The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 6 June 2015, 04:15 AM   #1
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
Will the 15202 complete my collection

I have been thinking the past week or so wether i should pull the trigger and go on a full hunt for a steel 15202 but, i also was thinking do i actually need a 15202 when i have a 15300. I know a lot of people would say 5711>15202 and 15202>15300 but i already have a 5712 and a 15300 and atm the 15202 is my grail watch, just not sure if i should get a 15202 or go for another AP out there. My high end collection atm is a 5712,5164 and 15300 (have 3 more but they don't fall in my high end section). If anyone out there has a recommendation on my next AP the max budget i am willing to put on an AP is $30k USD.
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2015, 04:20 AM   #2
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Well the 15202 is a great piece, what color is your 15300 dial? If it's white or black I would say go for the Jumbo, blue dial of course, don't even think they make it in SS other than with blue dial.

I think having 5712, 15300 and 15202 is quite cool, even if personally I would go for the 5711, but you have the 5712 which is better, IMHO, than a 5711, whereas the 15202 is, again IMO, better than the 15300.

If you want something different less than 30K, the AP ceramic diver is a great choice, just saw and reserved one today, very cool watch, possibly the coolest ceramic sports watch on the market, in AP under 30K other than the diver, possible also in FC if you like it, and the 15202/15400 I don't see any other nice possibilities...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2015, 04:28 AM   #3
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Well the 15202 is a great piece, what color is your 15300 dial? If it's white or black I would say go for the Jumbo, blue dial of course, don't even think they make it in SS other than with blue dial.

I think having 5712, 15300 and 15202 is quite cool, even if personally I would go for the 5711, but you have the 5712 which is better, IMHO, than a 5711, whereas the 15202 is, again IMO, better than the 15300.

If you want something different less than 30K, the AP ceramic diver is a great choice, just saw and reserved one today, very cool watch, possibly the coolest ceramic sports watch on the market, in AP under 30K other than the diver, possible also in FC if you like it, and the 15202/15400 I don't see any other nice possibilities...
have a white dial 15300 as my daily
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3720.jpg (97.8 KB, 434 views)
Old 6 June 2015, 04:30 AM   #4
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

I thought about trading my 15300 for a 15202 with money to pay the full amount but in its extremely scratched and dented condition plus its my first actual high end piece its hard to let it go.
Old 6 June 2015, 04:35 AM   #5
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullasaif View Post
I thought about trading my 15300 for a 15202 with money to pay the full amount but in its extremely scratched and dented condition plus its my first actual high end piece its hard to let it go.
I would keep the 15300, I even heard some AP service centers can change the dial for a certain price, I would change it into blue dial, 10 times better than white or black IMO, but that's me I just love blue, a blue 15300 plus your blue 5712 would make an awesome "bluo" and I would try to get a diver, my favorite being ceramic, then FC and SS at the same level, what's cool with the SS is that you can wear it on it's rubber strap and you can buy the SS bracelet and it looks awesome on bracelet
Old 6 June 2015, 04:43 AM   #6
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would keep the 15300, I even heard some AP service centers can change the dial for a certain price, I would change it into blue dial, 10 times better than white or black IMO, but that's me I just love blue, a blue 15300 plus your blue 5712 would make an awesome "bluo" and I would try to get a diver, my favorite being ceramic, then FC and SS at the same level, what's cool with the SS is that you can wear it on it's rubber strap and you can buy the SS bracelet and it looks awesome on bracelet

I actually can't stand scratches on the ROO bezel since it's much larger and easier to hit against things compared to a RO. Was thinking about a white ceramic diver I know people call it a G-shock look a like from far and find the white controversial seasonal color but I do live in one the hottest countries in the world, I don't think a 44mm would suit me or even a ROO 42mm chrono just never suited me so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 June 2015, 05:03 AM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I see no harm in swapping if the 15202 really is a grail for you. I would suggest the 15305 to shake things up a bit. A touch over budget but hey, whats a few thousand between watch collectors
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2015, 05:07 AM   #8
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I see no harm in swapping if the 15202 really is a grail for you. I would suggest the 15305 to shake things up a bit. A touch over budget but hey, whats a few thousand between watch collectors
Ive tried the 15305 steel and in rose gold wish i got it few years ago but it feels the exact same on my wrist as the 15300, i would rather get another watch instead of the 15305 but thats just me.
Old 6 June 2015, 05:23 AM   #9
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

i would not get both, but 15202 > 15300 for sure. id at least inquire about how much cash to top up. i'm not much for sentimentalness, always that next to go after if its not getting wrist time. only watch I can't let go of is one my wife gave me for our engagement. believe me, thought about trading that too - multiple times
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2015, 05:38 AM   #10
xeal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
have a white dial 15300 as my daily
If it has a lot of sentimental value I guess you should keep it.
If you don't mind letting it go, I would definitely replace it with the 15202.
I found a deal on a 15300 blue dial and still refused it because I won't settle for anything other than the 15202.
The dial and bracelet and the thin case are just mesmerising.
Personally also don't love the flat white dial on the 15300 myself.

I think with the 15202 the two PPs, you have an amazing trio.
Not sure if you have a SS Rolex, but if you do, I don't see anything missing! I would call it a day on hunting for watches till you have an itch down the line for something new.
This is my opinion of course.
xeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2015, 05:41 AM   #11
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeal View Post
If it has a lot of sentimental value I guess you should keep it.
If you don't mind letting it go, I would definitely replace it with the 15202.
I found a deal on a 15300 blue dial and still refused it because I won't settle for anything other than the 15202.
The dial and bracelet and the thin case are just mesmerising.
Personally also don't love the flat white dial on the 15300 myself.

I think with the 15202 the two PPs, you have an amazing trio.
Not sure if you have a SS Rolex, but if you do, I don't see anything missing! I would call it a day on hunting for watches till you have an itch down the line for something new.
This is my opinion of course.
Sending it this week to get DLC PVD coated. Just love the custom black look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-3.jpg (113.8 KB, 393 views)
Old 6 June 2015, 05:44 AM   #12
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
i would not get both, but 15202 > 15300 for sure. id at least inquire about how much cash to top up. i'm not much for sentimentalness, always that next to go after if its not getting wrist time. only watch I can't let go of is one my wife gave me for our engagement. believe me, thought about trading that too - multiple times
I have a Hublot Big Bang limited edition i have been wanting to sell it from the past 2 years i think out of my 6 watches that really needs to get out. So ill most likely trade and money for a 15202, i even really liked the blue dial ROC but its a bit thick for my taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-6.jpg (98.6 KB, 390 views)
Old 6 June 2015, 06:45 AM   #13
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Man don't tell this to your wife, she'll kill you

Quote:
Sending it this week to get DLC PVD coated. Just love the custom black look.
You should leave it the way it is and get a AP diver, either the ceramic or the FC, I don't like when the bezel is FC as the edges wear off faster than ceramic but when it's the case and ceramic bezel like it's the case, it's fine by me, like this you will have an all black watch, the sub non date is awesome, I wouldn't DLC it, it's nice to do on some Panerai models but on a sub I wouldn't, but if you really like it in black it's your watch and your money, do what you want

Quote:
I have a Hublot Big Bang limited edition i have been wanting to sell it from the past 2 years i think out of my 6 watches that really needs to get out. So ill most likely trade and money for a 15202, i even really liked the blue dial ROC but its a bit thick for my taste.
You're gonna get killed on resale with the Hublot, hope you bought it very very well, you'll be lucky if you sell it 50% of the retail price if the resale is how I heard many times it was
Old 6 June 2015, 06:54 AM   #14
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You should leave it the way it is and get a AP diver, either the ceramic or the FC, I don't like when the bezel is FC as the edges wear off faster than ceramic but when it's the case and ceramic bezel like it's the case, it's fine by me, like this you will have an all black watch, the sub non date is awesome, I wouldn't DLC it, it's nice to do on some Panerai models but on a sub I wouldn't, but if you really like it in black it's your watch and your money, do what you want

You're gonna get killed on resale with the Hublot, hope you bought it very very well, you'll be lucky if you sell it 50% of the retail price if the resale is how I heard many times it was
I didn't pay $1 for the hublot it was a gift, i have been thinking about the diver a lot btw i saw your thread and you made me start thinking about one but not in steel. I actually got really bored of my sub i don't wear it and its weird but good thing i am on the AP side of the forum custom and customising Rolexes is what got me into the brand all their good watches i want is in gold and i can't wear gold. I really think if i am getting a AP 15202 my 15300 won't get any love, about the diver though i have been looking into the white diver and a F.P journe chronometre bleu but i would rather have a lange before a F.P journe.
Old 6 June 2015, 07:16 AM   #15
lapince
"TRF" Member

The white diver is also very cool, but it's white, if you like why not since you have a few watches in rotation, since I have only 1 left, my 5712, I need something I can wear more often, so needs to be black.

Of course if you get the Jumbo I think the 15300 won't get a lot of love, but at the same time it's 2 very different watches, thicker and white, thinner and blue, the white is too dressy for my taste, I think you will wear much more the 15202 but you should still find occasions on which to wear the 300…

