The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2018, 07:40 PM   #1
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
Icon20 Is the Daytona really the pinnacle of Rolex SS professional sports models?

Hi Guys, obviously like most of you I am a pretty keen Rolex enthusiast, and as we all know the current state of play with trying to obtain any stainless Steele sports model from an AD is frustrating to say the least. But there is one model that seems to far outweigh the rest as far as closed waiting lists and ott resale prices and that model is the ceramic Daytona. So my question is, is this accolade justified? I mean, is this your grail ss pro sport model? If so why? And if not what model is? The sea-dweller 126600 will probably be a shorter run so rarer, the sky dweller is by far the most complicated Rolex so should this not take the crown? Just food for thought..
TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 08:19 PM   #2
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyS View Post
Hi Guys, obviously like most of you I am a pretty keen Rolex enthusiast, and as we all know the current state of play with trying to obtain any stainless Steele sports model from an AD is frustrating to say the least. But there is one model that seems to far outweigh the rest as far as closed waiting lists and ott resale prices and that model is the ceramic Daytona. So my question is, is this accolade justified? I mean, is this your grail ss pro sport model? If so why? And if not what model is? The sea-dweller 126600 will probably be a shorter run so rarer, the sky dweller is by far the most complicated Rolex so should this not take the crown? Just food for thought..
Any hierarchy is an illusionary construct. The only "crown" is the Rolex trademark, and all Rolex wear them. The Daytona is the pinnacle of nothing, it's just another Rolex.

Frankly, I find the desire of many to try and determine, establish, or lobby for what is the "best" model (which suggests there is some sort of objective hierarchy) pretty strange. Why, and why would anyone care?
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 08:31 PM   #3
GMT Aviator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Any hierarchy is an illusionary construct. The only "crown" is the Rolex trademark, and all Rolex wear them. The Daytona is the pinnacle of nothing, it's just another Rolex.

Frankly, I find the desire of many to try and determine, establish, or lobby for what is the "best" model (which suggests there is some sort of objective hierarchy) pretty strange. Why, and why would anyone care?
I agree. Whilst the Daytona maybe the pinnacle of Rolex ownership for some, for others it is not. It could be a simple OP.
If anything I would say the accolade for best Rolex puts the Datejust on top, and by a very wide margin.....but again....who cares?!
Buy, wear and enjoy what matters most to you.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 08:33 PM   #4
RazorD
"TRF" Member

All depends on the person. For scarcity, I’ve spoke to a few ADs that have said they get more SS Daytona’s than SS Skymasters.
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 08:33 PM   #5
Spoonage
2024 Pledge Member

I would not say that it it top dog. There are many out there that don't even like the Daytona. It's probably the most hyped because of the Paul Newman connection, it has a lower allocation (production), and is generally harder to get. Don't get me wrong it's a great watch and I have one, but not worth any premium. If I had to choose I would keep my BLNR over the Daytona and the rest of my current watch collection.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 08:33 PM   #6
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
To many Daytona seems to be important. I think it is beautifully made, but not that practical or useful. I prefer GMT models.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 08:34 PM   #7
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:

I also agree. A Rolex is a Rolex. Not much more to say on it lol.

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 08:37 PM   #8
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
It's certainly the hardest SS to obtain. That doesn't make it the pinnacle (or grail) at least for me. Great watch none the less.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 08:45 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s tough to argue against it due to it’s long waiting lists.

If the Daytona is produced in lower production numbers that would also contribute.

I suppose if the Submariner were produced in similar quantity as the Daytona, than it would be just as “rare” and probably king of the hill
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 08:46 PM   #10
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think that it is a matter of personal preference. I like the Daytona and have owned it in YG, RG, TT and SS. The hype surrounding the watch is just that. But it does not change the fact that it is the most sought after regular production SS Rolex now. I would love to see a Daytona II in 42 mm with the same style and design and an upgraded movement. That might be a yet to be released grail. For now, the SD43 checks all the boxes for me and has the appropriate size. To each their watch.

Last edited by 1William; 10 April 2018 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: spelling
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 09:12 PM   #11
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=597908
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 09:23 PM   #12
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I think it’s like the weather in the southern part of the state for which there is a race named for the city it is held at, from which the reference was named.

On one side of the street, it may be sunny.
On the other side of the street, it may be raining.
All depends on which side of the street you are standing.
.......and as quickly as just a few minutes, it can all change.

Basically, it’s all perspective.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 09:26 PM   #13
Watch Admirer
Banned

no
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 09:28 PM   #14
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This. Seems like there are many threads trying to establish one watch, usually the OPs, as the preeminent, hardest to find, most practical and otherwise most lust worthy Rolex while denigrating other popular models. Some strange effort to validate ones choices it seems. FWIW, love my DaytonaC, but it isn’t magical.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 09:42 PM   #15
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I have zero interest in the Daytona. Have put them on and always say "meh". I for one don't get the hype and have no desire to buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 09:47 PM   #16
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Would Daytona be as appreciated without the Paul Newman hype? What happens when people don't even know who that is? Is it even a factor now? I'm European under 40yrs and I have no connection to Daytona for the sake of Paul Newman.

For me Daytona just seems like a cool chronograph and I associate it to F1 and racing. Before I could afford Rolex I had Tag Heuer but now lusting after Daytona.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 09:47 PM   #17
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Would Daytona be as appreciated without the Paul Newman hype? What happens when people don't even know who that is? Is it even a factor now? I'm European under 40yrs and I have no connection to Daytona for the sake of Paul Newman.

For me Daytona just seems like a cool chronograph and I associate it to F1 and racing. Before I could afford Rolex I had Tag Heuer but now lusting after Daytona.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 09:54 PM   #18
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I think that it is a matter of personal preference. I like the Daytona and have owned it in YG, RG, TT and SS. The hype surrounding the watch is just that. But it does not change the fact that it is the most sought after regular production SS Rolex now. I would love to see a Daytona II in 42 mm with the same style and design and an upgraded movement. That might be a yet to be released grail. For now, the SD43 checks all the boxes for me and has the appropriate size. To each their watch.
I agree, I think the Daytona in a 42mm would be amazing. I have a particularly big wrist so 40mm watches just look to small. I’m also really excited to see the new Deepsea with the wider bracelet. I think it will wear a lot better
Old 10 April 2018, 09:55 PM   #19
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Not for me, no.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 10:00 PM   #20
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

I also, I think I should point out that at no point was I trying to establish a hierarchy within the Rolex models. In fact quite the opposite. I was trying get other enthusiasts input as to why the Daytona seems to be a wet dream for so many.
Old 10 April 2018, 10:02 PM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The Daytona is a rock solid chrono with an impressive pedigree, but it is just another fine Rolex of many. Its resale is the result of forced exclusivity by Rolex in limiting supply, as opposed to the other models now which are based on surging demand.

However the high resale starts to draw it into the sphere of the really big chrono boys, like the Lange 1815 chrono below and when you look at the beautiful, mesmeric movement you surely wonder why you'd pay such a premium on a Daytona. It's worth it's retail for sure but it's not in this Haute league at all.

http://www.timezone.com/2013/05/24/s...5-chronograph/
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 10:03 PM   #22
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Scarcity isn't a guide. My SD 116600 will be a relatively rare (I know it's not 'rare' so focus on the word 'relatively') watch in years to come, but that's simply because it was unpopular and so had a short production run.

Likewise, there will be more 116500's than 116519's - but that's simply because people probably don't see the justification in spending an addition £12k.

I think the Sky Dweller is a dog of a watch to look at, it holds zero appeal, but I believe most on here love it.

Pinnacle can be judged with some brands such as Patek and based on complications, I think that works, but with Rolex Sports Watches it's all about the individual. The pinnacle for me would be the Milsub, others might say the 6263, and others may simply say that a 116610 is all they've ever wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 10:08 PM   #23
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
maybe pinnacle isn't the right word, maybe just the coolest!

HAHA in reality to everyone has different taste and uses and to each his own

tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 10:12 PM   #24
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

Pinnacle of Rolex SS Sports Models? Oh my, just enjoy your watch and don‘t agonize over such stuff...
Old 10 April 2018, 10:16 PM   #25
zjd168
"TRF" Member

not in terms of popularity, that belongs to the black sub.

in terms of collectors' enthusiasm, it maybe
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 10:42 PM   #26
Romeojk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
maybe pinnacle isn't the right word, maybe just the coolest!

HAHA in reality to everyone has different taste and uses and to each his own

cool...and a cool picture too cool guy!
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 10:58 PM   #27
dmitrii_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorD View Post
All depends on the person. For scarcity, I’ve spoke to a few ADs that have said they get more SS Daytona’s than SS Skymasters.

Skymaster is so scarce because it doesn't exist

Your ad is lying

ig: therolexgram
dmitrii_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 11:05 PM   #28
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
One of the best chronographs out there, any brand, anywhere. IMO. The movement is spectacular.

That said, if you're not much of a chrono guy, that doesn't exactly make it the pinnacle.

The fact that it's selling at an $8k premium makes it something, though.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 11:08 PM   #29
Watch Admirer
Banned

no
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 11:12 PM   #30
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyS View Post
Quote:
pin·na·cle
ˈpinək(ə)l/Submit
noun
the most successful point; the culmination.
"he had reached the pinnacle of his career"
synonyms: highest level, peak, height, high point, top, capstone, apex, zenith, apogee, acme
"the pinnacle of the sport"
No
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote