The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2011, 07:36 AM   #1
PeterT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 16710 16600
Just done the London Tour

I have just returned home to the Midlands after doing the London tour. The only thing I brought back with me is sore feet and the train broke down on the way home!
I suppose the highlight is Bond Street and the Burlington Arcade with all of the second hand watches. All of the places selling new watches are much the same. I can see them in my local AD anytime. The assistants in Harrods are always ken to have a chat.
Grays antique market has a few dealers with interesting stock. I could see that Second Time Around had an unworn SD with the stickers in place.
There was not not much that I took a fancy to as lots of polishing has been going on in the main preowned places with the bracelets taking a real beating in an attempt to make them appear new again.
I suppose my biggest disappointment was at Armor Winston where there was an F serial 16610LV - one of the first. The bezel was too green and the 4 of 40 just came to a point like the font on here. Obviously a late model insert had been fitted that removed originality. Maybe beware if you have an early model LV and you need a new bezel insert. Is it possible to specify the original colour and font style with Rolex?
I wish that prices would be displayed so you can make an informed judgement rather than the assistant sizing you up and then coming up with the price after you have asked.

On another note I always like to try out new venues and so I made the trek to The Heart of Hatton Gardenthat had been suggestedon another forum. Found the watch sellers stalls but the sellers were absent. Looked at the mediocre offerings and then left!!
I am sorry to spoil the party here but I expected better, maybe with the sort of stock level displayed at Second Time Around!

On a final note the vintage watch shop in Burlington have a 20% discount sale at the moment but why are most of the watches displayed on leather straps?

Cheers,
Peter
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 08:12 AM   #2
Newportkrieger
Banned

Watch: GMT Master Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I have just returned home to the Midlands after doing the London tour. The only thing I brought back with me is sore feet and the train broke down on the way home!
I suppose the highlight is Bond Street and the Burlington Arcade with all of the second hand watches. All of the places selling new watches are much the same. I can see them in my local AD anytime. The assistants in Harrods are always ken to have a chat.
Grays antique market has a few dealers with interesting stock. I could see that Second Time Around had an unworn SD with the stickers in place.
There was not not much that I took a fancy to as lots of polishing has been going on in the main preowned places with the bracelets taking a real beating in an attempt to make them appear new again.
I suppose my biggest disappointment was at Armor Winston where there was an F serial 16610LV - one of the first. The bezel was too green and the 4 of 40 just came to a point like the font on here. Obviously a late model insert had been fitted that removed originality. Maybe beware if you have an early model LV and you need a new bezel insert. Is it possible to specify the original colour and font style with Rolex?
I wish that prices would be displayed so you can make an informed judgement rather than the assistant sizing you up and then coming up with the price after you have asked.

On another note I always like to try out new venues and so I made the trek to The Heart of Hatton Gardenthat had been suggestedon another forum. Found the watch sellers stalls but the sellers were absent. Looked at the mediocre offerings and then left!!
I am sorry to spoil the party here but I expected better, maybe with the sort of stock level displayed at Second Time Around!

On a final note the vintage watch shop in Burlington have a 20% discount sale at the moment but why are most of the watches displayed on leather straps?

Cheers,
Peter
Probably becuse they can take the bracelets, refurbish them and sell them seperately. Its a case of where the sum of the parts; watch + bracelet , is greater than the whole.
Newportkrieger is offline   Reply With Quote