The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 February 2023, 01:37 AM   #1
tedo
"TRF" Member

I really need one of these I saw online … help!

Believe it’s 5513 with what’s called a Maxi dial, without the white gold surround indexes — am I correct?

This dial more desirable? Or don’t pay much attention to Maxi dials or meters and just look for original and optimal condition examples?

But this example I find really nice, hard to find in decent condition?

I do have concerns. Being told that to dive into vintage watches is truly satisfying, but you are crossing mine fields so it requires the advice of a reputable dealer — buy the seller/dealer first and then the watch.

Any recommendations on where to look?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7698A9F9-674B-4817-86C5-CC41B966E24A.jpeg (75.7 KB, 257 views)
Old 5 February 2023, 01:43 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Hard to find? Yes and no. Any vintage watch is somewhat hard to find in good condition, but 5513s are relatively common compared to many references. Good ones come up every week, and maxi dials aren't terribly rare overall. As for that particular watch, we will need more photos to help you. If you want the help of a dealer, there is a sticky thread with recommended sellers. Or you can study for yourself, this website is a starting point:
http://www.5513mattedial.com/About.html
Old 5 February 2023, 01:50 AM   #3
tedo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Hard to find? Yes and no. Any vintage watch is somewhat hard to find in good condition, but 5513s are relatively common compared to many references. Good ones come up every week, and maxi dials aren't terribly rare overall. As for that particular watch, we will need more photos to help you. If you want the help of a dealer, there is a sticky thread with recommended sellers. Or you can study for yourself, this website is a starting point:
http://www.5513mattedial.com/About.html
Thanks, was able to confirm it’s a 5513 from around 1979. Unfortunately this one is not for sale.
Old 5 February 2023, 01:55 AM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
Thanks, was able to confirm it’s a 5513 from around 1979. Unfortunately this one is not for sale.
Well, if you take a tour around the major sellers, I'm sure you will find a handful of 5513 Maxi dials for sale, so I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.

Here is that sticky thread that lists sellers: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=180461
Old 5 February 2023, 08:25 PM   #5
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Just to get acquainted with the watch - do a C24 search on Rolex 5513 or Rolex 5513 Maxi dial and then filter on the years it was made. You'll then get a feel for the look, patina, prices, crown, plexi, insert design, bracelet and if any good deals about in your territory from a quality dealer. C24 gets some stick here (partly rightly ref some dealers flying a kite...) but I have got some of my best stuff/cheaply (mainly from Italy) on there (especially pre-brexit).....and it's a great research site as you can forensically check many, many watches of a similar age/version in one place.
Come on, let's do it again....
DO YOU FEEL LIKE WE DO - Peter Frampton
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 10:02 PM   #6
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Just to get acquainted with the watch - do a C24 search on Rolex 5513 or Rolex 5513 Maxi dial and then filter on the years it was made. You'll then get a feel for the look, patina, prices, crown, plexi, insert design, bracelet and if any good deals about in your territory from a quality dealer. C24 gets some stick here (partly rightly ref some dealers flying a kite...) but I have got some of my best stuff/cheaply (mainly from Italy) on there (especially pre-brexit).....and it's a great research site as you can forensically check many, many watches of a similar age/version in one place.
This & in my opinion the maxi dial is one of the most attractive 5513 references.