The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 April 2011, 11:23 AM   #1
rosspanics
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp2, Exp1
New Chicago Rolex Boutique (Tourneau)

Was in Chicago today and got to stop by the opening of the new Rolex Boutique on Michigan Ave, its owned/ operated by Tourneau. (Next to Cartier.) Pretty cool, very similar to Vegas. Good selection of all of the colors/ metals/ sizes/ etc... Salespeople seemed pretty "new", although apparently today was opening day. Anyways, something to put on your list next time you're in the Windy City...
rosspanics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 11:32 AM   #2
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
Tourneau, bringing greasy used car salesman tactics to a boutique near you...
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 11:35 AM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Thanks for letting us know. I saw the store when I was there a couple of weeks ago, of course it had not opened yet. I did however visit the Tourneau down the street in the Water Tower. Didn't have such a good experience there, Tourneau isn't always the best place to actually purchase a watch.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 11:44 AM   #4
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Will certainly check it out the next time I am in Chicago, purchase there.... certainly NOT but nice place to look around IMO
Old 21 April 2011, 12:10 PM   #5
rlpolo694
"TRF" Member

I was in there today and it was very nice. Very good selection and I did not get the tourneau vibe at all, everyone was very nice and not pushy. (The GM even came out of the back to talk with me for a bit) Defiantly worth a trip if you find yourself in Chicago anytime soon!
rlpolo694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

If you're in Chicago metro and want to talk Rolex there are far better places to go; AD's where the staff are knowledgable and you get real customer service. With Tourneau you get to hold your ankles and are given a dollop of KY for your privilege.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 12:29 PM   #7
ddnyc77

I think one is opening in NYC too. I think its on the same block as NY RSC but is also on the same block as a Tourneau location.
ddnyc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 12:32 PM   #8
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
agreed!!!!!

Last edited by sleddog; 21 April 2011 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Removal of quote!
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 01:15 PM   #9
rosspanics
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
If you're in Chicago metro and want to talk Rolex there are far better places to go; AD's where the staff are knowledgable and you get real customer service. With Tourneau you get to hold your ankles and are given a dollop of KY for your privilege.
Absolutely. For instance, I had a great experience at Sidney Garber today. Tourneau is definitely not the best place to buy, but this new Boutique is a fun place to look.
Old 21 April 2011, 01:16 PM   #10
rudegar
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40 Pt
The one in SF has a great selection. I go there to window shop but I will very likely buy from my local suburban AD who I dont want to harass with all my "visiting". (besides they don't have as good a selection to browse through).
rudegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 01:27 PM   #11
moldowan

the tourneau in San Antonio is alright, probably due to the fact that Texans are friendly peeps to begin with. It's is a bit of a struggle to get good discounts from them though.
the last watch i bought from them was IWC 3717 and got 15% off, not bad for a very high demand watch. but in the last 4 year they missed out on over 100k of purchases that could have been thru there store but they were just to ridgid on price.
It is kind of satisfying to walk in with "another new" watch and have them see it and realilze they missed another sale!
the store used to carry ALL the marque brands... now they just lost IWC and only have Hublot, Breitling and Omega as their top brands at that location.... almost no need to even window shop there anymore :-(
moldowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 02:18 PM   #12
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Nice info... I'll be headed there shortly.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 02:24 PM   #13
rosspanics
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Thanks for letting us know. I saw the store when I was there a couple of weeks ago, of course it had not opened yet. I did however visit the Tourneau down the street in the Water Tower. Didn't have such a good experience there, Tourneau isn't always the best place to actually purchase a watch.
Did you see their pre-owned SS Daytona for the bargain price of $14,990?!?

Old 21 April 2011, 02:30 PM   #14
z0mghenry
"TRF" Member

Anybody had experience with the Tourneau in Atlanta? I'm actually looking to browse some Rolex and JLCs this weekend. If i'm going to get harassed like people are saying then I will find somewhere else.
z0mghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 02:40 PM   #15
ATH
Banned

Tourneau is the worst of the worst. I dropped by their store in Vegas last weekend- what a joke. I watched as they pissed one buyer off with a quote for his prospective trade-in- a WG daytona on bracelet. They wanted to give him rock bottom wholesale in credit for his watch and sell him a YG YMII for full retail (but save him the tax by shipping out of state). What a deal! The guy, who I could tell was one of us, laughed as he picked up his watch and walked out. Other than that, the store was completely dead. I listened as they tried to explain the recent upgrades to the Submariner line to another buyer who didn't know any better and the salesperson, who could barely speak English, had no idea what she was talking about. The Patek selection was near nothing with zero complicated pieces. The prices in the pre-owned case were worse than retail. The only thing I can figure out to explain how they stay in business is they must prey on first time mid to high end watch buyers who just don't know any better. My dad bought his first nice watch at their store in NY (a Patek 5022 Officer's Calatrava). He got screwed and I could have rung his neck when he came home with it. It was 1987 and he still loves the watch but never bought from them again.

Anyhow it is a nice place to kick tires.
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 03:18 PM   #16
onryo

Watch: GMT-Master II
I stopped by the Tourneau in Pentagon City (Arlington, VA) when I was in DC a few weeks ago. The only vintage Rolex they had was a '68 5513 with a terrible relume job and service hands for $8995. Thanks, but no thanks.
onryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 08:49 PM   #17
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosspanics View Post
Did you see their pre-owned SS Daytona for the bargain price of $14,990?!?

I saw a Daytona, but I didn't check out the price. Doesn't suprise me though. Hey it's a good place to window shop, but Tourneau really isn't a good place to buy a watch for me personally. I can do much better somewhere else.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 11:31 PM   #18
rosspanics
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I saw a Daytona, but I didn't check out the price. Doesn't suprise me though. Hey it's a good place to window shop, but Tourneau really isn't a good place to buy a watch for me personally. I can do much better somewhere else.
Agreed. Yeah, that was the price though. I told the saleslady I'd rather just have a new one for $10k and she told me that was "impossible". LOL...
Old 21 April 2011, 11:55 PM   #19
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosspanics View Post
Agreed. Yeah, that was the price though. I told the saleslady I'd rather just have a new one for $10k and she told me that was "impossible". LOL...
That is what I was told as well at the NYC Tourneau where they were sellng a used SS Daytona for $15,995. The lady literally told me good luck getting a new Daytona for under $11,000. They are unreal.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 12:26 AM   #20
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Wow... thanks for the update... i live not far from that store... always pass by and wonder when it would open. Now, I know. Will try to stop by next week to check it out.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 08:03 AM   #21
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
That is what I was told as well at the NYC Tourneau where they were sellng a used SS Daytona for $15,995. The lady literally told me good luck getting a new Daytona for under $11,000. They are unreal.
One could interpret that as her saying they mark up the prices of Daytonas when they come in, or are otherwise playing fast and loose with the rules, something I'm sure Rolex would be interested in. I wonder if they ever run "sting" operations to catch dealers discounting and marking up watches inappropriately.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote