The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 July 2016, 09:03 AM   #1
thenewguyguys
"TRF" Member

1603 Datejust

Is ~$2200 fair for a 1603(1971) datejust
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.JPG (40.3 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg b.JPG (39.3 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg c.JPG (87.4 KB, 344 views)
thenewguyguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 09:06 AM   #2
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
For the non-quickset 1570-calibre 1603 I'd have said it was a little expensive, especially if no bracelet present.

Haywood
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 09:18 AM   #3
thenewguyguys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
For the non-quickset 1570-calibre 1603 I'd have said it was a little expensive, especially if no bracelet present.

Haywood
How much would you say its worth? and how much with a bracelet?
Old 24 July 2016, 09:27 AM   #4
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I just saw some at the NAWCC national for $1800-$1900 with bracelet. Not sure how much they would have dealt.
I just picked one up for $1400 at a Pawn shop.
But that is US market, not Sweden. I believe prices are typically higher in Europe.
And depends on were you are willing to shop and who you buy from.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 01:03 PM   #5
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
yes i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
I just saw some at the NAWCC national for $1800-$1900 with bracelet. Not sure how much they would have dealt.
I just picked one up for $1400 at a Pawn shop.
But that is US market, not Sweden. I believe prices are typically higher in Europe.
And depends on were you are willing to shop and who you buy from.

i agree. also internet prices are a bit high for these older datejusts VS boots on the ground hunting. i understand that we probably know nothing about watch hunting in Sweden and pricing too.

older datejusts and other oysters are our absolute favorites and there are many great examples to be found for very reasonable prices. as an example if one was in Kowloon, The Philippines or NYC in the 47th st. jewelry district or the chelsea weekend antiques markets and flea markets these things can be had for $1000 to $1500 depending on the bracelets and condition. however that is the extreme low side example price-wise. most important will be whether one of these needs a movement service as that will eat up a good chunk of cash. this is how buying one from a brick and mortar dealer or trusted seller on this and other websites can be beneficial as one knows what one is getting. it may cost a few bucks more but worth it in the long run. as i mentioned, the bracelet condition will be a big deciding factor and there is no reason for buying one of these without the bracelet unless it's for a huge discount.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 02:20 PM   #6
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
i agree. also internet prices are a bit high for these older datejusts VS boots on the ground hunting. i understand that we probably know nothing about watch hunting in Sweden and pricing too.

older datejusts and other oysters are our absolute favorites and there are many great examples to be found for very reasonable prices. as an example if one was in Kowloon, The Philippines or NYC in the 47th st. jewelry district or the chelsea weekend antiques markets and flea markets these things can be had for $1000 to $1500 depending on the bracelets and condition. however that is the extreme low side example price-wise. most important will be whether one of these needs a movement service as that will eat up a good chunk of cash. this is how buying one from a brick and mortar dealer or trusted seller on this and other websites can be beneficial as one knows what one is getting. it may cost a few bucks more but worth it in the long run. as i mentioned, the bracelet condition will be a big deciding factor and there is no reason for buying one of these without the bracelet unless it's for a huge discount.

I paid $2500 for my 1603 on a Jubilee bracelet back in April from a dealer here in New York known for very clean examples. I didn't feel that I overpaid for the quality. Fun watch, too. Of all my Rolexes, it's the one I view as the most carefree, I never worry about it, just slap it on and off I go.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 05:34 PM   #7
thenewguyguys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post

I paid $2500 for my 1603 on a Jubilee bracelet back in April from a dealer here in New York known for very clean examples. I didn't feel that I overpaid for the quality. Fun watch, too. Of all my Rolexes, it's the one I view as the most carefree, I never worry about it, just slap it on and off I go.
How much would a Jubilee bracelet cost you?
Old 24 July 2016, 09:12 PM   #8
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguyguys View Post
How much would a Jubilee bracelet cost you?
These appear to be sold already, but just to give you an idea:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=480896

My opinion, a 1603 needs a Jubilee to look complete. On a strap occasionally it looks great if course, but the bracelet makes the watch.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2016, 08:15 AM   #9
thenewguyguys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post
These appear to be sold already, but just to give you an idea:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=480896

My opinion, a 1603 needs a Jubilee to look complete. On a strap occasionally it looks great if course, but the bracelet makes the watch.
Thanks, I'll have to find one later on.
Old 25 July 2016, 09:30 AM   #10
oldLeatherNeck
"TRF" Member

Pricing depends on condition and the dial

Quote:

OP: The prices above are for common white and silver dialed DJs, nice Fat-Boy london blue in good condition are sold over VRF for $2500.00 while the gilt DJs are much harder to find and they can be costly.

Jacek sold a 1601 TT gilt for $8K.
oldLeatherNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2016, 11:30 AM   #11
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldLeatherNeck View Post
OP: The prices above are for common white and silver dialed DJs, nice Fat-Boy london blue in good condition are sold over VRF for $2500.00 while the gilt DJs are much harder to find and they can be costly.

Jacek sold a 1601 TT gilt for $8K.

sir with all due respect this topic is about common dialed datejusts like the OP pictured. rare stuff is a different story. if anyone is paying over $2000 for a common 1603 it should hopefully be with sharp factory edges, tight bracelet and a serviced movement.
Old 27 July 2016, 06:44 AM   #12
thenewguyguys
"TRF" Member

Should a 1603 from 71 glow for like 5-10sec then fade away?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160726_223756_01.jpg (79.3 KB, 215 views)
Old 27 July 2016, 06:48 AM   #13
oldLeatherNeck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Depends on the tritium mix. The early 60's tritium, then you can still see faint glow after exposing it to light source; however, you wouldn't see the same effect with the latter 70s - 90s tritium plots.
oldLeatherNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 09:09 AM   #14
janice&fred
Banned

the watch looks great...

Quote:

the watch looks great and i don't see any problems with it at all. if the price is right then grab it and then hunt down a nice jubillee for it
Old 27 July 2016, 09:11 AM   #15
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

looks good a bit expensive but a sigma dial which is nice
Old 27 July 2016, 10:12 AM   #16
janice&fred
Banned

yes true

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
looks good a bit expensive but a sigma dial which is nice

yes true it's a bit expensive as the OP mentioned the asking price in his first post. however upon thinking about it since the OP is in Sweden and perhaps wants to see his potential purchase in the flesh before buying then i guess all of our info on pricing in the USA and elsewhere is moot. Sweden may have limited supplies of older date justs for sale? anyways it's a great looker and hopefully the seller will break price a bit since there is no bracelet and the OP can source one here on TRF
Old 27 July 2016, 12:24 PM   #17
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
sir with all due respect this topic is about common dialed datejusts like the OP pictured. rare stuff is a different story. if anyone is paying over $2000 for a common 1603 it should hopefully be with sharp factory edges, tight bracelet and a serviced movement.
Well, maybe! But, many factors come in to play when pricing watches. Although I really don't care for these "how much is a worth" threads, an important factor to remember when pricing a watch is the location of the seller. Prices vary in different parts of the country and the world. Overhead determines pricing as well as the seller/dealer's reputation as well as the attributes of the watch.

$2500-$2800 for a nice vintage Datejust complete with bracelet is well within the market conditions. Dealers wholesaling watches at WWT and NAWCC shows do so for a reason...they have show expenses and inventory to move to the dealers. The comment regarding the NAWCC Show last week, that I attended also, is not a fair depiction of retail pricing. You won't be selling retail at any watch shows that I've attended unless the watch is very rare and in demand. If you are buying within 10% of the market retail for a particular model, you have to ask yourself is it worth the effort to keep shopping to save a few hundred dollars for a comparable model.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2016, 01:27 PM   #18
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Prices vary in different parts of the country and the world. Overhead determines pricing as well as the seller/dealer's reputation as well as the attributes of the watch.
I agree and thought I addressed that.

Quote:
Dealers wholesaling watches at WWT and NAWCC shows do so for a reason...they have show expenses and inventory to move to the dealers. The comment regarding the NAWCC Show last week, that I attended also, is not a fair depiction of retail pricing. You won't be selling retail at any watch shows that I've attended unless the watch is very rare and in demand.
I disagree. Every watch I asked about seemed to be full retail to me.
I saw a lot of wholesale buyers, but I don't think I saw any wholesale sellers. But that may just be a difference of opinion in the definition.

Quote:
If you are buying within 10% of the market retail for a particular model, you have to ask yourself is it worth the effort to keep shopping to save a few hundred dollars for a comparable model.
I agree, and the first watch I bought (a Speedmaster), I thought I paid over retail. It was pre-internet and they are just not available in my area. But I asked myself, how much would it cost me to find the watch otherwise. I figured it was a wash.

Springer, are you the guy that bought a fuschia insert with bezel? Just trying to put a face to the name.
Old 27 July 2016, 01:52 PM   #19
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
I agree and thought I addressed that.

I disagree. Every watch I asked about seemed to be full retail to me.
I saw a lot of wholesale buyers, but I don't think I saw any wholesale sellers. But that may just be a difference of opinion in the definition.

I agree, and the first watch I bought (a Speedmaster), I thought I paid over retail. It was pre-internet and they are just not available in my area. But I asked myself, how much would it cost me to find the watch otherwise. I figured it was a wash.

Springer, are you the guy that bought a fuschia insert with bezel? Just trying to put a face to the name.
Not me but the the dial guy from California that had that glued in fuchsia - and no, I didn't buy it. I believe he goes by First Class Dials on ebay. I'm old enough to be his grandfather!!! I didn't set up at NAWCC.

By the way, if you think all the watches were full retail, I'm living in a different world my friend. Glad you had a great time.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 27 July 2016, 02:43 PM   #20
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

The young guy sold the insert, the guy I was refering to was much older, if you were his grandfather, well, I dont think you would be with us right now.

Quote:
By the way, if you think all the watches were full retail, I'm living in a different world my friend. Glad you had a great time.
Well, like we both said different location, different overhead. I cannot put out a $1,000 watch and sell it were I am at. Texas on the other hand, well they don't call Rolex the Texas Timex for nothing.
Outside of watch shows, Ebay is about the only market available to me. So, I consider that market price. And the items I looked at were generally over ebay prices.

In the past I have only set up at the NAWCC, but I did both. And my sales were down 35%-40%. Over 50% if you want to talk about the peak. Most of the sellers I talked to thought it was the slowest National yet. And I have got to say the most disorganized.
Unfortunately, next year, Arlington is to far for me. Should be an easy drive for you though.
Old 27 July 2016, 03:06 PM   #21
springer
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=MILGAUSS88;6883651]The young guy sold the insert, the guy I was refering to was much older, if you were his grandfather, well, I dont think you would be with us right now.

Well, like we both said different location, different overhead. I cannot put out a $1,000 watch and sell it were I am at. Texas on the other hand, well they don't call Rolex the Texas Timex for nothing.
Outside of watch shows, Ebay is about the only market available to me. So, I consider that market price. And the items I looked at were generally over ebay prices.

In the past I have only set up at the NAWCC, but I did both. And my sales were down 35%-40%. Over 50% if you want to talk about the peak. Most of the sellers I talked to thought it was the slowest National yet. And I have got to say the most disorganized.
Unfortunately, next year, Arlington is to far for me. Should be an easy drive for you though.[/QUOTE

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
I drove 825 miles to Louisville. Arlington,TX is nothing for you.

The guy that originally had the fuchsia for sale is from Florida. He is definitely not a youngster. He sold it to the guy from First Class Dials.

The NAWCC organization at the nationals was terrible. My first show and last.

Old 28 July 2016, 05:54 AM   #22
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I sold a buncha stuff at the NAWCC. I was selling at sub-wholesale, just wanted some spending money for parts and sich. Yes, there were the typical douches selling at market or slightly above or slightly below. Hey, you don't go full-time internet watch seller without the requisite personality. What I hadn't counted on were the really young sellers who all wanted last week's Rolex at sub-wholesale and were disappointed that I didn't have none.

Tags
datejust , rolex , vintage