The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 June 2012, 12:56 AM   #31
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
The Asian markets will be more important to Rolex, and all luxury Swiss watch makers, over at least the next 5 years....It would be almost silly if they did not throttle down US imports and use that supply in BRIC countries with faster growing economies and new high-end consumers.

The U.S. is "losing" middle and upper middle class people as quick as other countries are adding them. By "losing", I mean sliding into poverty from what was once a good life...anyone that doesn't believe this is kidding themselves...
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 12:59 AM   #32
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It would not be a very good business decision to reduce imports into the largest market...

It would make much more sense to simply increase production and import to the emerging market..

If you reduce from one market to import to another, your net output increase is zero..
Good point Larry.

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 01:04 AM   #33
Pete00

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGERVEGAS View Post
Think you got that wrong
Perhaps it's:

Those who speak do not know, and THOSE WHO KNOW DO NOT SPEAK.

Haven't heard it before, but this way it makes sense...
Pete00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 01:11 AM   #34
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete00 View Post
Perhaps it's:

Those who speak do not know, and THOSE WHO KNOW DO NOT SPEAK.

Haven't heard it before, but this way it makes sense...
The Dao that is spoken is not the true Dao.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 01:12 AM   #35
z32turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Varies
Seems like the Asian market has the biggest potential for % growth but I agree with Larry that the US offers the largest market for total sales.

Instagram @z32turbo
z32turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 01:37 AM   #36
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by z32turbo View Post
Seems like the Asian market has the biggest potential for % growth but I agree with Larry that the US offers the largest market for total sales.
Most are still equating total swiss watch sales, led by Swatch's huge market share, with Rolex, who is a relatively small player by comparison.. The charts all break Rolex out and only compare it to Omega there.. Both together accounting for a small percenetage of total swiss watch sales..

The USA is still Rolex largest customer by far.. although I will agree that Asia is a fast emerging market and the USA won't hold up too long if the economy continues to stagnate.
Old 24 June 2012, 03:03 AM   #37
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim604 View Post
Not sure if the rumour has any truth to it, but it's true North America makes up a fairly small portion of Swiss watch sales. The US is still the second largest single market though, I can't see the Swiss watch industry purposefully doing anything to hurt it. Although looks like the US will probably drop to 3rd place by next year.

Here is an article from June's Watch Time Magazine:

Good read. But, that is all Swiss watches - I'm sure a lot of Swatch and Omega.

I would like to see a Rolex break down. With Rolex's secretive practices I doubt we ever will.

I think the US is still a major factor regarding Rolex.

Old 24 June 2012, 03:35 AM   #38
patek.wis
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Most are still equating total swiss watch sales, led by Swatch's huge market share, with Rolex, who is a relatively small player by comparison.. The charts all break Rolex out and only compare it to Omega there.. Both together accounting for a small percenetage of total swiss watch sales..

The USA is still Rolex largest customer by far.. although I will agree that Asia is a fast emerging market and the USA won't hold up too long if the economy continues to stagnate.
I would like to see a recent finding supporting your claim. If the past decade has taught us anything, it is that 2 years is too long of a gap to go unaccounted for. The USA economy melted down in a timeframe similar to that ;)

A lot of luxury manufacturers are distributing a larger portion of their product to the east and less to the USA. This is fact. However, we can agree to disagree ;)
patek.wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 04:11 AM   #39
hotshot888
"TRF" Member

Hong Kong probably has the most Rolex AD density especially in Causeway Bay where you see two to three dealers within one block of 100m. Only the most "bling" Rolex sell well to the Chinese mainlanders as they favor AP, PP, VC in that category. Omega sells the most in China since they have been and pushed that market longer.
hotshot888 is offline   Reply With Quote