The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old Today, 01:17 AM   #1
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Beloved pursuits you no longer pursue.

We've had a lot of threads about hobbies, passions, and pursuits, but today I'm wondering about ones you loved that are no longer a part of your life. Perhaps you'd simply done it enough. Maybe the body no longer says yes. Could be financial priorities changed. Whatever the reason.

For me, the two that jump to mind are golf and backpacking. For more than thirty years, these two activities made up a good chunk of my travel and vacation time. Nowadays, though, a balky knee and a temperamental back make the first impossible and the other no longer fun. There are several sports I can no longer take part in, but frankly, I don't even miss 'em. The golf and the trekking, though . . . . .
Old Today, 01:21 AM   #2
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Golf would be my big miss and something I need to get back into. The problem is knowing how well I’ve played in the past and struggling to hit those heights again would frustrate me
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:27 AM   #3
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Football (age), Tennis and Badminton (knees) and Motorcycling (other road users).

I miss my bikes the most.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:40 AM   #4
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Flying. Failed medical last year.
Maleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:44 AM   #5
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watches.

Prior to Covid I was working in an office environment and had a pretty large watch rotation. Sadly today, most of those watches have been sold off and I am currently down to one in the rotation. A Rolex Explorer and a few sentimental watches that dont get worn other than for special occasions since they are family heirlooms.
Old Today, 02:00 AM   #6
Mr. Drunmond
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
Golf would be my big miss and something I need to get back into. The problem is knowing how well I’ve played in the past and struggling to hit those heights again would frustrate me
I used to be about a 3 hdcp. With owning a business and family, i stopped playing for years other than maybe a scramble once a year for work.

I decided to pick it up again a few years ago. It was very frustrating, i could still get around the course and shoot a 82-85 on a good day, and for my friends i was still pretty good. But for me, i hated it. I gave it up, i just wasn't having any fun. And didn't have the time to practice enough to get back to single digits.
Mr. Drunmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:11 AM   #7
Beo3

Watch: Too Many
Motorcycles.

I sold my last one many years ago for lack of use, and to pay off some medical bills.

When the weather starts to warm (like now) I begin to think about buying another. But then I realize that I was fortunate enough not to have any major accidents and the thoughts quickly fade.
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:19 AM   #8
austinp
"TRF" Member

Working in my yard. When I was younger I spent a lot of time making my yard perfect. I’ve had a crew do it for about 15 years now. It’s ok but not how I did it. When I retire I’ll get back out there. Oh and play more golf!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:31 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I can relate to you Paul.

I spent far too much time on the golf course in my 30’s and 40’s. For me it’s the time factor. It takes about 6 hours to play a round taking in the time to get ready, get to the course, have a libation or two after the round ….

I just decided to dial it way back. It wasn’t fair to my wife or kids and to be honest, my regular group of golfers have what I would call an interesting social dynamic that I just need less of

All good, but I do miss it. I probably play once a month now which here in Canada works out to 4-5 rounds a year lol
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:54 AM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Myself was a avid scuba diver plus guide PADI,and BSAC instructor long retired now but I do miss the underwater world.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:22 AM   #11
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Golf here too. It used to be fun but it turned into a business/career necessity. Still have to play once in awhile but I’d rather do just about anything else in my free time.
HHIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:28 AM   #12
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Football (age), Tennis and Badminton (knees) and Motorcycling (other road users).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo3 View Post
Motorcycles.

I sold my last one many years ago for lack of use, and to pay off some medical bills.

When the weather starts to warm (like now) I begin to think about buying another. But then I realize that I was fortunate enough not to have any major accidents and the thoughts quickly fade.
I too miss riding. I got my minibike (gift) at 11, first motorcycle at 19, and sold my last one a few years ago. Just too scary with the distracted motorists, traffic, critters (I hit a deer once) and the general discomfort from aging body parts.

I test rode a BMW K1600GT last year, rode for about an hour, I really didn't hurt very much - great ergonomics - but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I thought I would. I didn't buy it, or anything else. Kind of sad.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:34 AM   #13
Easy E

Golf and IDPA. Best I ever got to was a 9. I went out end of last year for a round and it was hard not to be mad. I could see the shot, mind knew what to do, hands couldn’t put it together. I’m considering picking it back up but know how much work it will be to get a swing back and haven’t come to terms with that yet. Same goes for IDPA. I was a match a month, case of ammo in practice every month. Missed Master by less than 1 sec. It was just as bad for time consumption as golf. Kids, wife, and work ended that.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:57 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure my (now) much older body could handle the amount of effort it took to be at the pointy end of the grid. Was amazing fun for a couple of years, plus met many great guys at events (PLN, Brock, etc.) too.

00.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:57 AM   #15
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Long distance cycling (3+ hour rides, centuries, etc…). Simply do not have the time with the kids.

