The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 September 2017, 06:21 PM   #301
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I might go for the 8+. I'd love the X but I have a horrid feeling that it'll be full of teething troubles, which will be ironed out with next year's XS or whatever they call it.

I'm also a little suspicious as to why it's coming out about five weeks after the 8. Is that deliberate to get sales of the 8 moving or is it because the X already has problems and Apple are trying to sort them? Before anyone flames my apparent cynicism, I'm an Apple fanboy!
Hey Ruud:
I was curious about the 8+ size, but even though I could have benefited from a larger screen, it was just too big for my pocket/lifestyle and I don't wear a belt for a clip case holder. So, no choice but the 8. It should arrive any day.
Hope you're feeling better.
DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 06:23 PM   #302
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I might go for the 8+. I'd love the X but I have a horrid feeling that it'll be full of teething troubles, which will be ironed out with next year's XS or whatever they call it.

I'm also a little suspicious as to why it's coming out about five weeks after the 8. Is that deliberate to get sales of the 8 moving or is it because the X already has problems and Apple are trying to sort them? Before anyone flames my apparent cynicism, I'm an Apple fanboy!
I was waiting for the 7S, which apparently is the 8. I think the people happy with their 7 will buy the 8, and Apple wants to extract the last drop of serum from that market before they move on to the next gen. Or, the X is an unmitigated catastrophe and they need the 8 to carry them through the roll out.

Agree that it doesn't make much sense to have an 8 and an X in the same year. Why buy an 8 when the latest and greatest thing is only a month away, and Apple fanboys are all about the latest and greatest version.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 08:06 PM   #303
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
I’m not sure I can bring myself to pay Apple Tax anymore.

I usually go with the S version so I would be upgrading now normally as I have a 6s.

The reason to go for the X would be the OLED screen so no more dodgy yellow to white patchy screens but £1k!

I just dropped my 6s and it’s still working but someone will destroy an X within a week by dropping it

I’m torn because the competition is not much cheaper though.

Anyone else a clumsy phone dropper like me?! It takes 6 months to get over a scratch on my watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 09:20 PM   #304
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
I just dropped my 6s and it’s still working but someone will destroy an X within a week by dropping it

Anyone else a clumsy phone dropper like me?! It takes 6 months to get over a scratch on my watch

It happens and I share your concern about dropping an X. We don't know how rugged the glass case will be, but we do know it's glass and glass tends to break.
I anticipate buying an X at some point and a protective case will be an absolute requirement. Maybe even insurance, which I have never done.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 10:19 PM   #305
rph08
"TRF" Member

I've been using my 5s for a little over 3 years now, and it has been a great little phone. I'm not all that enthusiastic about cell phones, but a larger screen would make the app I use at work a little easier to navigate. So, I was thinking about waiting for the X. That should get me a larger screen with slightly smaller overall dimensions compared to the 8+. I'm in no big hurry so I think I'll wait and see if the X is ready for the spotlight before I make a move.

Canyonero! Canyonero!
rph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 10:55 PM   #306
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

>> iPhone 8 <<

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
but...but... Since Samsung makes their chip, Samsung just proved they're the fastest. Plus Samsung has expandable memory and a removable battery

In all seriousness, the 8 has better benchmark performance than the X.

One small correction - the A11 chip won't be made by Samsung. It is made by TSMC - a Taiwan company. This was one of the outcomes from the Samsung "falling out" that transpired.

About TSMC: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSMC

As for benchmarks on the iPhone X - the performance of 8 vs. X is still a moving target methinks - some say the 8+ is the leader in multicore performance. The 8 led in single core tests: http://www.zdnet.com/article/iphone-...ot-even-close/

But these different testing procedures can result in variances by the different labs. One thing for sure - they smoke the Androids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
The article only confirms what I have known and have been saying for years. All things considered, the iPhone is the best phone on the market. Certain Android phones may look better on paper, but Apple has the software (which translates to the best performance), UI, ecosystem, and overall user experience. Nobody else comes close.

100% agree but would add that it's the entire Apple ecosystem that makes the iPhone a top pick. Consider how few Android users are on the latest OS update...Oreo just launched and it will prolly never be added to the majority of devices. http://www.wired.co.uk/article/andro...adoption-rates

This leaves gaping security holes for many users and those can affect others if the phone begins to "go rogue".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:01 PM   #307
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
In 8 minutes you were back to sleep? You lucky guy. Insomnia would have had its clutch on me at that point. Hope your new AW pleases you. DM

Ha - went back to bed was what I shoulda said - but sleep wasn't far behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USALV View Post
Did you get the white or the dark gray ceramic for AW/LTE?

Neither - the watch choices I looked at were aluminum or SS - I took the lesser priced 42mm Aluminum one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
At least they're cheaper than the 20th Anniversary Macintosh!!

Jeez, you could buy an iPhone 8 & 8+ in EVERY available colour plus an X for the TEN GRAND that Mac was asking back in 1997

Funny you'd mention that - I'm still struggling with the price - $1149 for the one I'd order. On the open order date for iPhone 8/8+ I received my new iMac 4K with 1TB drive and massively better performance for $1049 (refurb'd). Hmmm...I thought to myself - if only we could package that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 20 September 2017, 11:02 PM   #308
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
I’m not sure I can bring myself to pay Apple Tax anymore.

I usually go with the S version so I would be upgrading now normally as I have a 6s.

The reason to go for the X would be the OLED screen so no more dodgy yellow to white patchy screens but £1k!

I am worse than a clumsy phone dropper. My insurance are very reluctant to pay out anymore put it that way, there is even an iPhone of mine in Amsterdam canal from a couple years ago
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:16 PM   #309
luvan12
"TRF" Member

I got the 7 a while ago but will be waiting to get the IPHONE X.
luvan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:38 PM   #310
77T

Whoops...first AW/LTE bug found before it is shipped. If the watch connects to an open wifi network (like free public or open private wifi) - then cellphone function gets overridden.

Expect a patch soon. Since the beta for the Watch OS couldn't be tested by developers (because AW/LTE isn't shipped to us yet) that function was only tested by Apple's team.

Old 20 September 2017, 11:40 PM   #311
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Whoops...first AW/LTE bug found before it is shipped. If the watch connects to an open wifi network (like free public or open private wifi) - then cellphone function gets overridden.

Expect a patch soon. Since the beta for the Watch OS couldn't be tested by developers (because AW/LTE isn't shipped to us yet) that function was only tested by Apple's team.

Who apparently never left the lab with it on. A quick trip to Starbucks may have revealed the issue.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 01:34 AM   #312
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I will be looking at the X, it looks good to me, the 8 looks a little like previous editions. I will also have a look at the Pixel when that comes out.

I like iOS 11 on my iPad pro.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 01:37 AM   #313
camoedoutlander
"TRF" Member

i have the 7 plus, and i love it, im going to hold out until the next one so the 9 or the X"s"...
camoedoutlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 02:04 AM   #314
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Who apparently never left the lab with it on. A quick trip to Starbucks may have revealed the issue.

There's ubiquitous wifi access in Apple bldgs. and they do field testing

That is a Qualcomm chip issue. So an updated Qual firmware after beta testing may have caused this.

Old 21 September 2017, 03:24 AM   #315
encarter13
"TRF" Member

My 3+ year old iPhone 6 died. I am now stuck with an iPhone SE until I can decide which phone to purchase. I do not like the + size phones, so 8+ is out for me. iPhone 8 or iPhone X?
Old 22 September 2017, 03:10 AM   #316
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Looks like there will be significant delays for iPhone X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors, post: 25075206, member: 3

Final production on the iPhone X has yet to start, even though Apple will begin taking orders for the device in just over a month. Raymond James chip analyst Christopher Caso conducted supply chain checks this morning and then shared what he learned about Apple's production schedule in an investor's note obtained by Barron's.

According to Caso, while there were already production delays affecting the iPhone X, further delays have occurred recently. He says production is set to start in mid-October, later than earlier predictions. With additional delays, full production ramp up will be delayed into the December quarter.

We've already known the iPhone X is going to be severely constrained, but hints of further delays suggest supplies could be more restricted than originally thought.

With the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 8 Plus seemingly not garnering as much interest from customers as previous smartphones launched in fall, it seems there could be quite a lot of Apple fans who are holding out for the iPhone X.

It could be months before Apple has adequate supply to meet demand for the $999 device. Reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, for example, has said it could take well into 2018 for Apple to fill all orders.

The iPhone X will be available for pre-order on October 27, with the device to officially launch on November 3. Pre-orders will undoubtedly sell out rapidly so all but the luckiest customers may need to wait for several weeks to get their hands on one of the new flagship devices.

The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, launching this Friday, should be readily available at retail stores around the world.

Article Link: iPhone X Production Faces Further Delays, Will Start in Mid-October

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 03:45 AM   #317
Goin2drt
Banned

I think the X will have some bugs and I am a little concerned on the face recognition being a PITA. On my Samsung 8 plus it sucks and I don’t use it. I am coming back to Apple. I thought about getting the 8+ but then for the same memory the X is only $200 more so that seems silly as the X seems far superior.

We got my son the smaller memory 8+ so I may see how I like that before deciding. Until then the alarm is still set for 10/27 11:55.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 08:04 AM   #318
Kostas

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
Got it , 8 plus Gold , looks a lot like rose gold

Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 08:09 AM   #319
Goin2drt
Banned

Congrats. With the longer wait for X I folded and bought the 8+ today. Delivered next week sometime.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 08:14 AM   #320
Kostas

That the wife's

Got the 8 in space grey for myself :D

Apple Watch ? Uhmm not yet :)

Old 22 September 2017, 09:38 AM   #321
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
I have a 7+ with 128 right now. Not sure the 8+ is worth the upgrade but I'm going to check out the X when it comes in.

gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 10:17 AM   #322
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post

Looks great. Let's see some more pics. We're waiting on our order to arrive tomorrow. I currently have a 5s and wasn't interested in facial recognition, so I went with the 8.
Old 22 September 2017, 06:02 PM   #323
Kostas

I have to back up my existing phone and whack the sim in it , but just playing around with the wife's , it's noticeably quicker and the screen seems crisper and brighter :)

Old 22 September 2017, 09:00 PM   #324
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Why would you think the face ID is a bad solution and going backwards to a fingerprint solution is better?

I'd take the 1:1,000,000 chances of face ID unlocking my phone for someone other than me over the 1:50,000 of touch ID. That alone is compelling enough to leave touch ID in the past
If you just want to quickly check your phone it might be a bit more convenient to have a fingerprint scanner, than having to properly hold it up to your face.

But for general use and safety I 100% agree, face ID is the future.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 10:32 PM   #325
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post

One of the advantages of being on your side of the international date line!

Old 23 September 2017, 06:28 AM   #326
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Rec'd iP8 today. Of course, slightly larger than my old phone that fits so well in my pockets. Pretty gold version.
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 06:33 AM   #327
jabbawock545
"TRF" Member

Picked mine up this morning, a nice upgrade from my SE. Waiting on the X’s replacement next year before I jump to one with face ID

jabbawock545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 06:39 AM   #328
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Source: Daily Mail Online.

The hype appears to have declined in London at least ?

It kind of represents how I feel TBH. Prices are becoming ridiculous.

I'm such an Apple fan boy and am well and truly entrenched in the Apple ecosystem but for the price of a phone for my wife & I we could fly to Australia to visit family!!

OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 06:44 AM   #329
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Source: Daily Mail Online.

The hype appears to have declined in London at least ?

It kind of represents how I feel TBH. Prices are becoming ridiculous.

I'm such an Apple fan boy and am well and truly entrenched in the Apple ecosystem but for the price of a phone for my wife & I we could fly to Australia to visit family!!

That's because everybody is holding out for the X. When the X is released, my guess is that the lines will be long.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 07:28 AM   #330
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
That's because everybody is holding out for the X. When the X is released, my guess is that the lines will be long.

Absolutely. Those pics aren’t indicative of anything.

rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote