The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12 March 2020, 02:42 AM   #1531
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

I very much realize I am likely one of the only hold outs here. But I still think this is being over blown.

I don’t think your POV is wrong, some people on the news reports are thumping their tub, sounding the alarm, and doing so in a very scary way.

If that gets people concerned enough to:
1) wash their hands 4x more than they did before
2) cover their sneezes/coughs
3) observe social distancing

Then I’ll accept the alarms that may even be to loud.

BTW
WHO just reported that COVID-19 is a pandemic...
So maybe we can amp up more resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 12 March 2020, 02:43 AM   #1532
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by seslwr View Post
Was listening to a Joe Rogan podcast. His guest was Michael Olsterholm, who is an infectious disease researcher with the University of Minnesota. This guy knows his stuff. His forecast in the U.S. is 90 million infections, 48 million hospitalizations, and 480,000 fatalities.

Those numbers sounds close to the obesity rates

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12 March 2020, 02:45 AM   #1533
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
Why so much greater numbers than China though?
I don’t have a lot of confidence in the information out of China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

If we have an outbreak in an understaffed area, they will be overwhelmed.
I live in a relatively poor area in Minnesota with a population of 25,000 There is a small number of very wealthy lakeshore residents and a large population of people living in poverty, as well as a large, poor Native American reservation. These are people with less access to information or the luxury to isolate for weeks. Our hospital can handle five ventilator patients at a time. A serious outbreak will certainly overwhelm the healthcare system here.
Old 12 March 2020, 02:45 AM   #1534
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
What does this mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
28:06:42:12
Bible verse? Infection count?
Old 12 March 2020, 02:48 AM   #1535
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Hey! That’s the combination to my watch safe!
Old 12 March 2020, 02:51 AM   #1536
77T

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post

I live in a relatively poor area in Minnesota with a population of 25,000 There is a small number of very wealthy lakeshore residents and a large population of people living in poverty, as well as a large, poor Native American reservation. These are people with less access to information or the luxury to isolate for weeks. Our hospital can handle five ventilator patients at a time. A serious outbreak will certainly overwhelm the healthcare system here.

Precisely - great example of how large number theory misses the fine points at points of service.

I don’t fault anyone here for using them. But the post that I challenged yesterday, however, said all beds were apparently full in USA. That’s unhelpful rumormongering.

Old 12 March 2020, 02:53 AM   #1537
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Guys if you find yourself at a grocery/retail store take the time to give the employees a kind word/smile. I was at Costco earlier today and you could see it on some of their faces - this is hell for them.
Old 12 March 2020, 03:03 AM   #1538
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

I very much realize I am likely one of the only hold outs here. But I still think this is being over blown.
Jeez, it’s like I have a long lost twin.
Old 12 March 2020, 03:05 AM   #1539
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavir...190303174.html

Based on the way this spreads, likely 5x (ore more) people actually have it than has been reported.

And they don't even know it.
I think it's always possible that we have predominately the less aggressive Strain S here, so let's hope Strain L doesn't become too prevalent. What i do find puzzling is the number of exchange students that would've traveled and came back to the US for 2nd semester University classes that would have been back since end of January in school, which was well after the global outbreak. You would think that even if the students don't exhibit severe illnesses by now that we would at minimum be getting reports of older faculty and staff at Universities getting very sick by now or contracting. Then the interstate air travel as well and incoming international flights, even if only connections would've been very common in NYC, Atlanta, Chicago, and LA with all being hubs. Perhaps it is only Strain S that is prevalent so far.
Old 12 March 2020, 03:13 AM   #1540
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seslwr View Post
Was listening to a Joe Rogan podcast. His guest was Michael Olsterholm, who is an infectious disease researcher with the University of Minnesota. This guy knows his stuff. His forecast in the U.S. is 90 million infections, 48 million hospitalizations, and 480,000 fatalities.

https://youtu.be/cZFhjMQrVts
Old 12 March 2020, 03:14 AM   #1541
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I read today on Apple News, and maybe I am mistaken, please feel free to point out if I am, but from what I understand, the death rate of Corona is 3 ish per 1,000. The death rate of regular influenza is between 1 and 2 per 1,000. Now, this is a serious virus we all need to take steps to protect ourselves and our family etc. But, closing down countries? Seems a little extreme.
Old 12 March 2020, 03:19 AM   #1542
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post

“In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes"

“Corona is just this year's candy pink stove.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12 March 2020, 03:20 AM   #1543
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I read today on Apple News, and maybe I am mistaken, please feel free to point out if I am, but from what I understand, the death rate of Corona is 3 ish per 1,000. The death rate of regular influenza is between 1 and 2 per 1,000. Now, this is a serious virus we all need to take steps to protect ourselves and our family etc. But, closing down countries? Seems a little extreme.
Mortality rate of flu is usually much lower than that of COVID, think 0.2 to 0.3% unless in a severe risk group, such as those recommended to get flu shots. Then the mortality rate can approach upwards of 6% in some cases and conditions.

SARS-COV-1 had a mortality rate of 10%, so I'm not so convinced this is as low as portrayed. So far SARS-COV-2 would have an implied mortality rate of 2-3%, which would be 20 to 30 deaths per 1000 infections. In reality there may be less cases reported and unidentified so that the denominator could be much greater than currently implied, which could mean a lower mortality rate.

The real problem is concurrent infections that may result in an additional risk for viral or secondary bacterial pneumonia infections.
Old 12 March 2020, 03:20 AM   #1544
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
I don’t think your POV is wrong, some people on the news reports are thumping their tub, sounding the alarm, and doing so in a very scary way.

If that gets people concerned enough to:
1) wash their hands 4x more than they did before
2) cover their sneezes/coughs
3) observe social distancing

Then I’ll accept the alarms that may even be to loud.

BTW
WHO just reported that COVID-19 is a pandemic...
So maybe we can amp up more resources.

Agree. It’s great that it reinforces 1,2 & 3.

But there are a lot of other factors that are also created. Unnecessary trips to the medical facilities (therefore overwhelming them), market sell offs, lay offs, and paranoia just to make a few.

I agree with closing all the large events. I agree with working from home when possible.

I don’t agree with the mass hysteria. This very thread has a mention of “end of days”.

Some people thrive on panic, and misery. And this scenario bring them out in droves.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 12 March 2020, 03:41 AM   #1545
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
Guys if you find yourself at a grocery/retail store take the time to give the employees a kind word/smile. \
I did just that (with a kind thank you) going to Walmart today for my 2nd round of supplies. I can't imagine. Not much TP for the record, btw.
Old 12 March 2020, 03:43 AM   #1546
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
You guys need a high 5 emoji
Old 12 March 2020, 03:48 AM   #1547
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
ha. but we knew this!!!!

Old 12 March 2020, 03:48 AM   #1548
77T

Seth
Quoting you in segments

“Unnecessary trips to the medical facilities (therefore overwhelming them), “

—- True, and only a minority will need hospitalization. This clods the system for other critical caseload in ER’s.

“market sell offs, lay offs, and paranoia just to make a few. “

—— haven’t seen the mass layoffs yet but furloughs are taking place. In the Markets, if you persevere, and don’t sell, you’ll not lose a $. But only time will tell if this harkens to a new economic reality.

“I agree with closing all the large events. I agree with working from home when possible. “

—— I dwell in Motorsports most weekends. Thus far we, FIA and NASCAR are keeping to the schedule. I’m a small voice in that pond. Each has its own coronavirus statement. But they only said stay home if you’re ill. Should’ve also said “if you’ve traveled to Europe/Asia” to be a bit more inclusive.
(I have written our leadership to include this - 12 Hours of Sebring is the next risk with all the international drivers entered)

“I don’t agree with the mass hysteria. This very thread has a mention of “end of days”. “

—— Many are showing their underlying reactions to stress, fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Old 12 March 2020, 03:49 AM   #1549
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Guys if you find yourself at a grocery/retail store take the time to give the employees a kind word/smile. I was at Costco earlier today and you could see it on some of their faces - this is hell for them.
I agree. Great point/post.

Truth is though, I do this with everyone. Every day.

Old 12 March 2020, 03:51 AM   #1550
THC

Watch: 16610M
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0BDDE56B-CAF0-499F-8791-0911DC03CAA0.jpeg (104.7 KB, 118 views)
Old 12 March 2020, 04:05 AM   #1551
77T

Quote:

Costco & Walmart have been slammed - about the same as their peak holiday crowds. I agree they’re stressed - prolly more by the concern that the next customer could be a walking coronavirus doppelgänger of “Typhoid Mary”..

Old 12 March 2020, 04:08 AM   #1552
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Paul, flu is .1% to .2%.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 12 March 2020, 04:10 AM   #1553
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
According to CDC, about 5,000 people have been tested and over 1,000 infected (based on that testing). Fauci this morning is 10x more lethal than flu, no vaccine, no immunity. Only have the ability to conduct about 16,000 tests per day (both public and private labs). We simply have no idea how bad this will be but most certainly cannot say its contained when so little testing has been done and the capacity to do wide spread testing does not exist.
Old 12 March 2020, 04:11 AM   #1554
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Math is not close to correct.
Old 12 March 2020, 04:15 AM   #1555
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I am very curious to see how the public reacts in the coming days and weeks. As a primary care physician, my main concern has been that people will inundate us with minor illnesses out of fear of being infected with COVID-19, thus potentially causing more harm through overloading the system than the actual infection itself.

My experience in the last three days has been the opposite; it's been the quietest (note: a relative term) three days at the surgery since last Summer. Anecdotally it appears that people are keeping themselves away from us, presumably to reduce their risk of coming into contact with the virus.

The calm before the storm, perhaps.
Old 12 March 2020, 04:15 AM   #1556
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Paul, flu is .1% to .2%.

That’s what 1-2 per thousand equals; .1-.2%, right?

Old 12 March 2020, 04:15 AM   #1557
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
donnie darko rabbit eow 28 days 6 hours 42 min 12 seconds
Old 12 March 2020, 04:17 AM   #1558
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
I am very curious to see how the public reacts in the coming days and weeks. As a primary care physician, my main concern has been that people will inundate us with minor illnesses out of fear of being infected with COVID-19, thus potentially causing more harm through overloading the system than the actual infection itself.

My experience in the last three days has been the opposite; it's been the quietest (note: a relative term) three days at the surgery since last Summer. Anecdotally it appears that people are keeping themselves away from us, presumably to reduce their risk of coming into contact with the virus.

The calm before the storm, perhaps.
Agreed. Seasonal allergies are right around the corner so you might start seeing more numbers once more pollen is in the air.
Old 12 March 2020, 04:19 AM   #1559
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
I see a food shortage and buying lots of canned goods and stuff Just in case.....I have 28 days food supply from hurricane worry and some water....plus im ordering food for pets
Old 12 March 2020, 04:19 AM   #1560
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Costco & Walmart has been slammed - about the same as their peak holiday crowds. I agree they’re stressed - prolly more by the concern that the next customer could be a walking coronavirus doppelgänger of “Typhoid Mary”..
Yes, can you imagine having to handle cash/credit cards given to you by others all day long right now? I sure as hell wouldn't want that job.

I honestly wonder if stores will start to institute a no cash policy, if that is even feasible. They have the card machines now that the purchaser inserts the card themselves and the cashier never has to touch it.

There are undoubtedly lots of changes in the way we live life on the way.
Closed Thread