The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Old 7 December 2022, 04:57 AM   #1
sgrg
"TRF" Member

New to Rolex...new to luxury watches

Hi all,

Just a quick hello and intro to my foray into the luxury watch world.

I wasn't into luxury watches or watches in general for that matter at all until this year. Not to say I wasn't aware of Rolex, I was and kinda thought I would get one one day perhaps later on in my life. So Apple Watch was doing the job until now.

The first biggest "getting used" to was you can't just walk in and buy the watch that is on display. To me, that just made no commercial sense for a shop. It still quite doesn't make sense but after having made friends with the local AD I kinda get why that is the case...still.

So off I started to build my purchase history to obtain a Rolex at some point. After much discussion with the AD they pushed Tudor as my first "luxury" watch but it just didn't appeal to me at all. After some research on my own, I came across the Omega Speedmaster which appealed to me. So booked some time to understand the watch and some of the other variations. After sleeping on it I decided to go with the Speedmaster Moonwatch pro steel on leather strap. I just liked it with the leather strap better rather than the steel strap.
Omega.jpeg

I was content with my purchase and happy in the knowledge that I was one step closer to having the opportunity to buy a Rolex in maybe 2/3 years...I told them I want to be on the list for GMT II and Daytona after all.

Anyway fast forward a couple of months, and the local AD gave me a call unexpectedly saying they have a TT SD 43MM available if I want to have a look. At first, I wasn't very keen after a quick googling of the 126603 but I decided to go see them anyway just because of the excitement of potentially buying a Rolex.

I walked in with my wife, who by the way was supposed to play hard to please other half, that was the game plan anyway more on that later. So by now the AD have become quite friendly as I have made a few other purchases through them so wasted about 30 minutes just chatting away and the wife looking at more jewellery. So finally we get down to business, they bring out the TT SD 43MM and I was genuinely surprised at how nice it looked in the flesh. Black and gold went well in my eyes. I tried it on and it felt nice...you can feel the weight and "presence" of the watch. I wasn't quite sold yet as my general style is more subtle instead of bling. Luckily at this point, I also clocked a submariner they had on display so I asked them to bring that out as well so I could make up my mind. I did like the sub, especially for half the price of TT SD but it wasn't available for sale.

So I started discussing with my wife hoping that she would put some sense into me but she loved the TT SD "if you are going to buy a Rolex you might as well get a statement piece and you deserve it". With the game plan completely out of the window, I went home with my first Rolex over the weekend.

Now at this point in my excitement, I hadn't even given a thought to the overall size of the watch which was a bit silly or "how popular of a model it is" just in case I have to sell it in the future...I am still new to this. I was away overnight yesterday and to kill sometime in the evening I decided to do "post-purchase" research on the watch...yes bit backwards. The good thing was I came across this forum, the bad thing I came across was "size matters" and TT SD is a bit of a marmite it seems. It was killing me last night that I couldn't simply put the watch on and see if it looks bulky or if I liked the two-tone option still. I was getting a bit anxious at this point thinking maybe I made an expensive mistake but I eased my thoughts saying I am still within the return window should it come to that.

Anyway, I finally reached home a couple of hours ago and got the watch out right away, thank god I still love it. I measured my wrist next which is 6 inches. I had read that to wear the SD 43MM you need a 7-inch wrist minimum and preferably a flat wrist. No idea what a flat wrist is, need to google that but upon trying it out again and it feels absolutely fine to me. Doesn't feel bulky or big, it wears just fine on my wrist in my view. Phew, I was finally able to relax knowing that I will be keeping it.

Now that I am keeping my watch the real challenge is when will I even wear it. With all the news you hear about people getting mugged, and watches being stolen in broad daylight from your wrist perhaps the days of being able to enjoy the fruits of your hard work as openly are coming to an end? For now, I am just happy wearing it at home.
Rolex.jpeg

That's all folks.

Stay safe and good night.
sgrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 05:55 AM   #2
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 11:12 AM   #3
Allanmodel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still Looking....!
Welcome~~
Allanmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 09:13 PM   #4
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 01:36 AM   #5
timepieceofmind
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: UN El Toro
That’s awesome! Great story. Enjoy that watch!

timepieceofmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 11:58 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2022, 12:42 AM   #7
sgrg
"TRF" Member

Thank you ��
Old 9 January 2023, 03:51 PM   #8
mrvblnc
"TRF" Member

Hey there :)
mrvblnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2023, 07:18 AM   #9
John Ryan
"TRF" Member

The SD looks great on you
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2023, 04:54 AM   #10
wrussell46
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan View Post
Agreed!

Great story and awesome purchase...someday I too will have my very own Rolex. That one is a beaut.
wrussell46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2023, 12:42 PM   #11
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Welcome. Nice Legos too :)
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2023, 01:37 PM   #12
Dezorra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750 GMT “Pepsi”
I bought the exact same watch in 2020, but sold it less than a year later to a real estate developer friend who bought it off my wrist (for $2000 more than I paid!) because he just loved the way it looked on me, and said he had to have it.

But I’m a 6’2, 250 pound Latino man and he’s a 5’5, 140 pound old Vietnamese man and it looks way too big on him (though I think oversized and flashy was exactly what he was going for lol.)

Anyway I miss the watch and plan to get another; out of 5 Rolexes it’s the only one my lady said looked “sexy” and “suited me.” All this to say; you have good luck getting one offered by an AD, and even better taste. Congrats.

(Nice Omega too; I prefer Rolex overall but I would choose a Speedy over a tiny Daytona.)
Dezorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2023, 09:45 AM   #13
Blau3er
"TRF" Member

Welcome, lovely watches!
Blau3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 01:29 PM   #14
timepieceofmind
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: UN El Toro
Welcome!

timepieceofmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 02:09 AM   #15
jgrae
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrg View Post
Hi all,

Just a quick hello and intro to my foray into the luxury watch world.

I wasn't into luxury watches or watches in general for that matter at all until this year. Not to say I wasn't aware of Rolex, I was and kinda thought I would get one one day perhaps later on in my life. So Apple Watch was doing the job until now.

The first biggest "getting used" to was you can't just walk in and buy the watch that is on display. To me, that just made no commercial sense for a shop. It still quite doesn't make sense but after having made friends with the local AD I kinda get why that is the case...still.

So off I started to build my purchase history to obtain a Rolex at some point. After much discussion with the AD they pushed Tudor as my first "luxury" watch but it just didn't appeal to me at all. After some research on my own, I came across the Omega Speedmaster which appealed to me. So booked some time to understand the watch and some of the other variations. After sleeping on it I decided to go with the Speedmaster Moonwatch pro steel on leather strap. I just liked it with the leather strap better rather than the steel strap.
Attachment 1335728

I was content with my purchase and happy in the knowledge that I was one step closer to having the opportunity to buy a Rolex in maybe 2/3 years...I told them I want to be on the list for GMT II and Daytona after all.

Anyway fast forward a couple of months, and the local AD gave me a call unexpectedly saying they have a TT SD 43MM available if I want to have a look. At first, I wasn't very keen after a quick googling of the 126603 but I decided to go see them anyway just because of the excitement of potentially buying a Rolex.

I walked in with my wife, who by the way was supposed to play hard to please other half, that was the game plan anyway more on that later. So by now the AD have become quite friendly as I have made a few other purchases through them so wasted about 30 minutes just chatting away and the wife looking at more jewellery. So finally we get down to business, they bring out the TT SD 43MM and I was genuinely surprised at how nice it looked in the flesh. Black and gold went well in my eyes. I tried it on and it felt nice...you can feel the weight and "presence" of the watch. I wasn't quite sold yet as my general style is more subtle instead of bling. Luckily at this point, I also clocked a submariner they had on display so I asked them to bring that out as well so I could make up my mind. I did like the sub, especially for half the price of TT SD but it wasn't available for sale.

So I started discussing with my wife hoping that she would put some sense into me but she loved the TT SD "if you are going to buy a Rolex you might as well get a statement piece and you deserve it". With the game plan completely out of the window, I went home with my first Rolex over the weekend.

Now at this point in my excitement, I hadn't even given a thought to the overall size of the watch which was a bit silly or "how popular of a model it is" just in case I have to sell it in the future...I am still new to this. I was away overnight yesterday and to kill sometime in the evening I decided to do "post-purchase" research on the watch...yes bit backwards. The good thing was I came across this forum, the bad thing I came across was "size matters" and TT SD is a bit of a marmite it seems. It was killing me last night that I couldn't simply put the watch on and see if it looks bulky or if I liked the two-tone option still. I was getting a bit anxious at this point thinking maybe I made an expensive mistake but I eased my thoughts saying I am still within the return window should it come to that.

Anyway, I finally reached home a couple of hours ago and got the watch out right away, thank god I still love it. I measured my wrist next which is 6 inches. I had read that to wear the SD 43MM you need a 7-inch wrist minimum and preferably a flat wrist. No idea what a flat wrist is, need to google that but upon trying it out again and it feels absolutely fine to me. Doesn't feel bulky or big, it wears just fine on my wrist in my view. Phew, I was finally able to relax knowing that I will be keeping it.

Now that I am keeping my watch the real challenge is when will I even wear it. With all the news you hear about people getting mugged, and watches being stolen in broad daylight from your wrist perhaps the days of being able to enjoy the fruits of your hard work as openly are coming to an end? For now, I am just happy wearing it at home.
Attachment 1335727

That's all folks.

Stay safe and good night.
First of all welcome.

Second of all, congrats! I love the look of the TTSD.

Size is a matter of personal preference both in terms of looks and how the watch feels on your wrist. Some collectors favor feather-light models like Richard Mille and titanium FP Journe, I personally want to feel like I'm wearing a watch. I would think most criticisms of the size would be referring to the thickness rather than case size (diameter). The new subs are 41mm, 43 isn't *that* different. Moonwatch looks perfect at 42mm. Some may prefer the mass and thickness of the SD but in any case that's the price you pay to get a watch that out performs.

I've always been more comfortable with larger watches. My wrist isn't particularly big (7in or so) but my frame is so larger watches always made sense to me. My initial criteria when I started buying real watches was 44mm, them moved down to 42mm, I bought a 47mm Panerai which I'm wearing now -- yes it looks big, but that's the point. I recently got a vintage rolex oysterquartz (37mm) and I can even get used to that. Don't fret over sizing, they're just numbers. If you like it, rock it.
jgrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 06:09 AM   #16
sgrg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan View Post
Thank you
Old 27 January 2023, 06:11 AM   #17
sgrg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrussell46 View Post
Agreed!

Great story and awesome purchase...someday I too will have my very own Rolex. That one is a beaut.
Thank you

All the best on your quest, no doubt you will get there soon.
Old 27 January 2023, 06:12 AM   #18
sgrg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss516 View Post
Welcome. Nice Legos too :)
Thank you. Keeping my son’s Lego safe from himself :)
Old 27 January 2023, 06:13 AM   #19
sgrg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezorra View Post
I bought the exact same watch in 2020, but sold it less than a year later to a real estate developer friend who bought it off my wrist (for $2000 more than I paid!) because he just loved the way it looked on me, and said he had to have it.

But I’m a 6’2, 250 pound Latino man and he’s a 5’5, 140 pound old Vietnamese man and it looks way too big on him (though I think oversized and flashy was exactly what he was going for lol.)

Anyway I miss the watch and plan to get another; out of 5 Rolexes it’s the only one my lady said looked “sexy” and “suited me.” All this to say; you have good luck getting one offered by an AD, and even better taste. Congrats.

(Nice Omega too; I prefer Rolex overall but I would choose a Speedy over a tiny Daytona.)
Clearly our ladies know what’s up. Hope you manage to get one this year.
Old 27 January 2023, 06:15 AM   #20
sgrg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezorra View Post

Clearly our ladies know what’s up in the watch game :)
Hope you will manage to get one back this year.
Old 28 January 2023, 09:31 AM   #21
LuthorCorp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2004 GMT Master II
Welcome and happy continued growth on your collection.
LuthorCorp is offline   Reply With Quote