The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 January 2023, 05:00 AM   #1
jrobart
"TRF" Member

ALS Owners Buying Glaashutte

So I have a question for my fellow ALS owners...

I have an 1815 Up Down in WG that I love. I've been thinking about buying a Lange 1 Moon Phase to add to the collection. Having said that, I walked into a Glashutte AD in San Francisco earlier this week and tried on a Glashutte PanoMaticLunar. It's not a Lange (precision to detail, weight, the beauty of the "moon" etc, but it is a beautiful piece.

Question, have any of you owned a Lange and then purchased a Glashutte afterwards? If so, any regrets that you didn't bite the bullet and spend the extra money for the Lange?

I know, first world problems...
jrobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2023, 11:15 AM   #2
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobart View Post
So I have a question for my fellow ALS owners...

I have an 1815 Up Down in WG that I love. I've been thinking about buying a Lange 1 Moon Phase to add to the collection. Having said that, I walked into a Glashutte AD in San Francisco earlier this week and tried on a Glashutte PanoMaticLunar. It's not a Lange (precision to detail, weight, the beauty of the "moon" etc, but it is a beautiful piece.

Question, have any of you owned a Lange and then purchased a Glashutte afterwards? If so, any regrets that you didn't bite the bullet and spend the extra money for the Lange?

I know, first world problems...

I went the other direction. PML to Lange.
gliazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2023, 12:38 PM   #3
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
A Lange 1 is something ive lusted after for some time but could never personally justify because my PML does such an incredible job filling that hole. If money is no object get the lange. If it is get the PML and 2-3 other amazing watches for the same price. In my biased opinion.
Old 12 January 2023, 03:13 PM   #4
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

I think price doesn't matter. If I like a watch, I tend to buy it.
I have multiple ALS, but this GO caught my attention, so I bought it.

Old 12 January 2023, 10:14 PM   #5
ILoveFerrari
"TRF" Member

We get what we pay for. Notwithstanding the histories of these two brands interwinded, the general difference is easily noted.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
ILoveFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 12:22 AM   #6
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPFANBOY View Post

That is such an amazing watch. I've been wanting to try one on to see the size difference between it and the regular PML but my local ADs never have anything in stock and I feel like I'm bothering them when I ask if they can notify me if they get something in (which they in turn never do - great sales people!).
Old 13 January 2023, 12:35 AM   #7
jrobart
"TRF" Member

Yeah, its funny, if I didn't have the Lange already I don't think I would hesitate to buy the Pano as my first watch from the Glashute region. The challenge now is that I see the differences between the two watches and fear that I would always see them when I looked at the GO.

A $30k difference in price though is hard to ignore.
Old 13 January 2023, 02:21 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPFANBOY View Post
Bravo!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 02:50 AM   #9
Loujo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, its funny, if I didn't have the Lange already I don't think I would hesitate to buy the Pano as my first watch from the Glashute region. The challenge now is that I see the differences between the two watches and fear that I would always see them when I looked at the GO.

A $30k difference in price though is hard to ignore.
I had a Lange 1 Stealth (non-moonphase, platinum case), and GO Panograph in the past. They are definitely not in the same league, but the price reflects that as well. As long as you know what you are getting then it is fine. It looks like you are not thinking "I am getting a Lange 1 equivalent at a much cheaper price by going with GO".
Loujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 03:48 AM   #10
jrobart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loujo View Post
I had a Lange 1 Stealth (non-moonphase, platinum case), and GO Panograph in the past. They are definitely not in the same league, but the price reflects that as well. As long as you know what you are getting then it is fine. It looks like you are not thinking "I am getting a Lange 1 equivalent at a much cheaper price by going with GO".
You're right.

Aesthetically the Lange 1 Moonphase and the GO PanoLunar are similar, but as you point out, they are not in the same league. I think I've answered my own question -- with the able assistance of this group -- that I really want another Lange and even with the significant $ savings, I'll always see that I was settling for the GO. No if I was looking at a GO that didn't have a natural Lange equivalent, I would think otherwise, but the head to head comparison is so clear.
Old 13 January 2023, 04:20 AM   #11
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're right.

Aesthetically the Lange 1 Moonphase and the GO PanoLunar are similar, but as you point out, they are not in the same league. I think I've answered my own question -- with the able assistance of this group -- that I really want another Lange and even with the significant $ savings, I'll always see that I was settling for the GO. No if I was looking at a GO that didn't have a natural Lange equivalent, I would think otherwise, but the head to head comparison is so clear.

Many watches later I learned to never settle for a second choice watch just to save money. Every time I’ve always ended up selling a watch I settled for and (much, much later) ended up buying my first choice. This is an expensive hobby.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 06:30 AM   #12
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I have a Saxonia Moonphase. My hope is to get either a GL1 or Time Zone.

I bought the GO Seventies Chronograph Panorama Date because it is far different than the models that ALS makes, or for that matter, any other high-end manufacturer makes. So that is why I jumped to GO on the follow-up purchase.

I'm not sure I would buy a Panomatic Lunar since I have the Saxonia, but beyond that, I think I would consider purchasing the SeaQ or PanoInverse as they too are different than what ALS offers.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 11:06 AM   #13
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're right.

It’s hard to go against your heart. Made that mistake once and not doing again.
Old 13 January 2023, 11:09 AM   #14
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
Many watches later I learned to never settle for a second choice watch just to save money. Every time I’ve always ended up selling a watch I settled for and (much, much later) ended up buying my first choice. This is an expensive hobby.

This is 100% correct. In the end probably not a savings of money.
Old 14 January 2023, 11:45 AM   #15
jrobart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliazzurri View Post
This is 100% correct. In the end probably not a savings of money.
Excellent point. I buy the GO and need to buy my wife some jewelry so I don't look like I'm just spending more money on a silly watch. Sell the GO, but obviously can't sell the jewelry. Buy the Lange, buy more jewelry...

I've think we've just justified the extra $30k!
Old 14 January 2023, 03:36 PM   #16
AG23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Excellent point. I buy the GO and need to buy my wife some jewelry so I don't look like I'm just spending more money on a silly watch. Sell the GO, but obviously can't sell the jewelry. Buy the Lange, buy more jewelry...

I've think we've just justified the extra $30k!
Can’t fault this logic!

I look forward to the incoming
AG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 01:24 AM   #17
amateurcollector
"TRF" Member

Preowned Lange 1 is one of the best deals in all of watches. Also Lange service refinishes the watch where any scratches are filled in with gold, making the piece feel new again.
amateurcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 10:48 AM   #18
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I went the other way too. I owned 3 GOs and then sold 2. Still have one I wear on occasion.
Now I have 4 Lange s
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 11:35 AM   #19
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurcollector View Post
Preowned Lange 1 is one of the best deals in all of watches. Also Lange service refinishes the watch where any scratches are filled in with gold, making the piece feel new again.
100% spot on.

OP - I like a lot of GO designs, but their watches are definitely on the larger size compared to their Lange peers. Compare the Lange 1 dimensions vs the GO Panoreserve.
Old 17 January 2023, 03:09 AM   #20
justcruisin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnd08 View Post
100% spot on.

OP - I like a lot of GO designs, but their watches are definitely on the larger size compared to their Lange peers. Compare the Lange 1 dimensions vs the GO Panoreserve.
This is exactly what sold me on the Lange 1 when I was looking for a cheaper alternative for an asymmetrical dial - ALS can pack complications in a small package :). I would actually love a SeaQ if they could make it in the smaller size with display case back and pano date like they have on the larger version.

Don’t settle. Glad I didn’t.
justcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 01:02 PM   #21
jrobart
"TRF" Member

I'm going to be in Boston later this week and need to go into the ALS boutique to pick up a strap that they ordered for me for my 1815 UD. Will try on the Lange 1 (and hopefully the moon phase) while I'm there. Then will need to decide on new or pre owned.

I really think that the L1 Moonphase would nearly complete the collection (SS Sub 16610, YG Day Date 18238 (incoming), the 1815 UD, and a vintage Patek ref 2533). Only thing not in the stable then would be a nice Chrono. Absolutely love the Patel 5170G.
Old 18 January 2023, 01:09 PM   #22
justcruisin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm going to be in Boston later this week and need to go into the ALS boutique to pick up a strap that they ordered for me for my 1815 UD. Will try on the Lange 1 (and hopefully the moon phase) while I'm there. Then will need to decide on new or pre owned.

I really think that the L1 Moonphase would nearly complete the collection (SS Sub 16610, YG Day Date 18238 (incoming), the 1815 UD, and a vintage Patek ref 2533). Only thing not in the stable then would be a nice Chrono. Absolutely love the Patel 5170G.
European Watch Co. Is nearby. Might want to check what they have in stock to try on.
justcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 01:11 PM   #23
calebb90
Banned

ALS Owners Buying Glaashutte

Quote:

1815 chrono or VC cornes de vache > 5170

Going preowned you can prob get both Lange 1 and VC cornes de vache for the price of a 5170.
calebb90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 11:21 AM   #24
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruisin View Post
European Watch Co. Is nearby. Might want to check what they have in stock to try on.
An aside: Lange strap prices recently increased to $420 USD.

In addition to Lange, consider visiting two places. Visit Shreve Crump & Low, which is literally across the street from Lange, to look at their preowned stuff. As you may know, SC&L was a Lange AD for years until December 2021. Talk to Christopher or Brian there, if one of them is in and you want to talk with someone who knows the brand really well.

And as Justcruisin said, visit EWC (3 blocks away from Lange & SC&L). You can't totally trust what's on EWC's website. Sometimes you'll see pieces on their site that are no longer available because they were just sold. Other times they'll have watches to show you in person that just arrived and haven't yet been placed into their online inventory, so be sure to ask them that.

When looking at preowned, also remember that Lange's moonphase disc on the newer (c.2017) models, with the day/night indicator, looks very different from the older models. They're both nice, though personally I like the older style moonphase because I like to see some stars on the dial even during the daytime.

CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 01:00 PM   #25
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Ima Rolex and Tudor owner so yeah all good
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 01:17 PM   #26
jrobart
"TRF" Member

Yeah, ALB, SC&L and EWC all within 3 blocks is a real plus. Heading in tomorrow. will report back.
Old 20 January 2023, 12:36 AM   #27
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Ima Rolex and Tudor owner so yeah all good
LOL what does this mean, since you've owned watches from many other manufacturers like Moser and Czapek? Or was this an accidental post to this thread? I wanna understand the context!

Quote:
Yeah, ALB, SC&L and EWC all within 3 blocks is a real plus. Heading in tomorrow. will report back.
There's more. The Rolex boutique (owned by Long's) literally shares a wall with the Lange boutique. They're adjacent. Also, the Richard Mille boutique is about 50 feet away, and the AP boutique is 1 block away, but you won't find watches at either of those. Also, Grand Seiko and TAG opened a boutique in that same area (in the Copley Place mall) but I haven't been there.
Old 20 January 2023, 01:05 AM   #28
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
LOL what does this mean, since you've owned watches from many other manufacturers like Moser and Czapek? Or was this an accidental post to this thread? I wanna understand the context!

There's more. The Rolex boutique (owned by Long's) literally shares a wall with the Lange boutique. They're adjacent. Also, the Richard Mille boutique is about 50 feet away, and the AP boutique is 1 block away, but you won't find watches at either of those. Also, Grand Seiko and TAG opened a boutique in that same area (in the Copley Place mall) but I haven't been there.
Just means that (Some) people think of GO as ALS light. Maybe they think the same of Tudor/Rolex. That’s all
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 01:17 AM   #29
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I had a Lange 1 (101.031) and then bought a GO Panomatic Lunar.

Zero regret, and TBH I liked the GO more.

Specifically, the date window was far better executed on the GO.

Yeah the Lange 1 was handfinished and the GO was not as nice on that end...but it wasn't a massive difference and the GO was a lot less used.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 03:16 AM   #30
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Just means that (Some) people think of GO as ALS light. Maybe they think the same of Tudor/Rolex. That’s all
Ahh got it! My brain is slow and literal.