The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 July 2017, 11:49 PM   #1
alfletch
"TRF" Member

This weekend I visited an AD where I purchased 2 Rolex in the last 3 years..

I was told they were are giving no further discounts on SS Rolex…..I told them no discount no purchase and I left…..am I wrong, is that now the case?
alfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 11:52 PM   #2
dave023
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classics
Where I live, there are no discounts on SS sub, BLNR and Daytona...
dave023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 11:54 PM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you are in the UK then yes that's pretty much it on the more popular SS, still think you can get something on Exp, Milgauss, YM etc.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 11:55 PM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

yep thats pretty much true in most cases. Paying retail IS a discount in the UK. If you go to france and pay retail it will cost you quite a bit more.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 12:02 AM   #5
skkali168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116689
I was in the south coast plaza mall- the Rolex AD also told me no discounts on any model unless it’s an all gold model lol. To think when I was still new to the watch world I bought a solid gold Daytona and a two tone yachtmaster ii from them. I figured that kinda made me a good customer, I felt I was owed a discount but they didn’t care, no discount for me lol. So I ended up buying from TRF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
skkali168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 12:07 AM   #6
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by skkali168 View Post
I was in the south coast plaza mall- the Rolex AD also told me no discounts on any model unless it’s an all gold model lol. To think when I was still new to the watch world I bought a solid gold Daytona and a two tone yachtmaster ii from them. I figured that kinda made me a good customer, I felt I was owed a discount but they didn’t care, no discount for me lol. So I ended up buying from TRF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Depends on the AD. Some will, some won't, and those who do offer may only do so on select models.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 12:08 AM   #7
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

If you weren't at least offered a small discount for paying in cash, that's a little weird. But, yeah, I think you'd need to be a better customer than one watch per year for them to basically flush money and give you a discount on a watch that they could easily sell at full retail.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 12:11 AM   #8
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
As above, if you're in UK that's totally normal. I've even asked recently if they'd take money off EXP2, Deepsea Black etc and told they won't discount SS at all now.

Sign of the times in the UK.

Even the likes of iconic are above list for most and just a tiny discount on EXP2, black Deepsea etc.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 12:56 AM   #9
'Andy'
"TRF" Member

No discount is perfectly normal.....I hope you haven't spoiled your relationship with them as you may have lost your ability to get hold of hard to get pieces like the Daytona if you wanted one..!
'Andy' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 01:31 AM   #10
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
I understand the AD's position on desirable watches. If they know the watch will sell quickly at full list price, why would they sacrifice revenue selling at a discount? It's not personal, it's just business.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 01:45 AM   #11
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
From my experience I do not see ADs giving discounts unless you are a big time buyer. I am not so I am not offended by it and understand their business. If you want a guarantee discount go the trusted seller route. That's what I do when I buy something once in a blue moon. I know I will get 15-20% off new and maybe more used.
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 01:57 AM   #12
mrmarty
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Two in three years isn't a lot considering there are customers who come in once a month or more. There was an AD where I was going to frequently that had regulars who almost lived out of there. Either way you shouldn't sour the relationship over not getting a discount on a SS model. After all they are the most sought after and also the lowest on the price scale that attract all types of clientele. At the end of the day revenue is revenue, and they run a business to generate it.
mrmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 02:03 AM   #13
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfletch View Post
I was told they were are giving no further discounts on SS Rolex…..I told them no discount no purchase and I left…..am I wrong, is that now the case?
Why should they discount on SS watches when they sell every one they get in?

They will let you walk away without a seconds hesitation to make more profit off the next customer.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 02:08 AM   #14
indy78
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233 Serti
Caribbean Retails for Less

If you plan on going on a cruise, you may want to wait to make that purchase. This past May I went to Goldfinger in St Maarten and the Caribbean retail price for the 116610 is $8150 vs the US retail of $8550. Goldfinger would discount an additional 5% off the Caribbean retail for a duty free out the door price of $7742.

I recently went to the Rolex retailer in South Coast Plaza in Orange County and priced the same watch. I found they would not discount the watch. Therefore, the price with sales tax would be $9234. A Caribbean savings of $1492.
Old 17 July 2017, 02:08 AM   #15
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Why should they discount on SS watches when they sell every one they get in?

They will let you walk away without a seconds hesitation to make more profit off the next customer.
I agree. An AD is not obligated to offer any discount. Great if they do, but to complain about not receiving one (out of a sense of entitlement) is simply being unreasonable.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 02:10 AM   #16
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
I don't think you are a big enough customer to warrant a discount in their eyes unfortunately.

Some do and some don't, but that depends on your spending habits with the AD.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 02:13 AM   #17
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Will there be another "normalising". RRP UK<eu raise for UK ??
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 02:18 AM   #18
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post
I understand the AD's position on desirable watches. If they know the watch will sell quickly at full list price, why would they sacrifice revenue selling at a discount? It's not personal, it's just business.
Exactly.

Why should there be any discount in the first place?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 02:24 AM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy78 View Post
If you plan on going on a cruise, you may want to wait to make that purchase. This past May I went to Goldfinger in St Maarten and the Caribbean retail price for the 116610 is $8150 vs the US retail of $8550. Goldfinger would discount an additional 5% off the Caribbean retail for a duty free out the door price of $7742.

I recently went to the Rolex retailer in South Coast Plaza in Orange County and priced the same watch. I found they would not discount the watch. Therefore, the price with sales tax would be $9234. A Caribbean savings of $1492.
he is in the UK i believe so that math probably doesn't work for OP

Uk prices are the lowest in the world.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 02:28 AM   #20
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

I think the issue here is just a perception of scale. The Op thinks he's a big customer by buying a couple of watches over the past few years. As a big customer, he expects to be treated like a big customer, since they want to keep his business. Obviously, to the Op buying a couple of expensive watches over a few years is a big deal.

Ultimately, to an AD it's not. That makes you a returning customer, and I'm sure it makes them happy to see you. Certainly doesn't make one a big customer, though -- not even close. Establishing a relationship with an AD can be amazing for getting non-cash favours that walk-in customers wouldn't get (vendor goodwill can be very valuable), but you have to be a legitimate big, reliable, steady customer for them to take money out of their pockets and put it in yours just to be sure you'll keep coming back.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 02:58 AM   #21
grimps
"TRF" Member

I've brought three Rolex watches from my local AD this year and five in total over the last five years , I was wondering if I should ask for a discount on a new DJ 41 and also if it's about time they got me that Daytona he said in on the list for ??
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 03:14 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
I've brought three Rolex watches from my local AD this year and five in total over the last five years , I was wondering if I should ask for a discount on a new DJ 41 and also if it's about time they got me that Daytona he said in on the list for ??
I would think 5 in 5 makes you a pretty big deal in Cleethorpes so I think you should def ask but on the new Basels it will be tough.

Obviously very different story in Lichfield... wherever that is...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 03:15 AM   #23
grimps
"TRF" Member

grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 07:33 AM   #24
gabbysplace
2024 Pledge Member

That's the reality of the watch market in the UK now. With the pound down and limited quantities of SS sport models (unlike in the US, where we're flooded with them), UK watches are relatively cheap and SS models in particular are selling fast.
gabbysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 07:49 AM   #25
Zippo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfletch View Post

I noticed you live in the GTA, I do too. It does seem like this is now the case because I was told pretty much the same thing. Crazy to think I bought my Hulk 5 years ago and was given 25% off with no prior purchase history with the AD. to the good old days!
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 07:50 AM   #26
Exploradori
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 1803
well done
Exploradori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 08:32 AM   #27
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
'Discounts' are by no means SOP for ADs. I would submit, first off - that a discount would depend on a couple of things -- purchase history and rapport.

And secondly -- if you have to 'ask' for a deal -- you haven't met the first -- just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 09:52 AM   #28
ejvette
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
No discounting around here that's why I buy online ...even if I pay MSRP not paying the sales tax is like an 8.625% discount

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 10:09 AM   #29
CYKBC
"TRF" Member

I don't even bother with ADs. Waste of space and time.

Online all day.
CYKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 01:16 PM   #30
indy78
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233 Serti
Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
he is in the UK i believe so that math probably doesn't work for OP

Uk prices are the lowest in the world.
How much does the VAT add to the lowest price in the world?