The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 December 2020, 01:42 PM   #1
Caesium Al
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Precious Cargo - Could this be another “Transporter” movie?

Precious Cargo - Could this be another “Transporter” movie?

My jeweller asked if I was willing to travel 250 miles (round trip) today to drop off a fragile clock for repairs. He felt that sending it by courier could be risky. There was also other precious cargo involved.

I shaved my head to try to look like Jason Statham. It did not work out, but my wife’s friend thought I looked like Yul Brynner. Not bad!!!

I was not faced with the usual movie villains, of course, but there were risks involved. Snow was forecast. Should I use the 17 year old All Wheel Drive German car with snow tires? Would it make the trip? The wheel bearings are getting a bit noisy... or should I take the new Jeep? Short wheel base, no snow tires, not good to escape from danger and harder to shoot from at highway speeds (this is a joke).

I chose the snow tires and left at 6:15am. After dodging a few deer and dealing with the usual motorists who tailgate and refuse to lower their high beams, I got onto the freeway. With mostly semi trucks at speeds governed just above 60 mph, I set the cruise control at their speed and had a relaxing drive. No snow yet.

I met an old friend for coffee near my destination. Car to car, of course, to obey COVID protocols. I entrusted my friend with guarding my car and cargo and picked up the coffee and breakfast. (A rare Starbucks visit for me... not my favorite...). I left $5 to help pay for the person behind me, to soften him up in case he was planning on stealing my precious cargo. No snow yet.

Following my meeting I made all of my necessary stops. I dropped off the clock, still in one piece. I also dropped off two watches. A Rolex GMT from approximately 1980 that I helped my jeweller acquire. (He did very well at $5000!). And a Rolex Air King. Both for routine service.

I also picked up, for the return trip, some very precious watches... a late 90s two tone sub. Totally restored by Rolex. It looks brand new and magnificent! The other was a mid 1970s 5513. The 5513 only got the movement serviced. The only new parts added were seals to help with water resistance. (And perhaps a mainspring).

I placed the subs in two of my zippered coat pockets. The one restored by Rolex was in a small green pouch. The 5513 in bubble wrap. Now I could leave my car unattended if I needed to. Snow started.

I began my return trip. This cargo seemed more valuable to me than on the first trip. Old Sub with even creamy looking lume and Gold Sub vs Clock, GMT and Air King? I think so...

Slippery roads were no match for my careful driving with winter tires and all wheel drive. But what about other motorists? First snow... the pickup truck drivers with their powerful engines and aggressive manners could be a problem.

Just as I approached the freeway overpass, a pickup truck pulled out in front of an oncoming SUV. The SUV entered my lane and everything seemed to slow down into slow motion... then the oncoming driver made the right choice by returning into its own lane. The result? The pickup truck was clipped with minor damage evidenced by a dislodged rear view mirror.

After meeting certain civic needs at the scene of the collision, I entered the highway and resumed my trip. I took an early exit due to slippery conditions and low visibility. The country roads were quiet and easy to navigate.

Finally, I returned the precious cargo to my jeweller. My reward? Well, the 5513 is mine and I am relieved that It remains unmolested. My trip was also self serving. I preferred to pick it up instead of having it sent by courier just a few days before Christmas.

I am planning on wearing it every last day of 2020.

So, not a very exciting movie after all. But I am happy!

Best wishes to all!

Caesium (element 55) Al (element 13).

Ps: I have pics but am not able to upload without getting some type of App. You are all avid Rolex fans and can picture the watches, no new App for me.
- [ ]
Caesium Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2020, 02:28 PM   #2
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2020, 05:21 PM   #3
RolexEDC
"TRF" Member

Nice late night read when I’m up thinking about watches.
RolexEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 03:30 PM   #4
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Great story - thanks OP

And nice nickname too

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 05:48 AM   #5
Caesium Al
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513