I also thought FPJ for a while, the bleu also of course, but when I got to know that a simple service for a simple time only was around 2.5K, that is too much for me, not the price in itself, but the fact that it's around 15% of the price of the watch, and still for a time only piece the price is huge, I think it's the price at Patek for at least an AC with moon phase and date, and it may even be a little cheaper than that, anyways my wishes are at my signature, my 5712 is and will probably remain for a long long time my favorite watch, best daily watch I know of, works with everything, from shorts and tongs to suit and tie, but you know that since you have one, then the AP ceramic diver, that will be solved on June 24th, ALS Datograph in 2-3 years I hope, and RM the black carbon Nadal model, the simple one not tourbillon of course I would LOVE to have a skull, but let's face it, 500K I would really need to find some hidden treasure under my house or win the Lottery, and a 5711, sometimes I think of a Jumbo, would change from my 5712, but I prefer the 5711, and I understood I need to get what I like most, not what makes a well rounded and diverse collection...
Old 6 June 2015, 07:29 AM   #16
TheMethod
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I sold my white dial Royal Oak when I got the 15202 and replaced the white dial in the lineup with a Daytona. I would definitely get the 15202.
TheMethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2015, 07:37 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
I didn't pay $1 for the hublot it was a gift, i have been thinking about the diver a lot btw i saw your thread and you made me start thinking about one but not in steel. I actually got really bored of my sub i don't wear it and its weird but good thing i am on the AP side of the forum custom and customising Rolexes is what got me into the brand all their good watches i want is in gold and i can't wear gold. I really think if i am getting a AP 15202 my 15300 won't get any love, about the diver though i have been looking into the white diver and a F.P journe chronometre bleu but i would rather have a lange before a F.P journe.
I'm that case, it's time for a Lange
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2015, 07:41 AM   #18
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I'm that case, it's time for a Lange
I wish.. a lot of the platinum Langes i want are over $30k especially the new dato with a power reserve or their platinum world time.
Old 6 June 2015, 07:59 AM   #19
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=lapince;5889800]Man don't tell this to your wife, she'll kill you

i hear you, what's a wis to do
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2015, 08:51 AM   #20
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

What's the 6th watch? The Hublot has to go. Do you have another to put with it on the Jumbo?
rebel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2015, 09:43 AM   #21
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wish.. a lot of the platinum Langes i want are over $30k especially the new dato with a power reserve or their platinum world time.
You know that second hand, or even through a grey dealer new, they take a HUGE hit, so when you buy right with them it's, IMO a great deal, for 40K or around, you can get a Datograph, the 39mm, ok no power reserve but I prefer the old version, there's something to it...

[QUOTE=ap1;5889935]
Quote:

i hear you, what's a wis to do
To say the truth it's mine which usually tells me to get a watch when I'm hesitating, if not her I probably would have 1 sub, 1 Pam and that's it, had 9 at one point, but I consolidated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
What's the 6th watch? The Hublot has to go. Do you have another to put with it on the Jumbo?
+1 on the Hublow
Old 6 June 2015, 10:14 AM   #22
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
I have been thinking the past week or so wether i should pull the trigger and go on a full hunt for a steel 15202 but, i also was thinking do i actually need a 15202 when i have a 15300. I know a lot of people would say 5711>15202 and 15202>15300 but i already have a 5712 and a 15300 and atm the 15202 is my grail watch, just not sure if i should get a 15202 or go for another AP out there. My high end collection atm is a 5712,5164 and 15300 (have 3 more but they don't fall in my high end section). If anyone out there has a recommendation on my next AP the max budget i am willing to put on an AP is $30k USD.
The Jumbo 15202 will be nicer and far better proportion ( yes a bit subjective but that's my opinion ) than the 15300. However, the 15300 being thicker will feel more robust. The 15202 Jumbo is kind of close to your 5712A as both are dressier thin sporty watch. So matter of choice really.

For your budget, you can also consider a ceramic Diver, an ROC in SS, a 15300OR in RG or the 44mm SS ROO which looks very cool with a white strap.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2015, 10:15 AM   #23
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you get the 202 I think you will sell the 300 and then plus the Hublot and another and you can start looking at a new PP or Lange.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2015, 10:19 AM   #24
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I would trade in 300 toward 202...they would be too similar and the 202 felt so very much better on the wrist imho
Old 6 June 2015, 12:04 PM   #25
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
15202 is the classic, the iconic, the quintessential AP. you need it in your collection!
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2015, 03:19 PM   #26
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post

I have a JLC geophysic

Old 6 June 2015, 03:36 PM   #27
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

If I don't get a 15202 and a diver instead what are your thoughts on the new ROC the limited edition ones with a rubber strap?

Old 6 June 2015, 06:11 PM   #28
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If I don't get a 15202 and a diver instead what are your thoughts on the new ROC the limited edition ones with a rubber strap?

prefer the diver or 202
Old 6 June 2015, 08:06 PM   #29
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Quote:
prefer the diver or 202
I can see myself buying a steel diver down the road but i also don't enjoy heavy/thick watches, i tried a FC diver which i liked but i am not sure about scratches and polishing it. The 15202 has been my grail watch for a while and i think its better to follow what i really love.
Old 6 June 2015, 08:07 PM   #30
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
The Jumbo 15202 will be nicer and far better proportion ( yes a bit subjective but that's my opinion ) than the 15300. However, the 15300 being thicker will feel more robust. The 15202 Jumbo is kind of close to your 5712A as both are dressier thin sporty watch. So matter of choice really.

For your budget, you can also consider a ceramic Diver, an ROC in SS, a 15300OR in RG or the 44mm SS ROO which looks very cool with a white strap.
I am going watch shopping/hunting this week i will try the 44mm and the diver