
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO,
Quote:

Got to agree with this. I have seen a few AP's etc sell on this site recently and other places for way more than talked about on here. Double in some cases. Just because one item sells between people on Moda does not make the market: just like a single car at auction is no reflection of retail prices: its an anomaly and generally because of a flaw in the item itself that makes it not suitable for retailing. Clearly the market is lower than a few months ago but the professional grays know the market way better than all of us and I would opine the prices in the "for sale" sections of this site are what is 99% of the market plus/minus 5%.
Old 8 February 2023, 09:00 AM   #3166
psm11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit66 View Post
Got to agree with this. I have seen a few AP's etc sell on this site recently and other places for way more than talked about on here. Double in some cases. Just because one item sells between people on Moda does not make the market: just like a single car at auction is no reflection of retail prices: its an anomaly and generally because of a flaw in the item itself that makes it not suitable for retailing. Clearly the market is lower than a few months ago but the professional grays know the market way better than all of us and I would opine the prices in the "for sale" sections of this site are what is 99% of the market plus/minus 5%.
Thanks for the info.

However, it isn't just one item on Moda.

Multiple ROs are selling on there within the ranges we have discussed here.

I find it hard to believe anyone is paying $60k for a stainless 15500 or 15510
Old 8 February 2023, 10:02 AM   #3167
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

Anyone noticed same watches being posted by different dealers on MODA within a span of afew days to a week’s time? Saw a 116508 Paul Newman dial being posted 6 days apart. Exact same watch can be identified from the date of its warranty card and the after market stickers on the watch itself.
Previously posted for 46.5k and sold within 1hr 25min. Currently posted with a 46.8k asking. If the watch market is really going back up like what many of the dealers have been trying to portray, then the asking price should be much higher since the previous same watch sold in less than 2 hours LOL.
Old 8 February 2023, 10:07 AM   #3168
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn't say you were responding from multiple accounts. I said people who have messaged me privately think you are. Read properly. The same people are refuting what I say, not different people. Instead of denying how multiple people have privately messaged me thanking me for my contribution. Instead you should ask yourself why you and your gang have made people so uncomfortable that they don't want to message in this forum.

Proof of what? Has the market crashed? Of course. Is it still crashing? What evidence is there? Which dealer said the market had stabilized 6 months ago? I watch most of their videos. I haven't seen claims like that. Majority I have seen said it was catching a falling knife to buy any time in the last 6 months. I do believe now though it has somewhat stabilized. I have seen asking prices going up. Now this could be some attempted dealer manipulation or increased confidence. But, I don't go off moda. If you go by moda then ignore everything I say.

I'm still waiting for anyone who talks about moda to post a picture of the actual listing. As I said, we have had maybe 4-5 actual posts of listings from Moda and they were busted watches.
Haha chill out man. You think I am wrong and I think that you’re wrong. We won’t see eye to eye. Move on and be happier in life instead of getting emotional over what strangers are posting online
Old 8 February 2023, 10:21 AM   #3169
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha chill out man. You think I am wrong and I think that you’re wrong. We won’t see eye to eye. Move on and be happier in life instead of getting emotional over what strangers are posting online
Yeah guys just chill man. If you believe a watch is worth 60k and you are interested in owning it, then just buy at that price point. If not, let’s just move on and respect each others view point.
So far for myself, I’m convinced because my local watch market prices(actual pieces displayed in brick and mortar shops) follows MODA’s price movements closely, albeit with a time lag.
I agree that there is a price increase but I attribute this to the decrease in USD value vs many Asian currencies. After the conversion, they are actually more or less the same. Of course dealers are using this to make the watch market look like it’s going up.
Peace out.
Old 8 February 2023, 12:06 PM   #3170
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematoxic View Post
Yeah guys just chill man. If you believe a watch is worth 60k and you are interested in owning it, then just buy at that price point. If not, let’s just move on and respect each others view point.
So far for myself, I’m convinced because my local watch market prices(actual pieces displayed in brick and mortar shops) follows MODA’s price movements closely, albeit with a time lag.
I agree that there is a price increase but I attribute this to the decrease in USD value vs many Asian currencies. After the conversion, they are actually more or less the same. Of course dealers are using this to make the watch market look like it’s going up.
Peace out.

