The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 3 February 2023, 02:46 AM   #1
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Swatch x Omega MoonSwatch

I know...I know...

I want to get one of these for my 14yr old nephew for his birthday early next month. When I showed him my Speedmaster Pro, he was super into it and started doing some research on the Speedy. Which made me a proud Uncle! haha. We've been talking about watches as of late and every now and then I send him wristshots of what I'm wearing and he always comments how much he likes the Speedy.

How the heck do I get my hands on one of these? I stopped by a Swatch store in the mall maybe a month ago and they don't even let you handle the display models!! It was worse than a Rolex AD. I'd love to pay retail for one of these things. I can't pay the inflated secondary market price.

Anyone have any advice for me? I'd prefer one of the more monochrome or muted colorways.
Old 3 February 2023, 02:59 AM   #2
ericl
"TRF" Member

I see you are in South Jersey - Garden State Plaza was getting these almost daily around 1 PM but they never get the grey, blue or black ones. (haven't been there in a few months since i only wanted those colors) Grand Central Terminal is very hit or miss but typically the Grey, black or blue aren't available there either. Unsure what King of Prussia would have or give you visibility on how often they get?
ericl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 03:04 AM   #3
tifosi
"TRF" Member

KOP is the only place I checked so far. I didn't know there was a store in Garden State Plaza.

KOP treated me like absolute crap. I didn't get anything out of them.
Old 3 February 2023, 03:29 AM   #4
psv
"TRF" Member

Swatch Group sold over 1M of these in less than a year.

You have to be there when a Swatch boutique takes delivery. Red, pink, yellow ones, etc are easier to get.

If you really want to make him happy just get a NIB used one - they are what? like $350?
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 03:38 AM   #5
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Swatch Group sold over 1M of these in less than a year.

You have to be there when a Swatch boutique takes delivery. Red, pink, yellow ones, etc are easier to get.

If you really want to make him happy just get a NIB used one - they are what? like $350?
Yes, $350 for the colored and upwards of $550 for the monochrome if you can find one. The green Earth one is pretty cool. There is also a taupe-ish one...I forget the planet though.
Old 3 February 2023, 08:57 PM   #6
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

The problem the staff have is that probably 90% of people walking into the stores since these were launched are still asking for the MoonSwatch and often they don’t have them. I’ve witnessed it myself, standing in a store for 15 minutes while picking a watch for someone.

I’ve found that if you are there when they open a few times you will be able to get something. Maybe not your choice as it seems the less popular variants show up more (I see yellow one a lot for example).

FWIW, I’ve also walked into a store on a random afternoon and they’ve have some of the more desirable ones.

The stores I’ve frequented are in the city, so perhaps supply is much higher.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 09:31 PM   #7
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
The problem the staff have is that probably 90% of people walking into the stores since these were launched are still asking for the MoonSwatch and often they don’t have them. I’ve witnessed it myself, standing in a store for 15 minutes while picking a watch for someone.

I’ve found that if you are there when they open a few times you will be able to get something. Maybe not your choice as it seems the less popular variants show up more (I see yellow one a lot for example).

FWIW, I’ve also walked into a store on a random afternoon and they’ve have some of the more desirable ones.

The stores I’ve frequented are in the city, so perhaps supply is much higher.
Thank you. Looks like I’ll have to plan a morning trip and see if I get lucky.
Old 3 February 2023, 09:43 PM   #8
raclaims
"TRF" Member

You’re a good uncle !! Good luck with the hunt I’m sure you’ll find it
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 03:21 AM   #9
llngoc
"TRF" Member

I got a Mercury and a Solar from my Singapore trip. And it seems like the San Francisco store is also getting regular shipments and they were nice enough to answer question of availability over the phone. Maybe you can call the stores close to you and drive really fast there. :-) My wife wants a Venus and we were 5 minutes late to the store.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 04:35 AM   #10
jw0n
"TRF" Member

I have Mercury and Moon. I can only say... keep trying.

Btw, I must say that they feel like cheap watches for the price you pay.

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 07:34 PM   #11
helloworldies
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Vacheron
I got one for my son but the CasiOak he wears feels miles better in comparison.
helloworldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 04:10 AM   #12
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworldies View Post
I got one for my son but the CasiOak he wears feels miles better in comparison.
I have yet to try on a MoonSwatch. But from what I’ve heard, I’ll gladly take my CasioOak over it. I’m in the camp of people, where its release got me interested in the real thing.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 06:22 AM   #13
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
I have only been lucky on Friday mornings and being the first one in the store. Generally they ask which one you are after. Hence, they wont tell you what they have, but only if there is a match
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 04:14 AM   #14
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
I know...I know...

I want to get one of these for my 14yr old nephew for his birthday early next month. When I showed him my Speedmaster Pro, he was super into it and started doing some research on the Speedy. Which made me a proud Uncle! haha. We've been talking about watches as of late and every now and then I send him wristshots of what I'm wearing and he always comments how much he likes the Speedy.

How the heck do I get my hands on one of these? I stopped by a Swatch store in the mall maybe a month ago and they don't even let you handle the display models!! It was worse than a Rolex AD. I'd love to pay retail for one of these things. I can't pay the inflated secondary market price.

Anyone have any advice for me? I'd prefer one of the more monochrome or muted colorways.

Did you ended up getting the Moonswatch for your nephew ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote