The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 April 2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Are Pateks collectible?

Are Pateks collectible in general? Or are there certain models that you look out for?

The reason I ask is that I was looking through Henry Grave's auction through Sotheby and he has watches that he bought for $40K which are valued at $200K...

is this a general theme for most PPs?

Say - the Nautilus. In 20 years, will it command a high price?

Just wondering. Thanks!

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2012, 08:32 PM   #2
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
Pateks are the most collectable IMHO
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2012, 08:33 PM   #3
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
You better believe they are--all depends on reference. The highly sought after discontinued models like the 3970,5970, 5070's, 5131 with Cloisonne dial, 5074 repeaters, tourbillon's etc. all trade at significant premiums to their retail prices. Of course any of the limited rare pieces fetch hefty premiums--do a search and you will find many!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2012, 08:38 PM   #4
rnrmbs
"TRF" Member

Difficult question.

The Nautilus is a very sought after watch, my guess is it all depends on production numbers. But a serious collector would opt for the original 3700 Jumbo, as they see that refnr. as the true Nautilus, with that very special movement and the lack of a second hand. For myself I don't look at it that way. I just love the Naut for its looks, and its place in history. I own a 3700 but would seriously consider a swap with a brand new one if that would cross my path.
Old 28 April 2012, 08:28 AM   #5
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmbs View Post
Difficult question.

The Nautilus is a very sought after watch, my guess is it all depends on production numbers. But a serious collector would opt for the original 3700 Jumbo, as they see that refnr. as the true Nautilus, with that very special movement and the lack of a second hand. For myself I don't look at it that way. I just love the Naut for its looks, and its place in history. I own a 3700 but would seriously consider a swap with a brand new one if that would cross my path.
I've read an interview with Thierry Stern in which he was saying that he was controlling the Nautilus's production to avoid having a "ordinary" watch on the market, therefore it seems like some gray dealers are selling them for a price that is sometimes higher than MSRP.

As for the original question, I would say that the Grandes Complications and the Complications are highly collectable but overall all the models will keep their value (that is, if they aren't getting more expensive through the years), the brand will always be considered a grail among collectors and enthusiasts.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmbs View Post
The Nautilus is a very sought after watch, my guess is it all depends on production numbers. But a serious collector would opt for the original 3700 Jumbo, as they see that refnr. as the true Nautilus, with that very special movement and the lack of a second hand.
I tend to agree with that, although that raises another question: if you cannot find a proper one, or wouldn't want to spend your money on a vintage 3700 model, and so you want to buy a brand new Nautilus, then I wonder which one may be the one that has the highest chance of becoming a rare, collectible model in the future? The 5711 is a sought-after model which is hard to find readily available at an AD or a Patek Boutique, but I'm not sure with all the vintage 3700's the 5711 would ever become such a grail as the 3700. The 5980 is on stock at several ADs, so I don't think its production is limited enough to become a rare watch in the future. How about the 5712 and 5726? Did anyone hear about their sales figures? Maybe Patek manufactures considerably less number of those references than of the 5711+5980? Maybe the 5726 is the model that would one day become a collector's piece?

BTW, IMHO what the Nautilus collection is missing is a perpetual calendar. If Patek ever produces such a reference, for only 4-5 years, with very limited annual production numbers, then that model will have a chance to become the most collectible Nautilus ever, beating even the mighty 3700. Let's hope 2016 (40th Nautilus anniversary) will bring that watch
Old 29 April 2012, 07:54 AM   #7
paverman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post

BTW, IMHO what the Nautilus collection is missing is a perpetual calendar. If Patek ever produces such a reference, for only 4-5 years, with very limited annual production numbers, then that model will have a chance to become the most collectible Nautilus ever, beating even the mighty 3700. Let's hope 2016 (40th Nautilus anniversary) will bring that watch
I agree with the notion of a perpetual Nautilus. That will be a special addition to anyones collection. In regards to "rarity" of Pateks, I think that's a relative question. All PP's are rare compared to brands such as Rolex. With annual production rates around 40 -50 k, and half of those being the quartz 24, most of the references are "rare". When you look at the grand complications and their limited numbers, you really have a true collector item.
paverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2012, 08:09 AM   #8
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Nobody knows what will be collectible in the future. Vintage complicated/chrono Pateks are very hot at the moment in comparison to Vacheron & Constantin as it were. For a high risk pay off, I would go for the latter
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2012, 08:24 AM   #9
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
Nobody knows what will be collectible in the future. Vintage complicated/chrono Pateks are very hot at the moment in comparison to Vacheron & Constantin as it were. For a high risk pay off, I would go for the latter
Actually Daniel all of the ones I listed above are extremely collectible and already sell for well over retail. I imagine that will only increase over time as not many of them were made and the demand is super high.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 29 April 2012, 08:28 AM   #10
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Actually Daniel all of the ones I listed above are extremely collectible and already sell for well over retail. I imagine that will only increase over time as not many of them were made and the demand is super high.
Oh yes, I agree! Patek is indeed top dog when it comes to collectability. I'm just saying that V&C is very competitively priced if they were to sky-rocket. All speculation of course.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2012, 08:29 AM   #11
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
Oh yes, I agree! Patek is indeed top dog when it comes to collectability. I'm just saying that V&C is very competitively priced if they were to sky-rocket. All speculation of course.
Understand...

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT