The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 September 2017, 06:58 PM   #1
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

I sent my watch in for repair at an independent in 2014 and have not received it back

I am not writing this post to attack anybody, and I don’t intend on naming the shop/person, as I think it’d be shocking here. Needless to say, my watch has been in the hands of somebody well known to this forum for the last three years. And I can’t seem to get it back. Also, the watch in question is a Longines, although I did initially send it in with my DJ and I went with this person because of the feedback on this forum. So if this post has to be moved, so be it, but I think it serves as a valuable warning.

I initially sent my Longines in around the end of March, 2014. This is not a valuable watch, at most $200-$300 dollars, but it has sentimental value. It was given to me by my uncle, and was the first “real” watch I owned. It’s an automatic, stainless steel, probably dating from the 80’s. I wore it throughout college, until I was involved in an unfortunate rollerblading accident, which led to a stopped watch and smashed crystal.

In late April, 2014, I heard there would be a problem, as the watch was “the most complicated automatic I have ever seen extremely over engineered” and the stem was rusted to the set lever, which was corroded and broken.

By August, it was clear the Longines would take a while, I asked for my DJ to be sent back. It was, and I was satisfied with the work on it.

In January of ‘15, I received an email that he was still looking for parts.

In August, still looking, and it was promised to me that if parts were not available, it would be shipped back to me as is, which I was fine with.

Jump ahead to May 2016, the parts are available and ordered, will be there in a month!

Since then, no further response to my emails, and I’ve sent a few. I asked for updates, or for the watch to be sent back, whatever the condition. I did call on the phone once or twice, there was some difficulty in getting a clear diagram from Switzerland so that the watch could be reassembled. If I remember correctly, the last phone contact was about 4 or 5 months ago.

I don’t know what to do at this point. I doubt that I will get my watch back. It’s been over three and a half years. I understand he is quite busy, but this seems like an excessive period of time to wait. I wish I had just sent the watch through a dealer. It would certainly have cost me more than the value of the watch, but at least I’d have a watch!

I am hesitant to name names, as I’m doubtful it would help. I do hope all of you are a bit more careful in who you deal with, and understand that even with stellar reputations on this forum, you may end up with a bad experience. This pretty much turned me off independents. The money saved just isn’t worth it.
rouxeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 07:04 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I've moved this out of the Rolex Discussion section Andrew, but I don't see why you shouldn't name whoever has your watch at this stage.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 07:04 PM   #3
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
If I were you, I would call again and tell the watchmaker that you have waited long enough without results and that you would like your watch returned. If it is not then returned, I would certainly name names.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 07:45 PM   #4
4rnold
"TRF" Member

Maybe over such a long period they lost the watch, this happened to my father (60years ago or something) with the watch he got from his parents . The watchmaker lost the watch and gave another (less valuable) watch in return. No, it was not rolex. I really think you waited more then long enough.
4rnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 08:56 PM   #5
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Name the person who has the watch. It seems absurd. If he cant fix it just send it back to you. Even if it is 3 years later....

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 09:01 PM   #6
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
I would give it a few more years.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 09:01 PM   #7
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
I am not writing this post to attack anybody, and I don’t intend on naming the shop/person, as I think it’d be shocking here. Needless to say, my watch has been in the hands of somebody well known to this forum for the last three years. And I can’t seem to get it back. Also, the watch in question is a Longines, although I did initially send it in with my DJ and I went with this person because of the feedback on this forum. So if this post has to be moved, so be it, but I think it serves as a valuable warning.

I initially sent my Longines in around the end of March, 2014. This is not a valuable watch, at most $200-$300 dollars, but it has sentimental value. It was given to me by my uncle, and was the first “real” watch I owned. It’s an automatic, stainless steel, probably dating from the 80’s. I wore it throughout college, until I was involved in an unfortunate rollerblading accident, which led to a stopped watch and smashed crystal.

In late April, 2014, I heard there would be a problem, as the watch was “the most complicated automatic I have ever seen extremely over engineered” and the stem was rusted to the set lever, which was corroded and broken.

By August, it was clear the Longines would take a while, I asked for my DJ to be sent back. It was, and I was satisfied with the work on it.

In August, still looking, and it was promised to me that if parts were not available, it would be shipped back to me as is, which I was fine with.

Jump ahead to May 2016, the parts are available and ordered, will be there in a month!

