The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 17 May 2010, 12:05 PM   #1
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
My Granfather's pocket watch

Hello everyone,
My Grandmother passed two weeks ago, and I was given my Grandfather's pocket watch, along with his coin collection. The watch is an Waltham, made in the 20's-30's and looks almost brand new inside and out, the dial, hands, and movement are flawless, it's a BIG pocket watch. Considering it's age, I was surprised it still worked. I know the oils are long gone, but we wound it so it would run for about an hour, and it ran as brand new. I need a watchmaker that can disassemble, oil, and polish it inside and out. I am getting quotes here in Ga, of $400.00, which seems steep, but maybe not. Also, i have no experience with their work, and would obviously like a good job done, (I am pretty anal with my Rolexes). The detail and engraving are stunning on the movement! Any good watchmakers that work on old pocket watches? I have no problem shipping out of state, just want a really great job, that is most important.

Thanks,
David
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Big_S
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 LN
Perhaps this topic would get more replies in the Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum. But to answer your question no I don't know any watchmakers in GA. $400 does sound high; I would definitely shop around. You may even be able to check yelp, or just ask the watchmaker for references. I am not familiar with Waltham, but I can definitely empathize. My grandfather passed on in 2005, actually on May 20 (anniv. is only a few days away), and he left me his South Bend pocket watch. I had it worked on, and had the plastic crystal (?, not sure if this is the correct term, it seems like a bit of an oxymoron) replaced with an original glass one to fully restore it. If the watchmaker didn't consider me family, I think it would have been around $250. I live in cali, so I would expect his overhead to be higher than a watchmaker's in GA. Based on that, and since I know he doesn't cut corners on his work, I can't really see where another $1500 would be going to fix up yours. But who knows, maybe your parts are harder to source, rarer, yadda, yadda... Good luck on your restoration, and I wish you and your family my condolences during this difficult time; may your grandfather rest in peace.
Big_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2010, 12:15 AM   #3
tgoose1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Hi David,
Give Rob a call, you will not be dissapointed--quality person as well as watchmaker.

Rob Carter
1104 Sourmash Dr.
Kingsport, TN. 37660
423-378-4607
rob@pocketwatchrepairs.net
tgoose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2010, 01:02 AM   #4
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Would love to see some pictures of it!
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
I charge 250 for pocket watch service with new mainspring. Send it on down you won't be dissappointed. Rik
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoose1 View Post
Hi David,
Give Rob a call, you will not be dissapointed--quality person as well as watchmaker.

Rob Carter
1104 Sourmash Dr.
Kingsport, TN. 37660
423-378-4607
rob@pocketwatchrepairs.net
I called Rob, and he asked who you are. He seemed perfect. Has he done work for you?
Old 19 May 2010, 12:19 PM   #7
tgoose1
"TRF" Member

David,
Rob in fact has done work for me in the past with excellent results. I'm about to send him several railroad grade Waltham's/Hamilton's for minor repair, cleaning, and regulation. Genuinely a nice trustworthy guy to deal with. Sounds like you have a fine heirloom to bring back to life. What a great way to honor and remember your grandfather by getting the watch professionally overhauled, regulated, and running within specs. With the proper work done on her, you will be surprised just how accurate some of these magnificent old timepieces perform. I have several pocket watches that are occasionally carried, and easily stay within Rolex chronometer/cosc specifications.

Best of luck with your watch!
Old 20 May 2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoose1 View Post
David,
Rob in fact has done work for me in the past with excellent results. I'm about to send him several railroad grade Waltham's/Hamilton's for minor repair, cleaning, and regulation. Genuinely a nice trustworthy guy to deal with. Sounds like you have a fine heirloom to bring back to life. What a great way to honor and remember your grandfather by getting the watch professionally overhauled, regulated, and running within specs. With the proper work done on her, you will be surprised just how accurate some of these magnificent old timepieces perform. I have several pocket watches that are occasionally carried, and easily stay within Rolex chronometer/cosc specifications.

Best of luck with your watch!
Thanks for the referral, I am sending him my Grandfather's watch. It's a high jewel Waltham, and Rob sounds like the guy to send it to.

Thanks again,
David
Old 26 June 2010, 05:35 AM   #9
tgoose1
"TRF" Member

Have you received your watch back from Rob, if so how's it doing?
Old 27 June 2010, 02:57 PM   #10
tgoose1
"TRF" Member

Bump
Old 27 June 2010, 03:40 PM   #11
tgoose1
"TRF" Member

Bump 2X
Old 28 June 2010, 12:13 PM   #12
tgoose1
"TRF" Member

Bumpiddy Bumb Bump...
Old 30 June 2010, 05:53 AM   #13
tgoose1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl View Post
Thanks for the referral, I am sending him my Grandfather's watch. It's a high jewel Waltham, and Rob sounds like the guy to send it to.

Thanks again,
David
How did it go?