The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 1 February 2023, 01:12 AM   #1
Thx67
"TRF" Member

IWC pilots chrono 41. Thoughts please

I know this is a Rolex forum but ive always found it hard to get owners perspectives on IWC watches. Maybe they dont sell in great numbers, maybe the owners keep themselves to themselves.

Just wondering if there are any owners of the new 41 here that would share their experiences. Worth a shot.

Thanks in advance
Thx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 01:24 AM   #2
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I don't own one but I tried one on at the AD not too long ago. I really liked it. The 41mm size is a big improvement to the wearability. The green dial was stunning. This was on strap so I can't comment on the bracelet version. On the strap it wore nice and balanced and was very comfortable. Legibility was excellent and I liked the touch of red they put on the 6 o'clock subdial. The only negative that I can come up with is it's a bit pricey and at 14.5mm it's a little thicker than I would like, but I have to say on the wrist I didn't notice it or feel like I was wearing a "thick watch." I do like the idea of getting a full chrono AND day AND date. That may explain why it needs to be a little thicker.

edit: One other negative, 100m water resistance. This is a pilots watch so that makes sense, but if WR is important to you keep the 10 bar in mind

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 01:31 AM   #3
GolfJunkie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
I’ve been thinking about this watch for over a year. I can’t decide if i like the blue or green dial more. I’ve been really close to buying one but there’s something keeping me from doing so. I think I’m leaning more towards an Omega 57 at this point (again, can’t decide if i like the blue or green dial more).
Old 1 February 2023, 01:32 AM   #4
Thx67
"TRF" Member

Im looking at that exact combo. I have a thing for blue dial so I have to keep away from blue as I tend to gravitate towards blue. Im wondering if that green might be a step too far though. Your photo is helpful as all the photos ive seen have been in sunlight to show off that green. Im still not sure about the IWC bracelets. I think it's one of the few watches that looks better on leather. Then I look at those links and the adjustable clasp and get tempted. They cost close to £1300 so it's a no go after the cost of the watch on leather.

Thanks for posting
Old 1 February 2023, 01:36 AM   #5
Thx67
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfJunkie View Post
I’ve been thinking about this watch for over a year. I can’t decide if i like the blue or green dial more. I’ve been really close to buying one but there’s something keeping me from doing so. I think I’m leaning more towards an Omega 57 at this point (again, can’t decide if i like the blue or green dial more).
Thats weird. Ive also been looking at the Omega 57 as well but theres something about the simplicity of the IWCs. I suspect the Omega would have better accuracy though. If I was going for the 57 I think the blue might win.
Old 1 February 2023, 01:39 AM   #6
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Chrono is the next purchase for me and I've considered this one or the Speedy 57 - both in green. I much prefer the more subtle green of the 57. The green of the IWC looks a bit cartoonish in certain lighting IMO.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 01:41 AM   #7
Drand
2024 Pledge Member

Don't own it though but if I'm to go for the 57, it'll definitely be the blue. It looks better to me.
Drand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 01:50 AM   #8
Xyza0722
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me go
I have the blue dial and all 3 bracelets. Metal, rubber and leather. (Pic of the rubber when i bought it)

I will say the metal bracelet is a work of art on the easy adjustments you can make to it to a perfect fit.
The clear case back is another plus.

And the attachment of any of the bracelets/straps take 5 seconds with no tools.

Love the watch
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 64032748-AEBE-43F6-8AF8-AD25873C4CED.jpeg (192.0 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpeg 4EB688DA-E55B-4CCC-9013-5D85C6581E5B.jpeg (177.5 KB, 417 views)
Xyza0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 02:05 AM   #9
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx67 View Post
Im looking at that exact combo. I have a thing for blue dial so I have to keep away from blue as I tend to gravitate towards blue. Im wondering if that green might be a step too far though. Your photo is helpful as all the photos ive seen have been in sunlight to show off that green. Im still not sure about the IWC bracelets. I think it's one of the few watches that looks better on leather. Then I look at those links and the adjustable clasp and get tempted. They cost close to £1300 so it's a no go after the cost of the watch on leather.

Thanks for posting
You're welcome. The green was really great looking. Go check one out in person. If you are looking for a green watch it's one of the best ones I've seen. I like the '57 as well, but that is more of an olive green, while this is more of a true green. I prefer the IWC green and I like that you get the day of the week rather than simply the date that the '57 provides. The '57 is also only 5 bar (basically splash resistant) and I think 100m is just the lowest I'm willing to go. I got rid of a moonwatch and that was one of the reasons.
Old 1 February 2023, 02:23 AM   #10
-dustin

substantial improvement over the 3777 in every way. my opinion - they've done really well with both these and the XX.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 02:27 AM   #11
john333

I think the watch needs to be seen in person to truly appreciate it…comes across kinda “meh” in pictures but is very impressive in person. The bracelet is top quality, although not my favorite visually. The rubber straps are supremely comfortable and the quick change strap system is excellent.

I have the petronas F1 version which is titanium…so I can hardly feel it when on my wrist on the rubber strap. I know many people don’t care for the teal green color, but I love it. I also love the matte grey of the titanium case.

As far as comparisons to accuracy of an Omega…there is no comparison. Omega’s accuracy is top notch (arguably better than Rolex). IWC timepieces seem to always run fast…4-5 seconds per day or worse on 7 day movements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
john333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 02:44 AM   #12
RCC watches
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, OP41, AP ROO
I have the 44mm Woodland version that came out last year and it’s great. I love how legible the dial/hands are. It makes the dial/hands on my DSSD seem dainty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8F61D8E6-FB0F-4F19-8D45-7EDA35B0AABE.jpeg (233.0 KB, 382 views)
RCC watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 02:49 AM   #13
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Wonderful watch. Had a great AD experience when last visited. But in general too big for me. I like that there's a strong connection between them and the Mercedes-Benz formula one team. I think if you are into pilot watches the IWC should be in your radar.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 02:52 AM   #14
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
yes, 41 is a perfect size for the IWC Chrono

go for it
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 02:52 AM   #15
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by john333 View Post
I think the watch needs to be seen in person to truly appreciate it…comes across kinda “meh” in pictures but is very impressive in person. The bracelet is top quality, although not my favorite visually. The rubber straps are supremely comfortable and the quick change strap system is excellent.

I have the petronas F1 version which is titanium…so I can hardly feel it when on my wrist on the rubber strap. I know many people don’t care for the teal green color, but I love it. I also love the matte grey of the titanium case.

As far as comparisons to accuracy of an Omega…there is no comparison. Omega’s accuracy is top notch (arguably better than Rolex). IWC timepieces seem to always run fast…4-5 seconds per day or worse on 7 day movements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes sir! same here but i get mostly compliments from others with it being special
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 02:54 AM   #16
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Never owned an IWC, but some of their simpler models have always appealed to me.
Old 1 February 2023, 04:41 AM   #17
Yadi_Collector
"TRF" Member

Was eyeing one in green the other day.
I'd say the only drawback is the bezel is prone to getting dinged.
Yadi_Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 04:47 AM   #18
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Here are my thoughts.... I have admired the 41 in my ADs case for quite some time. My AD didn't have the dial color that I wanted in stock, so he ordered it for me (big mistake). It came in and I went to pick it up and I honestly told him that I have never been so underwhelmed before with a new watch.

They always look better in person than in the catalog or website. Not the case with this one. As other have pointed out, it's a bit thick. Mine had the leather strap and I found it to be top heavy and I didn't like the tang clasp. The strap was also a bit thin considering the thickness of the watch case. Never again will I buy a high-end piece that doesn't come with a folding clasp.

Unfortunately, as a special order, it was mine. The SA didn't seem to be impacted by my underwhelmed comment to just stick it in the case. Ended up flipping it at a loss a few days later. Fortunately, I got 25% off MSRP, but still ended up taking a hit on this one.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 04:56 AM   #19
GrantD
"TRF" Member

IWC pilots chrono 41. Thoughts please

IWC, in my opinion are a fantastic watch and company, they are great supporters of the military with their own military liaison. They made a huge contribution to my squadrons special commission.

Without doubt my next watch will also be an IWC, unless the Starbucks comes in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GrantD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 08:10 AM   #20
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfJunkie View Post
Me too. I have come so close to ordering one of these. I really like it.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 07:49 PM   #21
RichieLussoTimepiece
Banned

Highly recommend IWC. Love how they fit and look. Have that classy sporty casual look all at the same time. Even the bigger models don’t fit or look as big as some other bigger model brands out there. Not as clunky looking. Movements are great and their history is awesome. A lot is designed around keeping that original pocket watch look and feel just on your wrist.
RichieLussoTimepiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 08:28 PM   #22
shammad10
"TRF" Member

I love IWC, but wish they made some of their offerings at less than 41mm and 15mm thick. (I'm talking about something cool other than the Mark XX etc).

For example this Chronograph in a few different size options would be great. I can't help but feel they're limiting their market by only doing the interesting stuff in ceramic etc in the bigger sizes like 44mm.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 08:48 PM   #23
RichieLussoTimepiece
Banned

Well all of that plays back to history. Take portugieser for example. That model came about back in the day when portugiese business men wanted a watch that was bigger so they can see it better while they conducted business, hence the name but also why they keep that model larger. Same with the big pilot. Helps to be seen while flying.

I agree though having different sizes would be better for those not looking for a bigger watch but they do have cool models that are similar in design but smaller.
Old 1 February 2023, 09:03 PM   #24
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammad10 View Post
I love IWC, but wish they made some of their offerings at less than 41mm and 15mm thick. (I'm talking about something cool other than the Mark XX etc).

For example this Chronograph in a few different size options would be great. I can't help but feel they're limiting their market by only doing the interesting stuff in ceramic etc in the bigger sizes like 44mm.
For me the answer would always be ceramic OG 3705 or steel 3706. Better design for less compared to the current lineup and 39mm. Can't help with the thickness though.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 09:08 PM   #25
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I had a Spitfire with the in-house caliber for a brief time and I was impressed. It's nicer in person than photos indicate, and it operated really nicely. It was chunky, no doubt.

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 09:12 PM   #26
RichieLussoTimepiece
Banned

Those are nice. Are you more concerned of the diameter or the thickness? Because the portugiesers come in a 13mm thickness with the 41mm diameter. Not 15mm thickness. So a little slimmer.
Old 2 February 2023, 02:43 AM   #27
Thx67
"TRF" Member

Wow. Plenty of replies. Thanks very much to all who responded.

I pulled the trigger on the green in the end. As others have mentioned, it needs to be seen in the real world as quite often the dials look theyre covered in foil in photos. Presumably to highlight the greenness of the dial which is hard to do in normal light as the watch looks black in dim light.

My MK XX has a movement "quirk" that makes it hard to set and its p1$$ed me off a bit and I promised myself I wouldnt buy another one but I fancied a pilots chrono so its got to be an IWC. Not an every day wearer for me as it's such a whopper but it's going to bring a smile to my face when I take off the dreary black dial of the mk XX.

Thanks once again for the replies. One day ill learn how to post photos on this forum.
Old 29 March 2024, 11:04 PM   #28
Nello93
"TRF" Member

My thoughts

Own the blue Pilot Chrono 41 - have the bracelet/rubber/leather straps.
An impulse buy last summer. I have a large collection and 10 yrs in the hobby.
This thing gets MOST of my wrist time during the 3 days/week I'm not wearing a suit.
It's the perfect casual watch for weekends. I love this thing. After all these years, and precious metals and full calendar watches I'm having a "fling" with a young IWC!

Note a few things:

1) All 3 strap options are cool!
-but the leather makes it top heavy and the bracelet makes it wear HUGE

2) Dial is not on the same level as Glashutte Original, Grand Seiko, or modern Rolex. It's perfect in medium light though.

3) The movement is super accurate
-But they routinely throw these out the door needing a quick regulation. I got mine done within a week. C'mon IWC. Now running +1.5/day. Cool.

4) The movement is not worth looking at!
-Too bad the crystal back there cost it the anti-magnetic properties. Have to watch it near my airbuds.

5) With strap or rubber in blue it suits every casual occasion.
-You cannot wear this with a suit. Blazer and pants yes. The watch is ultra casual and chunky.

6) The cool giant sword hands cover the subdials. You wanna time something? You should have gotten a Speedmaster!

7) The date window in white looks cheap

Yes there are many reasons not to be having this fling but it's so friggin fun to wear. I don't care about all the shortcomings. At 41mm actually wearable for an oversized look.
Nello93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 12:38 AM   #29
Thx67
"TRF" Member

Completely forgot about this post until the recent reply.

So a year down the line and I moved it on. Lovely watch but I found the leather strap pulled the watch outwards on my wrist. Even tried mixing large and XL straps around ie large one side XL the other side etc and it still drifted.

Loved the dial and everything else about the watch but it wasnt particularly accurate which isnt a massive issue to me but I did notice it when I heard the pips on the radio. I hated the ease X though. It just didnt feel positive enough and it often meant bumping the strap against the case to lock it in place. I know I could have hunted down another strap but at this price I shouldn't be shopping around to replace the strap on a £6k watch. Ended up with a Zenith chrono which I cant fault in any way although an adjustable clasp would be the icing on the cake.
Old 30 March 2024, 12:50 AM   #30
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx67 View Post
Completely forgot about this post until the recent reply.

So a year down the line and I moved it on. Lovely watch but I found the leather strap pulled the watch outwards on my wrist. Even tried mixing large and XL straps around ie large one side XL the other side etc and it still drifted.

Loved the dial and everything else about the watch but it wasnt particularly accurate which isnt a massive issue to me but I did notice it when I heard the pips on the radio. I hated the ease X though. It just didnt feel positive enough and it often meant bumping the strap against the case to lock it in place. I know I could have hunted down another strap but at this price I shouldn't be shopping around to replace the strap on a £6k watch. Ended up with a Zenith chrono which I cant fault in any way although an adjustable clasp would be the icing on the cake.
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you longterm. Not long after I posted the green one above I purchased the blue model on bracelet.

I think it looks great on strap, like most pilot watches, but the bracelet completely changes the wearing experience. It doesn't move around or get top heavy like it sometimes does on leather. And it is flat out and incredible bracelet - maybe the best in the industry. The micro adjust in the clasp and easy strap change system are very cool and useful.

The watch isn't perfect but I still really enjoy it. Though I have to admit if I can find that new white Speedy preowned I might be swayed away from the IWC. I have a feeling that might take a while LOL