Since then, no further response to my emails, and I’ve sent a few. I asked for updates, or for the watch to be sent back, whatever the condition. I did call on the phone once or twice, there was some difficulty in getting a clear diagram from Switzerland so that the watch could be reassembled. If I remember correctly, the last phone contact was about 4 or 5 months ago.

I don’t know what to do at this point. I doubt that I will get my watch back. It’s been over three and a half years. I understand he is quite busy, but this seems like an excessive period of time to wait. I wish I had just sent the watch through a dealer. It would certainly have cost me more than the value of the watch, but at least I’d have a watch!

I am hesitant to name names, as I’m doubtful it would help. I do hope all of you are a bit more careful in who you deal with, and understand that even with stellar reputations on this forum, you may end up with a bad experience. This pretty much turned me off independents. The money saved just isn’t worth it.
How can we be careful if you don't name him?

I would (before I named him) call or e-mail and point him to this thread to let him know that I will name him if there's no resolution.

Good luck and hope it helps.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 09:05 PM   #8
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
A proper shop should have an insurance policy that could refund you if the watch was damaged or lost while in their possession.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 09:16 PM   #9
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
Raise hell!!!!
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 09:51 PM   #10
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post

The warning then in this case is; "Do not use any Independent online watch repairers." By not naming him, your "warning" has lumped all repairers in the same boat. Your "warning" may have hurt a good repairers business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
I would (before I named him) call or e-mail and point him to this thread to let him know that I will name him if there's no resolution.
I agree, this could have been done before you posted this warning, if he never replied then he should have been named, if he did reply and resolve things to your satisfaction the post wouldn't have been needed.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 10:10 PM   #11
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Without hearing from the other party and the reasons all I can do is say I am sorry.

Not sure what else you expect from the forum?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 10:29 PM   #12
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by watch this View Post
i would give it a few more years.
hahaha
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 10:34 PM   #13
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

Your repair obviously isn't a priority for him, so I would just ask for the watch back in whatever state it's in. I have actually been down this road before too, and waited a lot less than you did before getting frustrated. If he doesn't respond to your emails or phone calls, send a demand letter via certified mail.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 10:40 PM   #14
tamiya
"TRF" Member

If Maui=Hawaii... I guess I'm not gunna get any watch fixed in Hawaii anytime soon
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 10:44 PM   #15
Floorguy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Boy oh boy, this sounds awfully familiar!!!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 10:59 PM   #16
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:10 PM   #17
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I'm guessing it's not Kent. But the OP does sound like a previous thread about a respected independent that went dark on a customer.

Looking for the popcorn...
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:43 PM   #18
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
It's hard to take seriously people who make a mystery out of a psa.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 11:52 PM   #19
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
The warning then in this case is; "Do not use any Independent online watch repairers." By not naming him, your "warning" has lumped all repairers in the same boat. Your "warning" may have hurt a good repairers business.

I agree, this could have been done before you posted this warning, if he never replied then he should have been named, if he did reply and resolve things to your satisfaction the post wouldn't have been needed.
+1
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 12:16 AM   #20
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

I sent my watch in for repair at an independent in 2014 and have not received it back

3 years?? That’s crazy. It also time to name the offender so no one else here gets burned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 12:20 AM   #21
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Since the watch is only worth 200 tell him to give it back. Probably cant get parts for it.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 12:23 AM   #22
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Since the watch is only worth 200 tell him to give it back. Probably cant get parts for it.

He's only been trying for three years to get it back.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 12:29 AM   #23
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I'm guessing it's not Kent. But the OP does sound like a previous thread about a respected independent that went dark on a customer.

Are you referring to the one that got deleted
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 12:52 AM   #24
Floorguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post

Yup! And that got straightened out fast!
Old 21 September 2017, 02:14 AM   #25
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 02:33 AM   #26
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Just want to point out it's a HE, not a SHE... I'm safe!

In all seriousness, that time frame is a little excessive. I also think you should reach out to him one last time, and give him the opportunity to return it asap.

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 06:39 AM   #27
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

So what's the purpose of your 'warning' OP, if you won't name the shop?
You may have been "KENTed".
Old 21 September 2017, 07:07 AM   #28
Floorguy
2024 Pledge Member

I'm guessing it's been worked out!!
Old 21 September 2017, 08:30 AM   #29
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

I received a phone call (referencing this thread) and email within a few hours of initially posting.

I will update when the watch arrives.
rouxeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 08:36 AM   #30
Bryant Park
Banned

In fairness if it was a perpetual calendar he may be waiting to see if the leap year function works prior to returning it. If you don't hear anything by March 1st 2018 raise hell.
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote