The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 July 2020, 01:04 AM   #1
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Is new school social media good or bad for watch collecting enthusiasts?

I would like to know everyones thoughts.

I can see both sides of the coin here. As I wasn't around collecting pre internet age I have no idea what it was like comparatively. I'm speaking of instagram, facebook, Twitter and YouTube. Not necessarily watch forums or websites.

Thanks.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 02:50 AM   #2
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Good question. I don't have FB, Instagram etc but if you account the coincidence of increased popularity of social media and the lack of watch stocks at ADs, false exclusivity, gigantic bump in price of the most sought after models on the secondary market, not to mention flippers and investors, I'd say social media ruined everything.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 03:48 AM   #3
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I’d venture to say the overall good outweighs the bad but the depth of the bad leaves an overall negative impression.

I love how social media has enabled folks to interchange info rapidly.
I don’t love how little qualifications it takes to be on social media.

I respect journalists and the training they put in. Not fair for anyone behind a keyboard to share something and think they are a journalist.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 03:51 AM   #4
Etschell
"TRF" Member

I do enjoy YouTube for the video reviews from people like Mosso. Seeing as I share wrist size with him it realy helps.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 6 July 2020, 04:05 AM   #5
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
I don’t have have FB, Instagram, etc either. I think social media has its pros and cons in the watch community. Watches could be overhyped, causing pieces to increase in price and become scarce. This could sway a beginner/watch collector to buy specific models that they may not to like, and pursue something there going to have to pay way over MSRP for. For the sake that a particular model is all over FB, Instagram, etc. That’s why I always feel, you should buy what you like. Not what’s trending.

I do enjoy youtube for watch reviews.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 04:17 AM   #6
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
I try not to get too defeatist or crotchety about it but Instagram is almost comically toxic and echo-chambery imho. It's not all bad though; there are lots of nice photos on there and I've found some neat stuff by deep-diving Rolex-related hashtags there.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 04:19 AM   #7
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C - Black
Overall good
Makes the knowledge accessible to more fans
tacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 05:12 AM   #8
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
I do enjoy YouTube for the video reviews from people like Mosso. Seeing as I share wrist size with him it realy helps.
I've watched a few nice videos on youtube as well. If TRF is in the same semantic field I'll have to exclude it too.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 05:38 AM   #9
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
"Collectors" ruined baseball cards and comic books long before the "internet".

It is the people not the medium.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 05:58 AM   #10
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

You forgot vinyl records.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 6 July 2020, 08:33 AM   #11
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
All depends on specific individual and in what sense good and bad applies.

Can be both good and bad (social media provides knowledge, media, branding, popularity, etc)

But this can also be good and bad (online presence and advertising leads to more demand vs supply, prices go up, more expensive to get into the game)

The perception greatly varies based on how you look at it and what you are trying to get out of the hobby. I roll with the punches and enjoy it to the appreciable extent that I can - and so far have not gotten tired of it.
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 08:51 AM   #12
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I have yet so see any data on the benefit of social media what so ever. In fact it seems to be making every more miserable than ever and tearing society apart.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 09:35 AM   #13
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Bad.
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 09:44 AM   #14
Generation
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 & BB58
I like watching videos by the various watch gurus on YouTube. I have an Amazon Fire TV, so I watch the vast majority of the YouTube videos on my TV. For forums, I primarily just use TRF these days. The YouTube videos are good for expanding my knowledge of brands outside of Rolex and Tudor.
Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 09:55 AM   #15
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
I do enjoy YouTube for the video reviews from people like Mosso.
He is very, very good. I haven’t seen any other YouTube reviewers as good, and have watched several. Can anyone recommend someone I might have missed so far on, or near, the level of Tim Mosso?
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 09:59 AM   #16
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you love Swiss mechanical watches.

And you want the brands to stay healthy.

Then new watch lovers are needed.

So novel SM is almost necessary.

Not FB & IG, that’s old now - something new we haven’t seen before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 11:39 AM   #17
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

There was a lot more to be found and at very reasonable prices, pre internet. Cellular internet, has hurt me worse. When buying, I don't mind competing with other peoples knowledge, but it's hard to compete with the entire internet.

The downside, there was a lot less information. For instance, I was not aware of service dials. Either it was a redone (repainted dial), or it was original.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 11:39 AM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Only bad if you were into watches before SM but didn’t pull the trigger lol

Overall a huge shot into the arm of an otherwise niche industry.
Old 6 July 2020, 06:09 PM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

I can see both sides of the coin here. As I wasn't around collecting pre internet age I have no idea what it was like comparatively. I'm speaking of instagram, facebook, Twitter and YouTube. Not necessarily watch forums or websites.

Thanks.
Most of what you quote are mostly becoming un-social media sites, and in many ways have harmed many. And almost destroyed the use of there own brain power, as many believe and buy whatever these so called social media sites dictates must have.And as we all know if its on youtube and these other media sites it must be true as many with little own brain power believe it as fact.Social media well speaking for myself you can stick them up where the sun dont shine.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 06:24 PM   #20
Generation
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 & BB58
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Most of what you quote are mostly becoming un-social media sites, and in many ways have harmed many. And almost destroyed the use of there own brain power, as many believe and buy whatever these so called social media sites dictates must have.And as we all know if its on youtube and these other media sites it must be true as many with little own brain power believe it as fact.Social media well speaking for myself you can stick them up where the sun dont shine.
Correct. Or as I prefer to call them, "antisocial media."
Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 07:02 PM   #21
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

I uses to frequent Reddit for watches and other interests. Had to ditch them because politics has become infused into everything on Reddit. Facebook and Instagram are off the the table because of the ads, privacy issues and my disdain for Mark Z. Twitter is an absolute cesspool of anonymous trolls and political garbage.

As others have suggested, YouTube has some good folks on it. I’ve found it to be helpful at times as long as the comments sections are avoided.

Personally, I think new school social media is to the soul as cigarettes are to the body. Research supports this view.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 10:12 PM   #22
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Both.

Great to bring attention to mechanical watches. Bad that it promotes flipping culture.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 10:53 PM   #23
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I see it as a good thing as it leads to a more timely discovery of impressive timepieces. In the old days we'd have to wait months for print mags to 'bestow' their 'wisdom' about new and vintage timepieces. This was VERY LIMITED data as compared to today's Internet possibilities.

The same with show reports. Imagine waiting for print publications to see the new releases. No video, just a pic or three.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 11:58 PM   #24
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
I see it as a good thing as it leads to a more timely discovery of impressive timepieces. In the old days we'd have to wait months for print mags to 'bestow' their 'wisdom' about new and vintage timepieces. This was VERY LIMITED data as compared to today's Internet possibilities.

The same with show reports. Imagine waiting for print publications to see the new releases. No video, just a pic or three.
See I have to respectfully disagree, everything now is too easy. I want this, click here, everyone can get/anything they want with little to no effort. Personally I miss the days where some effort was involved, actually seeing things/people in person. I don't need to see everything in person, and do like the quick info/buying/shipping of certain things. For me the search, and old school homework on a timepiece is and was one of the coolest things for me. I sure I'm in the minority here, I just like the simplicity at times of an age gone....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 02:05 AM   #25
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Bad.
I concur, bad.......bad to the bone.
Old 7 July 2020, 07:37 AM   #26
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Social media is an inanimate thing. It doesn't have feelings or make you do things. It's individual based, if you are predisposed and easily influenced then you will be affected accordingly, positively/negatively or good or bad. It's you, not it.
For me I know what I want, it's another research tool for what I want to research information on, period. It's also entertainment, I use it to just look at things that interest me like when I own a 4Runner, I look at 4Runner things......to pass the time.

Although, I don't have any active social media accounts, except instagram in which I don't post or share anything.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 09:03 AM   #27
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
New school tattooing is far more worthwhile than new school social media.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 09:18 AM   #28
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

Agree.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 09:26 AM   #29
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:

Thanks.

Generally speaking, it is the greatest thing that has ever happened to watch collecting - however, I am including forums in this as forums are absolutely “social media.”

Never have so many been intrigued and involved in watch collecting or interested in watches. We learn through others experiences/teachings - whether it is learning speech as a baby from our parents, fashion from our school mates growing up, calculus from teachers, etc. We learn and become more involved with watches based on others experiences and information they share.

Social media, like anything, can have a negative side. But generally, it has propelled watch interest, collecting, and enthusiasm to its highest peak — amazing really, when talking about a device that uses antiquated technology and its primary purpose has been replaced by so many other, more useful items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote