The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 October 2018, 08:32 AM   #181
jph4387
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kram View Post
I can find tons of special reserve and antique near me, but the 12 is difficult to find unless you want to pay stupid markups. Can I ask what you pay for the 12?

I pay retail. I think we could find a deal if you can help me source the other 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jph4387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 09:09 AM   #182
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph4387 View Post
I pay retail. I think we could find a deal if you can help me source the other 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
will PM you.
Mr Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 09:59 PM   #183
Malak
"TRF" Member

Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible 2019

http://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/20...9-the-winners/
Malak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 12:59 AM   #184
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member

What are other fellow members currently enjoying or collecting?
RLX_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 01:38 AM   #185
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLX_NY View Post
I enjoyed a couple Bourbons from my collection this weekend: Bib & Tucker 6 Year small batch and the Woodford Reserve Sherry Cask-finished.

I just picked up a bottle of Whistle Pig Old World Cask Finish rye that I'm looking forward to breaking out this weekend. Whistle Pig 10 Year Straight Rye is my typical go-to rye whiskey.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 01:48 AM   #186
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Look what I found at Vons!
I tried this Nikka Coffee Grain whiskey with some friends two weekends ago, and it was delicious. Obviously, it's a bit out in left field, but I like that the Japanese are willing to try these things that other distillers probably frown upon. It was enjoyable, to me.
Old 10 October 2018, 01:52 AM   #187
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by therolexguy View Post
Friday night’s sampling

Looks similar to my cabinet... Blantons is a great bourbon, I've got a new bottle sitting, waiting to be opened, and I have that Bulleit Barrel Strength, as well. That'll burn the hair off your tongue, for sure. Old Forester Prohibition-style whiskey is one of my favorites, as well, maybe I need to try some of the rest of their selections.
Old 10 October 2018, 02:01 AM   #188
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL. did you go through the thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
I enjoyed a couple Bourbons from my collection this weekend: Bib & Tucker 6 Year small batch and the Woodford Reserve Sherry Cask-finished.

I just picked up a bottle of Whistle Pig Old World Cask Finish rye that I'm looking forward to breaking out this weekend. Whistle Pig 10 Year Straight Rye is my typical go-to rye whiskey.
have you had the old world at all? they are finished in wine/port barrels. very different that regular whistle pig. i happen to like it. if you do like it, you may want to check out basil hayden dark rye. it's fortified with a touch of CA port. dangerously smooth and tasty.

Quote:
Looks similar to my cabinet... Blantons is a great bourbon, I've got a new bottle sitting, waiting to be opened, and I have that Bulleit Barrel Strength, as well. That'll burn the hair off your tongue, for sure. Old Forester Prohibition-style whiskey is one of my favorites, as well, maybe I need to try some of the rest of their selections.
don't waste your money on the other old forester. the 1920 is by far the best (IMO) and it's only marginally more expensive than their other offerings. of course, if you're at a bar that only offers the other stuff, have a taste.
Old 10 October 2018, 03:17 AM   #189
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
have you had the old world at all? they are finished in wine/port barrels. very different that regular whistle pig. i happen to like it. if you do like it, you may want to check out basil hayden dark rye. it's fortified with a touch of CA port. dangerously smooth and tasty.

don't waste your money on the other old forester. the 1920 is by far the best (IMO) and it's only marginally more expensive than their other offerings. of course, if you're at a bar that only offers the other stuff, have a taste.
I've had the Basil Hayden Dark Rye and loved it. Still have half a bottle sitting in my cabinet. BH Bourbon is my daily drinker, so I had to try that one when I saw it.
Old 10 October 2018, 03:19 AM   #190
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've had the Basil Hayden Dark Rye and loved it. Still have half a bottle sitting in my cabinet. BH Bourbon is my daily drinker, so I had to try that one when I saw it.
if that's the case, you will like the old world. also, have you tried the basil hayden two by two. saw it the other day, but didn't grab a bottle.
Old 10 October 2018, 03:46 AM   #191
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member

Kram, sorry still new here so can't quote directly due to post count but yes I did. I went thru the entire thread and happy to discover other people with like interests as me

I like discussing whiskey in general so I asked that question to get some conversation going plus also potentially discover new whiskey I may not know of that other members have tried or suggest such as the Weller 12 you and the other member mentioned. It looked interesting so after doing some reading last night now I'm on the hunt for a bottle or two, only to find NYC stores ridiculous markups of 250-500 per bottle

Have tried many more not currently on the list but my current cabinet consists of the following

Glenfiddich 21yrs
Glenfiddich Experimental Batch #01
Glenfiddich Experimental Batch #02
Glenfiddich Experimental Batch #03
Glenfiddich Experimental Batch #04
Syndicate 58/6
Lagavulin 16yrs
Laphroaig 10yrs
Bowmore 15yrs Darkest
Ardbeg 10yrs
Hudson Baby Bourbon Whiskey
Monkey Shoulder
Macallan 12yrs Double Cask

Old 10 October 2018, 03:49 AM   #192
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member

ashbaug2, how did you like the Woodford Reserve Sherry Cask? I always tell myself I'm going to pick up a bottle then every time I go to the store I end up getting side tracked and buying something else
Old 10 October 2018, 04:10 AM   #193
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
It's getting close to Pappy time. I'm curious how many bottles my "guy" will hold for me. Picked up some Blantons the other day. Looking forward to the Jack Daniels Heritage edition.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:40 AM   #194
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member

Rolex addict, you're a lucky man that's a great choice enjoy

I've been on the hunt for a pappy for a longggg time but unless you know a "guy" to hook you up it's almost impossible to get or pay a ridiculous mark up.

Two months ago I stumbled upon a liquor store in the city who actually had one in stock so imagine my excitement until I looked at the price tag 4,999 I laughed and walked out.
Old 10 October 2018, 05:00 AM   #195
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:
Rolex addict, you're a lucky man that's a great choice enjoy

I've been on the hunt for a pappy for a longggg time but unless you know a "guy" to hook you up it's almost impossible to get or pay a ridiculous mark up.

Two months ago I stumbled upon a liquor store in the city who actually had one in stock so imagine my excitement until I looked at the price tag 4,999 I laughed and walked out.
Not really luck. I buy all my booze through him AND bought a barrel of Jack Daniels. He is taking care of customers that spend big money. The exact same thing is happing in the watch world. If it makes you feel better, PVW really isn't that great. 15 and 23 are ok, but 10 and 12 just aren't good. Of course, every one has their own preference. I don't care for Blantons either. If you have time, check out my thread on the barrel. It's somewhere in the open forum section.

edit: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ght+the+barrel
Old 10 October 2018, 05:34 AM   #196
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Not really luck. I buy all my booze through him AND bought a barrel of Jack Daniels. He is taking care of customers that spend big money. The exact same thing is happing in the watch world. If it makes you feel better, PVW really isn't that great. 15 and 23 are ok, but 10 and 12 just aren't good. Of course, every one has their own preference. I don't care for Blantons either. If you have time, check out my thread on the barrel. It's somewhere in the open forum section.

Interesting. I enjoy Blantons. Have not had Pappy and I'd much rather chase vintage watches and Super NE IPAs then PVW
Old 10 October 2018, 06:24 AM   #197
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

Like all fine alcohol and wine, there are diminishing returns after the price hits a certain point. For me personally, that price is about $400 or so and once I know what the true retail price of a bottle is, I just don’t like paying stupid markups. I’ve got a lead on a 2 bottle PVW allocation, but it will depend on the year and asking price.
Old 10 October 2018, 06:37 AM   #198
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

I want to qualify my post above regarding old forester. I was referring to the regular stuff and not the 12 year they just released.
Old 10 October 2018, 06:48 AM   #199
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member

Quote:

edit: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ght+the+barrel
Hey Chad,

Just finished reading thru the whole JD thread and very cool thread . Sounds like you had a great experience and something I would do with my friends as well at some point in time.

Yeah I heard that about pappy as well from other people although I personally never tried it but for me I sorta have two collections. One with different kinds of whiskeys I keep in rotation to drink and the other of cool, interesting, rare bottles I just collect (pappy fits in the later, to have in my collection as a collector and not really drink ) maybe one day i'll get my hands on one.

BTW question for you if you have any experience with it? I was reading online on whiskey blogs how they were calling Weller 12 a "poor mans pappy" in terms of price lol but saying it's the closest things to tasting like pappy but I take all things on the internet with a grain of salt... any words of wisdom?

Last edited by RLX_NY; 10 October 2018 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10 October 2018, 06:56 AM   #200
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Like all fine alcohol and wine, there are diminishing returns after the price hits a certain point. For me personally, that price is about $400 or so and once I know what the true retail price of a bottle is, I just don’t like paying stupid markups. I’ve got a lead on a 2 bottle PVW allocation, but it will depend on the year and asking price.
Totally agree with you and feel the same. Mines also about 400/500 and I don't mind overpaying for something rare and hard to get over retail price but within reason and not crazy ridiculous markups.

BTW I responded to your other post but don't see my reply. Yes I read thru the whole thread, I just like discussing whiskey in general and discovering/learning about new whiskeys I might not know about hence my question
Old 10 October 2018, 07:18 AM   #201
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Totally agree with you and feel the same. Mines also about 400/500 and I don't mind overpaying for something rare and hard to get over retail price but within reason and not crazy ridiculous markups.

BTW I responded to your other post but don't see my reply. Yes I read thru the whole thread, I just like discussing whiskey in general and discovering/learning about new whiskeys I might not know about hence my question

So sorry, didn’t mean to come off as a turd. There’s just a lot of content here. If you can find weller close to retail, stock up. I notice that when I travel to my Houston home, the special reserve is abundant and cheap. Antique and the 12 are a little harder to source There is also a new people’s choice out, but I’ve yet to find a bottle.
Old 10 October 2018, 07:22 AM   #202
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:
Hey Chad,

Just finished reading thru the whole JD thread and very cool thread . Sounds like you had a great experience and something I would do with my friends as well at some point in time.