I like because I have a view contrary than you guys it's "chill out" . I'm perfectly chill. Maybe you guys need to chill with this moda obsession.
Old 8 February 2023, 12:06 PM   #3171
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually, the $33k on LoupeThis is the all in price. Click on bid history and you’ll see that the 33k includes the 10% premium.
You're correct, learned something new.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
Old 8 February 2023, 12:07 PM   #3172
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

However, it isn't just one item on Moda.

Multiple ROs are selling on there within the ranges we have discussed here.

I find it hard to believe anyone is paying $60k for a stainless 15500 or 15510
No reputable grey has a 15500 at 60k anymore. They are in the high 30s. Again so far the only moda listings that were posted here were all busted. If someone starts posting actual excellent condition fully complete moda listings I will then say finally someone is posting actual evidence.
Old 8 February 2023, 12:31 PM   #3173
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No reputable grey has a 15500 at 60k anymore. They are in the high 30s. Again so far the only moda listings that were posted here were all busted. If someone starts posting actual excellent condition fully complete moda listings I will then say finally someone is posting actual evidence.
False. Stickered fullset 15500s on Moda :)

Here is one of many: https://ibb.co/kGZRsy5

Pipe down with the baseless claims.
Old 8 February 2023, 01:00 PM   #3174
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
False. Stickered fullset 15500s on Moda :)

Here is one of many: https://ibb.co/kGZRsy5

Pipe down with the baseless claims.
Ok almost 36k for a white dial (the least desirable one). Weren't you guys posting these were selling in the low 30s and saying they were going to the high 20s like 2 pages ago?
Old 8 February 2023, 01:16 PM   #3175
psm11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok almost 36k for a white dial (the least desirable one). Weren't you guys posting these were selling in the low 30s and saying they were going to the high 20s like 2 pages ago?
Pretty sure this one is still sitting unsold and likely won’t move without a price cut.

I believe what was said was that we think they’ll settle in the 20s. With AP price increases wouldn’t this watch only be like 5-6k over retail when you factor taxes in? Not a huge premium.
Old 8 February 2023, 04:49 PM   #3176
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like because I have a view contrary than you guys it's "chill out" . I'm perfectly chill. Maybe you guys need to chill with this moda obsession.
Your view isn’t wrong mate. There are multiple pieces having higher asking price. Definitely agree as I have seen them myself. What I point to is that there is a place named MODA where people can get it at a lower price point that’s all..

Peace.
Old 8 February 2023, 07:59 PM   #3177
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
MODA watches.....

It’s regarding older 5 digit models that have aftermarket crystals or bezel inserts. Not modern watches. Moda is by far the place to find the best prices. Due diligence is key just like it is anywhere else on the internet.
Old 9 February 2023, 12:57 AM   #3178
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
It’s regarding older 5 digit models that have aftermarket crystals or bezel inserts. Not modern watches. Moda is by far the place to find the best prices. Due diligence is key just like it is anywhere else on the internet.

What sort of due diligence would reveal dealers selling watches swapped and repaired with aftermarket parts before a purchase?

I’m sure those interested in getting these great deals would appreciate some tips. Blaming the victim, when a marketplace is full of dishonesty, doesn’t seem all that helpful.
Old 9 February 2023, 02:39 AM   #3179
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

Prices are actually going up, I sold two of the watches I had for sale (I am a collector not a dealer) for close to asking.
Old 9 February 2023, 03:45 AM   #3180
psm11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
What sort of due diligence would reveal dealers selling watches swapped and repaired with aftermarket parts before a purchase?

I’m sure those interested in getting these great deals would appreciate some tips. Blaming the victim, when a marketplace is full of dishonesty, doesn’t seem all that helpful.
Buy the seller — meaning buy from a seller that is highly vetted (do ref check) and that has ton a ton of deals on there. If there is any issues that seller will take care of it.
Closed Thread