The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 April 2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Question on my GMT II bought in 2001

I bought it at an very well known AD and it came with the black/red bezel.

They said it was actually called black/wine bezel. So my question is, is this the coke model or did the coke model come out at a later date? I switched the bezel to all black about 6 years ago and of course I can't find the original, is it possible to get the original one from an AD for this model ?? And would it effect the value of the watch if I ever sold it, including both of the bezels in the sale?
Thanks
mark

PS. one other question, the bracelet is kinda beat up with everyday wear, could I change it out without the value going down the drain?

Last edited by Runnin' Rebel; 21 April 2011 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: more 411
Runnin' Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGERVEGAS View Post
I bought it at an very well known AD and it came with the black/red bezel.

They said it was actually called black/wine bezel. So my question is, is this the coke model or did the coke model come out at a later date? I switched the bezel to all black about 6 years ago and of course I can't find the original, is it possible to get the original one from an AD for this model ?? And would it effect the value of the watch if I ever sold it, including both of the bezels in the sale?
Thanks
mark

PS. one other question, the bracelet is kinda beat up with everyday wear, could I change it out without the value going down the drain?
Yes, it is the "coke" model. Red (wine) and black bezels were sold on quite a number of Rolex GMTs over the years, and they are all referred to as the "coke" You should be able to purchase a regular coke bezel from an AD for ~$125. Some ADs will not do it, so shop around to find one that will. It really will not affect the value selling it with the 2 bezel inserts.

You say that the bracelet is "beat up". Deep dings/scratches? Loose, or excessive stretch? If it is just superficially scratched, it would be worth it to just get it lightly polished by a competent individual rather than replacement. A new bracelet will cost you ~ $1,000. It will not really affect resale value if you replace the bracelet with a new authentic bracelet.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 09:33 PM   #3
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Are inserts really $125 in the US??
Old 21 April 2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Yes, from most sources, but if you know the right guy, you can get em for much much less. No, that is not me...just what I have done

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 09:55 PM   #5
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Last one I got from RSC as part of a service was 41USD. Might have gone up a tad since then.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 10:16 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Last one I got from RSC as part of a service was 41USD. Might have gone up a tad since then.
Have to agree Mike some charge stupid money to those that are willing to pay, in the UK they were £26 around 9 months ago fitted.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 10:49 PM   #7
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree Mike some charge stupid money to those that are willing to pay, in the UK they were £26 around 9 months ago fitted.
Yes, but you fellas across the pond pay a much higher premium for the watches initially when they are purchased. They must feel sorry for you with the insert price

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 11:11 PM   #8
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Inserts fitted are in Norway about 125USD as well but its one of the most expensive countries in the world
KarlFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 01:15 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is no such thing as a "Coke" model..

This soft drink nick-name thing just started a few years ago for the traditional GMT II black/red........... I think that it is far from cutesy ...

.................... but I've all but given up on educating all you riff-raff ....

Last edited by Tools; 22 April 2011 at 03:50 AM..
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 01:39 AM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Yes, but you fellas across the pond pay a much higher premium for the watches initially when they are purchased. They must feel sorry for you with the insert price
Well some do but here is one guy that will not pay a premium price for anything.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 05:05 AM   #11
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Yes, it is the "coke" model. Red (wine) and black bezels were sold on quite a number of Rolex GMTs over the years, and they are all referred to as the "coke" You should be able to purchase a regular coke bezel from an AD for ~$125. Some ADs will not do it, so shop around to find one that will. It really will not affect the value selling it with the 2 bezel inserts.

You say that the bracelet is "beat up". Deep dings/scratches? Loose, or excessive stretch? If it is just superficially scratched, it would be worth it to just get it lightly polished by a competent individual rather than replacement. A new bracelet will cost you ~ $1,000. It will not really affect resale value if you replace the bracelet with a new authentic bracelet.
Thank you sir, and the bracelet is just scratched up pretty bad around the clasp, nothing a polish wouldn't take care,I guess. I was just wondering, thanks everyone. I like Coke better then Pepsi so I will get another insert that's black/wine. Like 2 watches in one.