The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 October 2018, 07:36 AM   #211
returntorolex
"TRF" Member
 
returntorolex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Real Name: Steve
Location: Atlanta
Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Posts: 5,645
Just getting comfy.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FFA232F0-642A-48BA-A7A0-4EEE5E8A5C45.jpeg (209.5 KB, 316 views)
__________________
Rolex - Tudor - Omega - Breitling - Oris - Grand Seiko - Timex - Casio - Ocean Crawler - Ganymede - American Waltham - Seiko - Gruen - Arethusa - Citizen - Sinn
returntorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 12:14 AM   #212
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by weespeed View Post
Great thread.

As my group of friends get older, we've been drinking lots of whisky and Scotch.
This is what we put down on a typical birthday party I host at my house.
Nice, what did you think of the Hibiki? A friend of mine brought me two bottles when he came back from japan and I must say I quite enjoyed them. Drink in good health

Quote:
Originally Posted by returntorolex View Post
Just getting comfy.....
Sweet collection, any personal favorite's you'd recommend?
RLX_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 07:57 AM   #213
Kainz
"TRF" Member
 
Kainz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montreal
Watch: Tudor
Posts: 165
I quite like this one.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Kainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 01:44 AM   #214
RobearH
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Real Name: Robear
Location: Come and Take It!
Watch: 126710 BLRO
Posts: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by returntorolex View Post
Just getting comfy.....
That Blood Oath #4...wish I could find some.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 02:35 AM   #215
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member
 
cruise_bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Real Name: John
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 982
Cracked this open last night.

Eh. It's OK.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 05:05 PM   #216
weespeed
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLX_NY View Post
Nice, what did you think of the Hibiki? A friend of mine brought me two bottles when he came back from japan and I must say I quite enjoyed them. Drink in good health


For a Japanese whisky, itís great. For the price its a good everyday pour after dinner.
The 17 is fantastic, but now a days anything from japan with a number is like buying a ceramic Daytona, hard to get or pay a premium. I used to drink Nikka 21 when you could buy it for $200 a bottle, now good luck finding it or pay up to $800+ for a bottle now. Yamazaki is another one that I enjoy.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
weespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 01:43 AM   #217
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by weespeed View Post
For a Japanese whisky, itís great. For the price its a good everyday pour after dinner.
The 17 is fantastic, but now a days anything from japan with a number is like buying a ceramic Daytona, hard to get or pay a premium. I used to drink Nikka 21 when you could buy it for $200 a bottle, now good luck finding it or pay up to $800+ for a bottle now. Yamazaki is another one that I enjoy.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yea I hear ya, It's currently a tough market for Japanese whisky unfortunately cuz they make some pretty enjoyable whiskys. I still get the hibiki harmony for around $65/70 when I'm in the mood for something different but like you said anything else with a number is either not available or crazy mark ups. I tried the regular Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky this weekend and it was pretty good
RLX_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 02:35 AM   #218
15minprior
"TRF" Member
 
15minprior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: CONUS
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15minprior View Post
Currently in my arsenal:

Hakashu 12
Hibiki Japanese Harmony
Johnnie Walker Black
Lagavulin 16
My collection has grown since the last time I checked in:

Japanese:
Hakushu 12
Hibiki Japanese Harmony
Hibiki Japanese Harmony Master's Select
Yamazaki 12
Nikka From the Barrel
Nikka Miyagikyo NAS
Nikka Yoichi NAS
Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt NAS
Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt 17

American:
Little Book 02
Jim Beam Old Tub
Jim Beam Urban Stillhouse
Makers 46
Makers Private Select
Michter's 10yr Rye
Michter's American Whiskey

Other:
JW Black Label
JW Green Label
Lagavulin 16

I'm probably forgetting a few.
15minprior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 10:33 AM   #219
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member
 
Mr Kram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Real Name: Mark
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 876
last night, had some friends over for some persian food. ended up doing a col. taylor sampling of small batch, single barrel and straight rye. wish i could find a bottle of 4 grain that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Mr Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 12:52 AM   #220
redsubby
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Real Name: Henry
Location: TW/SoCal
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
We were out last night so must have missed the UPS drop off
A buddy of mine ran across five bottles up in Massachusetts a few weeks ago, I told him Iíd take any he didnít want...

Packed back up

Will have some tonight!
How much do they go for these days?
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 01:27 AM   #221
mjclark32
"TRF" Member
 
mjclark32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Real Name: MJC
Location: PHL USA
Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Posts: 29,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsubby View Post
How much do they go for these days?
They were $100-110 (canít remember exactly) in Mass. I havenít been able to find any in PA for a while. Last time I did though they were around $50
__________________
mjclark32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 01:55 AM   #222
wantonebad
2023 Rolex DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
wantonebad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Real Name: Marc
Location: Boston
Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Posts: 12,796
Yama 12 isn't too expensive but it's almost never on the shelves anymore around me. It's also not great. The 18 is much better, like a completely different whiskey almost, I do not enjoy the 12 even a little.
__________________
"I'm kind of a big deal...
on a fairly irrelevant social media site
that falsely inflates my fragile ego"
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 03:10 AM   #223
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member
 
Mr Kram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Real Name: Mark
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 876
Last night total wine had a nice little shipment come in. Iím pretty stocked, but I still bought a couple of bottle because you canít beat retail pricing.



Mr Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 05:12 AM   #224
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kram View Post
Last night total wine had a nice little shipment come in. Iím pretty stocked, but I still bought a couple of bottle because you canít beat retail pricing.



Nice pic ups, enjoy in good health
RLX_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 05:17 AM   #225
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 210
Hey Guys,

Bare with me as it's kind of a long list but I was looking through my store's list looking to expand my selection and try something new and the following caught my attention. Since there's some great knowledgeable whiskey heads in this thread wanted to ask your opinion if anyone has tried any of the below and what you thought of it?

2Bar Spirits Bourbon Whiskey
Aberlour 12 Year Old
Balcones Distilling Baby Blue Corn Whisky
Blade And Bow Bourbon Whiskey
Bruichladdich Port Charlotte Scotch Whisky
Compass Box Oak Cross
Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old
Glen Garioch 12 Years Old
Glenmorangie The Quinta Ruban
The Balvenie Distillery Single Barrel 12 Year
Trailís End Bourbon
RLX_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 05:21 AM   #226
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member
 
Mr Kram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Real Name: Mark
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 876
I like baby blue. Itís a little sweet, but not over powering. Blade and Bow is pretty solid, especially at that price point.
Mr Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 05:24 AM   #227
R!$
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
Johnnie Walker Blue King George V here.



R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 06:01 AM   #228
weespeed
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by R!$ View Post
I just replenished my stock of King George too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0690.jpg (124.5 KB, 203 views)
weespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 06:32 AM   #229
imperio
"TRF" Member
 
imperio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Watch: this space
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLX_NY View Post
Hey Guys,



Bare with me as it's kind of a long list but I was looking through my store's list looking to expand my selection and try something new and the following caught my attention. Since there's some great knowledgeable whiskey heads in this thread wanted to ask your opinion if anyone has tried any of the below and what you thought of it?



2Bar Spirits Bourbon Whiskey

Aberlour 12 Year Old

Balcones Distilling Baby Blue Corn Whisky

Blade And Bow Bourbon Whiskey

Bruichladdich Port Charlotte Scotch Whisky

Compass Box Oak Cross

Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old

Glen Garioch 12 Years Old

Glenmorangie The Quinta Ruban

The Balvenie Distillery Single Barrel 12 Year

Trailís End Bourbon


I'll admit I bought the Port Charlotte because I liked the packaging but I love sipping on it neat in the evenings these days. It's got a unique peatiness. Not too expensive at around $50 or so (iirc)
__________________
imperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 06:42 AM   #230
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kram View Post
I like baby blue. Itís a little sweet, but not over powering. Blade and Bow is pretty solid, especially at that price point.
Yeah reading up on it, they sounded interesting. Thanks to your suggestion/opinion I'll be adding them to the list of must tries thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
I'll admit I bought the Port Charlotte because I liked the packaging but I love sipping on it neat in the evenings these days. It's got a unique peatiness. Not too expensive at around $50 or so (iirc)
thanks for the feedback. I'll admit the packaging is also what caught my eye at first (guess clever marketing/packaging worked lol) then reading up on it kept it interesting but wasn't sure if it would be worth it or just a pretty looking bottle. Will be adding it to the list thanks
RLX_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 06:48 AM   #231
imperio
"TRF" Member
 
imperio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Watch: this space
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLX_NY View Post
Yeah reading up on it, they sounded interesting. Thanks to your suggestion/opinion I'll be adding them to the list of must tries thank you



thanks for the feedback. I'll admit the packaging is also what caught my eye at first (guess clever marketing/packaging worked lol) then reading up on it kept it interesting but wasn't sure if it would be worth it or just a pretty looking bottle. Will be adding it to the list thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
All ready for 2018!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
imperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 01:37 AM   #232
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Quite a nice collection

The Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg 10 are two of my favorite whiskeys around, always keep a bottle in stock.

Compass Box I have yet to try but it's on my list, any suggestions yay or nay

For the Bruichladdich would you suggest the classic laddie or port Richmond or both

Drink to good health
RLX_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 02:46 AM   #233
redsubby
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Real Name: Henry
Location: TW/SoCal
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
They were $100-110 (canít remember exactly) in Mass. I havenít been able to find any in PA for a while. Last time I did though they were around $50
$100-$110 was just a tad below what 18 used to cost, before Japanese whisky turned Rolex.
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 02:55 AM   #234
wfitch
2023 Rolex DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Real Name: Bill
Location: New York
Watch: DJ II 116330
Posts: 77
Lagavulin is the Mack Truck of Whisky IMHO. That's a love it or hate it for some folks. I can see an easy comparison between it and the Ardbeg 10.
Just finishing an Oban DE which was fantastic.
wfitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 03:05 AM   #235
austinp
"TRF" Member
 
austinp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: us
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfitch View Post
Lagavulin is the Mack Truck of Whisky IMHO. That's a love it or hate it for some folks. I can see an easy comparison between it and the Ardbeg 10.
Just finishing an Oban DE which was fantastic.
I like you description. Like drink a camp fire. I like it but only when im ready for it.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 05:23 AM   #236
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfitch View Post
Lagavulin is the Mack Truck of Whisky IMHO. That's a love it or hate it for some folks. I can see an easy comparison between it and the Ardbeg 10.
Just finishing an Oban DE which was fantastic.
Yes it is, the first time I tried it the first 2/3 sips were confusing then fell in love.

My top favorites are Lagavulin/Ardbeg with laphroaig a very close second for smokey whiskey among others in different varieties
RLX_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 07:18 AM   #237
Rolex addict
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Real Name: The Enabler
Location: South Cackalacky
Watch: me crash my bike
Posts: 5,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by weespeed View Post
I just replenished my stock of King George too...
One of my favorites!!
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 07:19 AM   #238
weespeed
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfitch View Post
Lagavulin is the Mack Truck of Whisky IMHO. That's a love it or hate it for some folks. I can see an easy comparison between it and the Ardbeg 10.
Just finishing an Oban DE which was fantastic.
So true. It is very peaty and really is an acquired taste.
I just tried this yesterday and it's not bad for ~$50 at Costco.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181018_100312.jpg (212.7 KB, 172 views)
weespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 07:48 AM   #239
wantonebad
2023 Rolex DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
wantonebad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Real Name: Marc
Location: Boston
Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Posts: 12,796
Scored my second bottle of dream cask, that means the first bottle will be saceaficed forth with!!


Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
__________________
"I'm kind of a big deal...
on a fairly irrelevant social media site
that falsely inflates my fragile ego"
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 09:43 AM   #240
austinp
"TRF" Member
 
austinp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: us
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Scored my second bottle of dream cask, that means the first bottle will be saceaficed forth with!!


Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Wow! That is a serious score. Im partial to the Irish Wiskys.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DavidSW Watches


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2023, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.