The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 January 2021, 04:02 AM   #1
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I Got my First Vaccine Dose Yesterday

I got an email from the local VAMC earlier this week announcing that the vaccine would be available for those 65+ and to give them a call.

So, I called and they were in a state of bureaucratic chaos, but the next day I got to schedule my appointments, one yesterday and the next on February 5th.

As noted by others who've been inoculated, my shoulder is tender at the site of injection, but that's pretty par for the course. At one time in my life or another, I've been inoculated for everything under the sun, so no big deal.

It took about an hour and 20 minutes to get the shot and wait out the 30 minute observation period.

It was a drive-through operation, so it wasn't the worst of experiences that I"ve endured at a VA facility. In fact, it was a lot better than being jammed into a waiting room in the hospital.

It was the Pfizer vaccine by the way.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 04:04 AM   #2
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

When you get it, do they automatically schedule the next one, or how does that work?
Old 17 January 2021, 04:57 AM   #3
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
When you get it, do they automatically schedule the next one, or how does that work?
The two appointments were scheduled at the same time, and also, both appointments were scheduled for the same time of day to avoid confusion, I was told.

All in all, a very smooth operation, so far.

Old 17 January 2021, 04:59 AM   #4
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Great news. I just got my second yesterday. But I'm most excited that my parents got scheduled for next Tuesday for their first doses. We made a deal we wouldn't get together until we were all vaccinated, and after a long year, we are almost there!
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 05:02 AM   #5
Speedfreek28
"TRF" Member

I got my second dose last week and just wanted to let everyone know that I recommend taking some Tylenol prior to bedtime. I woke up early the morning after my shot and felt feverish. After the fever, I just felt like crap throughout work but eventually felt better the next day. Just an FYI. I recommend, if possible, taking off the day after your second shot.
Speedfreek28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 05:06 AM   #6
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I am trying to find a site for my 87 year old mother to get her shot, but it is proving a nightmare. EVERY site within 500 miles of her retirement community (Mesa Arizona) shows full calendars to make an appointment through the end of the year. It’s ridiculous and frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: And congrats Grady, I am glad you are now protected
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 05:36 AM   #7
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I am trying to find a site for my 87 year old mother to get her shot, but it is proving a nightmare. EVERY site within 500 miles of her retirement community (Mesa Arizona) shows full calendars to make an appointment through the end of the year. It’s ridiculous and frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: And congrats Grady, I am glad you are now protected

Old 17 January 2021, 05:37 AM   #8
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Be well GP
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 05:39 AM   #9
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreek28 View Post
I got my second dose last week and just wanted to let everyone know that I recommend taking some Tylenol prior to bedtime. I woke up early the morning after my shot and felt feverish. After the fever, I just felt like crap throughout work but eventually felt better the next day. Just an FYI. I recommend, if possible, taking off the day after your second shot.
I feel fine and my temperature right now is 97.8, which is normal for me.

What vaccine did you get. I had Pfizer.

Edit: I just remembered that I take a dose of a night-time cold preparation every night to help with sinus problems, and also as a sleep aid, that contains acetaminophen, so that might be why I feel okay today.

Old 17 January 2021, 05:40 AM   #10
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Be well GP
Thank you, sir!

Old 17 January 2021, 05:46 AM   #11
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

I live in Westchester, NY and received the first Moderna dose on 1/13 in the Bronx! Seems that all appts in Westchester are booked and lucky to get a time slot in the Bronx. While doing the 15 min wait, I sched my second visit for 2/10.

Some states do not have the second dose scheduled when you take the first shot. I have a son in LA, got the first shot, but they don’t schedule you yet for the second yet. Every state is different.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 05:47 AM   #12
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'm glad to hear you got it, Grady! My fingers are crossed that a lot more can be added to this list in the coming months across the globe.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 05:52 AM   #13
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I received my 1st dose yesterday also. They rescheduled me for the second one in 28 days. I received the Moderna vaccine.

I read the Pfizer second dose is after 21 days and the Moderna one is 28 days.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 05:54 AM   #14
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:

Anyone have any ideas?
Have you been trying at the county run locations or at the drug stores? I think Walgreens and CVS are doing them. Also, there might be someone coming to the retirement area to do shots.
Old 17 January 2021, 05:58 AM   #15
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Ok, now I’m jealous! I haven’t gotten one and don’t expect to for a while since I am not in any of the preferred categories, but I just read that around 14 Million Americans have received the shot. This is not as many as they had hoped but the logistics issues and scheduling (etc) are being worked out, so the numbers accelerate and climb every day. THAT is the only good news about this $(@ing virus I have heard since last March.
Old 17 January 2021, 06:03 AM   #16
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Have you been trying at the county run locations or at the drug stores? I think Walgreens and CVS are doing them. Also, there might be someone coming to the retirement area to do shots.
I did, there is an Pharmacy about a mile (literally) from my mom’s community. Their site shows absolutely no available slots through the end of the year, even though it is listed on the Maricopa County Government website as an open providing location. I actually went in there and spoke with them, and showed them on my phone the .Gov site listing them as a supplier. They didn’t know a thing about it and said they don’t have the facilities (I.e. a freezer capable of keeping the vaccine at - 50 degrees below zero) to support the vaccine.

I left more frustrated and dejected and my faith in the government’s plan was at an all time low. If this is the situation in other areas (as I’m sure it is) no wonder the US is falling far short of its posted goals for delivery.
Old 17 January 2021, 06:28 AM   #17
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
I did, there is an Pharmacy about a mile (literally) from my mom’s community. Their site shows absolutely no available slots through the end of the year, even though it is listed on the Maricopa County Government website as an open providing location. I actually went in there and spoke with them, and showed them on my phone the .Gov site listing them as a supplier. They didn’t know a thing about it and said they don’t have the facilities (I.e. a freezer capable of keeping the vaccine at - 50 degrees below zero) to support the vaccine.

I left more frustrated and dejected and my faith in the government’s plan was at an all time low. If this is the situation in other areas (as I’m sure it is) no wonder the US is falling far short of its posted goals for delivery.
Got my mother signed up through one of the hospital sites the other day, but that was down here in Tucson. Keep looking Paul. There's a lot of early confusion on the local level right now. Seeing it happen all over the country,
Old 17 January 2021, 06:30 AM   #18
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Ok, now I’m jealous! I haven’t gotten one and don’t expect to for a while since I am not in any of the preferred categories, but I just read that around 14 Million Americans have received the shot. This is not as many as they had hoped but the logistics issues and scheduling (etc) are being worked out, so the numbers accelerate and climb every day. THAT is the only good news about this $(@ing virus I have heard since last March.
Old 17 January 2021, 06:41 AM   #19
Cru Jones

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 06:51 AM   #20
Speedfreek28
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I feel fine and my temperature right now is 97.8, which is normal for me.

What vaccine did you get. I had Pfizer.

Edit: I just remembered that I take a dose of a night-time cold preparation every night to help with sinus problems, and also as a sleep aid, that contains acetaminophen, so that might be why I feel okay today.
Same. Pfizer.
Speedfreek28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 06:58 AM   #21
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Got my mother signed up through one of the hospital sites the other day, but that was down here in Tucson. Keep looking Paul. There's a lot of early confusion on the local level right now. Seeing it happen all over the country,
This is the absolute truth.

When I called the VAMC the day that I got the email and couldn't get through, I called the operator and he said that he had no idea what was going on as he just heard the news five minutes before I called.

They did manage to get it rolling quickly, though.

It's bound to get better as all the providers get more organized.

Old 17 January 2021, 07:03 AM   #22
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Awesome news Grady.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 07:05 AM   #23
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Awesome news Grady.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I'm glad to hear you got it, Grady! My fingers are crossed that a lot more can be added to this list in the coming months across the globe.
Thank you, good sirs.

Old 17 January 2021, 07:18 AM   #24
saxo3
"TRF" Member

You all mean "Pfizer-BioNTech" and not "Pfizer"
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 07:22 AM   #25
sickened1

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Glad you got it and hope everything goes well for you Grady.

I was just reading about the tragedy in Norway regarding Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine (link).
sickened1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 07:48 AM   #26
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
I got an email from the local VAMC earlier this week announcing that the vaccine would be available for those 65+ and to give them a call.

So, I called and they were in a state of bureaucratic chaos, but the next day I got to schedule my appointments, one yesterday and the next on February 5th.

As noted by others who've been inoculated, my shoulder is tender at the site of injection, but that's pretty par for the course. At one time in my life or another, I've been inoculated for everything under the sun, so no big deal.

It took about an hour and 20 minutes to get the shot and wait out the 30 minute observation period.

It was a drive-through operation, so it wasn't the worst of experiences that I"ve endured at a VA facility. In fact, it was a lot better than being jammed into a waiting room in the hospital.

It was the Pfizer vaccine by the way.
Grady your just out there making Pfizer antibodies as we speak. Good on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
ok.. ok ... saxo3 ... "Pfizer-BioNTech". We get it. Credit to BioNTech is acknowledged. Someone other than Pfizer was involved... jeez....

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 07:57 AM   #27
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Grady your just out there making Pfizer antibodies as we speak. Good on you.

ok.. ok ... saxo3 ... "Pfizer-BioNTech". We get it. Credit to BioNTech is acknowledged. Someone other than Pfizer was involved... jeez....
Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Old 17 January 2021, 07:59 AM   #28
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
I saw the vial that the dose came from, but Pfizer was all I could make out in the second or so it was visible, so thanks for setting that straight.

Is there another Pfizer COVID vaccine?

Old 17 January 2021, 08:03 AM   #29
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickened1 View Post
Glad you got it and hope everything goes well for you Grady.

I was just reading about the tragedy in Norway regarding Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine (link).
Thanks.

I've survived 24 hours, so I'm hoping that everything goes well from here on out.

I'm in pretty good health and far from being frail.
“We are not alarmed by this,” Steinar Madsen, medical director with the agency, told Norwegian broadcaster NRK. “It is quite clear that these vaccines have very little risk, with a small exception for the frailest patients.”

“Doctors must now carefully consider who should be vaccinated,” he added. “Those who are very frail and at the very end of life can be vaccinated after an individual assessment.”

https://nypost.com/2021/01/15/23-die...id-19-vaccine/

Old 17 January 2021, 08:05 AM   #30
saxo3
"TRF" Member

I Got my First Vaccine Dose Yesterday

Quote:
Is there another Pfizer COVID vaccine?
No.
The COVID-19 vaccine was developed in a collaboration between BioNTech (Mainz, Germany) and the US pharma giant Pfizer.

BioNTech (Biopharmaceutical New Technologies) is a small German company with about 1400 employees. Their main mission or aim is to develop a medicament against cancer.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote