The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 19 December 2011, 04:54 AM   #1
leerecords
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
IWC Spitfire Pilots Chronograph and Leather Strap Question

Just wondering if you guys have any opinions on the IWC IW371702 Spitfire Pilots chronograph. In addition, this is my first leather gator strap. What are some of your experiences with leather bands and how long they last? I know it varies, but if used as a daily wearer will it even last a year? The sales person at the AD was trying to sell me on an additional insurance coverage plan costing $550 that would enable me to exchange damaged bands for 3 years. They said a new band and buckle would run around $400 something. I have 7 days to add the insurance and I wanted to get a few opinions before I decide on the insurance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (1).jpg (65.3 KB, 102 views)
leerecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2011, 06:50 AM   #2
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
If you use your watch daily and sweat occasionally, the straps may not make it a year. If you rotate watches or have a metal bracelet watch for harder wear, a leather strap can go a few years. Either way, if the strap in the picture is what you're after, you can buy a nice croc for $100, or less, anytime you want. The buckle can be moved to any appropriately sized strap that you buy. $200 will buy you a pretty exotic and high end alligator. I don't see how the insurance deal makes sense.

If IWC was selling a strap with curved ends perfectly fitted to the watch case, you could justify a somewhat higher price.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Sarajevo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600371701
I have an IWC 371701 with a black crocodile strap. I have worn it every other day for over 2 years. The strap is slightly scuffed around the edges but is perfectly wearable and will last a good while longer. As the previous poster said, good straps are available for decent prices and you can be more flexible than if stuck to IWC ones. The insurance policy sounds like a bad deal to me.
Sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2011, 02:41 PM   #4
leerecords
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Thanks for your help !
leerecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 05:41 AM   #5
johng

I just put a Strap Evolution Ammo Strap on my IWC Pilot Chronograph and a quite happy with it, it gives the watch a nice vintage/retro look. Also pretty comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IWC_Ammo1.jpg (243.9 KB, 69 views)
johng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iwc , leather strap