The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 22 August 2019, 08:12 AM   #1
pierson
"TRF" Member

Help - 1655 Dial Question ~ Did I make a bad purchase?

Ok, so I just bought this 6m serial number 1655. The seller admitted that the second hand is wrong (should have the dot), but stated that the dial is original.

In my (extremely) amateur research, this looks like a Mk2 Dial (“T SWISS T”, without rail lettering), but I also read that those dials are for earlier models up to 5.5m serial...

Am I ok? Or should I be questioning my purchase (well reviewed seller).

Thanks in advance for the help! Love this community
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 08FBCB85-3755-46D0-931A-10E041BD2038.jpeg (286.7 KB, 1299 views)
pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 08:29 AM   #2
TurboWatch
"TRF" Member

That dial is not a MK 2. It's a MK 1 which was found in watches up to around 3.5 mil serial.
TurboWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 08:37 AM   #3
pierson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWatch View Post
That dial is not a MK 2. It's a MK 1 which was found in watches up to around 3.5 mil serial.

Thanks! So, I assume, that’s a bit problematic when the case has a 6,xxx,xxx serial number.... arg

Unless there is real value in that dial and straight second hand?
Old 22 August 2019, 08:38 AM   #4
TurboWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierson View Post
Thanks! So, I assume, that’s a bit problematic when the case has a 6,xxx,xxx serial number.... arg

Unless there is real value in that dial and straight second hand?

You've got a MK 1 dial, MK 2 bezel on a 6 mil case. You know what you have to do :)
TurboWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 08:47 AM   #5
pierson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWatch View Post
You've got a MK 1 dial, MK 2 bezel on a 6 mil case. You know what you have to do :)

Thank you, TurboWatch!! I really appreciate the help
Old 22 August 2019, 09:16 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Looks like one other bidder really caused you some pain.

Without him, you would have gotten it for a more appropriate price, given the mis-matched parts. Very attractive watch to wear in any case.
Old 22 August 2019, 09:38 AM   #7
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Everything could be OK .... except the serial number. There were sometimes MK1 dials with MK2 bezels, and the straight hand is correct on the MK1 dial, of course.

But the value plummets because of the serial number, which is a shame.

What did you pay, if you don't mind me asking? And can you return the watch for a refund?

Just for comparison, here is my MK2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1655 TRF.jpg (284.0 KB, 1241 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:08 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I think this was the Matthew Bain eBay auction, which ended at about $18k. The sweep hand was disclosed to be incorrect for the serial number, but the dial was not, in fact it very clearly says "original dial", which is incorrect. So even though it was a no return auction, I think that the buyer could make a case to return it if he wants to.
Old 22 August 2019, 02:35 PM   #9
bob78h
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I think this was the Matthew Bain eBay auction, which ended at about $18k. The sweep hand was disclosed to be incorrect for the serial number, but the dial was not, in fact it very clearly says "original dial", which is incorrect. So even though it was a no return auction, I think that the buyer could make a case to return it if he wants to.
I thought Matthew Bain was considered a relatively well known vintage dealer. Surprising they'd miss that. But then again, they sold me a service case Sub which they said was unpolished, which ended up being clearly re-cut.
bob78h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 08:02 PM   #10
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, ‘original’ can mean different things in the world of vintage. It without doubt original Rolex, but not original to this watch. At that money, I’d expect all to be original (or as close to) as possible. As is well-known, the 1655 had many variations in a relatively small amount of time and finding an all-original piece is a struggle.
Old 23 August 2019, 12:11 AM   #11
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Unfortunately, ‘original’ can mean different things in the world of vintage.
This is absolutely true, but if you look at the context, it's clearly an omission, since the comment about the dial being original is in the exact same sentence as the comment about the second hand being incorrect. It's also sort of bizarre that the listing mentions that the correct second hand should be "Mercedes" style, which is clearly ridiculous, but maybe just an innocent slip. Still, it makes you wonder who is handling these eBay listings, since Matthew Bain himself would certainly know better.

Here is the relevant part of the listing, the boldface is added by me for emphasis:

----------------

Brand: Rolex

Model Number: 1655

Model: Explorer II

Material: Stainless Steel

Function: Time, Date, 24 Hour Hand

Dial: Original Dial, please see pictures. The “Straight second hand is not correct for this year”

Movement: Automatic, cal 1570

Case Size: Approximately 40mm

Condition: Excellent, Some light wear and case polish, Please see pictures.

Notes: Comes on Rolex Heavy Oyster Bracelet with “580” end links and 78360buckle, will fit an 8 Inch wrist. Very rare model often called the “Steve McQueen” or Freccione. 6,004,XXX serial number. This watch has the rare “straight second hand” however it is too late to have this hand, it should have the “Mercedes” hand. The watch is running, however it is not keeping accurate time, service is recommended, sold as is.
Old 23 August 2019, 01:22 AM   #12
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Bain gets some serious watches, but on another forum in regards to a Zentih a386, a forum member purchased a386 with a caseback that was totally incorrect. I believe he did offer a refund, but between that and this thread, that’s three watches with “issues” and watches with issues can be find, as long as it’s disclosed and reflected in the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 01:54 AM   #13
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhknola View Post
Bain gets some serious watches ...
I think it's fair to say that he doesn't put his best pieces up for auction on eBay.
Old 23 August 2019, 02:13 AM   #14
Gmt21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1665
MB sold me a SD as all original. Hands turned out relumed. I got a refund however. Then I saw the same watch relisted as all original a few months later. I called them out on it and they changed the listing.
Gmt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 02:30 AM   #15
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I agree with all the above, I think Bain uses ebay to unload the non-alpha stuff.

Miami is a big city and odds are he probably pays the best for good vintage in that market. I would not be surprised if other smaller watch dealers will bring him several watches for a package deal and the great stuff goes on his own website or is sold through his alpha watch network and the other watches he starts at 99 cents and sells with no reserve auctions.

Nothing wrong with how he is selling on ebay, but he should pick up on the irregularities that other people find before he lists the watch on ebay. In fairness to him, we are all human and make mistakes and three watches that I have heard about with issues he has offered full refunds on them all, so at least he is stand up in that regard.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 02:39 AM   #16
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Shady dealer in my book...sell relumes and franken watches and hope your too stupid to notice...
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 02:50 AM   #17
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Matt will make it right if necessary. I would just try to source a correct case and switch. I’m sure theres one around with service parts. Then you have one nice early 1655 and a cheap donor watch with service parts.

Lesson is to read up before buying. It could however be much, much worse.
Old 23 August 2019, 03:09 AM   #18
1665fan
"TRF" Member

So spend another 10-15k to make the watch you want??? I will pass....
Old 23 August 2019, 03:15 AM   #19
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
So spend another 10-15k to make the watch you want??? I will pass....
Well.. It is potentially a pretty nice straight hand. Each to their own if it is worth the trouble. It is a way to fix a bad decision without losing money. It could be a cheap and nice early ExpII.
Old 23 August 2019, 03:50 AM   #20
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Since he’s a good guy I would send it back to him so he can sell it to a rookie or someone who won’t ever come on this forum and they can just enjoy it
Old 23 August 2019, 09:00 AM   #21
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is absolutely true, but if you look at the context, it's clearly an omission, since the comment about the dial being original is in the exact same sentence as the comment about the second hand being incorrect. It's also sort of bizarre that the listing mentions that the correct second hand should be "Mercedes" style, which is clearly ridiculous, but maybe just an innocent slip. Still, it makes you wonder who is handling these eBay listings, since Matthew Bain himself would certainly know better.

Here is the relevant part of the listing, the boldface is added by me for emphasis:

----------------

Brand: Rolex

Model Number: 1655

Model: Explorer II

Material: Stainless Steel

Function: Time, Date, 24 Hour Hand

Dial: Original Dial, please see pictures. The “Straight second hand is not correct for this year”

Movement: Automatic, cal 1570

Case Size: Approximately 40mm

Condition: Excellent, Some light wear and case polish, Please see pictures.

Notes: Comes on Rolex Heavy Oyster Bracelet with “580” end links and 78360buckle, will fit an 8 Inch wrist. Very rare model often called the “Steve McQueen” or Freccione. 6,004,XXX serial number. This watch has the rare “straight second hand” however it is too late to have this hand, it should have the “Mercedes” hand. The watch is running, however it is not keeping accurate time, service is recommended, sold as is.

This is my point exactly. There are very few trustworthy people.
Old 23 August 2019, 09:16 AM   #22
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Just to be clear, I'm not jumping to the conclusion that any error in the listing was intentional. In fact, since the incorrect seconds hand was disclosed, I would lean towards the conclusion that the person who wrote the listing may not have realized that the dial was incorrect. My point was simply that this error would be sufficient to justify a return by eBay rules, although it seems that the seller is perfectly willing to take the watch back with no trouble.
Old 23 August 2019, 11:21 AM   #23
pierson
"TRF" Member

Thank you all!!

FYI - seller did right by me. All good!! All right.
Old 27 August 2019, 01:38 AM   #24
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Just to be clear, I'm not jumping to the conclusion that any error in the listing was intentional. In fact, since the incorrect seconds hand was disclosed, I would lean towards the conclusion that the person who wrote the listing may not have realized that the dial was incorrect. My point was simply that this error would be sufficient to justify a return by eBay rules, although it seems that the seller is perfectly willing to take the watch back with no trouble.
I wouldn't let the seller off the hook this easily. Bain is a longtime dealer, and very knowledgeable. This was a very sloppy listing with important details seemingly omitted on purpose. Not cool.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 03:19 AM   #25
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I wouldn't let the seller off the hook this easily. Bain is a longtime dealer, and very knowledgeable. This was a very sloppy listing with important details seemingly omitted on purpose. Not cool.
Tis’ The norm for a lot of big Dealers it seems,Buy the Seller mantra is fading quickly.A lot of uneducated Buyers get burnt by this fallacy because it’s a big name,It’s good to go.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 03:37 AM   #26
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Shady dealer in my book...sell relumes and franken watches and hope your too stupid to notice...
"you're"

Case in point.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 07:11 AM   #27
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmt21 View Post
MB sold me a SD as all original. Hands turned out relumed. I got a refund however. Then I saw the same watch relisted as all original a few months later. I called them out on it and they changed the listing.
So your the 4th watch, that we know of. How many don't we know of.
Sounds like MB operates by the catch me if you can mantra.
Not cool by any means as he is or was regarded as a reputable dealer.
He may be knowledgeable but reputable is a big question mark in my book.

And I don't buy the excuse that it slipped by him. His name is on the store front, he should make sure he or his people don't put this type of stuff up for sale without proper disclosure.

Issuing refunds don't make it 100% right either. It just makes it that he's not an outright crook.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 08:53 AM   #28
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post

And I don't buy the excuse that it slipped by him. His name is on the store front, he should make sure he or his people don't put this type of stuff up for sale without proper disclosure.

Issuing refunds don't make it 100% right either. It just makes it that he's not an outright crook.
Correct !

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 02:22 PM   #29
SC1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree. That’s a deceiving description from people who know better. I don’t know much, but if you can’t count on a pro to describe a piece accurately, no matter if it’s one of their Best pieces or looser Ebay pieces, then I think they are running a shady biz.

SC1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 02:25 PM   #30
SC1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierson View Post
Thank you all!!

FYI - seller did right by me. All good!! All right.

That’s good to know. But the fact that you had to discover stuff they should have disclosed is just not right. They are playing the percentages. They refund/correct the ones that complain but how many do they get away with. A but of a shame in my opinion. I am glad it worked out for you. I almost bought that watch !

SC1966 is offline   Reply With Quote