The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 September 2020, 04:52 PM   #1
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Next Pen - Franklin Christoph?

So my collection of two fantastic pens (Pekilan M600 and Pilot Vanishing Point Decimo) is temporarily down to one fantastic pen.

Sadly the Pelikan has broken in half and at the moment the cost to repair isn't economical (they're asking $260 - $100 of which is just for shipping). I'll be waiting until I can get back to the UK to have it repaired at a cheaper price.

This leaves me looking for a new pen, especially as I've already bought two watches this year and the next won't be until next year now.

I've seriously considered a Meisterstuck 146 but I struggle with the price point and also the fact that my Decimo is already black resin and I'd like a bit of colour.

Enter Franklin Christoph. I'm considering the Model 20 as the proportions seem quite nice. The Vintage Green looks especially nice.

Has anybody any experience with these? How do they compare to other well known pen brands? More importantly, are they worth the money?

Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 09:01 AM   #2
Vron
"TRF" Member

No relation, just a happy customer.
I have multitude of pens from several major and many exclusive boutique brands (US, European, Indian, Japanese) , ranging from 5.00 USD to 5000.00+ USD each.

F-C Offers some of the best customer service, hands-down. No other brand, pen brand has been able to show me such tender care which F-C demonstrates.

Their pens are not flashy so don't project power which sometimes folks want, but they make amazing workhorse pens in interesting designs. Every pen, before shipment, goes thru a series of QC checks and is tuned to each customers liking. If you don't like what you got, send it in to be tuned to your liking or return anything within 30 days for full money back. Also, every pen comes with a lifetime warranty.

If you are new to FPs or are returning to FPs after several years, then i whole heartedly recommend trying them out. Also check out Edison pens and Newton pens; they offer similar levels of tender loving care. Also check out Rayan Krusas's creation for a mid-tier pens in interesting design and materials.

Don't shy away from Steel nibs. They can be better than gold in many instances. Unless you're looking for pens which write as a paintbrush like vintage flex pens did. Even that can be done using steel and many vintage makers did indeed use steel for spencerian nibs. But we keep coming back to gold for no other reason but to stroke our egos :)

You'll avoid expensive mistakes and will have help as you start or re-start your Fountain Pen hobby. You'll have good help to support along your initial steps to ensure you have a pleasurable experience and don't throw away your pens in anger :)
Then again, I did not start like this but rather bought expensive pens and made expensive mistakes along the way.
I did enjoy my journey, including my mistakes; so you are welcome to choose your path :)
Vron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 06:00 AM   #3
eec007
"TRF" Member

Also a happy FC customer here. I have the Model 20 in a special blue resin that I purchased at a pen show a few years ago. The variety of nibs to choose from at FC is what makes it so appealing to me, in fact I have three nibs for my Model 20. The pens are quite simple, not flashy, but well made. Be sure you're okay with that since it has a different aesthetic from a Montblanc 146.
eec007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 09:46 AM   #4
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Franklin Christoph's are very good for the money!

Keep poking around and you will be be just as poor as the rest of us! 👌🤣👌

But what a useful hobby!

After collecting for above 35 years, there is no more a satisfying hobby! So many avenues! Journaling, writing, capturing your thoughts every day with the most beautiful writing instruments ever created, not to mention the inks and all that goes along with them!

As far as fountain pens as an investment, that is another consideration. Regardless, purchase them for their joy. Use them for their history and desirability. Write on.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 06:35 AM   #5
DrStrangluv
"TRF" Member

Very good for the money, their optional specialty nibs are a must upgrade. Their medium and fine cursive italics are just delightful and one of my all time favorites. Granted that you are aware how an italic nib differs from conventional round nibs, that is.
DrStrangluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 04:58 PM   #6
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

A little bit of a delayed response here, but I just wanted to thank everyone for their helpful comments.

I was fortunate enough to land one of the Antique Glass 02 models yesterday during their new release so i'm really looking forward to receiving that.

I chose the steel Medium Stub (Nagahara grind) and also added a standard fine nib to the basket.

Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote