The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 11 July 2019, 02:01 PM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Here is my theory,

I have owned two turtles over the last six months, one was the standard and the other a “save the Ocean” blue face. I had the black one, and it was awesome, but when I saw that blue dial... bought it on the spot at an AD. Absolutely love it!

Now, I have a Ben Bridge Winder, which I keep my Rolex on when I am wearing the Seiko. I have never had an issue, the DJ 41 keeps excellent time whether on my wrist or just being taken off the winder. HOWEVER, the Seiko has a major issue (Twice) with being put on the same winder! BOTH watches, after putting them on the winder (generally, over several weeks or months on and off of it) the timing became terrible. The first one I had serviced and then when I bought the new one, I noticed the exact same phenomenon, after spending time on the winder it would gradually get more and more inaccurate. I had to have both serviced and as long as I keep them off that winder, (i.e. let them run down and reset and re-wind) they remain accurate.

On to my theory, I submit the Seiko, does not have the same... “shielding? as a Rolex, and is more susceptible to the electro magnetic energy that a winder (or any electronic device really) puts out. I know this is an extremely small amount, and BB winders are not the equivalent of say, a Wolf, but the Rolex remains constant where my Seikos lose accuracy rather quickly if they spend any time on it. That’s the only reason I can deduce, the Rolex has a better anti-magnetic “shield”

Do you accept this hypotheses? Does it make sense?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2019, 02:01 PM   #2
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Almost forgot the required wrist shot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0DD9C6F1-F27B-40F8-ADDD-7E071B46C530.jpeg (156.2 KB, 196 views)
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2019, 02:14 PM   #3
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I submit an alternative hypothesis and that is that Rolex watches are meant to stay on winders while Seiko watches are to stay on our wrists
Old 11 July 2019, 03:24 PM   #4
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
I have 5 turtles and one samurai now. I turned into a bit of a Seiko addict this year. What I have noticed is on the wrist, they are very consistent. My worst one is +7 a day consistently. Once I take them off, set them down, put them in the case, they become pretty inaccurate. Left my Padi Pepsi on the desk the other day while I sized and wore my new Great White. The Pepsi gained 15 seconds in 6 hours sitting there.

Maybe they really do like to be worn, or Seiko has solved some magical mystery to regulate them based on being worn lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2019, 08:42 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Maybe. I have found that worn my Seiko watches keep good time. In the draw, not so much.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2019, 09:54 PM   #6
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Maybe. I have found that worn my Seiko watches keep good time. In the draw, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
I have 5 turtles and one samurai now. I turned into a bit of a Seiko addict this year. What I have noticed is on the wrist, they are very consistent. My worst one is +7 a day consistently. Once I take them off, set them down, put them in the case, they become pretty inaccurate. Left my Padi Pepsi on the desk the other day while I sized and wore my new Great White. The Pepsi gained 15 seconds in 6 hours sitting there.

Maybe they really do like to be worn, or Seiko has solved some magical mystery to regulate them based on being worn lol

Interesting. Same as these two for me.

Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2019, 11:17 PM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Here is my theory,

Paul, does your BB winder have an adjustable rotation count? That is, the rate at which it rotates clock wise and counter-clockwise.

Your seiko movement’s spring is perhaps longer than your Rolex and may require more rotations and maybe only auto winds in one direction.

As for magnetization, the weak EMI force from the small motor is not likely to be the issue or you’d see some wild variations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2019, 11:58 PM   #8
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Not sure about all seiko movements, but the 4r36’s I have vary in timekeeping. Depending on where it is in the power reserve and positioning. There’s an App called Lepsi that you can install on your iPhone and it will tell you if your watch is magnetized. Not sure if it works with any other type of smartphone though.
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2019, 12:08 AM   #9
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I never use a watch winder

I set the time and wear them. I find my Seikos as accurate as my higher cost watches, but I am not one to check them to the second.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2019, 01:39 AM   #10
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Interesting, I tried a couple of my Turtles on my single Wolf winder and they flatout didn’t work. My winder was a gift with Rolex purchase and to be honest I’ve never read the instructions to see if it’s adjustable.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2019, 01:43 AM   #11
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
According to this, the winder setting for turtles is clockwise, 650 turns per day
https://watch-winder.store/watch-winding-table/seiko/
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2019, 01:58 AM   #12
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
My experience counters your theory, though there are some variables so it’s not conclusive . I’ve got a mini turtle that keeps near perfect time on the winder, day after day. When I put it on my wrist, it’s +\- 3s/day. So, it keeps better time on the winder. However, that could be due to the amount of winding, and it can be due to positioning. [L
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2019, 01:59 AM   #13
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
I set the time and wear them. I find my Seikos as accurate as my higher cost watches, but I am not one to check them to the second.
Same here, with the exception of Spring Drives. Nothing exclusively mechanical compares.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote