The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 March 2012, 10:12 PM   #31
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Maybe, I also read Lennon had a Patek, but I forgot which model. The search is on for which if any George wore.

I checked off a long awaited bucket list item last year. I saw McCartney play lie in Las Vegas last year. I had said for years the only group I ever wanted to see live were The Beatles. It broke my heart when they broke-up. Last year I woke up and decided I better move on the opportunity and make sure I saw Paul. Absolutely fabulous, who else could play 3 straight hours of their own material and it was huge hit after huge hit.

Their influence as artists and their abilities in crafting great music just cannot be denied.
he's great indeed!

i live in st johns wood where paul has lived forever and ever. i run past his house on my jogging trips. one day i hope to see him, might ask him about the Aquanaut and if he fancies a trip to the pub to discuss over a pint or three... not gonna happen but still

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayttona View Post
I was planning on buying it from an AD brand new. I don't even mind waiting a few months (as long as it's 'months' and not year(s)). Any ideas what the typical wait would be for this watch?
no idea mate, if i was buying one i'd hit up my guy in the States who sorted me out with the Aquanaut. could be quite a bit cheaper..
Old 26 March 2012, 10:16 PM   #32
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
he's great indeed!

i live in st johns wood where paul has lived forever and ever. i run past his house on my jogging trips. one day i hope to see him, might ask him about the Aquanaut and if he fancies a trip to the pub to discuss over a pint or three... not gonna happen but still

Remember to tell Paul I said Hi.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2012, 11:04 PM   #33
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Are Pateks really hand made? They sell way too many watches for that to be plausible. The only reference I have seen to Lennon wearing a Patek is on Jakes Patek blog, but its too blurry to make out. Anyway, they have some great looking models.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2012, 11:40 PM   #34
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

Handmade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
Are Pateks really hand made? They sell way too many watches for that to be plausible. The only reference I have seen to Lennon wearing a Patek is on Jakes Patek blog, but its too blurry to make out. Anyway, they have some great looking models.
Handmade by robots!

You'll find few if any references to hand finishing in any of the Patek literature.

Back to the original question - why are they so expensive?

Largely as a result of an incredible marketing drive. Lange have equal or better quality for a substantially lower price, but still vastly more than Rolex.

On to the relative merits of Patek - you are paying for incredible finishing. It's hard to explain unless you have seen a movement under a 10x loupe. The 5x loupes used by sales staff don't really pick out the details that separate a Patek from say a JLC or Omega.
Old 26 March 2012, 11:52 PM   #35
herbie911
"TRF" Member

There is really no comparison between Rolex and Patek. It's like comparing Seiko and Rolex. Having to pay a lot more doesn't mean you got a better product! You can say a Seiko Diver Quartz probaby more robust and accurate than a Rolex Sub C. But why do we wish to own a Rolex? Similarly, does a Mont Blanc pen writes better than a Parker?
There are lots of other factors in play!
herbie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2012, 12:22 AM   #36
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie911 View Post
There is really no comparison between Rolex and Patek. It's like comparing Seiko and Rolex.
I get your point but there's nothing wrong with Seiko... and the Credor Grande Sonnerie is more than many Pateks and one of my grails.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2012, 02:36 AM   #37
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Actually - they are hand assembled and hand finished and if you go to their website you will find info attesting to that. In fact better yet here is the link below. There clearly is a reason their watches are considered the top in the world as you don't get there by chance. Have a great day all!

http://www.patek.com/contents/default/en/design.html

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2012, 02:39 AM   #38
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Actually - they are hand assembled and hand finished and if you go to their website you will find info attesting to that. In fact better yet here is the link below. There clearly is a reason their watches are considered the top in the world as you don't get there by chance. Have a great day all!

Thanks again for stopping by Ken.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 March 2012, 02:45 AM   #39
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Thanks again for stopping by Ken.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 27 March 2012, 03:07 AM   #40
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
To add to Uncle Ken's post, if one is brave or lucky enough to venture into the Patek minute repeater world you can rest assure that Thierry Stern has personally tested your timepiece before it lands on your wrist! So rest assured that no matter what Patek piece you are blessed to own that one will receive an extraordinary piece of horology to enjoy for many, many years! Now that is customer service!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120326_125758-1.jpg (93.1 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg 20120326_130316-1.jpg (50.1 KB, 340 views)

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2012, 03:10 AM   #41
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremStar View Post
To add to Uncle Ken's post, if one is brave or lucky enough to venture into the Patek minute repeater world you can rest assure that Thierry Stern has personally tested your timepiece before it lands on your wrist! So rest assured that no matter what Patek piece you are blessed to own that one will receive an extraordinary piece of horology to enjoy for many, many years! Now that is customer service!
Now that's cool.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 March 2012, 05:18 PM   #42
herbie911
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I get your point but there's nothing wrong with Seiko... and the Credor Grande Sonnerie is more than many Pateks and one of my grails.

I didn't say there is anything wrong with Seiko. I got two Seiko watch to wear when I do my gardening and swimming. It is technically one of the best watch manufacturer out there but it is not one of the more desirable watch maker out there. Don't think any reputable auction house like Christie would like to have one in their catalogue!
Old 27 March 2012, 07:02 PM   #43
Adam K.
Banned

Watch: All the Oysters
Lennon had a beautiful Ref. 2499 in yellow gold, as I recall.
Adam K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2012, 09:06 PM   #44
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam K. View Post
Lennon had a beautiful Ref. 2499 in yellow gold, as I recall.
Thanks Adam.

In fact I just checked Jakes Blog and thats the one he said Lennon had.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 28 March 2012, 12:21 AM   #45
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:

TY Ken!!!!
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2012, 09:23 AM   #46
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Not trying to be funny here but the link takes me to a single statement that says Patek use hand finishing. Interesting that there's no further information about exactly what that entails.

I have both the hardcover catalogue and the "Patek Seal" book and there is no elaboration on exactly what hand finishing is applied.

This is in stark contrast to Lange who go to great lengths to show what is actually done by hand. The lack of detail provided by Patek is illuminating.

The view of old men hunched over the movement polishing with bits of wood is certainly not correct. If they are truly producing over 20,000 manual movements a year they would need an army of staff to hand finish the watches.

A 10x loupe view of the anglage on my 5296 shows marks left by the powered dremel type tool used. Why are they considered the best? Well the anglage on my 1943 ref 96 is mirror polished, before dremel tools even existed. It was this hand craft that made Patek's reputation.

I'd love to know what hand finishing is applied to a 'normal' Patek like a Calatrava or Annual Calendar. Are the perlage applied using cnc controlled equipment similar to the way geneva stripes are applied?

I love my Pateks but it annoys me when I hear about hand finishing but it's never explained exactly what is done by hand.....
Old 30 March 2012, 10:04 AM   #47
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswatch View Post
Not trying to be funny here but the link takes me to a single statement that says Patek use hand finishing. Interesting that there's no further information about exactly what that entails.

I have both the hardcover catalogue and the "Patek Seal" book and there is no elaboration on exactly what hand finishing is applied.

This is in stark contrast to Lange who go to great lengths to show what is actually done by hand. The lack of detail provided by Patek is illuminating.

The view of old men hunched over the movement polishing with bits of wood is certainly not correct. If they are truly producing over 20,000 manual movements a year they would need an army of staff to hand finish the watches.

A 10x loupe view of the anglage on my 5296 shows marks left by the powered dremel type tool used. Why are they considered the best? Well the anglage on my 1943 ref 96 is mirror polished, before dremel tools even existed. It was this hand craft that made Patek's reputation.

I'd love to know what hand finishing is applied to a 'normal' Patek like a Calatrava or Annual Calendar. Are the perlage applied using cnc controlled equipment similar to the way geneva stripes are applied?

I love my Pateks but it annoys me when I hear about hand finishing but it's never explained exactly what is done by hand.....
Perhaps you should contact Patek directly and ask them if it truly annoys you. I agree with you also on Lange who make incredible watches. The only problem with Lange is they drop like rocks on secondary market with awful resale value. Clearly this isn't an issue for Patek. I also own ALS -- of course bought it slightly used so paid a little less than half of retail price. Regardless of what degree is hand finished or assembled for Patek the end result is nothing short of spectacular in most cases.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 30 March 2012, 12:39 PM   #48
InTime
Banned

classic ringo. haha
InTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2012, 02:46 PM   #49
skyedog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
skyedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2012, 04:10 PM   #50
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
I didn't say there is anything wrong with Seiko. I got two Seiko watch to wear when I do my gardening and swimming. It is technically one of the best watch manufacturer out there but it is not one of the more desirable watch maker out there. Don't think any reputable auction house like Christie would like to have one in their catalogue!
You might want to do a bit of research on Grand Seiko and Credor... Go on, Google these!
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2012, 09:09 PM   #51
Java
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I really don't understand why a Van Gogh sells for so much more money than a Picasso.

Picasso uses much more expensive and advanced paint and the canvas is much thicker.

Am I missing something
Old 1 April 2012, 09:39 PM   #52
herbie911
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuloa View Post
You might want to do a bit of research on Grand Seiko and Credor... Go on, Google these!
I know they do great watch or even really expensive one! So does brand like Hublot!

The new Mclaren is a great car but for most car nuts, they will rather go for the 458 Italia!
Old 2 April 2012, 03:09 AM   #53
Roxas
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
I know they do great watch or even really expensive one! So does brand like Hublot!
Don't know why you compare Seiko and Hublot. Anyway, IMO Grand Seiko and Credor are of the highest quality. Some models even rival Patek Philippe and other top brands in terms of quality and finishing.
Roxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2012, 03:36 PM   #54
herbie911
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxas View Post
Don't know why you compare Seiko and Hublot. Anyway, IMO Grand Seiko and Credor are of the highest quality. Some models even rival Patek Philippe and other top brands in terms of quality and finishing.
You are driving me mad! Hard to believe people who are educated enough to buy luxury watch can't understand simple analogy! I am not disputing the price and quality of your beloved Seiko watch but for sheer desirability for an average watch nut like me, I will never spend half a million pound on a non-PP/AP/VC watch.

Hublot, Cartier do manufacture watch that cost in the region of $500000. Just like Seiko, they have their own 'fanatical' fans as well.

Get you brain round the painting analogy which I think is a brilliant way to sum it up if you are not into cars!
Old 3 April 2012, 03:28 AM   #55
Roxas
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Hublot, Cartier do manufacture watch that cost in the region of $500000. Just like Seiko, they have their own 'fanatical' fans as well.!
I don't know much about Hublot and Cartier. However, the point is not the price.

Have you ever seen Credor Spring Driver Sonnerie or Minute Repeater? Maybe you would change your opinion of Seiko.

Also, if you look carefully into GS without preconceptions, you should notice the quality that is of the highest standard.
Roxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2012, 06:06 AM   #56
herbie911
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxas View Post
I don't know much about Hublot and Cartier. However, the point is not the price.

Have you ever seen Credor Spring Driver Sonnerie or Minute Repeater? Maybe you would change your opinion of Seiko.

Also, if you look carefully into GS without preconceptions, you should notice the quality that is of the highest standard.
Old 3 April 2012, 06:52 AM   #57
HL65

Not sure what the above back and forth has to do with Rolex and Patek comparison?

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 3 April 2012, 07:25 AM   #58
J. Alan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not sure what the above back and forth has to do with Rolex and Patek comparison?
Hey Ken, the word Seiko is certainly stirring up a hornet's nest lately, eh!!

Don't push the button!

Hoopla!!!

J. Alan
J. Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2012, 09:00 AM   #59
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Alan View Post
Hey Ken, the word Seiko is certainly stirring up a hornet's nest lately, eh!!

Don't push the button!

Hoopla!!!

J. Alan

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 3 April 2012, 09:42 AM   #60
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

this is getting hilarious!

Just to stir the pot I have to say Van Gogh definitely used thicker paint than Picasso!

Anyway, back to the original posters question - why are Patek seen as the pinnacle?

A long track record of producing watches deemed to be at the height of watchmaking craft.

Agree or disagree with the conclusion, the statement is fact.