Also, telemark skiing. Cannot keep up with my kids on teles and it takes too much work to maitain the necessary brute leg strength.

Finally, male exotic dancing. No one really wanted to see that anyways.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:11 AM   #16
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Playing Pinball, Video games

But what I really miss my old model railway...
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:12 AM   #17
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Chasing women.

It used to be fun.

I’m too old and too tired for it now. I cannot stand the small talk necessary either.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:19 AM   #18
THC

Watch: 16610M
Women
THC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:31 AM   #19
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Obviously for me...hockey. Got to play for about 60 years but around 2020 had to pack it in. Bad knees.

I also sold my motorcycle last year because the roads in LA are tooooo dangerous. Had a great time riding in Wine country for 9 years though.

As for women, I never gave up on them, they gave up on me. They can be so fickle.
Old Today, 05:50 AM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Chasing women.

It used to be fun.

I’m too old and too tired for it now. I cannot stand the small talk necessary either.

You could try: “Excuse me, you’re attractive. Want to get down to business?”
Old Today, 06:34 AM   #21
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post

I rue the day when I am no longer on two wheels. I do see myself migrating solely to track days & no weekend warrior in the twisties... the risk/reward of that keeps getting lower.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:48 AM   #22
macluven
"TRF" Member

I miss riding my motorcycle too. Sold my last one about 10yrs ago after an accident from an idiot driver clipping my rear wheel and sending me down hill where I flipped off the bike. Thank God I wasn't seriously injured. The driver stopped to see if I would get up, once he saw me standing, he took off onto the highway. A buddy and I took a trip to Austin's Hill Country a couple of months after the accident, and I froze up on a left handed curve and went into on coming traffic. Luckily there were no cars coming from that direction. I was never the same after that.

I also miss playing guitar. I was never really particularly good at it, but loved playing. I really want to get back into it, but like a lot of people across the country, pickleball has taken over my life now.
Philippians 4:11–13
macluven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:22 AM   #23
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

You could try: “Excuse me, you’re attractive. Want to get down to business?”
I try that with my wife all the time and she just rolls here eyes and tells me to move along.
Old Today, 07:49 AM   #24
Jimmy 2 Times
"TRF" Member

I must be the only one that hated golf from the start. Bought clubs shoes cloths the bag everything. Got all excited about it. Didn’t even go to the range even though all me friends said it’s a must. I watched some videos on YouTube and figured I was good to go.

First round down here in Florida last spring was pretty hot. Got yelled at for not tucking in my shirt.
Why would I do that in 88 degree heat with 90% humidity and a UV index of 10?

Well after shooting an 88 I never wanted to play again. My back hurt and I hated everything about it so I sold everything this past spring.

I don’t really have a hobby I don’t do anymore.
Jimmy 2 Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:23 AM   #25
JSol1

Sailing…specifically owning a sailboat and spending every free moment on boats and around boats.

In 2021 we sold our last of 4 boats (I’ve been sailing since the age of 12). I enjoyed working on the boat myself and my wife was a willing partner, but we realized we were missing out on things that we wanted to do as we get older.

We sold it knowing that if we miss it, we can buy another and we have plenty of friends with boats (the best kind of boating). Turns out we don’t miss it one bit. In the end it just ran its course for us…
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:42 AM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I try that with my wife all the time and she just rolls here eyes and tells me to move along.

You’re not the only one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Today, 08:54 AM   #27
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
Sailing…specifically owning a sailboat and spending every free moment on boats and around boats.

In 2021 we sold our last of 4 boats (I’ve been sailing since the age of 12). I enjoyed working on the boat myself and my wife was a willing partner, but we realized we were missing out on things that we wanted to do as we get older.

We sold it knowing that if we miss it, we can buy another and we have plenty of friends with boats (the best kind of boating). Turns out we don’t miss it one bit. In the end it just ran its course for us…
My FIL is in Stamford with a 59ft Hinkley(?) that he spends all of his time on. I'm sure he'd take you out for the cost of lunch (oysters or lobster rolls, usually).

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:04 AM   #28
BETRNSX
"TRF" Member

I used to collect Scotty Cameron putters and head covers. Sold most of it off and don’t play much golf anymore. I still have one beautiful Studio Design XP6 putter.

https://www.scottycameron.com/archiv...n-6-prototype/
BETRNSX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:45 AM   #29
Kreyzhorse
"TRF" Member

Watch: "05" Air-King
Photography. Loved landscape, wildlife and macro photos.

Was an avid runner and biker up until a few years ago but it started to get hard on my joints. Took some time off, got divorced, remarried and short on time in the day.

Also an addicted shotgunner. Trap, sporting clays and 5 stand. Covid kind of killed that and didn't pick it back up.
Kreyzhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:49 AM   #30
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Chasing women.

It used to be fun.

Heard a comedian compare it to being like an old infielder.

"If it's hit right at me, I'll still make the play . . . . but I ain't diving for it anymore."