Yeah I heard that about pappy as well from other people although I personally never tried it but for me I sorta have two collections. One with different kinds of whiskeys I keep in rotation to drink and the other of cool, interesting, rare bottles I just collect (pappy fits in the later, to have in my collection as a collector and not really drink ) maybe one day i'll get my hands on one.

BTW question for you if you have any experience with it? I was reading online on whiskey blogs how they were calling Weller 12 a "poor mans pappy" in terms of price lol but saying it's the closest things to tasting like pappy but I take all things on the internet with a grain of salt... any words of wisdom?
It's made at the same distillery (Buffalo Trace) with an almost identical grain bill, aged in the same type of barrel and geography. Even though it has all of this, whiskey and bourbon do age differently and can have significantly different flavor profiles. We learned this when tasting JD to pick our barrel. An analogy would be setting Pappy on a pedestal as a fine single barrel bourbon. You also have very good single barrel JD. Barrels that don't "make the cut" to single barrel status get blended into JD black label. That would be where Wellers fits it. It's Pappy, but it's not.
Old 10 October 2018, 08:48 AM   #203
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
ashbaug2, how did you like the Woodford Reserve Sherry Cask? I always tell myself I'm going to pick up a bottle then every time I go to the store I end up getting side tracked and buying something else
It's smooth, slightly sweet (as expected), and hits hard. I like Woodford, in general, but this is another level. Worth every penny. Not sure how you enjoy your whiskey, but it is definitely better neat, as I have found that any ice/water dillutes the flavor, but then again my palate isn't as refined as others'...

I don't see the Sherry Cask finished around anymore, I think there's a new Brandy Cask finished that's available, but I haven't picked that one up.
Old 10 October 2018, 02:43 PM   #204
cm10005
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk Sub
So what you think guys, the unopened 2013 20yr old Pappy in my safe should I open and drink or sell it?? I’ve been waiting for that real special occasion but just seems like it hasn’t come.
cm10005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 03:22 PM   #205
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm10005 View Post
So what you think guys, the unopened 2013 20yr old Pappy in my safe should I open and drink or sell it?? I’ve been waiting for that real special occasion but just seems like it hasn’t come.

Friday's just round the corner
Old 11 October 2018, 04:33 AM   #206
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So sorry, didn’t mean to come off as a turd. There’s just a lot of content here. If you can find weller close to retail, stock up. I notice that when I travel to my Houston home, the special reserve is abundant and cheap. Antique and the 12 are a little harder to source There is also a new people’s choice out, but I’ve yet to find a bottle.
No worries no offense taken that’s part of the problem it’s not to readily available in NY or rather I can find it but their all asking ridiculous markups. Ohh well we’ll see what happens maybe one day lol

Quote:
It's made at the same distillery (Buffalo Trace) with an almost identical grain bill, aged in the same type of barrel and geography. Even though it has all of this, whiskey and bourbon do age differently and can have significantly different flavor profiles. We learned this when tasting JD to pick our barrel. An analogy would be setting Pappy on a pedestal as a fine single barrel bourbon. You also have very good single barrel JD. Barrels that don't "make the cut" to single barrel status get blended into JD black label. That would be where Wellers fits it. It's Pappy, but it's not.
Hey Chad,

Totally understand what you’re saying and the analogy. I do want to pick up a bottle one day just to try it for what it is and not compare it to pappy but even weller 12 in my area is marked up like crazy lol. Any other recommendations you have I’d love to hear it and discuss. I got your message too just a little hard to respond on the phone since I’m traveling for work and can’t get on a computer but will definitely hit you up

Quote:
It's smooth, slightly sweet (as expected), and hits hard. I like Woodford, in general, but this is another level. Worth every penny. Not sure how you enjoy your whiskey, but it is definitely better neat, as I have found that any ice/water dillutes the flavor, but then again my palate isn't as refined as others'...

I don't see the Sherry Cask finished around anymore, I think there's a new Brandy Cask finished that's available, but I haven't picked that one up.
Gotcha we’ll I’m heading to the store this weekend to stock up on a few different bottles so I’ll let you know what I find and how it is 👍
Old 11 October 2018, 09:11 AM   #207
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Cool thread. I do not drink but I have found some great information here to score some different varieties for friends and family to try. Dad loved the Buffalo Trace that was recommended here. Which lead me to other bottles from the same distillery which he has really enjoyed.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 10:19 AM   #208
weespeed
"TRF" Member

Great thread.

As my group of friends get older, we've been drinking lots of whisky and Scotch.
This is what we put down on a typical birthday party I host at my house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bday.jpg (239.0 KB, 211 views)
weespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 03:51 PM   #209
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space

Heavy hitters!
Old 12 October 2018, 06:21 AM   #210
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Love the thread!
Prestige_Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote