The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 September 2017, 01:39 AM   #31
MonBK
Banned

Are you going diving Bas?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 02:01 AM   #32
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Yep, when it comes to leather it's best to always give the leather a day off due to moisture.

Use some shoe trees. If it doesn't actually help with moisture it does help with maintaining the shape of the shoe or boot and keeping the shoe or boot fresher. I usually put the trees in after about 1/2 hour or hour after taking them off.
Put the shoe trees on as soon as you get them off, the cedar will take care of moisture & keep them well
Old 15 September 2017, 02:04 AM   #33
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Another shoe thread

Does anyone here have experience with Red Wing boots? I'm looking to buy a new daily shoe, these are the exact style I'm looking for.

https://www.redwingamsterdam.com/pro...amber-harness/

I'd appreciate your input.
Had a pair of Iron Rangers for 4 years, they had just been perfectly broken-in and someone stole them from me. One thing that always ticked me off about the Iron Ranger though was the capped toe, so when I replaced them I didn't buy another pair I bought a pair of Chippewa's that were similar but no capped toe. Odessa General Utility Service boot 1901M24, could not be happier with them!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 02:06 AM   #34
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Had a pair of Iron Rangers for 4 years, they had just been perfectly broken-in and someone stole them from me. One thing that always ticked me off about the Iron Ranger though was the capped toe, so when I replaced them I didn't buy another pair I bought a pair of Chippewa's that were similar but no capped toe. Odessa General Utility Service boot 1901M24, could not be happier with them!
The iron ranger was the safety toe Boot before there was technology to install steel toes....a second layer of leather was added back in the old days to strengthen the toe area.
Old 15 September 2017, 02:07 AM   #35
wantonebad

Quote:
Here she is

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 15 September 2017, 02:08 AM   #36
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
The iron ranger was the safety toe Boot before there was technology to install steel toes....a second layer of leather was added back in the old days to strengthen the toe area.
I'm talking styling, not saftey
Old 15 September 2017, 02:13 AM   #37
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
Put the shoe trees on as soon as you get them off, the cedar will take care of moisture & keep them well
Sorry, but I choose to air them out for 30 to 60 minutes first. Frankly it's actually debatable whether their is actuall benefit from using shoe trees and expelling moisture. But they do help with keeping them fresh smelling and keeping their shape.

This same practice works just fine with everything from Edward Green to RedWings.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 02:18 AM   #38
SearChart
TechXpert

I always use shoe trees in my leather shoes I never heard of letting shoes rest for a day, but I will do that as well.

Let's hope they have my size in Amsterdam, I'm going to travel three hours just for some shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Are you going diving Bas?
Hell no!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 02:27 AM   #39
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Bick 4 is a great conditioner as well. Highly recommend it. After all we are talking about dead skin. It's good to keep the leather moisturizer from time to time, just don't over do it.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 September 2017, 02:28 AM   #40
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I always use shoe trees in my leather shoes I never heard of letting shoes rest for a day, but I will do that as well.

Let's hope they have my size in Amsterdam, I'm going to travel three hours just for some shoes

Hell no!
Your feet will feel better if you do. Better to put your feet in leather which is fresher smelling and not so moist inside and your boots will tend to look better and last longer as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 September 2017, 02:29 AM   #41
wantonebad

Quote:
Bick 4 is a great conditioner as well. Highly recommend it. After all we are talking about dead skin. It's good to keep the leather moisturizer from time to time, just don't over do it.
I'm thinking about putting something on the boot pictured above, but I don't want to discolor it, will this work?
Old 15 September 2017, 02:31 AM   #42
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I've been wearing Red Wing boots for twenty years. They are a very well constructed boot, but the materials are decidedly workmanlike. You won't see fine leathers in their range, but the boots are very durable and virtually indestructible in normal use.

You should be warned that Red Wings take some time to break in. They will likely hurt for the first couple wears. Then they will be uncomfortable for a while. Then they'll feel like slippers, melded to your feet.
True story. I bought my iron rangers in Manhattan one day because I was sick of wearing my stained and battered Ecco Chelsea boots. I had heard of red wing and knew I couldn't go wrong with the classic iron ranger.

I bought them uptown, actually tossed my Chelsea boots and wore the iron rangers. The next day we ended up walking the Brooklyn bridge from fort green to the east village. Aside from the first time I wore new ice skates I've never had my feet in such pain!

I recommend buying a pair with a rubber sole fitted. This was not an option when I bought mine and it will greatly improve traction and wear in wet or icy conditions should you encounter any.
Old 15 September 2017, 02:35 AM   #43
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm thinking about putting something on the boot pictured above, but I don't want to discolor it, will this work?
As with any product it's best to test an area first. But when using Bick 4 I've yet to experience any lasting discoloration effects and like I said I use it on my most expensive as well as my least expensive shoes or boots. Typically no discoloration occurs. It also helps with water spots on my most expensive shoes. It and Legolas are the only two conditioners that don't contain turpentine.

The great thing it's also fairly inexpensive.

The person I purchased a good majority of my Edward Green and Gaziano & Girling shoes highly recommends it.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 September 2017, 02:37 AM   #44
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
True story. I bought my iron rangers in Manhattan one day because I was sick of wearing my stained and battered Ecco Chelsea boots. I had heard of red wing and knew I couldn't go wrong with the classic iron ranger.

I bought them uptown, actually tossed my Chelsea boots and wore the iron rangers. The next day we ended up walking the Brooklyn bridge from fort green to the east village. Aside from the first time I wore new ice skates I've never had my feet in such pain!

I recommend buying a pair with a rubber sole fitted. This was not an option when I bought mine and it will greatly improve traction and wear in wet or icy conditions should you encounter any.
Rubber soles last longer than leather typically and it doesn't tend to look as ugly as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 September 2017, 02:41 AM   #45
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If Bick 4 is good enough for my St Crispins then it's certainly good enough for my RedWings.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 September 2017, 02:45 AM   #46
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
I think I am up to 4 pairs of the heritage line of boots. They are great once broken in.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 02:56 AM   #47
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Rubber soles last longer than leather typically and it doesn't tend to look as ugly as well.
I actually like the look of a leather sole more than rubber.
My Oxford dress shoes have a leather sole as well, they are indeed slippery in the rain. That is somewhat of a downside, but I can live with that.
Old 15 September 2017, 03:03 AM   #48
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My Oxford dress shoes have a leather sole as well, they are indeed slippery in the rain. That is somewhat of a downside, but I can live with that.
It's an old debate but generally it comes down to what the individual prefers. For me however whenever I get the choice other than my most dressy shoes I always choose some kind of rubber sole and that even goes for my smartest of casual shoes.

In fact my most expensive pair of footwear I own have rubber soles. I just find rubber soles to be more practical than leather. Rubber soles if thin enough don't really project that badly.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 September 2017, 03:16 AM   #49
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Who looks at the bottom of the shoe? Get Dainite soles. From the side or top they look just like properly dressed/edged leather. But have good traction, last a long time, and are every bit as comfy as leather (if not better).
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 03:19 AM   #50
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Who looks at the bottom of the shoe? Get Dainite soles. From the side or top they look just like properly dressed/edged leather. But have good traction, last a long time, and are every bit as comfy as leather (if not better).
I'll be going there on Tuesday, I'll take a good look at what they have. From the ones on the website I like the one I posted most, they happen to have leather soles which doesn't bother me.
Old 15 September 2017, 10:22 AM   #51
mschafer
"TRF" Member

I wore the 875 Moc toe years ago and they were great. Today I'm in the Alden boots territory and much prefer these. My Indy boots are now closing in on 10 years and one rebuilt and they're just great. Double the price I admit but I keep getting compliments on these. For kicking around the Red Wings should be spelendid. I'm actually thinking of another pair to keep in the country.
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 11:06 AM   #52
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
More than forty years ago, I wore steel-toed, Red Wing boots while working at a potash mine in Eddy County, New Mexico.

It was one of the harshest environments I can imagine. Potash is basically a salt, which dries out the leather, the grounds can be a wet, muddy mess for weeks during the monsoons, and freezing cold in the winters and there are plenty of things rolling around to cut your toes off, or simply crush them.

In eighteen months of working on the loading docks, I went through two pair and both pairs had the leather sliced across one of the steel-toes.

They were the best work boots I've ever owned.

As for care, they spent their off time in my locker. Sometimes when loading hopper cars, I'd let the oil used for dust suppression drip on them and rub it in real good, but that was it.

I don't remember the name of them, but they looked like a pair of old-school combat boots, before Robert McNamara started designing combat footwear.

They looked a lot like these.

https://www.redwingamsterdam.com/pro...amber-harness/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Wing.JPG (30.4 KB, 136 views)

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 11:54 AM   #53
One Ping Only
"TRF" Member

Watch: several
They take some break in, but great boots.
Old 15 September 2017, 12:04 PM   #54
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

An avid fan of Redwing steel toe boots. Have been a repeat customer for 15 + years..
My first pair, worn 6 days a week, untreated and worn in some of the worst conditions for a leather boot, lasted me 7 years...and the only reason I had to retire them was I wore the soles right off! No separation in the seems or soles.
My second pair I have been giving an annual mink oil rub to keep the leather conditioned and soft. I don't do as much walking on these, but 10 years old now, and I'd bet another two or three left in them.
12" Pecos are my wearers.
Can't comment on the dress shoes, but I can certainly vouch for the quality and workmanship.
All previous work boot brands I wore would be lucky to last 2 years at most.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 02:42 PM   #55
dddrees
"TRF" Member

If your really looking for some real nice fashion type work boots Vibergs Service Boots in Brown Chromexcel is where it's really at!!!!

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 September 2017, 09:27 PM   #56
SearChart
TechXpert

Didn't think my question would generate so many replies, thanks everyone. Seems like I cannot go wrong with this brand.
Old 15 September 2017, 09:37 PM   #57
Jamiewabbit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea dweller
Lovely boots! I love them! Had them for 6 years and all I needed to replace were the soles. The leather is stained albeit using their Cleaners and mink oil. But I love them to bits!
Jamiewabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 10:46 PM   #58
SearChart
TechXpert

Would this conditioner be enough, or do I need something else as well?

https://www.redwingamsterdam.com/pro...r-conditioner/

Also, €80,- for shoe trees, holy damn..
Old 15 September 2017, 10:53 PM   #59
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
lol this thread is making me want to buy another pair of boots....
damn you Bas =)
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 10:59 PM   #60
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would this conditioner be enough, or do I need something else as well?

https://www.redwingamsterdam.com/pro...r-conditioner/

Also, €80,- for shoe trees, holy damn..
I use Red Wing ALL NATURAL BOOT OIL ITEM NO. 97103 liquid about twice a year or more if the boots are scrubbed with saddle soap. It used to come in a plastic bottle but is now in a metal flask?

Shoe trees? Not on boots; the boot interior air-dries

Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote