The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 July 2017, 04:49 AM   #211
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Joe, what is the second ship in the broken thread post?

The German battlecruiser Derfflinger as she appeared at the battle of Jutland 1916
Old 24 July 2017, 06:18 AM   #212
mph57
"TRF" Member

Hi Joe

Incredible as always! A couple of questions:

1. How long did it take to develop your amazing skills?
2. Did you teach yourself or did someone else show you how to build these models?
3. What scale is the Bismarck on the preceding page?

Regards,

Mike
mph57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 10:33 AM   #213
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Hey there Mike

I've been doing this for over 20 years. I'm self thought through the school of life. Once you do something enough times you begin to realize how things are done and it doesn't take long before you can build a passable model.

The right tools also help. I have every clamp, razor saw, paint, and do-dad imaginable. Also, a phalanx of airbrushes and compressors helps out too.

Bismarck is 1/700. A great scale for detail but also for display. The larger the ship, the more real estate needed to display it
Old 24 July 2017, 05:20 PM   #214
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

In case you're interested Mike, here are all the photos of Bismarck as she appeared in 1941 at the start of Exercise Rhine.

Bismarck was a very dangerous ship in the way the Germans were using her. Instead of pitting Bismarck against enemy battleships, the Kriegsmarine decided to use her as a commerce raider to destroy ships carrying supplies to Britain. This had been tried earlier in the war with the slightly smaller German battleships Scharnhorst and Gneisenau in what became known as the Reign of Terror. So there was a proof of concept.

Bismarck was under orders from Admiral Lütjens not to engage enemy surface vessels, but when she was caught by HMS Hood and HMS Prince of Wales she had no real choice but to fight. In a twist of naval fate, Bismarck destroyed HMS Hood, a battlecruiser of similar size, in less than 120 seconds from the time Bismarck sighted Hood. Hood detonated like an 900 foot long bomb after Bismarck penetrated Hoods aft magazines. Out of a crew of nearly 1500, only 3 survived. The British had no choice but to hunt down and kill Bismarck after that. I won't go into the whole story, but it's one of the best stories of the war. It's a story of "one in a million" chances for each side that keeps happening over and over.

About the model:

The swastika banners were painted on the deck to prevent the Luftwaffe from bombing the ship by accident while in coastal waters and in the Baltic. Once Exercise Rhine got underway they were painted over with grey paint. The black and white zebra stripes were intended to break up the ship's outline to confuse British submarines.

The decks are planked with wood. They did this on the real ship for anti-skid in wet seas and to insulate a bit. Under the wood was the armored deck.

The Italians did something similar with their ships, they used red and white alternating stripes on the deck to deter the Regia Aeronautica from attacking friendly ships.

Old 25 July 2017, 03:40 AM   #215
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
In case you're interested Mike, here are all the photos of Bismarck as she appeared in 1941 at the start of Exercise Rhine.
Bismarck was a very dangerous ship in the way the Germans were using her. Instead of pitting Bismarck against enemy battleships, the Kriegsmarine decided to use her as a commerce raider to destroy ships carrying supplies to Britain. This had been tried earlier in the war with the slightly smaller German battleships Scharnhorst and Gneisenau in what became known as the Reign of Terror. So there was a proof of concept.

Bismarck was under orders from Admiral Lütjens not to engage enemy surface vessels, but when she was caught by HMS Hood and HMS Prince of Wales she had no real choice but to fight. In a twist of naval fate, Bismarck destroyed HMS Hood, a battlecruiser of similar size, in less than 120 seconds from the time Bismarck sighted Hood. Hood detonated like an 900 foot long bomb after Bismarck penetrated Hoods aft magazines. Out of a crew of nearly 1500, only 3 survived. The British had no choice but to hunt down and kill Bismarck after that. I won't go into the whole story, but it's one of the best stories of the war. It's a story of "one in a million" chances for each side that keeps happening over and over.

About the model:

The swastika banners were painted on the deck to prevent the Luftwaffe from bombing the ship by accident while in coastal waters and in the Baltic. Once Exercise Rhine got underway they were painted over with grey paint. The black and white zebra stripes were intended to break up the ship's outline to confuse British submarines.

The decks are planked with wood. They did this on the real ship for anti-skid in wet seas and to insulate a bit. Under the wood was the armored deck.

The Italians did something similar with their ships, they used red and white alternating stripes on the deck to deter the Regia Aeronautica from attacking friendly ships.

Great work Joe..and good history there.. .!

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 05:48 AM   #216
mph57
"TRF" Member

Quote:

About the model:

Thanks for the info Joe....absolutely beautiful work!

Mike
mph57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 06:10 AM   #217
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Impressive!
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 06:25 AM   #218
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks!!
Old 5 August 2017, 04:28 AM   #219
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

One of my favorite subjects, Shackleton's S/Y Endurance in 1/1250 scale, built inside of a pocket watch case. The hull is made from wood, masts are brass, railings are photoetched brass.

Old 5 August 2017, 12:37 PM   #220
jatco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
One of my favorite subjects, Shackleton's S/Y Endurance in 1/1250 scale, built inside of a pocket watch case. The hull is made from wood, masts are brass, railings are photoetched brass.

Omg....that is amazing.....

Old 5 August 2017, 01:50 PM   #221
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you!
Old 5 August 2017, 01:58 PM   #222
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

In your broken thread post, I absolutely love the Kellys Heros gold scene. It took me a second but oddball sticks out as well as the German tank driver
Old 5 August 2017, 02:02 PM   #223
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Ha! Thanks! In the film, they use modified Russian T34 tanks for the Tigers but I built the Tiger as a historic Tiger, but with the same fantasy camouflage scheme they used.
Old 12 September 2017, 03:18 PM   #224
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Ship I've been working on, German mine breaker, 1/700 scale

Kriegsmarine Sperrbrecher Dreizehn, 1943

Old 12 September 2017, 07:23 PM   #225
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Always wondered what kind of "danger money" they'd get paid to crew a minesweeper
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 11:42 PM   #226
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Always wondered what kind of "danger money" they'd get paid to crew a minesweeper
My uncle served on an ammunition ship in Korea. A ship filled to the gills with ammunition, projectiles, bombs, missiles, mines, explosives, etc. All the things that go boom. I think they got an extra $45 per month for danger pay.
Old 13 September 2017, 02:35 AM   #227
jatco
"TRF" Member

Amazing work Joe....
Always a great to view your talent..

Old 13 September 2017, 03:42 AM   #228
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Beautiful work, as always, Joe.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 04:15 AM   #229
ejvette
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
love seeing your work Joe your a true artist

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 11:34 AM   #230
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Finished the flag on SB13

Old 22 September 2017, 11:55 AM   #231
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Right now I’m working on a model of an Austro-Hungarian destroyer named K.u.K SMS Scharfschütze or “sharpshooter” in English.

I really enjoy the Austro-Hungarian Navy since it did have some mighty large dreadnoughts with some nice advancements but tempered by wild flaws. Not only that but the fact that the Empire doesn’t exist anymore makes for good reading. By wild flaws I mean that their fleet of dreadnoughts were so top heavy, that at full tick, if the helm was turned hard over, the engineers were concerned they’d capsize.

Anyway, this goofy looking destroyer is SMS Scharfschütze, she didn’t do anything interesting during WWI, but that hasn’t stopped me from trying to recreate her in 1/700 Scale. I’ll report back with some photos of her once she’s all painted in her green camouflage.

Old 27 September 2017, 08:31 AM   #232
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

SB13 is Finished

KuK SMS Scharfshütze is coming along

Old 27 September 2017, 10:09 AM   #233
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Amazing once again Joe!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 10:22 AM   #234
ejvette
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Wow beautiful Joe

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 10:33 AM   #235
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

THanks guys!
Old 27 September 2017, 11:51 AM   #236
jatco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Amazing once again Joe!
Absolutely... x2

Old 1 October 2017, 03:19 AM   #237
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Amazing work as always!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 October 2017, 02:45 PM   #238
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Latest model.

I’m scratch building a model of the port engine from Titanic. 1/350 scale. It’s coming along though, lots of piping left at this point.

The model is entirely scratch built from styrene, brass, and aluminum. The crank is turned aluminum as are the cylinders.

The triple-Expansion engines used on Titanic were the largest of their type. Most big liners of the time used high-pressure Parsons turbines but White Star decided that they’d go for size and economy in their ships. Titanic and her sisters used 2 Triple Expansion reciprocating engines exhausting into a low pressure Parsons turbine. This arrangement burned about half the coal of her competitors Mauritania and Lusitania while being about 35% larger in size. Titanic was by no means slow. They never maxed out Titanic on her trials but Her sister did clock 25kts which is pretty substantial for her hybrid power plant and fuel economy.

To put it all into perspective, Titanic could make 46,000 horsepower at full revolutions. She was 882’ long at 52,000 tons. The fastest ocean liner ever built was SS United States, 990’ And 55,000 tons. United States entered service in 1952 and her top speed was somewhere around 46kts. No one really knows the true top speed since they felt going further could cause too much stress. SSUS developed 247,000 horsepower at full revs. 247,000!!!!!!

Old 23 October 2017, 11:31 PM   #239
jatco
"TRF" Member

Incredible....and amazing Joe.
Speechless

Old 24 October 2017, 05:00 AM   #240
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
This one will be amazing. Such detail astounds me. Extremely beautiful work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk