The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 September 2017, 12:04 AM   #121
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Hopefully not. Hopefully they're a whole lot smarter than those who spend that much for a pair of crappy throw aways.
Are LV shoes really that bad?
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 12:13 AM   #122
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Hopefully not. Hopefully they're a whole lot smarter than those who spend that much for a pair of crappy throw aways.
I hereby plead guilty to 2 counts of buying LV sneakers. At least the blue/black pair matches my BLNR

Sent from my SM-G9550 using Tapatalk
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 12:22 AM   #123
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
In my opinion, no, they're not that bad. My favorite sneaker maker is probably Prada. Yes they cost 5x as much as Nikes, but they also last me 2x or 3x as long and are more enjoyable to wear
Old 22 September 2017, 12:27 AM   #124
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Look when it comes to spending more than the norm on shoes I'm guilty as all h***.

However of all of those shoes or boots they can be re-soled multiple times and they're made with good quality leather. But when it comes to sneakers they're throw aways. The sole wears once and you throw them in the trash when it's all said and done.

LV being what LV is I imagine they're probably made even worse than what those real expensive Jordan throw aways are made of. Just a guess but fashion sneakers aren't always what they're cracked up to be in the first place, A well known fashion brand name contracted out to a company to make purple sparkly shoes, But then again how good can they be. The sole wears down once and then your done. A good pair of boots and the the sole wears down and the leather ages. You get them resoled multiple times and they continue to age gracefully and serve you well for years if you take care of them properly

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 12:30 AM   #125
SearChart
TechXpert

I'm not big into sneakers, but it makes sense that they are basically unrepairable when the sole is worn.

The only sneakers I wear are Vans, simple canvas sneakers for summertime. But they are rather cheap and they don't last long.
Old 22 September 2017, 12:35 AM   #126
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not big into sneakers, but it makes sense that they are basically unrepairable when the sole is worn.

The only sneakers I wear are Vans, simple canvas sneakers for summertime. But they are rather cheap and they don't last long.
For me the only time I wear sneakers are when I'm doing chores or physical activity. Personally when going casual or dress I would much rather wear a good pair of leather dress or casual shoes or boots.Sneakers are a dime a dozen a good pair of leather shoes puts a smile on my face.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 22 September 2017, 12:44 AM   #127
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:

With no disrespect to Dan (he owns great shoes and knows far more than I do), there are different types of customers

there's quality of manufacturing, and then there's also design and brand experience. the C&J boutique staff in NYC were condescending and unreliable IMO. meanwhile, I can text a screenshot of a product to a sales associate at LV, and they'll stock it ASAP and ask when I want to come in and try.

especially as a younger person, I think brands like Allen Edmonds might be too conservative for me. I've realized I like wearing more modern designs

edit: also, LV shoes are made in Italy or France. so that's costing them a lot more $ than Nike is spending
Old 22 September 2017, 12:58 AM   #128
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
With no disrespect to Dan (he owns great shoes and knows far more than I do), there are different types of customers

there's quality of manufacturing, and then there's also design and brand experience. the C&J boutique staff in NYC were condescending and unreliable IMO. meanwhile, I can text a screenshot of a product to a sales associate at LV, and they'll stock it ASAP and ask when I want to come in and try.

especially as a younger person, I think brands like Allen Edmonds might be too conservative for me. I've realized I like wearing more modern designs
As with any thing you buy you'll tend to have good or bad experiences and some of these depend on you and some depend on the given day or just the idiot you happen to be lucky enough to encounter. Anyway for the most part I've experienced nothing but the best in customer service whether it be in person or via the internet.

Your right though a lot of this also depends on the customer and what they are looking for.

Allen Edmonds and Crockett and Jones are but just two of what is actually out there. There are so many other shoemakers out there of which I imagine most could find a Last and design to suit you. That is if that's what floats your boat. Personally I've found my favorites in that type of shoe or boot to be Edward Green and Gaziano and Girling.

But there are so many other styles I wear just as well and I also get great joy out of shoemakers such as Rancourt, Redwing, and Viberg as well. So there are plenty of options when it comes to a leather shoe or boot which can last you for a long long time.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 22 September 2017, 01:40 AM   #129
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
On the advice of a TRF sneaker thread (GB-Man IIRC) I bought Solomon (X-Ultra) sneakers. Most comfortable trainers I've ever owned and super supportive in the gym.

Sneakers are pretty much all injection molded at some point in the process, but the upper needs to be designed well to be both comfortable and supportive for fitness activities. There are a lot of shoes that look cool but suck on the fitness side, and a lot that have good support but look geeky or aren't all day comfortable.

While I love high quality dress shoes, sneakers and boots have an underlying practicality that transcends some the qualities we seek in dress shoes. A GYW may not be appropriate for some applications and shouldn't be the quality baseline for all footwear. Spend a few days in the swamp and you'll curse your GYW and appreciate that fused on sole.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 01:50 AM   #130
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
On the advice of a TRF sneaker thread (GB-Man IIRC) I bought Solomon (X-Ultra) sneakers. Most comfortable trainers I've ever owned and super supportive in the gym.

Sneakers are pretty much all injection molded at some point in the process, but the upper needs to be designed well to be both comfortable and supportive for fitness activities. There are a lot of shoes that look cool but suck on the fitness side, and a lot that have good support but look geeky or aren't all day comfortable.

While I love high quality dress shoes, sneakers and boots have an underlying practicality that transcends some the qualities we seek in dress shoes. A GYW may not be appropriate for some applications and shouldn't be the quality baseline for all footwear. Spend a few days in the swamp and you'll curse your GYW and appreciate that fused on sole.
For the activities I take part in the sneaker does well for chores and physical activities such as bike riding. Other than that the GYW footwear serves me perfectly well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 22 September 2017, 03:00 AM   #131
SearChart
TechXpert

As for the RW boots, second full day wearing them. They are obviously pretty stiff but they don't hurt at all, pretty comfortable actually.
Old 22 September 2017, 03:30 AM   #132
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Yes. Multiple pairs of the heritage collection. Nice boots, good quality, made in the USA !
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 10:59 AM   #133
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Is it true for the 875 / 877 Moc boots that they run big and you should go down half a size??
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 11:49 AM   #134
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Is it true for the 875 / 877 Moc boots that they run big and you should go down half a size??
Yes, especially if you have narrow, low volume feet....get the snuggest you can be comfy in, they stretch a bit.
Old 3 November 2017, 12:06 PM   #135
BravoOne
Banned

If you are reallyy serious about outdoor wear and boots in particular, you should google Filson Boot. Either the Highlander insulated boot or the warterproof Upland boot. Simply yje finest money can buy. Not cheap! Lots of other stuffcas well.
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 12:39 PM   #136
jw0n
"TRF" Member

Congrats Bas! Nice pair! Now with Wings, you can fly too

My 875 getting some sun time; its damp in this part of the world so lack of wear leads to the occasional mould. And yes, these run quite big; I went a full size down.

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 06:58 PM   #137
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoOne View Post
If you are reallyy serious about outdoor wear and boots in particular, you should google Filson Boot. Either the Highlander insulated boot or the warterproof Upland boot. Simply yje finest money can buy. Not cheap! Lots of other stuffcas well.
I'm happy with my Red Wings for now, although I'm carefully looking at a pair of Edward Green Galway boots as a dressier option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw0n View Post
Congrats Bas! Nice pair! Now with Wings, you can fly too

My 875 getting some sun time; its damp in this part of the world so lack of wear leads to the occasional mould. And yes, these run quite big; I went a full size down.

Thanks Won!
I love the moc boots Were yours hard to wear-in?
Old 3 November 2017, 07:05 PM   #138
jw0n
"TRF" Member

They were horrendous to break in! I don't wear mine daily; only on casual Fridays. Yes yes, I really don't need boots, especially not in tropical climate and office environments. But I dig the looks and decided to get a pair.

First few months were... tough. Now, much better. However, I still have trouble if I walk a lot in them, my feet do feel sore from the extra weight

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 08:35 PM   #139
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw0n View Post
They were horrendous to break in! I don't wear mine daily; only on casual Fridays. Yes yes, I really don't need boots, especially not in tropical climate and office environments. But I dig the looks and decided to get a pair.

First few months were... tough. Now, much better. However, I still have trouble if I walk a lot in them, my feet do feel sore from the extra weight
I got really lucky, my iron rangers were super easy to break in.
Old 3 November 2017, 08:41 PM   #140
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
I'm happy with my Red Wings for now, although I'm carefully looking at a pair of Edward Green Galway boots as a dressier option.

Thanks Won!
I love the moc boots Were yours hard to wear-in?
Don't forget Gaziano & Girling Thorpes.
Old 3 November 2017, 08:41 PM   #141
SearChart
TechXpert

Let's contribute with a picture...

Old 3 November 2017, 08:47 PM   #142
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Don't forget Gaziano & Girling Thorpes.
They don't have a boutique in my country, I'm not going to Saville Row, London to try some shoes.
Old 3 November 2017, 09:28 PM   #143
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
They don't have a boutique in my country, I'm not going to Saville Row, London to try some shoes.
Email them for a retailer near you.
Old 3 November 2017, 09:31 PM   #144
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Email them for a retailer near you.
Old 3 November 2017, 10:12 PM   #145
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
As stated by a few others, the 1000 mile boots are fantastic as well. I have a pair (Addison) and I love them.
I love the 1000 mile series, my two issues with them are the price (premium for zero reason other than creating demand) and the soles, too thin, to elegant. Have to have some ruggedness and linage to the work/utility world for it work for me. JMHO
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2017, 01:02 AM   #146
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
I love the 1000 mile series, my two issues with them are the price (premium for zero reason other than creating demand) and the soles, too thin, to elegant. Have to have some ruggedness and linage to the work/utility world for it work for me. JMHO
Agreed. Basically the 1000 mile Wolverines overall are just not as sturdy of a boot as the Redwings. Also they tend to use even the most loosest of skin (leather) so appearance wise this can be a problem for some people. Basicallly you never know what you going to get crease wise with the wolverine 1k boots.

However my pair aren’t that bad and they are very easy on and very easy off.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 4 November 2017, 01:05 AM   #147
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm carefully looking at a pair of Edward Green Galway boots as a dressier option.
Dan’s reaction:

Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2017, 01:07 AM   #148
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Dan’s reaction:

Hehehe
Old 4 November 2017, 02:30 AM   #149
luvan12
"TRF" Member

Those are nice but living in south florida i would probably never wear them.
luvan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2017, 03:42 AM   #150
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Dan’s reaction:

Looks like I could use some sun.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons